• Published 11th Jul 2014
  • 2,404 Views, 35 Comments

An Everlasting Nightmare - lorettafox



Twilight is deemed insane after Tirek blasted Discord to bits and she sees him a week later. Now he says he is alive in her dreams, but can she believe him when he torments her when she's awake and nopony else can see him?

  • ...
9
 35
 2,404

Visiting Day

Twilight awoke with a sudden start as she bolted upright and looked around. It was sunny in her room now, but she felt like she had been drenched in something. “DISCORD!” Twilight screamed, loud enough to wake the dead. “What did you do to me?!”

“Oh good. The little princess is awake.” Discord smirked at her. “I call this latest creation chocolate milk a la Sparkle Butt. A little boring for me, but you might like it, Sparkle Butt.”

“Uggh!” was all that Twilight could mutter as she hopped out of bed. She stepped off of her bed as chocolate milk rolled off of her body and onto the floor, creating little puddles as she walked across the room to her little table. Picking up the brush in her hooves, she brushed her mane and looked in the bolted down mirror.

Was the dream she had real or was it just Discord messing with her mind again? But, that kiss. He had never done that to her before. Never once had she been in this hospital had he ever kissed her, not once. Twilight shrugged her shoulders as she placed the brush down and shivered from the cold feeling that having chocolate milk dumped on her brought. There was no use getting a towel though. The doctors had told her time and time again everything that Discord did was just her mind playing tricks on her and the feelings would soon pass.

Twilight looked in the mirror once more, making sure that her appearance was in proper order. She made a smile appear to her face as she remembered what day it was. It was visiting day again. She could finally see her friends and family once more. They could only visit twice a month, but she savored every visit she had with them. Dealing with Discord everyday, they too, along with her books and dreams, were her only solace.

“Lovely hair do you have there, Spiral Butt. Going to see old boring Princess Sunbutt?” Discord teased as Twilight tried to pay no mind to him. “Oh, pretending again that you can't hear me? I know, I know. I'm bothering you.”

“Just go away, Discord. Besides, you already know what day is today.” she stated, not once turning around to show her face to him. Looking down at herself, she made sure that her green garment was presentable before she saw anyone. She soon felt the cold feeling that she had finally disappear, she letting out a sigh of relief.

“Oh, that's right. Its the day that all your little friends are gonna see you at the crazy house!” he laughed. “Oh Rarity, isn't it just what we wanted to do today? Go visit Twi in her crazy hospital!” he spoke as he started impersonating Applejack.

“Hey, that isn't funny!” Twilight yelled, finally turning around to face him. “Don't make fun of my friends! They didn't send me here for the last time, you did!”

“I know I did but that doesn't stop me from spending all of my loving time with you, Spiral Sparkle Butt.” he snickered. “Besides, what would I do trapped in stone? Its more fun bugging you anyways. At least here I have somepony to talk too, even if she is boring.”

“I am not boring! I am just too educated for your stupid tastes!” Twilight said as she stuck out her tongue at him. “Besides, I am not a spiral sparkle butt!”

“You are now.” he laughed as he snapped his fingers, making Twilight's cutie mark start shining brightly and spinning rapidly so that it looked like a spiral. “Nice cutie mark you have there.”

“I am not even gonna start with you today.” Twilight shrugged as she walked over to her table and picked up a small fake crown, which was made out of soft materials as she wouldn't hurt herself with it and was too big for her to swallow. She placed it onto her head and looked in the mirror once more. “There. At least I look like a princess of Equestria.”

“More like the crazy princess of Equestria.” Discord giggled.

Twilight glared at him hard. “I am not crazy because of my own devices. I have been labeled with schizophrenia because of you! I know you're not actually there now, but as long as you're here, I cannot leave!”

“Oh boo who. Poor Princess Sparkle Butt. What in Equestria is she going to do?” Discord smirked at her once more.

“I don't care what you say I-”

“Princess Twilight, its Dr. Entropio. Is he bothering you again in there? I could hear you shouting as I was coming up the hallway. Can I come in?” Dr. Entropio called out from the other side.

Twilight turned around and smiled at the door. “You can enter.” With given permission, the doctor pony entered the room, along with Nurse Redheart. The two gave her a warm smile as Dr. Entropio wrote something down on his clip board. “But yes...he is bothering me again.”

“What did he do to you this morning?” Nurse Redheart asked, walking over to Twilight to adjust her crown, which had become slightly lopsided.

“Well, I was shocked awake by having a bucket of chocolate milk dumped on me. And then he proceeded to make fun of my friends.” Twilight explained as the doctor wrote down these new developments.

“I see but you must remember that...”

“...that he isn't real and thus his actions aren't either.” Twilight recited perfectly. After hearing the same thing every single day from him and the nurse, she could easily say it in their tone. “I know he isn't there, but he still hasn't left my mind. Until he's gone, I can't be given clearance to leave the mental hospital.”

“Its better that you stay here until we can get rid of him. You're in safe hooves here, Princess.” Dr. Entropio said as he gave her a warm smile. “And I have good news for you today. It's visiting day and your family is waiting for you in the visitors' area. Perhaps talking to them for a few hours will get your mind off of Discord?”

“It would definitely help a lot. Can we go now?” Twilight asked before she glared up at Discord, who was hovering above Dr. Entropio's head, in his eagle talon he carried what looked like a specter of her head. “Please, like now if its not too much trouble?”

Dr. Entropio and Nurse Redheart walked to Twilight's sides and led her out of the room and stepped into the hallway, which was the same pale white color as her room. It defiantly screamed hospital as the atmosphere did seem to be very sterile and clean. The three walked up the hallway before turning a corner. They walked up a few more hallways, to Twilight were all the same. The only way she could tell where she was going was for the occasional signs that pointed to the different areas in the place.

They reached a large brown door as Dr. Entropio pushed it open and lead Twilight into a brand new area. It was much different from where she had been. The room was very inviting. Soft chairs lined the area and there were several tables scattered about, each one having about six to eight chairs surrounding it. The thing that quite caught Twilight's attention however was the center table, in which her parents, her friends, and her sister in law were waiting for her.

“Twilight!” Cadence said happily as she stood up and went over to hug her. This usually wouldn't have been allowed, but in Twilight's case, it was perfectly alright. “I haven't seen you in a month. How are you? Has Discord been causing you trouble?”

“Yes. He decided to greet me by dumping chocolate milk on my head this morning.” Twilight said as her wings flapped in annoyance. “I just wish he'd go away.”

Cadence gave her a sad smile. “I'm sorry that you have to deal with him, but you know that the doctors here are the best in Equestria. They'll make him disappear from your mind and you can come home once again.”

“What I wouldn't give to come ho- Discord, don't you dare!” Twilight screamed suddenly, glaring up at the space above Cadence's head, in which Discord was occupying, a bucket in his hands. “I'd move over to the right if I were you.”

Cadence did as Twilight asked as Discord tipped his bucket over. The contents, which strangely looked like some type of soda dropped but missed Princess Cadence. Twilight let out a sigh of relief as Discord moaned how he had missed her. “Did he try to dump something on me, Twilight?”

“Yeah, grape soda.” Twilight shrugged. “He's such a lovely roommate sometimes.” Twilight walked over to everyone else that was sitting at the table and smiled at them all. “I am so sorry about that, everypony. I didn't expect him to pour buckets on anypony else besides me. I know he's not there, but if I don't yell at him, he won't listen to anyone else.”

“Its ok, Twilight. From what you tell us, he can be a hoof full.” Twilight Velvet smiled at her daughter and patted the seat that was next to her. “Why don't you sit down next to me and tell me about anything new that has happened with you.”

Twilight walked over and sat in the seat next to her mother. Glaring for a moment at Discord, who was simply hovering on the ceiling above the table, she returned her look to a calm one. “Well, there's the usual Discord bugging and annoying me but Dr. Entropio's given me a new medication that at least prevents me from seeing him in my dreams, so I do get a little solace there.” Twilight smiled at them. She didn't wanna tell them about the dream she had last night, she wasn't sure if it was him or what was going on.

“That's good to hear.” Rarity smiled. “What have you been doing with your lucid dreaming, darling? Reading in your dreams like you do when you're awake?”

“The egghead has gotta be reading in her sleep and when she's awake!” Rainbow joked. “At least its something to do. Its gotta be boring in here. There probably isn't much to do here.”

“As long as I have some books and they bring me new ones regularly, I'll be fine.” Twilight smiled. “But I'd go through more of them faster if Discord hadn't decided to use one of them like a personal Twilight smacker!”

“Oh my.” Applejack said, placing a hoof in front of her mouth before moving it away. “When did he do that?”

“Just yesterday actually. And almost everyday before that.” Twilight said flatly. “I swear, he annoys me way too much! But enough about my issues, what about you guys? Anything been happening in Ponyville? Canterlot? The Crystal Empire?”

“Well, Shining Armor got called out for a diplomatic mission to Saddle Arabia. That's why he couldn't visit, Twilight.” said Cadence. “They wanted the Prince of the Crystal Empire to oversee one of their biggest events of the year.”

“Oh, that sounds fascinating.” Twilight smiled before she turned to her parents. “Mom? Dad? Anything new with you guys?”

“Well, your mom and I are going to be going on our trip to Manehattan soon.” Night Light smiled at his daughter. “You know, for the big Manehattan Gala? We finally got tickets to attend this year.”

“That's right. It's this weekend, isn't it?” Twilight pondered. “Oh, and while you're down in Manehattan, do you think you could buy me a few books on Manehattan? The big city and its history has always fascinated me, but I hardly have any books on it.”

“I'll make sure to remember.” Night Light laughed. “And if I do, try to make sure that Discord doesn't smack you in the head with them.”

“Trust me, I'll make sure of it. At least he's behaving for the moment.” Twilight glared up at him, in which Discord simply faked a look of innocence. “But thanks Dad. Girls, what about you? Anything new?

“Well, I've created a new fashion line.” Rarity said proudly. “Pony Chic. It has such a nice ring to it, don't you think, Twilight dear?” Twilight shook her head at Rarity and smiled. “I thought you'd like the name. My new line is supposed to being out your inner true self and allow it to shine!”

“Your clothing line is great and all Rarity, but I've been invited to attend an event with the Wonderbolts!” Rainbow spoke excitedly. “They actually want me to perform with them in Saddle Arabia! How awesome is that?”

“We know how awesome it is, sugarcube.” smirked Applejack. “You've only been going on about it every single day for the last week and a half.”

“Oh come on! Its not like everyday you get to perform with your heroes and they're the Wonderbolts!” Rainbow quipped back, only to have Applejack simply chuckle at her.

“Relax, sugarcube. Ya know I'm only messing with you. I'm glad you're gonna perform with them. Live one of your life dreams, ya know?”

“I know. I know.” Rainbow said as she stuck out her tongue at Applejack, who repeated the gesture back to her.

Pinkie Pie simply giggled happily at the two girls. “Pumpkin and Pound Cake just turned a year old last weekend! I threw them a special birthday party and I made sure to save a special party favor just for you!” Pinkie reached into her saddlebags and pulled out a small party hat and noisemaker and handed them over to Twilight. “I know it can get kinda boring in here, so I thought these little party favors might cheer you up!”

Twilight took the objects into her hooves and smiled at Pinkie. “Thank you so much, Pinkie Pie. I'll make sure to keep this noise maker away from Discord. Who knows what time he'd wake me up at if he got his claws on this!”

For the next few hours, they all simply talked and Discord didn't cause any trouble. When Dr. Entropio informed the group that visiting hours were over, Twilight gave everypony a hug goodbye before she was escorted back to her private little bedroom.

When they arrived back in the room, Discord opened his mouth. “Oh, it seems you're gonna be getting new toys for me to play with you soon. How exciting!” he smirked. “But for now, I think I'll just borrow this.” He tried grabbing for the noise maker that Pinkie Pie has given Twilight, but she turned her body away from him, taking the noise maker with her.

“NO! This is my noise maker! Not yours and like Tarturus I'm going to let you get your claws on this!” Twilight growled. “You'll just wake me up at random intervals in the night if I let you have it. I know you will and have done it before.”

“Who me? I would never.” Discord faked innocence.

“Whatever.” Twilight shrugged as she glanced over at the clock. It currently read 2pm. As soon as she glanced at the clock, Twilight let out an exhausted yawn. She already knew Discord was gonna wake her up in the middle of the night, she might as well get some rest now. Even with an idiot draconequus floating around the room.

Placing the noisemaker under her pillow, Twilight snuggled up to the pillow and pulled the blanket up to her shoulders. Focusing her mind to block out Discord long enough, she managed to slowly drift off to sleep.

~~*~~

Twilight awoke back in the misty forest that she had been in last night. With a sigh, she stood up and and looked up at the statue base. The statue that had usually been there wasn't there now. She blinked surprising up at the base, actually shocked that the statue wasn't there.

“Was that dream last night actually real?” Twilight questioned. “Is my Discord back?”

“Of course I am my dear.” came Discord's voice as he appeared in front of her and smiled. “Have you been having to deal with the torment of your mind today?”

“You would know. You're the one tormenting me.” Twilight stated. “What do you want to do me now that we're in my dreams? You have full range to do whatever you want. You might as well get it out of you now.”

“Well, in that case then.” Discord snapped his fingers and changed the misty forest into Twilight's bedroom back in Canterlot. “I thought a more familiar scenery perhaps would cheer you up. As much as I quite enjoyed that forest back there, it was growing to be quite boring. There wasn't even anypony there to bother!”

“Besides me that is.” Twilight stated simply.

“While I love to annoy you, I'd rather bug somepony else for awhile.” A knock at the bedroom door caught Discord's attention, in which he smiled. “And speaking of somepony else. Come in! Come in!” he said, faking sincerity.

“Twilight, we need to talk.” said Princess Celestia as she walked into the room. “Its about Discord.”

“What about him?” Twilight asked, her curiosity peeked.

“I have news that he has been located not too far from Appleloosa.” Celestia stated simply. “He's been placed in a state of dormancy and is weak, but he is alive. I already have guards on their way there to retrieve him so he should be placed in care very soon.”

“W-What?” Twilight said, her mouth hung wide open. “What do you mean you found him? I thought he was here right now!”

“You are mistaken, my student. I know you've been upset about almost losing him, but I assure you, we have found him and he'll be alright.” Princess Celestia smiled at Twilight. “The pain, the troubles. Its all over now, my student. Its all over.”

Twilight wanted to believe Celestia's words, oh how much she wanted to believe the Princess' words, but she knew she was dreaming and this was simply her mind's way of comforting her. She knew when she woke up, it would all become a simple dream and the Discord that constantly plagued her would be back again to bother her. She let out a sigh as she fired up her magic and aimed it at Celestia. With a simple hit, Celestia was gone. Twilight let out an unhappy sigh.

“Oh, I was gonna do something to me laugh.” Discord pouted. “It probably could have made you laugh as well.”

“I've had this dream so many times already. I believed it in the beginning, but every time it kept playing, I knew it would only be a matter of time before I woke up again and reality set back in.” Twilight sighed. “I just can't relive this dream again. Its just too tormenting now.”

A snap of fingers could be heard and Celestia reappeared back in the room. Twilight just simply turned away from the dream, walking towards the bed in hopes she could actually just get a little rest while she was here. “Now, this shall be hilarious!” With a snap of his fingers, Discord instantly made Celestia's mane and tail disappear, making her completely bald.

“What the? My tail! My mane! They're gone!” she panicked. “What happened to them? Where did they go?!” She soon started going in circles, chasing her non existent tail.

Discord simply rolled onto his back in midair and laughed. “Oh my goodness! Her face is just hilarious! Twilight, you have got to see what I have just done! Its hilarious!”

Twilight glanced over with an exhausted stare and saw the bald Princess Celestia in a panic. She couldn't help herself when she burst out laughing. “Oh my goodness! Princess, you've gone bald! Maybe Discord is better then you thought!” Twilight giggled when a thought hit her and she stopped. “Wait, you've never made me laugh before.” Twilight said simply as she stared up at Discord. “Are you starting to change for the better perhaps?”

“Like I said my dear, I am not your mind's illusion. I am weak, but I am here with you.” Discord said simply. “I will always make you laugh when you need it and I will come back and get you out of that mental hospital, I promise. Just hang on there for me, my dear. Just hang on...”

“Just hang on...”