• Published 15th Nov 2014
  • 840 Views, 7 Comments

Somepony - Just_A_Nopony



Creatures of Darkness have invaded Equestria and taken Fluttershy's heart. Follow Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash and their new friend Nid as they travel the multiverse to battle the darkness and find Fluttershy.

  • ...
7
 7
 840

New Party Member!

Twilight, Rainbow and Spike flew through an aura of golden magic, spinning and bouncing them around within it. The path they traveled ran through an expanse of black space, dotted with bright stars and colorful auroras with the occasional meteoroid. The trio of Equestrians were shaken for the entirety of the journey, which lasted for several minutes. Eventually one star began to shine brighter than the rest, increasing in size and intensity until it blinded them. Finally, in a golden flash the ponies and drake were spit out onto a cobble plaza in a pile.

"Ooh, where are we?" Twilight climbed out of the pony pile and looked at their surroundings. They were standing at the top of what appeared to be a small mountain, with a large city wrapped around its form. The sun was just setting, reflecting light off of a giant clock tower in the distance, through a misty sheet of clouds over the waking town. A large gold statue of the sun was behind from where they arrived, the portal set in the center. A small tramway spiraled around the mountain’s length, stopping at the top.

"So we’re in a different world? Doesn't look any different from Equestria to me." Rainbow said as she gazed at the sight before her.

"It feels... different? The atmosphere seems to have a different magical field from what I'm used to. Not enough that it affects my magic, but it feels off," Twilight's horn lit up, testing the air. "And below the ground there's a darkness, a large source of dark energy. I think we should check that out while we’re here."

"Maybe, but first we should find this friend of the Princesses! They gave us these train passes so maybe he’ll help us figure out what to do next?" Spike said.

"Yeah, the Princesses didn't give us much to go off of in ways of supplies besides weapons to fight the Heartless, huh?" Rainbow mused. “Just sent us off without warning.”

"They do seem to do that a lot, don't they?" Twilight responded. "Any way, let's go!"

The three set off away from the magic statue down a path that led into the town. As they traveled on the main street, it quickly filled with ponies going about their day. Street became busy with the everyday hubbub of the market as ponies made their way from smaller streets, alleys, and even from off the roofs to shop.

Twilight stopped a passing pony with a question. "Excuse me, miss, I don't mean to bother you but where are we?"

"Twilight Town of course. What kinda tourist doesn't know what the name of the town they’re in?" The nameless mare gave Twilight a strange glance as she trotted off.

"Twilight Town, huh? Hmmmm..." Rainbow flew upside down as she put on a face of intense concentration.

"Um Rainbow? What are you doing?" Twilight asked.

"Trying to come up with a joke about the town's name and yours, but... Ah, I got nothing." She exasperated, ruffling her mane in irritation.

Spike brought a claw up to his chin. "How about... Bet they have a huge library!" The two mares looked at him with a flat expression. "Yeah, I didn't think so..."

All of a sudden the ground shook and a boom roared out through the town, startling its inhabitants. Smoke rose up into the air from the east. Two more explosions followed soon after and more smoke clouds floated into the fresh sea breeze.

"What the hay!?" The three yelled in impressive synchronization, though they were only a whisper in the midst of screams and shouts of panic from the populace.

"C'mon, let's go see what happened!" Rainbow raced towards the origin of the blasts, Twilight and Spike following after. The off-worlders arrived moments later at the base of the clock tower, a now noticeable series of train tracks leading out of it and smoke pouring out of the windows. There was a gaping hole in the wall through which the ponies and drake entered to a scene of battle. The walls were scorched from other smaller explosions, and one of the waiting trains was aflame. Three hulking white creatures were standing above the limp form of a unconscious stallion, charred from the explosion.

"Get back!" Twilight summoned her keyblade and threw it in a swirling arc. Her Strike Raid striking one of the creatures in the back and launching it across the room. The other two turned, revealing a strange silver symbol that adorned the white bandannas wrapped around their round heads. The bipedal creatures had several grey straps running across their bodies, showing only glimpses of the white 'skin' underneath, and had several spheres hanging off of them. A massive crossbow was gripped in their three fingered hands, but the weapons were quickly placed on the Bandoleer's backs and switched with two of the baseball sized spheres.

The Bandoleers threw several of the spheres from their straps at the trio, Twilight bringing up a shield at the last moment.. "ARGH!!" the Princess cried as an explosive impact hit her shield, causing it to break and throw her back into the wall behind her. She fell a moment later to collapse onto the floor.

"Twilight!" Rainbow growled and let out a shout as she dashed right for the creatures punching one across the face with her boots. She followed up with a series of rapid fire kicks to her target, causing it to fall to the floor. The other Bandoleer grabbed her by the scruff of her neck and rammed a bomb right up to her stomach and blasting her through the air to where the third Bandoleer, recovered from Twilight's attack, was waiting. It tried to hit the pegasus with two more explosives but with a flash of magenta light, Rainbow was teleported on the other side of the room with Twilight and Spike.

"What are these things!" Twilight's horn glowed green as she cast Cure on herself and Rainbow, slightly healing their burns.

"No... Achg, agh... Noponies. They’re Noponies," The three yelped in surprise as the mysterious stallion tried to lift himself up onto his hooves. "Ponies and other creatures that have... Auggghhh..." He winced in pain.

"Hold on, let me help!" Twilight cast the spell once more, but the it did little to help the severe wounds of the stallion. The spell drained Twilight's mana reserves, already suffering from her failed defense. She stumbled, only to be caught by Rainbow. Spike took a trembling battle stance in front of the trio as the Bandoleers approached.

"Oh, you're still conscious? You sure can take a beating!" A voice echoed through the station as the Noponies stopped. A black-cloaked stallion made his way out of the burning train wreckage, unharmed from the licking flames. With a flap of his cream-white wings he carried himself over to a place in front of the three minions. "Guess the Superior was right to be interested in you; you could be a thorn in our sides if left unchecked. And now a mystery mare appears, wielding such a strange weapon. This'll make an interesting report!" He clapped his hooves excitedly.

"Hey! What about me!" Rainbow cried indignantly.

"And me!" Spike added.

"Eh? When you'd two get here?" The pegasus cocked his head in confusion as Rainbow and Spike growled at him.

"But anyway, I might as well eliminate you as well; maybe the Superior will let me have a day off! Probably not, but its always good to be enthusiastic about your work!" The cream pegasus raised a hoof as the Bandoleers drew their crossbows, the bolts burning with an unbearable flame. "Ready..." Rainbow tried to fly away with Twilight and Spike, but several of her feathers were burnt off her wings. "Aim..." Twilight tried to raise up a magic shield but her horn just let out small sparks of magic. "Fire?" A glowing yellow projectile flew from seemingly nowhere and sliced through the three Noponies, turning them into several fabulous white sparkles.

"Huh?" The cloaked pony watched as the yellow 'star' flew off out a window and out of sight. But as it came spinning back, he let out a manly scream of fear and ran in the opposite direction. As the star reached his tail, he vanished into a shadowy portal that vanished as suddenly as it came. The attack soared off, not returning.

"What was..." Twilight, Rainbow, and Spike's jaws all hung low as they witnessed the powerful enemies defeated in a matter of seconds.

"That was... Ugh, my boss." The strange white stallion that was the target of the strange creatures and their leader managed to get his hooves completely under him and take a few steps forward. As he did, a mystic green flower bud appeared above the ponies and drake head's before blossoming into a beautiful pink rose with several vines reaching out. The green glow of the Curaga spell washed over the group, healing their wounds. Burns faded, feathers regrew, and a rib Rainbow didn't know was cracked snapped back into place, causing her to wince and scratch at the spot.

"Did your boss do that too?" Asked Spike as he hopped up onto Twilight's back.

"Yeah, he’s a pretty awesome wizard. But anyway, I've got to go talk with him." With that, the stallion pulled a slip of paper out of his mane and began to trot over to an unoccupied rail line. Rainbow flew over in front of him before he could go any further.

"Hold up bub, you aren't going anywhere till you explain, what... Those were... Hold on..." Rainbow swiped the small card the stallion was carrying and stared at it.

"Hey! Give me that!"

"Twilight! Its like the one we got from the Princess! A train pass just like ours!"

"You mean this?" Twilight pulled the train pass out from under her wing and held it up for the stallion to see.

"Where did you get that? The boss never gives anypony a pass for his train!" The surprised stallion said.

"We got it from my teacher. She said it was a way to meet a friend of hers and that he would help us with something we’re doing." Twilight tucked her pass away back under her wing.

The stallion rubbed his chin with a hoof. "Really? Well, I guess you can come with me to the tower and meet him if you have business with the boss."

"Hey, whats your name?" Spike asked.

"Me?" The stallion dramatically flipped his neon-green emo-hair over one eye and put on a derpy expression. "I am Leonidas Spartacus Maximus! But you can call me Nid."

"Nid?" Twilight looked confused. "But calling you Leo would be much more-"

"Nope! You may call me Nid or Leonidas Spartacus Maximus. Nothing more, nothing less."

"But that's just weird. It would make more sense to call you Leo, not Nid!" Twilight argued as the group walked over to a set of train tracks. Pulling out his pass and Twilight copying his motions, Nid threw the pass onto the tracks, the other joining it.. When it landed on the rails it turned completely gold and merged into the metal. Moments later, a blue and gold train with several decorations of stars backed up to the platform. A door opened on the side, and with only a little hesitation, Twilight, Rainbow and Spike followed Nid onto the train. The door shut and the train began to slowly move forward, picking up-

"Sh*t sh*t sh*t, super flaming sh*t, oh sh*t!" Nid bolted out of the train, bashing the door out of his way. With crazy speed, he ran over to the burnt corpse of the train from earlier, which had gone out. Reaching into the wrecked metal he pulled out a long Naginata, with a black and white checkered hilt and a glowing gold blade. The white stallion charged back into the train, and as the doors closed, the train set off. It traveled along a railway leading away from Twilight Town, across the ocean and towards the rising moon. With a flash, the train disappeared.


Spike and Rainbow peered out the star shaped windows as the magic train traveled high in the air far above a misty mountain range, obscured with a thick layer of wild clouds. The rails along which they traveled were made up of magic light, shimmering like a beautiful aurora under a clear night sky. As the two were peering out the windows, Twilight and Nid were talking, the unicorn only mildly interested in the magic train and the earth pony completely uncaring.

"So this unicorn is your boss?" Twilight inquired.

"My ancestors were friends of his, and so he’s “watched over their descendants”; really creepy if you ask me. I’ve just been working with him recently," Nid responded as he pulled a whetstone out from a small attachment built onto the bottom of his naginata.

"So was he friends with your grandparents?" Twilight asked as Nid began sharpening his weapon's blade.

"No, he was friend with my I-don't-know-how-long-ago relatives. Thousand years ago at most." Nid only screamed like a little filly a little bit when Twilight shrieked into his ear.

"WHAT?!?!" The white stallion's only response was to boop Twilight's nose with the butt of his weapon, the whetstone somehow replaced on it without drawing her attention.

"Don't scare me like that!” Nid stuck out his tongue.

“But how a thousand years? Is he an alicorn? Thats the only means of immortality I know of.” Twilight reasoned.

“Nah, its got something to do with his place and an ancient evil bound to it and stuff. I got bored halfway through.”

“Hey check it out! A tower!” Spike’s words caught the attention of two ponies, and Twilight went to the window Spike and Rainbow were gazing out. The train was approaching a floating island with a stone tower topped with blue cone turret roofs, painted with moons and stars. Several trees dotted the empty courtyard that made up the rest of the island. The Mysterious Tower stretched upwards towards the stars, the moon rising behind it.

“Has the sun moved the entire time we were on that train?” Asked Rainbow.

“Nah, the sun never moves here. Thats why its called Twilight Town,” Nid exited the train, his naginata acting as a staff. “Same with the moon. Nopony knows why, but the boss said it was because this world in in balance or something. I fell asleep during that lecture.”

“Yah, I fall asleep whenever Twi tries to tell me egghead stuff to,” Rainbow chuckled. Twilight gave her an unamused stare. “What? Its true! Half the stuff you say is way too nerdy.”

The group made their way through the door of the tower into the vestibule, a round room at the base of the stairs that rose up through the building. The party began climbing up the stairs, chatting as they went.

“And that's how Equestria was made!” Nid beamed.

“But- How- We weren't even talking about anything related to Equestria!” Twilight cried.

“We’re here!” Nid used his naginata to vault himself up the last few steps, crashing through the wooden door. “~I’m baaack!~” he shouted in a singsong voice.

“So I see. And you brought guests,” An old yet wise voice spoke in reply. “Please, do come in. We have important matters to discuss.”


Twilight stood in the doorway, jaw dropped and eyes glazed as Rainbow, Spike and Nid approached the stallion sitting behind a large table in a extremely high-backed chair. The room was plain, with bookshelves to one side and another door to the other, with star shaped windows revealing the starry sky outside, behind the unicorn. Speaking of, the elderly unicorn was the cause of Twilight’s paralysis. He was a blue-ish grey, with a long curly white mane, tail and beard, a blue droopy wizards hat covered with stars, moons, and bells along the rim nestled amongst his snowy locks. A similarly colored cloak with the same patterns and shiny bells obscured his cutie mark, held together by a simple gold neck piece.

“Greetings my little ponies. Welcome to my home; it has been far too long since visitors from another world have graced my presence,” Starswirl the Bearded calmly smiled as Nid hopped into a mechanical spinning chair, setting it into a slow rotation. Three other plain chairs awaited the travelers, ones Rainbow and Spike quickly took.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE” Twilight schreeched, all present wincing. “OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH YOU'RE STARSWIRL THE BEARDED!!!! EEEEHHHH!!”

“I’ve never been called ‘The Bearded’ before. Where did you hear that ridiculous title?” Starswirl said, after regaining his composure.

“Oh well, thats what they call you in Equestria! But, uh, well, how are you, um, how do I say, still alive? Records say you died ages ago!” Twilight nervously replied, making her way over to the offered seat.

“Equestria. Heh, I should have known. As for your question, I did not stay on my home world. I left, and after many adventures, I sealed a powerful darkness within this tower. In order to keep the darkness from escaping, I bound it’s prison to my life force and this entire building.” The ancient wizard’s horn light up, bringing a large book down from atop the book shelves. “But now it is time for my questions. I take it Celestia sent you?” Twilight nodded. “And was she vague on the nature of the Heartless, and the weapon you wield?” Blushing, the purple unicorn nodded again.

“Then I shall take it upon myself to explain properly, along with those creatures you fought at the train station. Are you sitting comfortably? Good. Then lets begin. The Heartless are mindless beasts, creatures of darkness that steal the hearts of living creatures. They hunt tirelessly, endlessly, forever in search of hearts, which in turn cause their numbers to grow, like Parasprites. These creatures of shadow have always been a plague on the omniverse, but they have never been this dangerous. Events a millennium ago set into motion a tidal wave of darkness, many years later, that is sweeping from world to world, consuming them.

But there are ways of stopping them; the weapon known as the Keyblade. These ancient weapons were forged during a great war, long before recorded history. Some Keyblades are aligned with the darkness, but it is those wielded by the power of light that can destroy the Heartless and free the hearts that are trapped within them. Keyblades can open and seal any lock, any heart; even those of entire worlds.”

“Wait, worlds have hearts?” Rainbow cocked her head, one of the only two paying attention. Spike was asleep in his seat, while Nid was spinning at dizzyingly fast speeds in his spinning chair.

“Yes. All worlds were once one, or so we are to believe. But that is ancient history. What matters now is that the worlds are in danger, and not just from the growing Heartless.”

Yah, those Noponies in the coats, the smart ones. I’ve seen them around a few times, but they were fighting Heartless so I paid them no mind. What's the deal with them boss?” Nid stopped his spinning suddenly, his face serious.

Starswirl stroked his beard, sighing. “While I know of their basic nature, I know not their goals. They are Noponies, the shells of strong willed creatures who have lost their hearts. They are few compared to the Heartless, but they are many times stronger,” “And now there appear to be intelligent Noponies, leading the others in an organized fashion and wielding the power of darkness. I fear their motives, especially since they have”

Spike brought a hand to his chin. “So we have to find Fluttershy, stop the Heartless from invading Equestria, and find out what these mysterious ponies are up to? Yeesh, what a load!”

Starswirl nodded mournfully. “Yes, the Heartless’ attack on Equestria; the stars told me of it.”

“Yeah, there were tons of them! But the princesses can fight them off! ...Right?” Rainbow smiled with an air of confidence hinted with worry.

“Wait, isn’t Equestria the place with the magic tree?” Nid had resumed spinning, at a slower rate than before. “The magic from that should prevent the Heartless from destroying that world, didn’t you once say?”

“So you were paying attention to my lectures,” Starswirl smirked at the younger stallion, who blushed and spun even faster.

“Shut up! Just answer the question!” Nid slowed down after his sudden burst of speed.

“Well, the Tree of Harmony, as it is known, is special. Its natural affinity for light will prevent the Heartless from consuming that world in darkness, but they can take the hearts of any creature they find upon it,” Starswirl used his magic to levitate a jet-black tome, with glowing golden lines running across it in cubed patterns, off his bookshelves. “I will contact allies on mine to assist as they can in Equestria’s defense, but in the end it will be up to you.”

Twilight blinked rapidly. “What do you mean by that?”

“Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Spike Sparkle, Leonidas Spartacus Maximus; I am tasking you with the quest of finding the source of the Heartless growth, stopping their dark conquest, and discovering the goal of these mysterious Noponies,” Starswirl commanded in a wise tone as he stored the mystic book under his desk.

“No hold on a minute, buster!” Rainbow Dash flew right up into the wizened unicorn’s face. “We have our own thing going on; we have to find Fluttershy, and nothings getting in our way of that!” she said angrily.

“Yes, but as you combat the Heartless, you will no doubt find the Heartless formed by her heart, and if you defeat it she will return to Equestria,” responded Starswirl. “And if she has formed a Nopony, you will most likely come across it if you research the coat-wearing Noponies.”

“Why do I have to go with them! I got stuff to do here; I can’t just abandon Twilight Town! How am I supposed to survive without Sea-Salt Ice Cream!?” Nid whined.

“You will have to be their pilot, and you have the most experience fighting Heartless. Twilight Town will be fine without you,” Starswirl said. “And knowing you, you’ll want revenge on the Nopony that attacked you earlier.”

“Maybe. Alright fine, I’ll go with them. The Highwind is just about ready: I just need to put the armor plating on, and we can take her out for a spin! A longer spin than I would've liked, but the longer the better I say! ...He.” Nid snorted at the end, Rainbow and Spike doing the same.

“Well, while you see to that, Twilight, Rainbow, Spike, please go into the room over there,” Starswirl motioned to a door positioned on a wall near his desk. “In there you will be given special armor, which serve use to you on your quest.”

“Lets go! I want some of this magic armor!” Rainbow dashed through the new door, the Sparkles following after. Twilight hesitated in the doorway before turning back to the ancient unicorn.

“Starswirl, please, can you tell me whats going on in Equestria right now? I want to know if everypony at my home is safe. Please,” Twilight asked.

“I shall consult the stars,” Starswirl stood from his chair, and trotted over to one of the star shaped windows. “Well you heard her... What's goin’ down?”

“DON”T YOU TWINKLE AT ME LIKE THAT!! SO HELP ME… I’LL PULL THE CURTAINS ON YOU AGAIN!!” Twilight flinched as Starswirl’s sudden outburst. As he ranted at the stars, Twilight slowly backed through the door, closing it as she did.

“What was that?” Spike asked.

“Probly da old coolt is yelling at da stars again,” a squeaky accented voice spoke up from behind Twilight, who quickly turned to see who it was. Three Breezies hovered above a long desk, covered in various shades of cloth and a large sewing maching. The three fairies wore wore small pointed hats that matched their color scheme; one was a chubby red with a lighter shade for her mane, the next was a short blue Breezie with again with a lighter shade mane, and finally a green with a mane that matched Nid’s.

“Oh he does this almost evry day. Don’t mind it to mach, he’ll stop soon,” said the blue Breezie.

“But anyhow, wat do ya need dearies?” asked the red Breezie.

“Ah, where arr ya manners! We need to intraduce ourrselvs! Ma name is Fauna, da blueberry over ere is Merryweather, and she’s Flora,” the green Breezie pointed to the other two as she said their names.

“Nice to meet you! Starswirl sent us in here for some sick magic armor! Can you guys hook us up?’ Rainbow asked.

The three fairies looked at each other. “Yah, I tink we can do somthin for ya. Ready girls!” the fairies raised miniature wands in their hooves and pointed them at the ponies and drake. A beam of red, blue and green shot from the wands, each hitting one of the ponies. Flora’s beam hit Rainbow and surrounded her in a red light. When it cleared, Rainbow was wearing a bright red hoodie, with slots for her wings and her cutie mark emblazoned on the back. It’s long sleeves covered part of her front boots.

The blue beam collided with Twilight, also engulfing her with a magic glow. As it faded, Twilight was left wearing a black shirt, with matching belt buckles forming an X across her chest with a small pin of her cutie mark holding it together.. It also had wing-slots and there were two lines running along the edges, one pink the other violet. long pink pants covered her rump, and her cutie mark was positioned where they were naturally.

As the blue beam struck Spike, he to glowed with a magic light. As his cleared, he was left with a plain dark blue shirt and a opposing dark red coat, with dark purple shorts held in place with a similarly colored belt. Black gloves with designs of emerald flames fit snugly on his hands.

“Its cool I guess. Not the epic armor I was hoping for, but it’ll do,” Rainbow commented.

“Amazing! Theres some incredible spell woven into this! How’d you do this!?” Twilight excitedly asked.

“Ah, we’re very old, and have ad alot av expirience! Dose clothes will protect ya from most of wat those dirty Heartless can throw at ya, and can change your forms ta betta fit in on a world.” Merryweather boasted.

There was a knock at the door as the newly clothed group checked themselves out in nearby mirrors. “You guys done in here? Good, cause we’re all about set to be if, if you want. The sooner we go, the more time we save on this whole quest stuff,” Nid said as he poked his head through the doorway.

“Alright, lets get this show on the road!” Rainbow rocketed ahead of her friends again, who followed after they thanked the trio of Breezies. When they went through the door, they entered not the magicians study, but instead a huge rocky cave with several multicolored blocks strewn about. In the center was a large blocky ship, with a sharp curves and powerful looking engines.

“Whats this?” Spike questioned as they gazed up at the ship.

“This, my dear draconian, is my baby girl; the Gummi ship, the Highwind! I’ve spent years fixing her up from the dying wreck she once was, and now she’s ready for takeoff!” Nid beamed as he fiddled with a control panel built into the cavern wall. A swirling blue ring appeared below the ship, which Nid leaped into. It beamed him up into the ship, with Twilight and companions following after. The inside of the ship was snow-white, with a primary hallway running from the transmat at the back of the ship. On one side was three bedrooms, and on the other side of the hallway was a room with a couch, chairs, and TV, a kitchen, and a staircase that led into the bowels of the Highwind. Finally, the cockpit had three seats surrounded by a complicated system of screens, buttons, levers, and swirly-things.

“Whoa… So rainbow!” Rainbow quickly flew through the entirety of the ship’s rooms in a minute, before plopping onto one of the beds. “Right. I’m takin a nap. You to can set our course or whatever.” She promptly passed out.

“Well, lets fly this puppy out of here and plot our course! I got a whole butt-ton of navi-gummi’s here from storage, so we’ve got a wide selection of places to choose from. The navi’s are a bit old though, so we don’t know what the world is unless we update them, but I digress,” Nid began flipping switches and pressing buttons as the Gummi ship began moving out of the cave. It soared out from underneath the tower, and briefly stopped so Twilight, Nid, and Spike could see Starswirl and the three Breezies waving from the courtyard. The ship turned, and blasted off, out of sight.

“Wait, thats it? We’re just going to leave, just like that? Without any goodbyes?” Twilight asked.

“Yah, I got nothin to say to the boss that he doesn't already know. And I already loaded the ship with supplies and stuff, so we’ll be set for a good while,” Nid responded, messing with one of the screens.

“Well, I think I’ll take a nap to. It’s been a long day…” Twilight left the control room to one of the bedrooms.

“Sleep is for the weak!” Nid called after her, before turning to Spike who was looking around the controls in wonder. “Say, curious bout how this baby fly’s?”

Spike faced the stallion. “Heck yeah! This is so cool! Whats it all do?”

“We, see this button here? Thats for the shields and this one for the fans, and this is for the turbo, and I don’t actually know what this one does… Or this one… Or this one either...”