• Published 11th Apr 2012
  • 12,729 Views, 175 Comments

In Search of the Sun - CosmicWaltz



Twilight must lead her friends on an adventure with Discord to find a cure for Princess Celestia

  • ...
12
 175
 12,729

Chapter 3

In Search of the Sun
By CosmicWaltz


Chapter 3


It was a short walk ahead before the group would reach the mountain range Discord had only referred to as the Outer Ridge. Beyond lay the lands outside of Equestria; alien terrain to the mortals that composed the adventuring party. The rocky surface looked to rise steep from the earth, visible just above the treeline. Climbing this jutting height would be exhausting, but any distance put between them and the perilous river they had just passed seemed wonderful at this moment. Nopony was willing to forget the dangers they had just faced.

Twilight looked up at the moon frozen above them. She wondered what time it would be now, and yearned for the warm rays of the sun to kiss her dampened coat. Behind her, the rushing waters of the Everfree River still roared, reminding her of the danger she had placed her friends into. Everypony would reinforce her, saying it was because of her that they escaped, but she knew that if she had not taken the situation so lightly, they would never have been beneath those terrible waters in the first place. Spike lay on her back, his heart still fluttering from their previous ordeal. He wouldn't even be here if she had thought this out. Her friends could defend themselves, she knew, but despite how mature he carries himself sometimes, Spike was still just a young dragon. She was his guardian and protector. He looked to her as a big sister, and she brought him into this mess. All of the times she had crossed the Everfree Forest to see Zecora, and with her friends, she had forgotten the true threats the forest could pose. There was no turning back now, however. They had to complete their quest. She thought of Princess Celestia again, and the alicorn's weakened state. Her pale features no longer shining in radiance, and her mane drained of its resplendence. The image haunted her, but strengthened her resolve to see this through. She vowed to do better by her peers, and not to take this mission for granted again.

"Hey, Twi? You okay?" Spike asked, raising a brow at the unicorn.

Twilight snapped from her mind, ceasing her autonomous walking. She smiled back to the dragon. "Yeah, just caught up in thought."

Spike smiled back, though with an exhausted look glazed in his eyes. "Good. You had me worried."

As Spike let his eyes fall closed in rest, the unicorn promised to let nothing happen to him. Before her, she saw that they were now approaching the foot of the mountains.

"Welcome to the Outer Ridge!" Discord exclaimed, holding his talon out towards the structure. The grey surface glistened in the moonlight by the quartz powdering its face. Numerous small cave openings were visible, dotting its length as far as anypony could see. "It's the final landmark before we leave Equestria, but it's a hard climb," the draconequus continued. Beneath his breath, he added, "It'd be easier if I had my magic."

"What's the problem?" Rainbow Dash asked, their recent encounter still driving her adrenaline. "You've got wings, ya know? You can just fly all the way to the top like me and 'Shy!"

Discord folded his arms, scoffing. "I could, if not for my leash." He nudged his head towards Twilight, the unicorn casting a glare back in return.

"Looks like yer hoofin' it with th' rest'a us," Applejack continued. "Besides, we need t' stick together." She directed her attention to Rainbow Dash. "So no flyin' off ahead, ya hear!"

"Ugh! Fine, mom..." Dash answered. She rolled her eyes, upset that she would be stuck at a slow pace.

Pinkie suddenly bounced up behind the pegasus with a gasp, despite being nowhere near just a second ago. "Applejack's your mom?! Why didn't anypony tell me this?!"

Nopony in the group knew whether or not to take Pinkie seriously in moments like this, so a near-unison sigh from the others sufficed for an answer. Discord, however, was chuckling mad at the pink pony's antics. "Of course she is, Pinkie!" he answered, holding his sides. "And Fluttershy's her dad, and Spike's her big brother! Hahaha!"

Rainbow Dash crossed her hooves over her chest as she hovered in place, the immortal's words obviously affecting her. She hated being the brunt of a joke. "Yeah, yeah, laugh it up, Rockie!" she fought back with her own mocking tone.

"Oh, hardy-har-har," Discord returned, a smile never leaving his face. He ran his paw down his mane. "You're just jealous of my statuesque looks!"

"Duh!" Pinkie joined, giggling. "Everypony knows you're a stone-cold looker!"

"Yeah! You rock!" Spike spoke up, taking part in the humorous banter.

"Ah dunno," Applejack quietly laughed along, enjoying the joking puns. "Some would say he's awfully stiff!"

"Y-yeah," Fluttershy added, attempting to get in on the fun. "Like talking to a brick wall!" She caught herself, retreating back into her reserved nature. "Oh, if that's, um, funny, I mean... Please don't be upset..."

The small group was laughing even harder now, each holding their sides as they let the silly moment sink in. Only Rarity and Twilight abstained from this diversion.

"This isn't the time for jokes!" Twilight interrupted, taking an authoritative tone. "We're on a mission!"

Discord sobered again at her demands. "Fine, fine! Party pooper." He rose from the ground he was just rolling on in laughter, stepping towards the mountainous expanse ahead. "I think I see a foothold over there. Going to be quite the work out, you know?"

"Discord, darling?" Rarity finally spoke, visibly stunning the immortal with the oddly friendly term she had attached. She had been staring at the mountain since they had arrived, scanning its surface. "Didn't before you mention something about 'Diamond Caves'?"

Discord shook off the strange effects being called "darling" had on him. "Yes, this is the place. The entire ridge is full of gems and crystals." He picked up a small rock beside him, crumbling it in his talon. Littered within the dust and debris that fell away were numerous gemstones of various color and size.

As the crystalline bounty sparkled in the moonlight, so did desire glisten in the unicorn's eyes. Plans had changed for her. "Girls, I'll see you on the other side. Spike and I will cut through the mountain and explore these caves."

Spike was caught unaware. "Wait, we are? Sure!" Despite being uncertain of the call, he didn't need much persuading to join the glamorous unicorn that held his affections. He hopped from Twilight's back, rushing to Rarity's side.

Discord scoffed. "Don't be a foal. You're not the only one here greedy for those gems, you know? The whole rock is overrun with diamond dogs."

Rarity helped Spike climb onto her own back, standing again with the dragon. "Oh, come now! Diamond dogs? Those brutes are too slow to catch a cold! There's no threat there." She began walking into one of the caves nearby. "We'll set up camp on the other side. See you then! Ta-ta!"

"Rarity, wait!" Twilight called, but was unanswered.

Discord watched the pony walk into the darkness, a worn scowl on his face. "Well, they're dead. Let's get to climbing."

"What! We can't go without'em!" Applejack exclaimed with a menacing look directed towards the draconequus.

"Looks like we are!" Discord returned, grabbing onto a jutting rock and pulling himself up. "Because I'm not going into those caves."

Twilight growled in her throat, growing angry at the arrangement that set her along with Discord. She did have one advantage over him, however. "Oh, yes we are! Come on, girls!"

The remaining ponies charged into the caves after their friends. Discord watched as they passed, disinterested in their course of action. That was, until he felt the faint tug of magic, reminding him of his bounds to Twilight. He sighed, knowing what to expect. "Drat..." Instantly, the magic ties pulled at him, dragging him harshly against the rock wall towards the opening of the cave, and tossing him in as he reached the mouth.

--

As the group slowed, Discord was able to catch up, outrunning the powerful magic wall that kept him within distance. Together, they searched for the missing unicorn and dragon. Around them, the light cast by Twilight's horn shimmered against the crystal-lined rock walls, creating a dazzling rainbow-refraction through the prisms. Stalactites and stalagmites lined the passages like teeth in the maw of a ferocious dragon. Various forms of fungi glowed with bioluminescence along the walls. As intimidating as the dark caves were, they saw no signs of habitation from any other creatures, much to their relief.

Twilight marveled at the visuals around them. "This place is amazing." She could have spent days classifying each form of plant-life they encountered, and collecting gem specimens for magic study. "I can't believe I never knew of these caves!"

"I know!" Pinkie exclaimed, bouncing along. "It's so pretty! This would be a great place for a party! Ooh! Ooh! Or a rave!" She grabbed one of the brightly glowing mushrooms along the cave floor in her teeth, snapping it at the base of its stalk, and proceeded to dance around as though it were a glowstick. Within seconds, however, the bitter, astringent taste caught her tongue, causing her to promptly reject the fungus and spit it out. She stuck out her tongue, rubbing the horrid flavor away with her forehooves.

Discord was unamused even by Pinkie's antics, still sore from his rather unglamorous invite to their search party. "It's on the Equestrian border. Trust me, those greedy Princesses of yours wouldn't pass up making this territory their own if they didn't have to. This isn't a friendly place."

"Aw, hush it!" Applejack retorted, scanning for the others. "Diamond dogs ain't nuthin' to worry 'bout."

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash picked up. "Rarity's dealt with a whole pack of them before, alone!" She laughed as she recalled the state they found the Ponyville diamond dogs in after their day with the unicorn. They were begging them to take her off their paws. "If they can't even handle that pageant pony, we'll be fine."

Even Fluttershy walked on with a smile. "I'm not even scared of them, and I'm scared of a lot of things."

Discord cocked a brow in confusion. "I don't know what sad breed of diamond dogs you have in Ponyville, but I assure you, some whining glamor-pony and a baby lizard won't win over a true dog."

"What are you going on about?" Twilight asked, shining a beam of light down a narrow branch of the cave beside her. "Rarity can handle herself, and so can we. It's not that big of a deal."

Discord crossed his arms, frustrated. Under his breath, he spoke. "Just like how Everfree was a cakewalk, huh?"

Twilight froze in her tracks. She was immediately reminded of the ordeal in the river, and how she had taken the Everfree Forest too lightly, despite warning. If she was wrong about that, she could just as easily be wrong now. She spun to face Discord. "What do you know about diamond dogs?"

Discord smiled wryly. "Oh, so now you're going to listen to big bad Discord? Well, maybe I'm tired of talking." He turned his head away, sticking his nose in the air.

Twilight was in no mood for his games. "What do you know?!" she roared. The rest of the group took notice now, circling around the pair nervously.

Discord faced her again. "Ooh, fiesty. I like it! Fine, then. What's there to know? They're diamond dogs; vicious predators with a penchant for collecting shiny stones."

Fluttershy tensed. "Pr-pr-predators?"

"Well, duh," Discord replied dryly. "They'll eat just about anything with a pulse, including their own! I think that gets you the label of 'predator' in most circumstances." The shocked expressions he found returned to him gave him the answers he needed. "How do you ponies not know of this?! They're fearsome beasts!"

Twilight was floored. Diamond dogs were normally foreign to Equestria, the one pack on the outskirts of Ponyville being the only she had even heard of. She had taken from them that they were no threat, but had neglected further research, focusing on helping Rarity that day. Could they really be the monsters that Discord spoke of now? "Discord, you're joking, right? Tell me you are..."

Discord lowered himself to face Twilight. "If they weren't dangerous, why would I suggest taking the long way around?"

That was all Twilight needed. "We have to find them! Now!"

The search was hastened, each pony calling out for the missing two as they charged the passages.

"Spike!" Twilight shouted, her eyes darting down each forked channel they passed. "Rarity! Where are you!"

They rushed the length of the cave, pressed mad to find their friends. Applejack and Twilight took lead, with Rainbow Dash overhead. Fluttershy ran behind them in the center of the group, repeating a mantra of "oh-no-oh-no" in cycles. Behind her ran Discord, mostly just to keep himself from being dragged along by the amulet's limit again.

Ahead, a dull light radiated from around a corner. Twilight easily recognized it as the light of unicorn magic. She nodded to Applejack as they neared, and the group pressed themselves even harder. They rounded the corner with a skid, unsure of what to expect.

There was Rarity, scanning the area with her magic, and Spike, a huge collection of large gems stacked in his arms.

"Rarity! Spike! We found you!" Twilight exclaimed, overjoyed to find her friends unharmed. She pounced the two with a hug, sending the gems Spike carried flying in all directions.

Rarity was caught off guard, yelping as she was rolled by the hug. "Twilight?! What is the matter?!"

Twilight caught herself, raising off of the two. "Oh, whoops!" She blushed, embarrassed.

Spike found his feet, dazed by his sudden induction into a unicorn hug-sandwich. "W-what's happening?" he asked, shaking off confusion.

Twilight stifled a giggle before remembering the urgency of the matter. "I'm so glad we found you! We have to get out of here!"

"Leave?" Rarity asked, standing again. "When there are so many wonderful gems around?"

"I don't think it's safe here, Rarity," Fluttershy said, stepping towards her long time friend. "Please, let's go?"

Rarity smiled warmly to the pegasus. "Darling, I assure you, it's perfectly safe here. The most ghastly thing in this cave is the dust!" She laughed, brushing a small spot of dirt from her hoof. "Spike and I are fine, and have been having a lovely time." She turned to the dragon. "Isn't that right?"

Spike had again stacked the tower of gems in his arms, straining under their formidable weight. "Y-yeah... This is f-fun..."

Discord smiled, walking to the dragon. "That looks heavy. Here, let me help." He plucked a large sapphire from an alcove on the ceiling, dropping it on the pile Spike carried. The little dragon's knees briefly buckled under the added weight before giving out. An avalanche of priceless stones tumbled over the dragon, burying him underneath, much to Discord's delight.

Twilight ignored the rather mean stunt, again trying to sway the unicorn. "Rarity, we're serious! We have to leave now, before-"

A low growl echoed from the shadows around them, cutting the unicorn's words short. The group froze, scanning their surroundings.

"W-what was that?" Spike asked, rising from the pile of gems.

Pinkie sat back, looking at her belly. "Well, I am kinda hungry."

Another growl was issued, louder now.

Discord looked around, only to find pairs of glowing eyes staring back. "I don't think that was your stomach, Pinkie..."

Fluttershy darted behind the draconequus, trembling. "Th-th-they're everywhere..."

"All right, girls," Applejack whispered quietly. "Let's jus' back away real slow-like, an' head back outside..."

With a different idea, Rainbow Dash shouted into the blackened spaces. "You don't scare us! Show yourselves!"

The hoard surrounding them in darkness didn't need more incentive. A dozen armor clad diamond dogs stepped from the shadows into the magic light of the unicorns, paws held up menacingly. The adventurous group bunched together staring down the new arrivals.

"Everypony stay calm," Twilight spoke softly. "Just leave this to me." She readied herself, preparing to flash-teleport herself and her friends to just behind the dogs. "When I say 'run', be ready to-"

Before she could finish, the attack began, as unseen dogs dove out of hiding, ropes and ties in hand. The other dogs quickly joined, overpowering the group of adventurers with ease.

--

Twilight was tossed into the rough metal cage, barely her own size, landing with a painful thud. Her hooves had been tied together with rope, and a strange stone-braided band was wrapped around her horn. The talisman containing Discord's magic was still around her neck, the diamond dogs unable to budge it. Luna had apparently granted only Twilight the ability to remove it, which the unicorn was now thankful for. She nudged herself around to see the dogs that threw her in. The small torch-lit room, carved out of the caves that tunneled through the mountain, was filled with diamond dogs, all clad in shimmering metal and gem armor and carrying all manner of warring implements, from rock clubs to quartz spears. They were passing around various effects from the captured party, including the uncovered gems, Rarity's bonnet, and Applejack's hat.

She looked to the cages beside her, her friends locked up in their own cells as well. Rarity had received the same treatment, being bound in ties, where the rest did not. She wore a confident look on her face, despite the circumstance. Fluttershy cowered in the corner of her cage, hopping from one side to the other whenever a dog came near. Spike and Pinkie Pie's cages were beside each other. The two were in the midst of a word game between their cells, both still smiling and laughing, and quieting whenever a dog would yell at them to stop. Applejack and Rainbow Dash were less sedate in their manner, trying their best to bust open their cells with what little movement they could muster, but to no avail.

Discord was also trapped in a cage beside the unicorn, though one the same size as the others. He was coiled about, filling the entire space with his face pressed hard against the bars. "Wonderful."

"Don't worry," Twilight whispered to the discomforted immortal. "I'll open these cells. When I do, get ready to attack."

Discord chuckled. "No, you won't."

Twilight scoffed at the draconequus' manner, but even if she had to take on the dogs on her own, she would. Besides, she knew Applejack and Rainbow Dash didn't need any further reason to start a revolt once the cages were open.

She felt the shift of magic powers within her, swirling through her and into the flute of her horn, swelling into an alteration of the world around her. She gave a final pulse, letting the spell free with a flash of light. The cages, however, stayed locked.

"W-what?" she asked, confused that her magic failed her. "What happened?" A few of the dogs that saw this attempt laughed at her misery.

"I told you you wouldn't," Discord answered flatly. "That chain on your horn is wound with amethyst. It's a stone that absorbs magic. There's nothing you can do."

"WHAT?!" the unicorn shrieked. "I don't have my magic?!"

"Not very fun, is it?" Discord teased, sticking out his tongue as best he could towards her.

Twilight struggled to get her hooves free, but the binds were secure. "Reach over here and help untie me."

"HA!" the immortal returned. "Okay, one: no, and two: 'reach over'? I can't even scratch my nose in here! My wings are in knots around my horns and my tail feels like it's jammed up my-"

"SHUT UP!" a guard dog yelled, bashing the top of Discord's cage with a club.

The draconequus groaned. "You get the point."

Rarity had overheard the conversation. "There's no need for worry. I know these brutes look fearsome, but appearances can be deceiving." She watched as two of the guards passed around her bonnet, trying it on for laughs. One guard, however, forgot to take off his helmet first, splitting the hat as he forcefully tried to put it on. Rarity grimaced as her custom work was ruined. "Though, they are rather uncivilized! Let's not waste our time. I'll have us out of here soon, just you watch. Oh, mister guard?"

Twilight tried to stop her friend. "Rarity, no! They're not like the others!"

"Please don't!" Fluttershy protested in her quiet voice.

"Mister guard!" the fashionable unicorn continued to call. "Yoo-hoo!"

"What does the mule want?!" the guard hissed, moving to the cages.

Rarity shrugged off the rude term. "I am no mule, sir. I am a pony, and a Lady, and wish to be addressed as such. Now, if you'd please, I'd like to speak with your leader."

The diamond dog was not amused by her tone, lowering his face to her cage. "Mule wants to talk? HA! Why should the mule get to see boss?"

Rarity kept her cool. The theatrics needed the right company, namely their "boss", as he was called. "I'll be sure to bring up this rudeness with you leader, I'll have you know. But, I can help you gentle- uh, dogs. Those gemstones you took off of us? I found them myself. I'm very adept at such matters, and I can do the same for your leader."

The guard rubbed his chin idly, eyes turned up in thought. "Mule may be useful after all." He fumbled with a keyring on his hip before finally locating the rusted key to Rarity's cell. Unlocking the cage, he threw the bound unicorn over his shoulder carelessly, carrying her like luggage away from the others, with "Lady" Rarity berating his uncouth behavior the entire way.

"Rarity!" Twilight called again, fighting her ropes. "Discord, we have to do something!"

"Let's start a petition! That'll show them!" the immortal laughed, mockingly. "We're not getting out of these cages, so there's nothing to do."

"We'll get out'a this yet," Applejack joined, trying to get enough space to buck the door of her cell open. "Jus' you watch."

Another guard walked by, hitting her cage with a gnarled cudgel. "Shut up, mules! No talk!"

Rainbow Dash rattled in her cell, furious. "If I get out of this cage, you're all in for it!" She rammed her shoulder against the bars, trying to pry the lock as best she could.

The guard only laughed. "You get out, mule. You get out for dinner! Hahaha!"

"D-d-d-d-dinner?!" Fluttershy cried, shrinking even further into a curled, trembling ball.

"Great!" Pinkie exclaimed happily, rubbing her stomach. "I'm starving!"

On the far side of the room, Rarity was carried to her destination. The guard dropped her hard on the floor. "Careful, you ruffian!"

She found herself before an ornate, gem-encrusted throne, the largest of the dogs sitting in its seat. An elaborate crown of crystals sat on his head, and he held a decorated metal staff with a huge ruby on its end, showing his status. The shining silver plates he wore made his blackened coat look even darker, and his beady eyes seemed to glow with a vicious light.

"Why have you brought me this prisoner?" he asked the guard, his voice considerably deeper than the other dogs'. Rarity had to admit that she was impressed to hear more proper sentence arrangement from him. Maybe he'd be more sociable than she had expected.

"Mule say she can help us get gems!" the guard proudly boasted, his tail wagging as though expecting reward.

"She said she can help us?" the leader asked, narrowing his eyes. "So you let her out?"

The guard began to nod wildly, his metal helmet clattering with each shake, and slobber flying in all directions.

Rarity cleared her throat. "Yes, your kingliness, I-"

"YOU MORON!!" Her sentence was interrupted by a loud crash, the leader bringing his scepter down violently onto the guard's head, shattering the dog's helmet as it broke through. The dog fell to the stone earth, his body limp. The leader turned to the two guards by his throne. "Throw him in the pit! We have no use for an imbecile!" Hopping to his commands, the guards dragged the incapacitated dog off down a branching corridor of the cave, disappearing into the darkness.

Rarity's eyes were wide with horror, her words caught in her throat at the terrible display. "I-I-I-"

The leader grabbed the collar of her jacket, lifting her to his eye level. "What is your name, mule?"

"R-R-Rarity! My name is Rarity!" The games were over now, and she knew such. These weren't the same dogs she had met before.

"Rarity," he repeated, staring with piercing eyes at her. "And what can you do for me? Find gems?"

"Y-yes!" Rarity sputtered, nodding as adamantly as the guard had moments before. "I can find you gems!"

The leader narrowed his eyes at her. "You're lying."

"N-no! I swear!" Rarity begged, not wanting to wear this dog's patience too thin. "I-I can show you!" She smiled as best she could through her fear, trying to convey her sincerity.

Her smile was met by the toothy, malicious grin of the dog. "We'll see." He dropped her back onto the ground. With a razor sharp claw, he sliced the braid from her horn, freeing her to use her magic. "Prove it, mule."

Rarity didn't need to be ordered twice. Magic glowed at her horn, illuminating the hidden gems within the walls to her eyes alone. She levitated a small fragment of the smashed helmet from the floor around her, using it to mark locations. "There are some th-there, and a f-few over there, a-and, some right there. See f-for yourself!"

Without removing his scornful eyes from the unicorn, he ordered more of his dogs to dig. Within seconds, bounties of gems were found in the spaces, verifying her abilities.

The diamond dog leader was impressed. "That is a useful power."

Rarity smiled, relieved. "I can help you. We can harvest every gem in these caves."

The leader glared at her. "And, surely you expect something for this?"

"Well, yes..." Rarity glanced back at her friends in their cages, all now looking with worry back to her. "I only ask... that you let my friends go."

"Rarity!" Twilight shouted, shocked at the request. "You can't!"

"Don't ya go tryin' t' be th' hero, Rare!" Applejack shouted, pressing herself hard against the door of her cell.

"Whoo! Go Rarity!" Discord shouted. "Get me out of here!"

"I got you into this mess," Rarity answered, her voice frail. Her gaze fell down to the floor. "If you can escape, that's all I want."

The leader sat on his throne again, smiling to the unicorn. "I have a better offer."

Rarity snapped to attention, looking back to the dog. "W-what?"

He leaned back, stretching a leg over the side of his throne. "How about you help me, and I keep the prisoners!"

Rarity was horrified at the proposition. "W-what! There's no way I would agree to that!"

"Oh, you will," the leader answered. "Or I'll break every bone in your body. We only need that horn of yours to find gems."

Rarity recoiled in terror, her bound legs keeping her from straying far, however. "Y-y-you what...?"

"You!" the leader shouted, pointing to one of his guards. "Which should we eat first? The snake-horse looks exotic!"

"WHAT?!" Discord screamed from his cell, knowing which one of the group he was referring to. "Snake-horse?! I'm a Draconequus, I'll have you know! Dra-con-e-quus!"

The guard licked his chops, staring into the cells. "Nah. Too old. Baby dragon taste good, boss. Tender, and juicy."

Spike gulped, sliding back against the far wall of this cage. He was on the menu now.

"N-n-no," Rarity barely managed to speak. "You can't!"

The diamond dog leader ignored her. "You're right. Best eat him before he spoils, huh? HAHAHAHA!"

Twilight threw herself as best she could against her cage. "DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH HIM!!"

"Guards, fetch the lizard!" the leader issued from his relaxed pose. "Be sure to keep him alive. You only get that special flavor if they're still squirming in the pot!"

"N-no..." Rarity again uttered, watching the guards close in on Spike's cage. "NO!"

The leader turned again to the unicorn. "Do not worry. You are special. We'll eat you last."

Rarity ground her teeth, anger trembling through her. "You monster..."

The lead dog laughed. "Weak mule."

A smirk crept onto Rarity's face. "I'm no mule." Magic wound around her horn, glowing bright. "I'm a unicorn!" With a powerful pulse, the air was filled with the metallic clicks of cage-locks being turned.

Dash burst from her cage instantly. "CHARGE!!" She threw herself onto the first guard she saw, landing a flying kick to his face. Applejack was quick to follow, bolting from her cell and landing bucks to any dog that tried to stop her. As Spike's cell flung open, he jumped onto the first guard near his cell, sinking his fangs into the dog's leg, much to the guard's surprise. Pinkie and Discord poured out as well, joining the sudden melee.

The leader shot to the edge of his seat, shocked at the sudden uprising. "What?!"

Rarity laughed menacingly. "Didn't your mother teach you to never mess with a Lady!"

The dog growled, turning his attention back to the treacherous unicorn. "You... YOU MULE!" He reared back, sweeping his staff in a fast arc. The large gemstone barreled towards the prone unicorn, bashing her in the side of the head and sending her flying into the rock wall beside the throne.

"AGH!" Rarity fell to the floor with a heavy thud, a pain like she had never felt before flooding her mind. She tried to stand before another blow landed hard against her ribs.

Above her, the leader stared her down, rage burning like hellfire in his eyes. She tried to run, only to be reminded that her limbs were still tied. The dog lifted his staff. "YOU!" He landed another powerful blow to her side with the scepter, issuing another pained scream from the unicorn. "WORTHLESS!" A strike to her shoulder, firing a pain down the limb like ice. "RUNT!!" He reared back far, aiming the heavy gemstone for her head.

Applejack arched, bucking away another clueless guard, when Rarity's pained yelps caught her ear. She cut her eyes through the crowd, spotting the unicorn at last, helpless below the vicious ruler, readying himself for a final blow. "Rarity!" The farmer fired into action, charging at the assailant. "Leave 'er alone!"

She bowled headfirst into the dog's knee, dropping him from the limb with a yelp. "Ah! What is-" He was silenced immediately as Applejack landed a strong buck square in his jaw. He rolled backwards, knocked out cold.

Silence fell over the room as the remaining dogs watched their leader drop. With their tails between their legs, they were quick to retreat.

"Yeah!" Rainbow Dash shouted from her place in the air, one of the dog's metal helms set over her mane. "You better run!"

Discord twirled the club he had obtained in his paw. "I haven't had that much fun in ages! Haha!" He dropped into a handstand, holding his hoofed leg out towards Dash. "High hoof! Don't leave me hanging!"

"We won!" Spike shouted, a rocky lance held with difficulty in his hand as he rode on Pinkie's back.

Pinkie reared up, kicking her front legs. "Whee-ee-ee-ee-ee!" she whinnied, a smile still on her face.

Fluttershy had skulked her way into Twilight's cell, avoiding the fight as best she could. She helped untie the unicorn, pulling away the thick rope.

Twilight hopped up. "Is everypony okay?"

A round of voices confirmed their well-being, the dogs proving to be better at ambush tactics than fighting. The unicorn sighed with relief. One solemn whimper, however, shattered this happy state. "Oh, no. Rarity!"

The group charged to Applejack's side as she stood over the injured unicorn. "Rarity!" the farmer cried worriedly. "Rarity, talk t' me!"

Rarity wearily opened her eyes, staring back at the pony above. "A-App... Applej-jack...?" She was a mess. Heavy bruising was already visible on her side, seen through the many tears in her dirt-stained outerwear. A small trail of blood ran down her face from a cut by her ear. "Applejack... T-tell me..."

Applejack lowered her face to better hear her friend. "Tell ya what, Sugarcube?"

Rarity groaned as she tried to move. "T-tell me... is... is my outfit okay?"

Applejack drew back, a confused look on her face. Soon, her expression changed into a warm smile. "It sure is, Sugarcube. Ya look good."

"I look good?!" Rarity whined, lifting her head, sadness in her eyes.

Applejack bit her lip, looking away. "Uh... I meant 'great'?"

Rarity smiled, laying her head back down. "Thank you, darling."

The group helped untie the unicorn, being careful of her injuries. She managed to stand on shaking, weak legs with the aid of Applejack as a prop, though a bad limp crippled her walking. Together, the group beat a hasty retreat, opting for any exit they could find that would take them away from the caves.

--

Exiting a small opening near the top of the ridge, the adventurers eagerly filed out. They were fortunate enough to find a flat area, perfect for camping. A small stream of fresh water flowed nearby, supplied by the melted snow of peaks further above, and fresh grass and flowers found fertile ground along its bank.

Pinkie bounced over to the stream, taking a space by Rainbow Dash. "Who's going to keep watch for the night?"

Dash looked up the earth pony, blades of grass still clinging to her mouth as she chewed. "How do you know it's night?"

"Because it's dark out, silly!" Pinkie answered, taking a drink.

"Pinkie," Dash groaned, slapping a hoof to her forehead. "It's been dark all day."

Pinkie popped up, licking her lips of the water. "But it's supposed to be dark now. Before, it was day-dark, but now, it's night-dark! Duh!"

Dash turned, giving an incredulous look to the others. "Anypony understand that?"

"She has a point," Twilight said, lying down on a bed of foliage plucked from nearby bushes. "It sure does feel like it's night." She used her magic to start a small campfire out of dried vines. "We should rest here."

Applejack helped Rarity to lie down by the fire. She set her reclaimed hat back over her mane, adjusting it back how she liked. "With those dogs jus' below us? Ah don't know if that's th' best call." She lay down next to Rarity, not leaving the unicorn's side.

Rarity laid her head on her forehooves. "Those brutes won't be messing with us again. You all saw to that, I'm sure."

Spike ran up, taking to Rarity's other side. "Don't worry, Rarity. I'll protect you."

The unicorn smiled weakly, nuzzling the small dragon. "I'm sure you will, Spikey-Wikey."

"But what if they do come back?" Fluttershy asked, nervously looking around for any more hidden diamond dogs.

Discord groaned, curling himself on the ground. "I never sleep. I guess I'll keep watch."

"Not alone you won't," Twilight answered, not trusting the immortal. "I'll stay up with you." She looked up to the moon. Princess Luna should know that they were okay, she thought. "Spike, take a letter."

Spike looked around. "Uh, how?"

Twilight all at once remembered having lost the supplies in the Everfree River. She was resourceful, however. She looked about.

A mountain bush grew nearby, it's leaves wilting slowly from the lack of sun. She plucked the foliage with magic, laying the leaves in a layer before her. With another pulse, she fused the leaves into a sheet of paper, perfect for writing on.

Next, she found a small stone sitting beside her. Using alteration magic, she transformed the stone into a bowl. Moving smaller rocks into this bowl, she gave another burst of magic, and transformed the pebbles into ink.

Now, for a quill. "Hey, Rainbow Dash? Come here."

Though the pegasus wasn't happy to have one of her feathers so brazenly plucked, it had provided Twilight with a usable quill. She levitated the implement over to Spike. "Now, take a letter."

--

Dear Princess Luna,

We have reached the summit of a place called the Outer Ridge. Discord has been difficult, as expected, but we have made steady progress. We have lost our supplies, but we will manage. We will get this cure for Princess Celestia. I promise.

Twilight Sparkle, and company

--

With a flash of fiery breath, Spike sent the letter, its vapor trail disappearing into the night. His job done, he marched back to Rarity's side.

Twilight sighed, laying her head down against the leaves below. "I know we can do this."

"Ha!" Discord laughed, overhearing her. "Yeah, because we're certainly off to a wonderful start! A giant, prehistoric monster almost drowns us, and then, I'm almost turned into a decorative rug by a pack of crazed dogs! With an expert team such as yourselves, I'd say your Princess has nothing to fear."

Twilight glared at him. "Oh, shut up! I'm not happy about this arrangement either! If Princess Celestia didn't need us right now, there's no way I would ever, EVER work with you!"

Discord flapped his paw open and shut, mocking her. "'Celestia this', 'Celestia that'! You know, Twilight, you sound like a broken record. I don't even know why you follow that pony with your nose so far up her flank. Believe me, you're barking up the wrong tree."

"What do you have against Princess Celestia, anyway?" Twilight asked with an aggressive tone. "Still upset about being turned to stone? You deserved it for what you did, and you know it!"

Discord propped his head on his paw. "And just what did I do, Twilight Sparkle? Enlighten me."

"You were a malicious trickster, tormenting her subjects!" the unicorn barked.

A wry smile spread on Discord's face. "So you do believe everything you hear. Or, I suppose 'read' fits you more."

Twilight grimaced. "Don't play innocent, Discord."

"Me? I'm not innocent," the immortal answered, drawing lines in the soil with his clawed talon. "But perhaps there's more than you've heard."

"I've heard enough," Twilight returned, laying her head back down. "You're nothing but a liar and a cheat."

A small chuckle rose from the draconequus. "I'm not the only one. Tell me, who writes the history books? What does it say on every cover?"

Twilight's head lifted again, a strange realization in her eyes as his words sank in .

"That's right: the Palace Scholars. Celestia's own writers. Don't you think that maybe, and this is all hypothetical, but maybe they fabricated just a little bit?" He finished his drawing, moving his talon away to reveal a trace of Celestia's cutie mark carved in the dirt.

Twilight looked back to the immortal. "What are you saying?"

"What am I saying?!" Discord shouted. He smashed his fist down against the dirt. "I'm saying that maybe Luna turned into Nightmare Moon because her dear sister didn't pay attention to her! That maybe I wasn't the monster in my tale! That maybe your precious Princess isn't perfect! That maybe..." He calmed, moving his talon from the ruined picture in the soil. "That maybe she's made mistakes."

Twilight snorted. "She wouldn't lie to me."

Discord blew at the dirt, scattering the image. "But does she always tell you the full truth? Wake up, Twilight. Things aren't black and white." Liveliness flashed again in his eyes. "Ooh! But that does sound like an amazing color scheme! I'll have to remember that when I'm in power."

"Like you'll ever be in power again," the unicorn stated confidently. She looked back to her friends, all asleep from the tiring day. Rainbow Dash had pulled a small cloud down to the camp, resting just off the ground. Fluttershy was curled close to Pinkie and the fire, enjoying the warmth. Rarity was sandwiched between Spike and Applejack, sleeping off her injuries. She had been very brave today, and Twilight respected that.

"How come you're not asleep like they are?" Discord asked, breaking her concentration.

Twilight turned back. "I don't know. Just not tired."

Discord narrowed his eyes with a smirk. "Funny..."

"Ugh," Twilight groaned. "What now?"

"You're a night-body!" the immortal excitedly answered. "I mean, it's even in your name! Twilight! Without the sun to wear you out, you're too awake! How peculiar that you follow the sun when the night speaks to you loudest."

Twilight hadn't considered it before, but he was right. She was always more active at night. She would study well into the morning, and observe the stars and planets. Even her name signified the end of the sun's time in the sky. "Well, that's why I need the sun, then. More than anypony else. Night's just darkness without a day."

Discord smiled at her. "Never a truant, eh? Well, you're not the first to try and touch the sun. And some of us get burned." He laid his head back down on his hands.

"You never told us what the Eternal Realm was like, you know?" Twilight asked, hoping to learn more of their destination.

Without stirring, the immortal answered her. "It's full of ice-cream and puppies. Fun-fun-fun."

"You're lying."

"I always lie, and never tell the truth."

"You really don't like it there, do you?"

Discord turned to face Twilight again. "The Eternal Realm is where all immortals were born. Or made, or whatever we were. It was like a paradise. Anything we desired, anything we wanted, it made available for us. It gave us everything it could to make us happy. And we hated it for it."

Twilight drew back. "What? Why?"

"When you're given everything you want, you want nothing, Twilight. There's no joy in endless joy. We grew tired. We wanted more. Then one day, one of us escaped. He found an exit, and came back to tell us of a wonderful, wild world on the other side. One with struggle, and strife, and joy, and wonder. Life. Freedom from our wonderful prisons. The Eternal Realm wasn't happy about that. It wasn't happy that we wanted to be free. And it grew angry."

"Angry? It's just a place! How can it be angry?"

The immortal laughed. "It's no more 'just a place' than you are 'just a pony'. It's alive, in its own way. And when it's angry, you'll know it."

Silence lingered as Twilight waited to hear more. "So what happened?"

Discord, however, was done with his story, giving a loud, obviously faked snore. Twilight pouted, but didn't feel like pressing the issue more. "I know you're awake. You said you don't sleep."

"I always lie," he said, between snoring sounds.

Twilight yawned, stretching her neck. "You're on watch, remember? I'm going to get some rest." She laid down her head, letting her eyes fall closed as sleep took hold.