• Published 13th Jul 2014
  • 2,856 Views, 585 Comments

Adrift Off Fiddler's Green: The Final Conversion Bureau Story - Chatoyance



A last minute assignment takes newfoal reporter Frontpage to the very greatest secret of Equestria... and beyond.

  • ...
 585
 2,856

4. What Your Problem Is

Adrift Off
Fiddler's Green

A C o n v e r s i o n B u r e a u S t o r y
By Chatoyance

4. What Your Problem Is


Special thanks to my spouse Aedina for her assistance with historically accurate Elizabethan speech.

Frontpage's eyes opened just a crack. Through the narrow aperture, he could see a long, dark leg, the color of midnight blue, rising up into blurriness. The leg was close to his head, and in the corner of his limited view was a hint of silver, at the bottom.

It must be princess Luna. He was half-looking at one of her legs, and the tip of a silvern shoe.

When his eyes opened again, he only barely registered that he had nodded off. He could not have been out long, the leg was still there, within his half-lidded vision. It struck him, then, that he was not in pain, and that this was odd - because, by all rights, he really should have been.

He felt something strange in his leg, and in his chest. A sort of ghostly, ethereal squirming or flowing. Ah! His befuddled mind gradually had dredged up a memory. He was being worked on, healed, thaumatically. When he had returned to Earth, after spending several months reporting from Equestria, he had tried to get an interview with the leader of the PER. That had not gone well, and after a run-in with anti-pony activists halfway to meeting his subject, he had found himself in serious shape.

Fortunately, medical centers had begun installing native healers by that point, to cover the injuries of newfoals and natives staying on earth. He had been lucky; a fully trained medical unicorn was on staff, along with earthpony regenerative support. The feeling was familiar now. His ribs and leg were being restored.

Luna and... somepony... were talking, above him. She must be standing there, overlooking the situation. The other voice was very familiar. It wasn't an ordinary pony. Celestia. Both princesses were here, Celestia must be outside of his view.

Frontpage couldn't turn to look, he couldn't really move much besides his eyes. That was familiar too. For multiple or sufficiently serious injuries, it was common practice to put the patient into a form of sleep paralysis, to keep them still. It was a comfortable, safe, dreamlike place to be, and sleep called to him, strongly.

But Frontpage fought it, because his nose had smelled news. Both pony princesses, both diarchs, standing over him, or near him, right now. Both here, at this obscure institute for unloved monsters of the Everfree. The ice, the terrible frost. Something was going on, something that was worth a scoop. Or two scoops. Ice cream. Suddenly, Frontpage wanted ice cream very much.

He forced himself from the dream that had just begun to swallow him. He had started to be within a lovely park, with music all around, strange music, beautiful music, and there was ice cream. Luna was there, too, inside his dream, levitating ice cream to... thousands of bunnies. Little, white bunnies, as far as one could see, all lined up for ice cream and...

Luna and Celestia were talking. The curious itch of thaumatic reconstruction was strong inside his ribs. He could feel the bones knitting, and he half-wished he could scratch the inside of his body. Somehow. News. This was a story. Frontpage tried to listen, forcing his attention through the tiny slit of his barely-opened eyes.

"...vastness of their legions do exceed Our means to succor. Did I warn thee not, sweet sib? Already Our Realm doth swell to compass their tribe, an' hoofless are We to find the fit of them withall. This calamity hath brought Us too near the breech. What doth approach Us, upon Nature's just demise o' them - shall e'en now, this moment, seeme made to be as naught! When they expire in all their millions, how now, dear sis? What course shall We be laid to then? Shall We abort liberty unto them all and shackle them to Us, due subjects to Our Fate?"

Frontpage tried to move his ears to focus in on the voices better. It was difficult, it was tough just to remain awake.

"You must go through the ribbon. I would do it if I could, but it was always your domain. Adjustments must be made. I knew it would be necessary, that is why I have arranged the redemption of our brother. He has progressed far, and I... think he can be trusted for this. I did wish for more decades before this necessity..."

The second voice was definitely Celestia. It could be nopony else.

"It needs be met, an' without delay. This very day if canst, though afeared am I that the morrow is more the true meeting of it. Twenty-two hundred carry I, within mine owne keeping, and all are still within the hold. No sufficiency of space is there upon the deck for them - an to mark the dark unto the darkest yet - tis certain that a tempest brews upon Our very course."

Frontpage drifted off again, momentarily. This time his dream was different. The bunnies returned, but not in a park. They were all around, leaping and hopping all about Luna's dark leg, crossing his vision. He blinked. The bunnies vanished, but the view remained the same. Luna's leg and shoe. A hallucination! A dream superimposed upon his waking vision... how strange. He had missed some of what the princesses were saying...

"...to the wheelhouse and check the rudder. I can lower the sails, and steer, from the tree. I will search for a shallow to drop anchor if the sea turns against us. Go, Luna. Take your brother and chance the ribbon. It must be done."

"But once inside, sister, once inside He doth abide again, if aught should shake His equilibrium, if He do spy the bones...?"

"Equestria has been our home, though it has taken time. It is a good realm, and a healthy one. I trust our ponies, I trust our mutual creation. And I trust Discord." A short pause. "I truly do."

Frontpage, drifting within himself, wished he had his notebook. He yearned for his pencils. If only he could write this strangeness down!

"Upon the morrow, then. Take Thee the helm an' canvases. I shall tend me to the stores beyond the ribbon." There was a pause. "If thou doth anchor here, take goodly care. Already are We tax'd w'excess of a crew. No end of castaways an' shipwrecks are there here."

"Take care as well, Luna. And... avoid the bones, if you can. I trust our brother now, but..."

Frontpage had drunk in as much as he could of the exchange, but then the blackness hit him, and he heard the void calling. Spaced out on the sensation of being healed, he fell under the unicorn's sedation, but after what he had heard, the newspony in him somehow knew that nothing would ever be the same again.

Frontpage gradually awakened to the sound of a pony talking. The sound was faint, drifting in on the breeze through the window to his left. He could hear the sound of hooves on cobblestones, passing by, somewhere well below. He was in a bed. It was soft, and he was partially covered with a thin but very soft blanket. The daylight from the window was gentle, the light of a perfect morning. Frontpage let his eyes waver between half open and dreamy closed.

The voices from below came in faint whisps, carried on the breeze. "...I moved here with my daughter a few years ago, and it's just impossible to be bored. There's always... ... see or do. Plus, shopping, right?" Frontpage turned his ears to the window, idly trying to find a sweet spot to hear from. It was just his reporter's curiosity, always listening, always watching, always eager to find those W's, and maybe even the odd H.

"Sorry, just remembering something... Kind of spaced out!" The first voice was likely a mare around his own age. Somewhere in her early hundreds. "I do that sometimes." There was a sigh. "I understand completely." The second mare seemed younger, maybe in her seventies, even sixties. She seemed to run an outdoor store or stall. It was a marketplace, below. Frontpage was all but sure of that. Trying to figure out where he was by sound had become a game. Canterlot City. It had to be Canterlot because of the cobblestones, and the amount of hoof traffic. The stall-keeper had mentioned she could never be bored here. That would be another check in the box for Canterlot.

Frontpage listened closer, trying to be the essence of the investigative reporter. "Bonuses? ...I don't have anything else to give but mane-clips. That's what I make." Ah! The stall-keeper sold decorations for the manes and tails of ponies. Clips and barrettes and the like. The shopping mare seemed more eager to get a bargain, than actually interested in the product. Was she low on bits? Was she a local, or just visiting? What was the angle here, the real oats of the story?

The hairs on Frontpage's poll, just before where his mane started were standing up. He had been told it made him look surprised. What it meant for him was that something was odd. He was being watched. The feeling was palpable, and it came from his right, away from the window. Gently, he turned his head on the pillow and opened his eyes fully.

"Hello." It was Crimson Beauty. She was sitting on the floor by his bed. They were both in the Canterlot Hospital. Outside the doorway behind her, white-capped nurses trotted by, making their rounds.

Crimson looked down at her hooves, her ears flagging. "Hi."

"Been here long?" There was something about the way her body sat that made Frontpage think she had become settled in, that she had been there for quite some time.

"Yes. I have been..." Crimson's ears twitched slightly. "...watching over you. For a little while."

"Ah." The events of the previous day began to rush back. The steps up to the institute. The strange garden. The double doors. The... door.

Crimson sharply raised her head and neck, and looked Frontpage in the eyes. He could see her tremble slightly.

"Mister Frontpage. I apologize for nearly... for causing you so much... harm. I understand now that you were... making use of... available resources... to save my life. And my face. And... it has been made clear to me that I would have lost one, or both, had you not acted thus. I... I apologize." Her nod was curt and restrained, a proper and dignified head-bow of respect.

Frontpage wriggled slightly under his blanket. Nothing hurt, nothing was broken anymore. Crimson's muzzle was fully healed as well, though her mane was an unbrushed mess. Only reasonable, really. "I am sorry, too, Ms. Acres. I did the only thing I could think of to do... I also apologize for... my impoliteness... when I was stuck. On the door."

Crimson half smiled, and her ears perked up. "I was... not rational, and you needed assistance very much. Your entire leg was at stake, apparently. Possibly more. I do not believe it was a proper time to... mind your P's and Q's."

Frontpage gaped. Crimson simply sat, her gaze level, her ears tall. Her muzzle was tight. "Did you just..."

"Especially the first of those letters, I should think." Merriment danced in Crimson's eyes. "Considering."

Frontpage laughed, a hearty, relieved laugh that was joined by Crimson's giggles. "You are... remarkable, Ms. Acres. And I am remarking on that fact. You're all right? You seem alright."

"Call me Crimson. Too much formality, I think. I tend to retreat into it, as a defense. Especially when bad things..." Crimson's ears fell, drooping down like those of a hound dog. Her head lowered, sagging, as sobs forced their way up her throat.

"Ms Acres? Crimson?" Frontpage rolled from his bed and landed on the floor. Recovering himself, he put his forelegs around the weeping mare and found her pressing tightly into him.

"She's... she's gone. She's gone." The sobs turned to a rain of tears, and that to wracking, coughing grief.

Frontpage held Crimson tightly, until her storm passed, until the tears fell less and less, and sniffles replaced wails. "They couldn't... the princesses..."

"Nothing they could... would... do." Crimson pulled from Frontpage's embrace, and wiped her nose with a foreleg. "Not very dignified, am I?" She dabbed at her eyes, too, and her cheeks, as best she could.

Frontpage raised his own hoof, bent it, and used his fetlocks as an impromptu hankerchief, carefully, delicately sopping grief from her face. "They were both there. I saw them, when the medics were working on me. Both princesses. They came quickly, too, I think. We didn't lay there long, I'm pretty sure of that."

"Good thing, too. Apparently..." Crimson sniffed, then snorted. She swallowed tears. "...apparently I was... pretty hurt. We were terribly lucky, I guess."

"I wonder." Frontpage tapped at the floor with a forehoof.

"Mister Frontpage?"

"Just Frontpage. Crimson." Frontpage smiled. "Both princesses show up to rescue us, moments after we are injured. Coincidence? Or were they already in the neighborhood?"

"I don't understand... Frontpage."

Frontpage shifted, to put his weight on his flank, rescuing his tail. "Both royal sisters, at the corner of nowhere and the fearful forest, calling in unicorn medics and discussing strange things. Saving us within minutes. How does that happen?"

"Well, they are the princesses!" Crimson seemed shocked at the question. "The diarchs! For all intents they are..."

"Akin to the gods, yes." Frontpage looked out the door as a cart was wheeled past by a nurse. It seemed to contain lunch for several patients. "They have many deific attributes, true enough. Building the universe we are in, for one. Moving the sun and moon and stars. Their blood was the basis of ponification serum. But, they can't be everywhere, and they definitely don't know everything. One thing at a time, by every account. They aren't big multitaskers. So why were they focusing on the institute at the very moment we happened to be there?"

"Really?"

"Really what?" Frontpage turned back to look at Crimson.

"Their blood was potion? The princesses' actual blood?" Crimson seemed taken with a mixture of awe and uncertain revulsion.

"So I hear. Pure liquid magic flows through their immortal veins. They had to have used something. You use what you have."

Crimson laughed, despite her recent tears. "So... it would seem."

Frontpage started to grin, but caught himself. The mood was not truly light. Under the defensive banter was terrible loss. "Yes. So it would seem." His soft smile seemed to relax Crimson. She was trying to keep from being pulled under again. She was trying to keep from drowning in sadness.

"It can't be coincidence, Crimson. I don't find that easy to accept. So if it wasn't luck that we are alive, it must be that the princesses had business there already. They found us because they were on the premises." Suddenly, Frontpage gave his noggin a smack with a hoof. "Do we know what happened? What did happen there? Have you heard anything about any of it?"

Crimson stared at the wall. Her gaze was fierce, as if it could punch through the paint and burst through the construction itself. "My sister... Plantain... had started a colony. She wasn't supposed to use the institute that way. When her binding ring concept was rejected... she couldn't accept the judgement. I didn't know... she just turned the institute into a big bunny hutch. Hundreds, maybe thousands were in there. It was a bunny city, a Snow Bunny civilization! All crammed into a single building. Just packed... in there. To save them. From the Everfree."

"Something startled them." Frontpage's eyes widened. "Or even just one. Just one of them, right?"

Crimson nodded, tears forming again.

"It must have been like a frozen spark in an icy fireworks factory!!!" The moment he had said it, he knew he shouldn't have. And he was supposed to be the sensitive reporter.

In the many decades since the Inclusion of the spacetime that contained the earth, the newfoals - and their native Equestrian friends and sometimes family - increasingly demanded some means to bridge the unutterable distances within the new Exponential Lands.

Earth families, torn apart by distance and circumstance wished to be reunited. Citizens living within Equestria proper wanted access to those beyond the original boundaries of pre-Inclusion Equestria. Citizens living in the distant cities of the Exponentials needed access to the halls of Canterlot, and the ears of the court and the princesses. Something permanent had to be done.

The solution was a boon for those exceptionally talented unicorns denied a place on the prestigious - and exclusive - Royal Unicorn Corps. It was to that solution that Frontpage now galloped.

"Upon the morrow, then. Take Thee the helm an' canvases. I shall tend me to the stores beyond the ribbon." The princess of the night was going to take action during the day. That alone was unusual, but what drove Frontpage more was that whatever this mysterious action was, it concerned itself with what had happened at the Institute.

The way the princesses spoke, as they stood above him, had sent a chill through him. Something was wrong, something newsworthy, something big. Frontpage could smell it with his nose for news, and the scent was the strongest he had ever had. The loss of Crimson Acres' sister was a tragedy, and the loss of so many dangerous animals was of note, but the princesses had spoken as if the very world might be coming apart. And the rumors that Frontpage had heard and followed over the years had given him reason to consider that such an unthinkable thing might just be possible.

Scientists, on earth, had noted how so much of Equestria appeared to copy the earth. The similarities were too great to be coincidence, they claimed. The same stars - some of the time, at least - the same plants and animals... more or less. The animal and plant life of the pre-Collapse earth had been replicated with astonishing closeness in Equestria, even if it appeared as if seen through a funhouse mirror. It was as if Equestria had copied an imperfect image of an earlier earth, a picture drawn from a brief glimpse, or from a fading memory.

The Equestrians themselves were too perfect, and fit no evolutionary pattern. It was openly known that all life in Equestria had been created, brought into being by the will of the princesses. Yet every creature and plant resembled, closely, the evolved life of the earth. It was a paradox, a contradiction. If the princesses were creators of life, they had cribbed their design from the cheat sheet for earth.

But more than this, matter itself in Equestria, was wrong. Dweons, Equestrian atoms, were indivisible. They were unitary and singular, and had no physics beyond simply being, perfect and absolute. All complexity stopped with them, an absolute fundament upon which all reality was built. Tiny cubes that did not so much slip or move past each other as change to represent the appearance of movement and interaction. There was no empty space in Equestria, and according to one raving former physicist, even absence, vacuum, in Equestria, was merely another flavor of the indivisible, all-filling Dweons.

He had suggested that Equestria was a toy. And toys... could be broken.

Place Pointer The Knower Of Lands had once possessed the ambition to join the Royal Unicorn Corps. He had grown up hearing stories of Comet Tail The Intractable and Somnolence The Intrepid and especially Girandole The Opacous. Girandole was considered to be the best translocator that had ever lived. His specialty was teleportation, and no unicorn had ever been his equal.

As a colt, Place had discovered he too had a special talent. He could always determine exactly where any place he had ever visited was in relation to himself. The value of this curious ability was obvious, especially to any unicorn that could manage the difficult skill of teleportation. Long distance translocation was fraught with risk - a blue-sky jaunt could lead to tragedy, even disaster. Place had been sure that he would be instantly admitted to the Royal Corps upon his graduation day.

Place was talented. He was educated. He could teleport, and he could do so at almost unthinkable distance. He was invaluable.

But he had not been connected.

The one distance that Place Pointer The Knower Of Lands could not span was the vast gulf between social circles. Politics had been the ruin of his ambition.

Inclusion, the Newfoals, had changed his life. There was a need, a desperate need, for reliable, long-distance translocation of goods and citizens. The Royal Corps were disinterested and unmotivated to help. Place Pointer filled that need.

Pointer Relocation was now a thriving and vital business, with terminals in all major and most minor cities and towns. Place had personally selected and trained hundreds of exceptionally talented unicorns in his own, unique methods, and thus trade between the Exponential Lands and Central Equestria was commonplace - and vital.

The newfoals, with their human cleverness, had invented things no pony could dream of. And near the end, as the Barrier learned how to convert earthly matter with greater and greater accuracy, the remnants of extinct fruits and animals had been brought back from the grave, restored to life as Equestrianized versions of themselves. Breadfruit and mangoes, Stinky durian and pastel-fleshed dragonfruit, horned melon and cherimoya now graced the tables of the Canterlot court. Place Pointer grew wealthy, and known, and important, and soon cared not at all for the pathetic Royal Corps.

Frontpage scrambled around the corner of Bosal and Manege, his hooves skittering on the cobblestones. It was not yet noon, not for some time, and while it was not early morning, there was still a chance. He slid into Bosal Terminal and threw bits on the countertop. "Transport to West Ponyville! When's the next translocation?"

The bored earthpony behind the counter wore a Pointer's Relocations uniform. His name tag read 'Stack'. His cutie mark was a pile of boxes, three of them, arranged carefully on top of each other. There was probably a story behind how he had gotten stuck working a counter instead of a warehouse, but that was the sort of thing Puffpiece would write. Frontpage was all about the big scoops.

"Ah... next one for Ponyville is... uh... ten? It's North Ponyville, though. Next East is at... fourteen-fifty."

The Equestrian day averaged thirty to thirty six hours, generally. It wasn't exact, it didn't need to be, and the princesses defined what a day was in any case. Noon was generally around fifteen to fifteen-fifty, more or less. "I'll take the ten o'clock to North Ponyville and catch a sky carriage. Please."

Ponyville had grown over the last near century. It had grown very large, greater than Canterlot City and Manehattan combined. It had been the closest town to the capital. Now that Equestria had become a truly massive empire, the planned, walled, limited space of Canterlot City, high on the impossibly steep mountainside, was vastly insufficient. Ponyville had transformed into a megalopolis, to serve the needs of petitioners and visitors from the farthest known reaches of newfoal-dominated Equestria.

"You'll need to run. It's almost ten now." The bored pony counted bits and slid out a token.

"Swirl!" Frontpage snagged the token. "Thanth!"

Stack tried to say 'you're welcome' but all he saw was the rear end and tail of a reporter dashing away.







Frontpage dropped his token in the special jar and entered the small corral. He tried, as politely as possible, to cram himself into the crowd of ponies, diamond dogs, as well as crates and market wagons that filled the circular space. Under his hooves was a solid mass of thaumatic stone, covered with glyphs and sigils. Pointer's Relocations had made a science out of the art of teleportation, after enlisting the help of a cadre of newfoal former physicists and researchers. The newfoals had used the methodology that had worked on earth to the magic of Equestria and nailed down the most efficient and easily replicable means to teleport without error or much effort. Translocation was commonplace now. Newfoals had changed Equestria forever.

"Sorry!" Frontpage had bumped into an elderly mare trying to manage a stack of packages on her back. His reporter's eyes suggested she was native, had been visiting Canterlot to shop, and had found - from the look of things - quite a few bargains. To his left arrived a large stallion, dressed in what looked like a Bureau-era Green-Level jumpsuit... only cut and stitched to fit a pony. He wore an identification badge for something called 'Tacksworn Draconics'. Frontpage backed up, trying to give the big stallion room to fit within the corral.

"Hey! Watch it!" The mare he had backed into apparently did not like a face-full of reporter rump.

The voice sounded familiar.

Frontpage couldn't turn around, it was too crowded. But he could turn his long, muscular neck to look behind him, over his own tail. "You!"

"You!" Crimson Beauty was surprised. "What the muffin are you doing here?"

"I left you to recover! You were horribly injured!"

"So were you!"

"I'm fine!"

"I'm fine too!"

Frontpage tried to turn around anyway, but he couldn't. Several objections and three dirty looks assured him of that fact. He was barely aware of his mane starting to float up, along with the manes and tails of everypony else. "Why are you here?"

"Why are YOU here?" Crimson gave him the eye. Impertinent newsie.

"I... I asked you first!" Strange muffin mare. She lost her sister! She should be weeping, or going to grief counseling, not jaunting off to North Ponyville! Ponies didn't take losing family well. It tended to break them for a while. Equestrians were such sensitive folk. Fragile. Emotional. Hmm... that's right... she was a newfoal. But still!

"You know what your problem is?"

Frontpage never found out, because at that moment Canterlot vanished, replaced by a silent, inky blackness illuminated only by the glow at his hooves. There was no air, or sense of weight, and he felt the saliva within his open mouth begin to boil.