• Published 26th Jan 2015
  • 2,149 Views, 58 Comments

Chasing a Dream [Cancelled] - KillerRobotQuote



Night Chase is an ordinary kid in high school who loves to run. But when a chance encounter leads to befriending someone new, Night finds himself with a lot more to focus on than just running.

  • ...
7
 58
 2,149

Meet the Crew

The sounds keep coming—they won’t stop! Behind him, next to him, above him, who knows anymore? A gust of wind shakes the trees, rousing the terrifying growling of the forest. Anything could have come for him by now and he’d never see it coming.

He whimpers softly in his fetal position. Nobody is coming to save him. He’s lost, afraid, and scared out of his mind. He is going to die here in this frightening, hostile forest.

The howling wind dies down. The trees stop rustling. He can hear the pitter patter of footsteps nearby. He stays as still as he possibly can, hoping to wait out the monster nearby. It’s so close he can hear it breathing. He feels the monster’s horrific claw on his back, ready to tear him to shreds. It’s found him. This is the end.

“Are you alright?”


Night: So how’d the race go?

Tonal: New PR!!! 20:18!

Night: Kickass, BRO!

Tonal: Its a fast course, and the weathers perfect. Youd love it.

Night: Yeah, I’m sure I would have. So how’d THEY do?

Tonal: Ace didnt run today.

Night: What?

Tonal: Coach said he got in some trouble and couldnt run today.

Night: Sweet. And Blitz?

Tonal: Ran a 17:51.

Night: He PR’d? Dammit.

Tonal: K the girls are running now L8r BRO.

Night: Yah, later.

Night closed his phone and stared up at the ceiling. He had a strange, mixed feeling of excitement and guilt. On one hand, Ace got what was coming to him. It felt good knowing that he was being punished for ruining his shoes. On the other hand, cross country is a team sport, and he knew he shouldn’t be rooting against his own team. Of course, if it was up to Night, the team would make regionals without Ace. Maybe Blitz too, while he was at it.

Night sighed and instead decided to focus on the positives. Tonal was getting closer and closer to breaking twenty minutes. Night promised he’d treat him to dinner the day that happened. Later tonight, he’d be going out with Fluttershy to meet her friends. Well, not going out exactly, but going out. To dinner. Together. Night tittered to himself at the thought. He’d literally met the girl three days ago and only spent one outing with her. It was way too soon to even be considering… that.

Though after tonight, it’d be two outings. What was the rule anyway? Was there even a rule? Maybe not. After all, short flings happen between people who barely know each other. Not that Night could ever see himself doing that, but still, it was interesting to think about.

Maybe he just needed someone else’s perspective. Maybe Minuette could help him out. She was much better at understanding people. Perhaps she would…

Oh, crap, Minuette! Night hadn’t followed up with her after their last text conversation, and now he’d been out of contact with her for more than a full day! Night couldn’t even remember the last time that had happened.

Before he could allow himself the chance to second-guess himself, Night had already dialed Minuette’s number. She answered before the second ring.

“Hello, Night?”

“Hey Min, how’re you doing?”

“Um, not bad.”

Night smiled and relaxed a bit. “That’s a relief. Hey, listen, I wanted to apologize for Thursday.”

“What?”

“Yeah, that day was a mess, and I kind of dropped the ball. I said we could meet up, but then some stuff happened, and I wasn’t thinking clearly, and I really shouldn’t have cancelled. It’s just… you wanted to talk to me, but when I scraped my knee, I didn’t want the talk to become about me. But, you know, if I was actually thinking, I would have realized, ‘Oh yeah, we’ll talk about what happened for like ten minutes, then move on.’ So, yeah. I’m sorry about that.”

There was a moment of silence on the phone, then Night heard a small giggle.

“It’s okay. Thanks for apologizing.”

Night let out a sigh of relief. “Ugh, thanks. I much prefer being on your good side. Lower chance of sustaining bodily harm,” he joked.

“I’m not going to attack you,” Minuette laughed. “I’ll just strap you down in the dentist chair and keep the drills running nearby.”

“I’m pretty sure that violates my Eighth Amendment rights.”

The two laughed. It made Night happy to hear his friend laugh again. Minuette was so rarely in low spirits; she was like a prototype Pinkie Pie—all of the peppy attitude minus the hyperactivity. Hearing her sound back to normal put him in a good mood.

“Hey, so, I was thinking, you want to come over in, like, an hour?” Night asked.

“Really?”

“Yeah, the Gamecube’s always set up, and if you, I don’t know, change your mind and want to talk about whatever was bothering you, I’d still be happy to listen.”

“Yeah. Yeah, I’d like that. When do you need me gone?”

“Well, I have something going on at six tonight, so I’m thinking five.”

“Oh? What do you have planned?”

“Fluttershy invited me to dinner with her friends.”

There was a noticeable pause on the other end. When Minuette finally spoke, her voice sounded off. “Who’s Fluttershy?”

“You were there when I… Oh right, none of us exactly introduced ourselves. She’s the one I tackled on Wednesday.” Once again, Minuette didn’t reply, so Night took it as his cue to keep talking. “Uh, she bandaged my knee when I fell Thursday and then invited me to go to dinner and meet her friends tonight. Pretty sure that means Rainbow Dash will be there too. Oh, and I went to the animal shelter with her yesterday after school. She’s really cool. I think you’d—”

“I have to go.”

Night did a double take at his cell when she said that. “Huh? I thought you were coming over really soon.”

“Yeah, I just remembered I have something really important to do right now,” Minuette said. She sounded exasperated. “I can’t make it.”

“Oh. Oh, well, okay then.”

“Bye.”

“I’ll—” The phone beeped as Minuette hung up. Night stared at his phone for a minute. His jovial mood had completely vanished. He slumped onto the floor of his room and absentmindedly tossed his cell onto his bed.

“...see you later,” Night finished.


“Ugh! I’m such an idiot!”

Minuette screamed into her pillow, drowning her self-hatred in cotton and bed sheets. Her friends from the previous night had already left, but she hadn’t yet bothered to clean her room, so snack food wrappers and movie cases were scattered around the floor, making it hazardous to try and walk anywhere. At the moment, however, her room’s cleanliness was the last thing on her mind.

“I did it again! Why do I do this?! Every time he says something I don’t like, I hang up! Why?! No wonder he doesn’t know!”

Minuette lay on her bed face-down with her pillow balanced on the back of her head for several minutes. It was one of the few times she’d ever tried wallowing in, well, whatever she was feeling. Eventually she decided that being unable to breathe was inconvenient, so she rolled over and sat up. She reached for her cell and dialed Twinkleshine’s number.

“Hey!” Twinkleshine practically shouted. “Long time no see!”

“Twinkleshine, it’s been four hours,” Minuette said.

“Yep!”

Minuette paused to let Twinkleshine finish her thought, but eventually realized that she was just going to leave it hanging like that, so she cleared her throat and continued. “I’m going to the rec center this afternoon, so if you need me, that’s where I’ll be.”

“Oh no, what happened?” asked Twinkleshine.

“What? What makes you think anything happened?”

“Because you always go there to let off steam, so something had to have happened in the last hour that upset you for you to spontaneously go.”

Minuette sighed. “Anything else about me that’s embarrassingly transparent?”

“Your shower curtain. Why didn’t you tell me your goodies were so big?”

“Wait, WHAT?!”

“I’m kidding!” Twinkleshine laughed. On a dime, her voice got serious. “So what happened?”

“Well, Night called me… and I messed up. He called to apologize and invite me over, but then he started talking about a girl he was with yesterday, and I just… hung up.”

“Ooh, I’m sorry,” Twinkleshine said softly. “We’ll have to work on that. But… did you at least get the girl’s name?”

Minuette paused for a moment. She briefly wondered if telling her friend was really the right thing to go, given the situation. But the more she thought about it, the more she pictured Night dating some girl she’d never met. And holding her hands. And hugging her. Pulling her in close. Leaning in and…

“I think he said ‘Fluttershy.’ ”


The walk to the restaurant was a long one, or rather, it felt much longer to Night than it actually was. After that phone call, he wasn’t in the mood to play any games, so he just got his homework finished early. True to her word, Minuette hadn’t shown up that afternoon, so Night spent the rest of his time listening to some video game OSTs and keeping updated with Tonal on the cross country race results. It was a good day for everyone—everyone who ran, anyway. At 5:00, Night took a shower and dressed up in a polo shirt and khaki pants. It wasn’t much, but semi-formal attire was always safe in a pinch.

The restaurant was a twenty-minute walk from his house, so after saying goodbye to his dad and putting on a light jacket, he left at precisely 5:25. Despite the fact that the evening was quite nice, Night couldn’t enjoy his walk. He was still brooding over the phone call, even when he’d absentmindedly stumbled into the street, scurrying back to safety before any car approached him.

His pace had been a little slower than usual, so he was only eight minutes early when he reached the restaurant, which was decorated by multiple neon lights not yet lit. A picture of a bee flying out of an apple that had a bite taken out of it was juxtaposed with the name of the restaurant.

“Applebuzz restaurant,” Night read. “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. I must be cautious.” After rolling his eyes at his own stupid reference, he stepped toward the entrance, but was stopped by somebody standing near the door.

“Hello, Night,” Fluttershy said with a smile.

“Fluttershy? Oh no, how long did I keep you waiting?”

“Not long at all. Pinkie suggested I wait outside to meet you just a few minutes ago. You’re a little earlier than expected,” Fluttershy said as she twirled a strand of hair between her fingers. Night noticed that she was wearing her usual boots and skirt, but instead of the white sleeveless top, she had on a green sweater that matched her skirt.

“You look nice,” Night complimented. He was hoping it wouldn’t come off as being forward; he just didn’t know how else to break the ice.

Fortunately, Fluttershy didn’t seem put off by the remark. She didn’t blush, but she shied away slightly and smiled. “Thank you. You look nice too.”

“Thanks. I wasn’t sure how formally I should dress, but I figured since it was Applebuzz on a weekend, I probably didn’t need to go out and rent a suit.”

Fluttershy giggled at his quip, then said, “Well then, shall I introduce you to everyone?”

Night grinned and bowed to his escort. “T’would be an honor, madame,” he said in a jokingly posh tone.

Night held the door open for Fluttershy and allowed her in, following closely behind her. She motioned to the hostess that she had already been seated earlier, then led Night to the back of the restaurant. Up to this point, Night had no trouble interacting with Fluttershy and figured things would go well the whole evening. However, it was at this moment that he started to lose his composure.

“SURPRISE!!!”

Night was taken aback by a smiling pink face instantaneously being so close to him that her nose was actually touching his. Once she took a step back and his eyes could focus, he saw that it was none other than Pinkie Pie, the most popular girl in the school. Even Fluttershy seemed startled by her entrance. Pinkie stood in front of a large table that had both a booth wrapped around three sides of the table and chairs set up against the side facing the walkway, presumably for a large group. There were already several people sitting down and looking at the new arrival. However, Night’s attention was drawn most to a banner stretched across the wall above the table that read:

“Welcome to the group?!”

“Ah huh!” Pinkie cheered, “As the newest friend of Fluttershy here, we have decided to throw this party to welcome you into our circle of friends!”

Night’s eyes darted around, taking in all of the scenery and trying to follow what was happening. “Wait, hold on a second. What are you talking about?” He turned to Fluttershy. “I thought you said I was just meeting your friends. What’s all this about an initiation or something?”

Upon hearing this reaction, Pinkie’s smile faltered and her hair deflated somewhat. To make matters worse, Fluttershy was beginning to look flustered and apologetic herself. He hadn’t meant to offend anyone, but he panicked slightly when he found himself being the central focus.

Fortunately, a girl at the table with a distinct Southern accent spoke up. “Don’t worry ‘bout that, sugar. Pinkie was just really excited to get to know ya and went all-out with the decoratin’. We just wanted to get on friendly terms with ya since ya met Fluttershy.”

Night breathed a sigh of relief. “Alright, thanks. I, uh… sorry, I guess I overreacted a little. I’ve never been here before, actually. Is the food any good?”

Pinkie’s hair had returned to its poofiness, and Fluttershy gave the girl at the table a smile of relief, a silent “thank you” for intervening. Now that Pinkie was reenergized, she bounced around as she began introducing everyone.

“Okie dokie then!” Pinkie said. “You already know Fluttershy. I’m Pinkie Pie, and these are Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rivet, and Swifty.”

Night’s gaze went to each person as they were introduced. However, when he finally got a look at Rivet and Swift, his eyes went wide.

“Y-you guys—!”

“Hey there,” Swift said.

“How are you doing?” Rivet asked.

Night continued to stare at the boys from his class, completely dumbstruck. He stood there shaking his head, the little gears in his head slowly turning. It was several seconds before he finally put the pieces together. Once he did, he started to laugh. “No. Way. This is what that guy meant, we’d be seeing more of each other? Oh my god, that’s hilarious.”

“Ooh, you already know each other?” Pinkie asked.

“Eh, barely,” Night admitted. “I just sit next to them. I had no idea this was happening.”

“This is perfect! Now you can be the best of friends!”

“Uh, yeah. Yeah.” Night shifted uncomfortably at the suggestion.

“Well, come on, sugar, grab a seat,” Applejack invited with a smile. “We don’t bite.”

Night thanked her and timidly pulled out a chair set up on the side of the table facing the walkway. Pinkie had somehow materialized behind the table in the booth sitting next to Swift, which caught him by surprise. Fluttershy slowly sat down in the chair next to Night, looking at Pinkie, who was egging her on to sit there the entire time. Applejack sat on the other side of Swift across the table from Night, and to his left sat Rainbow and Rivet. The booth to his right was strangely empty.

“Speaking of Clyde, does anyone know when those two will get here?” Rivet asked.

Night looked at him with confusion. “Who’s Clyde?”

“He’s the gray guy in our class,” Swift answered.

“Oh, him?”

“Someone talking about me?”

Everyone turned to see a couple walking up to the table. The tall gray guy from Night’s English class was wearing a button-down shirt and dress pants with a leather belt. Holding onto his arm was a beautiful pearly-white girl with violet hair that was elegantly curled in a way that seemed to defy gravity almost as much as Pinkie’s. It seemed that neither of them held back when it came to dressing up for the evening—the girl was wearing a dress that matched her colors perfectly. Night felt himself getting embarrassed when he realized he was completely underdressed compared to these two.

“We were just telling the new guy about you,” Rainbow Dash remarked.

“Oh? You weren’t too mean, were you?” Clyde joked. He than turned to face Night directly and held out his hand. “I’m Clyde. It’s nice to see you again.”

“Yeah, you weren’t kidding,” Night chuckled. “Night. And this is…?”

“Rarity, sweetie,” the girl said with an almost song-like charm to her voice. “I must say, it’s such a pleasure to meet you after all we’ve been hearing.”

“Same. Nice to meet you,” Night mumbled.

The newcomers sat in the booth to his right, taking up the last of the seats available. With everyone seated, Night saw just how diverse the group really was. From left to right, he saw the school’s best athlete, a sugar-fueled ball of pep, a charming Southerner, a beauty fit for royalty… and Fluttershy. As for the boys, Night didn’t quite know how to describe them, but they seemed friendly enough.

“So, I’ve… never been here before,” Night admitted. “I don’t know what to get.”

“You’re not supposed to get an entree, actually,” Rainbow explained. “Whenever we do this, we all just order appetizers and share them. They’re enough to fill you up and save you money.”

“Really? Wow, I’d never even consider doing something like that on my own,” Night said. He picked up the menu. “Hmm… do they have wings?”

Clyde perked up when he heard Night ask. “Best wings in town. You’ve got to try the honey barbecue sauce.”

Night smirked. “Oh, a lightweight, huh? Can’t handle the heat?”

Clyde looked at him strangely. “What?”

Night could feel his stomach tighten, threatening to expel what little contents were inside. He held the menu up close enough to cover his entire face. “Sorry,” he mumbled. “Sorry.”

Several minutes passed until the waitress came and took everyone’s orders. After placing the orders, she collected the menus and left.

Rarity leaned forward. “So, Night, why don’t you tell us a little about yourself? I’m sure you can provide a more reliable assessment than Rainbow Dash.”

“Hey, I didn’t talk bad about him!” Rainbow Dash argued.

“I’m only teasing,” Rarity giggled.

“Accuracy aside, whatever Rainbow said about me was probably more interesting,” Night remarked. “Honestly, there’s not much to tell. I run track and cross country… and that’s pretty much it.”

“Oh, there must be more to you than just that.”

“Well, sorry, it’s just… I don’t know what you’re looking for.” Night started rubbing the back of his head. “I mean… I don’t know.”

“You play any video games?” Swift interjected. Night turned to him, grateful for something more concrete to discuss.

“Yeah, actually, mostly Nintendo and a little indie stuff.”

“You said you run track and cross country,” Clyde said. “So you’re an athlete. Do you ball?”

Night did a double-take at Clyde. He stared at him, completely dumbstruck. “.......What?”

“Do you ball?” Clyde repeated.

Night looked around the table, completely baffled. Everyone else was looking at him expectantly. “Do I… ball? Um, is that… a euphemism for…?”

“What? No! You never heard of balling?”

“Should I have?”

“He’s asking if you’ve ever played basketball,” Rivet explained.

“Oooooh… that’s what you call it? I’ve never heard that before in my life. Uh, no, no I don’t. I’m kind of rubbish at the game.”

An awkward silence fell over the group. Night’s face was turning almost as red as his hair. He would have hidden behind the menu again if the waitress hadn’t taken their menus away, so he glanced over to Fluttershy. She returned his expression with a sympathetic one. She looked apologetic, like she was regretting putting him through something he didn’t want.

Night stood from the table. “Bathroom,” he mumbled.


Night had been sitting on the toilet for over ten minutes. The evening was not going well at all. He ripped off a square of toilet paper and fiddled around with it between his fingers. Anything to take his mind off of tonight.

The door creaked and Night heard footsteps clatter onto the tile floor of the bathroom. The person coughed and spoke up.

“Night? Are you okay?”

“Rivet?”

“Yeah. You’ve been in here a while. Are you doing alright?”

“Of course not,” Night snapped. “Whatever gave you that idea?”

“Sorry,” Rivet apologized. “It’s just that everyone noticed how uncomfortable you seemed to be, and we’re concerned.”

“Oh, is that all? Just everyone noticed? What a relief; I was afraid I was successful in masking it.”

Rivet paused for a moment. He then let out a sigh and said, “I’ll just tell them you weren’t feeling well tonight.” He started to exit the bathroom.

“R-Rivet, wait.” Night buttoned his pants and came out of the stall. He sighed. “Look, I’m sorry for getting testy with you. I’m just freaking out right now, like I’m going to hurl. I was really hoping I’d be able to talk to at least half of the people here, but I’m striking out almost every time.”

“You’re doing fine, man. I was pretty much the same way meeting Swift and Clyde for the first time.”

“I doubt you were thrust into a huge party with a ton of people you don’t know.”

“True, but when I understood that they were nice guys just trying to extend their friendship to me, I just let myself relax and be comfortable around them. If you’re afraid that people are judging you, don’t be. Nobody here’s trying to make you feel bad. In fact, they’ll feel bad if they think you’re not having a good time.”

Night stared at the floor in contemplation. He had never considered that before. Sure, his discomfort was making everyone else uncomfortable too, that much he understood, but he’d never thought about how hard everyone else must have been working.

“So I’m too busy trying to impress everyone and not realizing that they’re trying to impress me? And I’m making things worse by being so tense?”

“I wouldn’t have phrased it like that, but… I guess so.”

Night took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Okay. I’ll give it a shot. Again. But first, could you tell me a little about everyone so I, you know, have some idea of how or what to talk to them about?”

Rivet smiled. “Sure thing.”


Fifteen minutes after Night first escaped to the bathroom, he and Rivet returned to the table. In the time that they’d been away, their waitress had arrived with everyone’s food and placed the appetizers around the table. There were three orders of wings, the other two being Clyde’s and Swift’s, and several bowls of chips and cheesy fries set up for everyone to share. Night noticed that Fluttershy had a bowl of what looked like spinach dip in front of her.

Night sat in his chair and Rivet scooted around Rainbow Dash to get in the booth.

“Everything alright there, sugar?” Applejack asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” Night answered. “I just needed a minute. Well Clyde, let’s see if these wings are as good as you say.” He took a bite of a chicken wing without any sauce. He savored the taste briefly. “Dang, these are good. Invite me out here more often.”

A small chuckle went around the table. It wasn’t much, but it was a start at a second impression.

“So Night, do you play an instrument?” Rivet asked.

Night gave him a subtle, knowing nod. “I think I took piano lessons for three weeks ten years ago. So, no, though I wish I did. I take it you do?”

“Hell yeah he does!” Rainbow interjected. “Rivet’s an awesome guitarist. He can play anything you ask!”

“Well, not anything,” Rivet admitted sheepishly.

“Oh, that reminds me!” Rainbow said. “Guys, we need your opinions on something.”

Everyone at the table looked at Rainbow quizzically. Night noticed that even Rivet didn’t seem to know where this was going. However, the girls seemed to.

“Rainbow Dash, we’re not really doing this, are we?” Applejack asked.

“That’ll be up to them,” Rainbow replied.

“What’s going on?” Swift asked, voicing the thoughts of all four of the guys at the table.

“Only the best idea ever!” Rainbow boasted.

“Rainbow wants to start a band with just us girls,” Rarity explained. “I must admit, I find the idea appealing. What better way to tackle a new style of clothes?”

“I’m sure you’d look fabulous,” Clyde said seductively, causing Rarity to swoon. Rainbow rolled her eyes. “I guess that’s a yes from Clyde,” she said. “What about the rest of you? Think it’d be a good idea?”

“Where did this even come from?” Swift asked.

“Well, Riv here let me play his guitar a little, and I did awesome, so I decided that we should form a band.”

Night blinked and raised an eyebrow. “Uh… that’s it?”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow back. “What do you mean, ‘That’s it?’ ”

“I think he means it seems like there was barely any thought put into the decision,” Rivet explained. “I mean, you played my guitar once and now you want to form a band?”

Rainbow looked heartbroken at having her idea shot down. Rivet and Night both looked at each other, realizing their mistake.

“What I mean is, um, we… haven’t heard how awesome you are yet for ourselves!” Night backpedaled. “I mean, that’d be pretty cool. But maybe if you all tentatively form a band and perform for us, we could be like, ‘Yeah, go for it!’ ”

Night looked around the table sheepishly, silently pleading that they’d like his suggestion. Evereyone’s faces were hard to read, but they all looked to be in thought.

“I totally call drums!” Pinkie announced.

“That sounds like a good idea,” Swift said.

“Whatever the boo wants,” Clyde said. Rarity was already making a mental list of the details to include in their outfits, muttering something about flashiness and congruity.

Applejack sighed. “What the heck? Ah suppose it might be fun. Ain’t doin’ something for fun enough of a reason?”

Rainbow perked right up upon hearing the support. “Yeah! That’s what I was saying, AJ! So you want to hear how great we’ll be before we do it?”

“Well, if you do that, then you’re already forming the band to decide whether or not to form the band,” Swift pointed out.

“True,” Night said, “So I guess the point is that you didn’t even need to ask for our input in the first place.”

“I guess that means if everyone’s in agreement, then sure, why not?” Rivet said. “We’ll be your first fans.”

Rainbow grinned. “Awesome! The Rainbooms are gonna take the world by storm!”

“Let’s not get carried away, darling,” Rarity said.


A few hours had passed and everyone at the table was finished for the night. After paying the bills (which Pinkie generously covered for Night since she was hosting in his honor), they all congregated outside the entrance and were saying their goodbyes. High fives and hugs were exchanged left and right. Night turned to Fluttershy.

“Hey, thanks for inviting me out here. I really had a great time,” he said with a smile.

Fluttershy squirmed uncomfortably and stared at the ground. Night frowned when he saw her expression. She seemed to deliberately be avoiding his eyes.

“Um… is everything okay?”

“Good night,” Fluttershy whispered.

“What was that?” Night asked. He never got his answer. Fluttershy turned away and started walking home on her own. Night stared at her as she walked away, disappointment growing on his face.

Rainbow Dash, who at this moment was waving to everyone else as they went their separate ways, looked over and saw this interaction take place. She strolled up to Night. “Have a good time?”

Night paused a moment before answering. “Y-yeah, I did.”

Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. “Everything okay?”

“I… I don’t know what happened. I thanked Fluttershy for inviting me out here, but she just left almost without a word. Did I do something wrong?”

Rainbow dash scratched the back of her head. “Well, you might have… neglected her a bit during dinner.”

“Neglected her? What do you mean?”

“Well, it was nice seeing you talking to everyone there, but I don’t remember seeing you talking to Fluttershy much at all.”

“That’s ridiculous!” Night cried. “I asked her about her appetizer.”

Rainbow Dash looked at him like he was the stupidest person she’d ever met. “Riveting. Anything else?”

“Of course, I—” Night stopped when nothing during the evening came to mind. He wracked his brain trying to come up with any point that he’d addressed Fluttershy directly. His eyes went wide with horror when it dawned on him that he hadn’t said a word of meaningful conversation to her the whole time. “Oh my god. I’m horrible! I completely forgot she was right there!”

Night shook his head and stared at the ground in utter disgust and disbelief at what he’d done. “No wonder. Now I feel terrible. Aw, man, how am I supposed to apologize for that?”

Rainbow Dash looked about her thoughtfully. “Well, I’d suggest you give her a sincere apology next time you see her, then ask to hang out.”

Night looked at her in confusion. “Okay, the first part I get, but ask to hang out again? Wouldn’t that be overstepping the boundaries?”

“What makes you say that?”

“Well, if I were her, I’d probably be pissed and not want to talk with me anymore. Wouldn’t asking her out be a bit… presumptuous?”

“A bit what?”

“Um, arrogant. Totally full of myself.”

“Oh, right.” Rainbow smirked. “You’ve got a lot to learn if that’s what you think.”

“Can’t deny that,” Night admitted. “But still, I don’t know if I’d be comfortable doing that. Even if I’m wrong about her, that’s just not something I think I can make myself do.”

Rainbow whistled. “Wow. We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

“We?”

“First things first, we need to fix that self-doubt issue you seem to have. And I know just what to do. This Monday, you’re going to ask Fluttershy out on a date.”

Night looked at Rainbow in alarm. “What? Why?”

Rainbow grinned evilly. “Because you can’t say no to this.”

“And why can’t—” Night’s voice got considerably softer once he put the pieces together. “No.”

“Night, if I recall…”

“Don’t do this,” Night pleaded.

“...you owe me one favor…”

“Please don’t.”

“...because I managed to clean more tables than you. I’m redeeming the IOU coupon. This Monday, I want you to apologize, then ask Fluttershy out on a date.”