• Published 14th Jul 2014
  • 3,040 Views, 75 Comments

Twilight Sparkle and the Tomb of the Sun - UhOh



Twilight Sparkle, scholar and adventurer extraordinaire, has journeyed to the ends of the earth in search of the single most significant find in the history of academia. What she discovers is something else entirely...

  • ...
7
 75
 3,040

Chapter Two

“Who are you and what are you doing with my diary?”

The voice was deafening, cutting straight to Twilight’s brain without waiting for her ears to do their job. The startled unicorn performed an about-face that would have impressed any guard drill sergeant and came face-to-chest with the largest pony she’d ever seen. “I, er, wha—bwuh?” Twilight stammered as she craned her head upwards to gawk at the mare before her.

She was white, whiter still than anything else in the room. Her coat seemed to radiate light, and above all else, she was lovely. Beyond lovely, really—quite frankly it was almost painful to look directly at her. The stranger’s mane and tail were composed of several pastel colors that intriguingly moved in a breeze that only affected her. The most striking feature was, of course, her height—she was easily as tall at the withers as Twilight would be at the horn whilst standing on her brother’s back, but she carried herself with an easy grace that belied her size.

The apparition frowned slightly and Twilight was overcome with the sudden, pressing need to apologize. Thankfully, before she could make any more of a fool of herself, the white mare spoke again.

“I believe I am speaking in your language, my little pony. Do me the courtesy of a response.”

“I, I’m sorry; I wasn’t expecting to meet anypony. My name is Twilight Sparkle, I’m a scholar from Canterlot, and I—I’m sorry, did you say your diary?” Twilight wilted. A diary? No, that simply wasn’t possible. She hadn’t come all this way for a diary.

“I don’t suppose your diary is The Repository of all mortal knowledge past, present, and future, is it?” she asked weakly.

The white mare tilted her head and considered the suddenly downtrodden pony. “No. That seems rather unlikely.”

Twilight slumped to the floor resting on her haunches, the picture of despondency; a moment later the massive pony sat beside her comically attempting to mimic the position. “So,” Twilight started with a forced casualness, “I don’t suppose you’re The Repository of all mortal knowledge past, present, and future, are you?”

“While I would say that I am quite knowledgeable in many things, I fall woefully short of the parameters you’ve set forth.”

“Yeah, I figured as much. But hey, you never know, right? I mean I certainly didn’t think I’d find the world’s most beautiful unicorn living in a fortress at the ends of the earth.” The mare coughed politely and stretched a white wing its full length. “Ah, my apologies. The most beautiful winged-unicorn, then.”

Pink eyes focused in on Twilight with a disconcerting intensity. “Do you know who I am?”

“Well, if any of the legends are to be believed you’re the Allrhaurn, the guardian of…well—your diary, I guess.”

The white mare smiled and it filled Twilight with a wealth of overpowering emotions so sudden and so out of place that she knew they couldn’t be hers. Remorse, relief, and curiosity were the three most prevalent emotions. Twilight shook her whole body forcefully; it was such a bizarre thing to feel somepony else’s emotions so thoroughly that she blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

“How are you doing that?”

The Allrhaurn seemed puzzled by the sudden outburst. “How am I doing what?”

“I could feel what you were feeling—your sorrow, your shame—how did you do that without casting a spell?”

There was a moment of silence, and Twilight was afraid for a moment that she’d overstepped and was about to be punished in some barbaric, ancient pony fashion. Then the most wonderful thing happened; the white mare blushed. It was the most equine thing she’d done thus far and bizarrely it put Twilight more at ease.

“My apologies, Twilight Sparkle. I have fallen out of practice in the ways of communicating with mortals; it will not happen again.”

Twilight’s mouth hung open incredulously. “With ‘mortals’? Okay, just who are you? What are you?”

“I’ve had many names over countless ages, but the truest one, the one I am most fond of, is Celestia.” There was a brief pause as though the mare was waiting for some sort of reaction from her guest. “I am an alicorn; a single pony that possess all the traits of the three pony tribes.”

“And immortal?” Twilight asked with great interest. Alicorns sounded like some sort of superstitious explanation for a fluke of genetics; ponies could and did embody two of the three pony types at once, albeit infrequently and with varying levels of success. Actual immortality, though, was impossible so far as modern magic was concerned. It presented a far more intriguing conversation point.

Celestia paused, seeming to weigh her words with caution. That probably meant Twilight looked far too curious about the answer, so the unicorn tried her best to forcibly relax her expression into something that wouldn’t betray her ravenous academic appetite.
“Extremely long-lived might be more accurate. Though alicorns do have the ability to transcend mundane realms, my powers are not without limitations.”

Twilight had a feeling she wasn’t getting the whole truth from the alicorn, but she was willing to let it slide until the mare volunteered more answers. Or, she’d at least let it slide until her head stopped hurting from the splitting headache Celestia’s voice had most generously gifted her.

“Is the voice thing a part of being an alicorn?” she asked dryly.

“‘The voice thing’?”

“You’re reverberating in my skull.”

“Oh. Oh! I am sorry, is that better?”

The words were spoken by a delicate voice that reached her ears before she heard them in her head, and it was a very strange thing not to take for granted.

“Yes, thank you.”

“Now I have a question for you, Twilight Sparkle. Where are we?”

Alarm bells begin to sound in Twilight’s mind. Ponies had, over the years, often labeled the young scholar as cynical or jaded—even paranoid—but Twilight preferred to think she had simply honed excellent self-preservation instincts over the years. After all, every pony who tried to make a living in academia knew that it was no place for the faint of heart or meek in spirit; some ponies took ‘publish or perish’ a bit too close to heart. So, all things considered, it was incredibly disconcerting for Twilight to realize that this stranger had completely lulled her into a trusting state with little more than a smile.

Twilight Sparkle’s eyes narrowed in newfound suspicion as she regained her hooves and made some space between them; there was no way she was letting some pretty face pull one over on her. Questions that should have sprung to mind immediately began to build up and sally forth in rapid fire.

“How is it that you don’t know where you are? How long have you been here? What are you even doing locked up in this place anyways?”

Celestia seemed to immediately take note of the change in Twilight’s in body language. The alicorn politely retreated further and reclined on the bare floor, presumably to set her guest at ease.

“Fair questions all. I hope you don’t mind if I summarize events briefly though, Twilight Sparkle, as it is a very long story that took place many ages ago. It starts with two regal sisters who ruled together and created harmony for all the land…”








__________

Thanks to The Proofreader Group I was able to connect with a proofreader to help improve my story.

Thank you, CartsBeforeHorses, for taking the time to edit this story and work to make it better. To my readers I suggest you go and take a look at his stories--he's prolific!

Author's Note:

I've added the 'romance' tag even though I'm not sure whether anything is going to come of Twilight's appreciation of Celestia. I know ships aren't everyone's cup of tea and I thought I'd make note of the possibility to save readers time.