• Published 29th Oct 2011
  • 20,678 Views, 1,122 Comments

Trip Of A Lifetime - Tailslover13



A normal, everday human male who frowns upon girly things like MLP finds himself in Equestria...

  • ...
85
 1,122
 20,678

Chapter 4: A Heart Of Pain

Soon, Josh had gone into emo mode after finally picking himself up off the ground. He had excused himself from the giggling group of ponies and had gone back to sit at his tree, the same one he had crashed down in front of about an hour or so before. Now, he was sitting by himself, moping and keeping his arms crossed as he stewed angrily over what he had gotten himself into and exactly how he was gonna get back home.

“The sooner I get out of here, the better,” Josh grumbled to himself, looking around and visibly wincing at everything he laid eyes upon, “Damn this place sucks…it’s so…so…well, I would say ‘gay’, but that’s just what moronic teenagers say when they can’t come up with a better word due to their lack of proper education. So…uh…oh, screw it, I’ll just go with ‘pathetic’, since I love that word.”

“You are beyond rude, you know that?” Spike asked, standing right next to Josh and tapping his foot on the ground, “I’ve been standing here the whole time, too…didn’t you even notice?”

“Yeah, I noticed, but I felt better pretending that you were a figment of my imagination instead of an annoying dragon,” Josh said coolly, trying to shoo Spike away by motioning with his hands. Watching the human wave his hands in front of his face, Spike felt really obligated to bite down on them, but fearing that it might cause a few problems, he resisted the heavy urge to do so.

“Why are you being so mean?” Spike demanded, trying to act civilized, “Why are you calling the girls stupid and our world pathetic? And why do you constantly try making yourself look so awesome while trying to make others look foolish?”

“First, I’m not being mean, this is how I usually act,” Josh explained, holding up a mock finger as he lectured Spike, “Second, they deserved to be called stupid, since they were laughing when I got hurt and I didn’t appreciate that; I do have a sense of pride, you know. Third, I called this world pathetic because it seriously is; it’s all so girly and creepy and makes me want to cut my eyes out. Fourth, once again, that’s just the way I act. Get used to it, dragon boy; got it memorized?”

Spike looked at a loss for words momentarily, since no one really ever lectured him, besides Twilight, and she usually never did it in such a direct way. However, after it all sank in, Spike snarled and clenched his fists. This human or whatever the heck he was really was starting to drive him crazy. The dragon wanted to attack Josh so badly, but remembering how a single poking from his clawed finger managed to hurt the human’s sensitive skin, he realized that attacking a creature like that might not be such a good idea. To this point, Spike and the ponies still really had no idea what a human was capable of.

“Well, look here, one of those ponies is named Rarity, and it just so happens that I…um…really care for her,” Spike muttered, walking up close to Josh so that he could whisper, “So, I’m not gonna let you go around insulting her while I’m here!”

“Ooh, how cute…a dragon is in love with a girly little pony!” Josh laughed, closing his eyes and fighting the urge to start rolling around on the ground, “Oh, this is RICH! A rough, annoying, foolish little dragon like you…likes a prissy, beautiful, elegant pony like Rarity? That is beyond hilarious!”

“Shush, please, keep it down!” Spike cried, worryingly looking back to see if any of the ponies were listening in, “Please, I beg you, don’t let her know how I feel!”

“Why not? You plan on hiding your love from her forever?” Josh grinned, leaning over and playfully flicking the dragon on the nose, “If you like her so much, go and tell her. Watching from afar never did anyone any good.”

“No, I can’t…she’s just…so amazing,” Spike sighed, sitting down and shaking his head, “I can’t just go and tell her how much I love her; it would be embarrassing!”

“Yes, of course it would, but love usually is humiliating,” Josh shrugged, “That’s why I, personally, have locked love out of my heart.” As these words were spoken, Spike’s mouth dropped open and he caught himself staring up at the human. Was what he heard correct? He couldn’t have heard what he thought he had just heard. Locking love out of your heart? Sure, Spike didn’t really like girly things, but he at least knew what love was and he didn’t mind Twilight and a few others knowing about how he felt about Rarity. Were humans really all like this?

“You…locked love out of your heart?” Spike whimpered, pressing two of his fingers together in a nervous and slightly sad way, “But…how could you do that?”

“Because love is a worthless emotion that means nothing, that’s why,” Josh stated, “It’s fake and it always will be fake. My father hates me and always did. He abused me my whole life. I was bullied my entire life by people in school. I had a hateful family who only cared about themselves and never showed me any love. Heck, even my mother didn’t really love me. Plus, I’ve never had a single girlfriend my entire life, and I plan to keep it that way. Love is evil, spelled backwards...well, almost.”

“That’s…that’s horrible…I’m sorry that you’ve been hurt so much,” Spike said softly, “But…still, love is amazing! The feeling of warmth in your heart when you see that special person who means the world to you…the way your mouth dries up and you get tongue-tied when you’re around them…the way you feel faint and gooey inside when they hug you or kiss you…it’s magical, it really is!”

“Sounds more like heartburn if you ask me,” Josh chuckled.

“And then there’s the love between best friends,” Spike continued, either ignoring Josh or not really understanding what he just said, “Twilight is my best friend…well, she’s more like a big sister…or even slightly a motherly figure to me. Sure, we get on each other’s nerves sometimes, but I love her to death and she loves me; we would be lost without each other. Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie…they’re all my good friends, too. Sure, girly stuff makes me cringe, but…the fact that they’re my friends is a wonderful kind of love that I wouldn’t trade for all the gems in the world.”

“Oh please, you’re so delusional,” Josh moaned, slapping his forehead, “Let me ask you something, Spikey. Would all of those people die for you? Would they give you the shirt off their backs for you? Would they take a bullet for you? Would they always stick by your side, even when you’re wrong, and even if you’ve gone insane?”

“Er…some of those are a bit extreme, don’t you think?” Spike muttered.

“Answer the question, dragon boy,” Josh demanded.

“Well…uh…I’d rather not think…like that,” Spike admitted, “But…why does it matter? It doesn’t matter what someone DOES that shows love…it’s what you feel on the inside and it’s a lot more than that. I can’t really explain it.”

“That doesn’t surprise me,” Josh snickered, leaning back against the tree again, “Look, it doesn’t matter what you or those girls say; I refuse to believe in love and magic and all this garbage. If you want that kind of junk, go and watch a sappy romance movie.”

As Spike was heading back to being angry with Josh, a bright light suddenly started to shine right in front of the tree. Josh gasped and shielded his eyes as the other six ponies hurried over, having gotten done with their picnic and looking rather anxious about what was happening. Spike joined their sides as the flash of light slowly took shape, or rather something was appearing out of it. When Josh was finally able to see again, he saw yet another pony in front of him. However, this pony was way different than the six annoying ones he had already met.

The pony had large wings and was slowly descending down from the air to land in front of the stunned human. She was hardly a pony, since she was huge. She seemed to have Rarity’s fur color, but her horn was also large. Her colorful mane and tail were fluttering in the breeze, and her big pink eyes were already fastening themselves right onto the human boy below her. On her head was a golden crown. Now slightly worried, Josh realized that he was probably dealing with someone very important here.

“Ah…this is him, Twilight?” the large pony spoke, looking over at the purple pony. Josh noticed that all six of the ponies, including Spike, were all bowing to the larger pony or whatever she was. Indeed, this was someone very important.

“Yes, Princess, that’s him,” Twilight said, nodding her head, “He’s the one I sent you the note about ten minutes ago. Thanks for the fast delivery, Spike.”

“No problem, Twilight,” Spike smiled. Josh was very confused; how in the world did they manage to send a letter without a mailbox or a carrier pigeon or anything? This world was just getting more and more confusing and more and more annoying.

Josh slowly rose to his feet, instantly feeling a bit unnerved as he faced the large white pony princess. She was just about the same size as Josh, maybe a bit smaller. This really freaked Josh out, since he himself was six feet tall, and knowing that there were those in this world that were his size made him nervous, since he had a feeling they possessed a lot of weird powers. Plus, her pointy horn looked pretty sharp, so he made sure to stay far away from it.

“I was very curious about what happened,” the princess said, looking the human over, “I did feel some weird paranormal activity…”

“Paranormal activity?” Josh interrupted, snickering and rolling his eyes, “That’s a pretty good movie, I must admit.”

“…what in the world are you talking about?” the princess asked, raising an eyebrow and looking slightly unnerved by the human’s rude actions.

“Back on my world, we have movies that people watch on television sets,” Josh smirked, “Paranormal Activity is the name of a movie back on my world. It’s about some kind of evil spirit or something that terrorizes a family before eventually breaking them apart and killing them…I think. I’ve never actually SEEN the movie.”

“…why would you humans MAKE such a horrid thing?” Rarity spoke up, clearly frightened. Josh noticed that all six ponies, Spike, and the princess pony all looked a bit terrified at what Josh explained.

“It’s for entertainment purposes,” Josh sighed, slapping his forehead, “Seriously, what’s wrong with that? It’s just a movie; it’s not REAL.”

“But…THAT’S entertainment to you humans?” Applejack blinked, “Uh…no offense, but…you humans don’t seem all that…there.”

“Oh, let me guess…what YOU ponies consider to be ‘entertainment’ is running around frolicking in some meadows, or hugging and kissing, or making cupcakes, right?” Josh mocked.

“Well, we DO make cupcakes, and I DO love frolicking in my spare time, and I DO hug Gummy all the time, not to mention my friends!” Pinkie giggled. However, she was the only one who didn’t seem to mind Josh’s obvious insult. The rest of the group was glaring at Josh angrily, including the princess, who had already taken a disliking to him, thanks to his attitude.

“…Josh, was it?” the princess said slowly, “Please let me introduce myself. I am Princess Celestia. Along with my sister, Luna, we rule over Equestria together. We raise the sun and moon each day and night, and always look after our subjects and try to do our best to make this a great world to live.”

“Whoa…this world has a DICTATOR?” Josh gasped, “No, make that TWO dictators…and they’re FEMALES? Man…I think Earth could take a few lessons from this place.” He snickered to himself, which resulted in a lot more angry hisses and protests from the group.

“How dare you speak to the princess like that?” Twilight yelled, running up to Josh’s side and glaring up angrily at him, “Stop talking like that in front of her! She deserves your respect!”

“No, she doesn’t,” Josh said, sticking out his tongue, “I’m not a resident of this world. Therefore, I don’t have to listen to a thing she says. I don’t listen to ANYONE, you hear me? Ever since I was born, me listening to people has led to nothing but pain and sorrow. I’m not gonna go into it, but…the only law and rules I follow are my own. If you don’t like it, then send me back to where I belong.”

“…which is why I’m here,” the princess said calmly, trying to keep her anger under control, “I know that you do not want to be here, which is fine, since this is naturally not you world. I could attempt to send you back home, but it will take some time. My magic is strong, but I cannot send someone back to a world that I do not know, and it takes time to use such powerful magic. Until I can do so, you must stay on this world.”

“Oh, joy…that’s the best news I’ve heard all day,” Josh said sarcastically, “Next thing you’re gonna tell me is that I have to stay with one of these annoying little colorful ponies since you don’t trust me and therefore you want one of your little slaves to look after me.”

“…that’s pretty much what I indeed was going to say next,” Celestia growled, narrowing her eyes at Josh and slowly walking towards him, “And I will tell you something right now. If you so much as hurt or harm any of them, even in the slightest way…you will regret it.”

“Look, princess, I’ll tell YOU something right now,” Josh spat back, glaring at her and not backing down, “I’m not here to make friends, or to get lectures on love, or to get a bunch of cupcakes and hugs and all that nonsense. How I got here is beyond me, but this is not my style at all and I refuse to do anything you say. Go ahead and do something to me…I dare you.”

Princess Celestia stopped in her tracks and glared right back into Josh’s eyes. The human boy and ruler of Equestria both stared each other down, neither one blinking and neither one wavering. The more Celestia stared into Josh’s eyes, the more she could slightly feel his true feelings. He had a heart, but it was locked away and shut up from the rest of him. He was so cold and distant, but it was because of how much deep pain he had suppressed all through his years. He had stopped listening to his heart and started listening to his head. Celestia realized that her faithful student would be up to this hard task.

“Twilight…I want you to take him in,” Celestia said, turning away from Josh and ignoring what he had said before, “Try to do your best to make him happy and make him see the ways of our world, okay? I know that you can do it.”

“Of course, Princess, I won’t let you down,” Twilight said, nodding her head and smiling up at her.

“Great…I can already tell that I’m gonna get lectured by this punkish little unicorn every day that I stay here,” Josh sighed, turning around and walking a few paces away from the group, “Why did I have to be sent to this god-forsaken planet?”

“That is something that I cannot answer,” Princess Celestia frowned, turning back to look at the human, “How you got here is still a mystery even to me, but I’ll try to find that out as well as work on a way to send you back home. I won’t rest until this is fixed.”

“Right…like you would really work THAT hard for someone like me,” Josh muttered, “Someone you don’t even know and someone who obviously doesn’t like you.”

“…you may not like me, but that doesn’t matter,” Celestia said, a little softer, “I will not tell you what to do while you’re here…and neither will Twilight, or any of her friends. We’ll give you your space, Josh.”

“Thank you, I guess,” Josh sighed, shaking his head and holding one hand over his eye and half of his forehead as he stared off into the distance. He felt so angry right now. He had been back at home with his TV, his computer, and everything. Now, he was in a stupid world full of stupid ponies that didn’t seem to know what the heck they were doing. Why couldn’t they just get with the program? The world didn’t run like the way they wanted it; love and friendship was dead and it always was since Adam and Eve listened to the serpent.

“Well, I won’t stay,” Celestia said, leaning down and giving Twilight a little nuzzle, “Twilight, my faithful student, good luck. As for the rest of you, please take care and do what you can to make Josh try and like our world, okay? See you all later.” She stretched her wings and flew back up into the sky, her horn glowing and her body starting to vanish as she began teleporting away. The six ponies and Spike all waved goodbye to their princess just before she vanished entirely.

“Well, Josh…how would you like a tour of Ponyville?” Twilight said, turning back to look at the human and forcing a smile.

“PONYVILLE? Oh, dear lord and Jesus…are you SERIOUS?” Josh moaned, walking back over to the tree and slamming his head onto it over and over again, “Seriously…Ponyville…the name of the town where they live is called Ponyville…oh, just kill me now before I go and jump off a cliff.”

“So…I suppose that means you DON’T want a tour?” Twilight asked, holding back Rainbow Dash and Applejack as both of them had angrily started to advance towards the human after his latest statement.

“No, no, I’ll take it…it just really makes me want to cry how pathetic things are around here,” Josh grumbled, rubbing his forehead where he had been banging it on the tree and slowly walking over towards the girls, “It’s almost like your world exists entirely for love purposes and nothing else. I don’t see any pollution, I don’t see any crime, I don’t see any litter, you all don’t cuss and you’re all friends…it all just makes me so nauseated.”

“Um…but…isn’t everything you just stated…GOOD things?” Fluttershy asked.

“For the most part, yes,” Josh admitted, “But…it’s like your world has no flaws…and you’re all perfect. That is something that I hate; I hate perfection. When something is perfect, you can’t do anything with it; there’s no hope to improve it. Your world seems so…pure…so good…and yet it’s terrifying. I really don’t know how to explain it, but…never mind, just forget I said anything.” He shook his head and didn’t say another word, leaving the six girls and the dragon to look at one another nervously.

“Right...whatever you say,” Rainbow Dash muttered, shaking her head and flapping her wings, “C’mon, Twilight, let’s get going.”

“Yes, of course; this way, Josh,” Twilight said, giving one nod towards the human before she began trotting along. Spike jumped onto her back and rode her like a human would ride a horse, and the five other ponies all trotted alongside her (Rainbow Dash flying alongside her instead). Josh watched them lead the way, and eventually, he trudged along after them. He muttered a few things under his breath as he did so, his mind very stressed right now. He didn’t know what to expect in Ponyville, but he figured it would be more girly stuff that was sure to make him sick to his stomach.

Twilight glanced back at the black-haired human now and then. She had been analyzing all his actions and everything he had said since he came to Equestria. He started off trying to be nice, but then he suddenly turned into a jerk. However, after hearing what Spike told her that he had said, and seeing how he responded to the princess, she realized that Josh wasn’t the way he was just because he was born a jerk. There was a lot more to him than that, and she was up to the challenge of finding out what.