• Published 10th Jul 2014
  • 2,299 Views, 194 Comments

Sleipnir's Big Adventure - BlackRoseRaven



A hero makes an unlikely alliance with a stubborn prince, and they adventure across Equestria together.

  • ...
4
 194
 2,299

Sins Of The Father

Chapter Thirty: Sins Of The Father
~BlackRoseRaven

It was late afternoon when they walked into the little frontier town: they had been traveling for... Blueblood didn't even know how long, anymore. It felt like at least a week, but he'd lost track of the days, and the travel had been hard and rough on both of them.

Blue shook himself slowly out as he grumbled under his breath. After the Enchanted Forest, the terrain had quickly gotten rougher and turned into barrens, with the occasional speckling of swampland here and there. There had only been a few scraggy trees, and they hadn't been able to scrounge up much in the way of food or wood. They had ended up being forced to take a slower route just so they could scavenge enough supplies to keep themselves going.

Even Sleipnir seemed tired, but that was likely from the trouble they'd run into while trying to cross a gorge. They had startled some animals out of hiding, and they'd knocked loose a ledge and caused a rockslide: it had made the whole valley shake, and brought some even larger rocks tumbling down on their heads.

Blueblood had ducked for cover, while Sleipnir had set himself, then literally punched his way through the boulders and rocks falling into them, amazing the unicorn with not just the unfathomable strength of the earth pony, but his speed and precision. Sure, a few rocks had still managed to bounce off the giant of a stallion, but he'd smashed his way through the entire avalanche with only a few bumps and bruises.

They had made it out without any other major difficulties, and pushed hard until they'd reached this little town. It was actually out of their way and closer to the coast than it was to Canterlot, but Blue recognized that they needed to restock and get some rest. As a matter of fact, he was looking more forwards to getting to an inn than he was to getting back home.

Home... it sounded funny to say, after more than a year out here. Blueblood looked down at the dirt street, then he smiled briefly when Sleipnir strode up beside him and asked: “What is on thy mind now, Blue? Thou hast been so... brooding lately.”

“I... I have not been.” Bluebood grumbled, giving a grumpy look over his shoulder at the earth pony, but Sleipnir only gave an amused smile, as if this just proved his point. Which, well, maybe it did a little. “I... I guess it's just the thought that...”

Blueblood quieted, then he looked silently up and around the dirty streets, at the ramshackle wooden houses and the ponies that he would have only seen as peasants in the past... and now he saw them for who they were, every single one of them possessed of nobility as much as ignorance, their lives and happiness determined not by their status, but their actions... “I... maybe it's a surprise to hear, Sleipnir, but... I don't want this to end.”

Sleipnir chuckled quietly, shaking his own head slowly before he replied softly: “Aye. And nor do I, Blue. I have come to greatly enjoy our time together. And I have learned many things on this adventure we have shared and... I feel thankful for it. For what thou hast taught me, and the companionship thou hast shared with me.”

Blueblood blushed at this, smiling a little despite himself at Sleipnir before the enormous earth pony said warmly: “But away with such silly, sad thoughts! The journey is far from ended yet, Blue, we still have much time together, fear not!”

The unicorn laughed despite himself, looking ahead even as he smiled faintly, knowing that time would be too short. But all the same, he did his best to try and smile, like Sleipnir always did, and to believe... “You're right. We... have to make the most of the present. Celebrate the present and the past, not fear the future.”

He hesitated as Sleipnir nodded firmly, and then added: “And we should... maybe stop here for a few days, too. Our armor could use adjusting and I'm sure there's other things we've forgotten to take care of... we may as well take advantage of this place while we have the chance.”

“A wise decision.” Sleipnir agreed, and Blueblood found it a bit easier to smile now, before the earth pony gestured towards a bar with a grin. “And there! I see the first thing to attend to that we have forgotten! 'Tis been too long since I have had a fine flagon of ale.”

Blueblood rolled his eyes in amusement, but turned to follow the earth pony all the same towards the bar as Sleipnir happily bounced towards the propped-open door. The unicorn opened his mouth to speak as they stepped into the bar, his eyes automatically roving through the interior as he admittedly took a guilty pleasure in the way that everypony stared at them...

Except then his eyes locked on a figure sitting at the bar, who dropped his drink on the counter and leaned forwards with shock. Blueblood stared back with disbelief, doing a double take before he almost fell over, his legs beginning to tremble beneath him, his eyes barely able to process the sight of the thin stallion with his ragged blond mane and baggy blue eyes...

“Son?” croaked Blueblood's father, and Blueblood stumbled backwards out of the bar and nearly fell over as he leapt out into the street, gasping in shock, going pale before he began to stumble away, even as his father's voice shouted: “Wild! Wait, wait!”

He began to stumble down the road, but tripped over his own clumsy hooves before he caught himself and looked back over his shoulder, freezing up as the old stallion came lunging out of the bar and staggered towards him. Blueblood wheeled around like a frightened animal, trembling and staring, as the old, thin stallion came to a halt some ten feet away.

They looked at each other for a few long moments, son forgetting that he was a large, strong unicorn now, father staring with wonderment and fear and so many other mixed emotions dancing in his eyes.

After a few moments, Sleipnir emerged from the bar, carefully and quietly walking over to Blueblood and gently grasping his shoulder, smiling at him kindly. Blueblood trembled, but then he bit his tongue before straightening slowly: he was glad, more glad than he'd ever been, that Sleipnir was here. That Sleipnir was somepony he could trust, who gave him strength, who was like best friend and big brother and maybe even a bit of a father rolled all into one...

Blue straightened slowly, breathing quietly in and out before he said in a voice that shook only slightly: “Sleipnir, this is... this is my father.”

Sleipnir smiled again, bowing his head to the old unicorn... the unicorn, Blueblood realized, who looked so much thinner and smaller than he'd remembered him being. But maybe all the nightmares, all the bad memories, everything he'd seen through a child's eyes had made him appear so much larger and more frightening than he really was...

His father nodded, then hesitantly took a step forwards. Blueblood shifted nervously, but he didn't move back... although he grimaced when the unicorn took another. At least the old stallion seemed to notice this, halting and clearing his throat before saying in a reedy voice: “Yes, I... my name is Restless Languish. But... everypony just calls me Lang.”

He had an accent... why hadn't Blueblood remembered that? Had his mother had an accent, too? Suddenly it seemed so important to know, but Blue hesitated for a moment before asking quietly: “What... what are you doing here?”

His father smiled at him faintly, then hesitantly slipped a little closer, and Blue shifted nervously on his hooves before Lang said quietly: “I... well, after... what happened, I had to move away. I'm... I'm so sorry. To this day, I don't know why I did that. Why I did such an awful, terrible thing, and I... I can't ever apologize to you enough but...”

Lang shifted, then coughed a few times before rubbing slowly at his throat and trembling a little, before he turned his pale eyes back to Blue's, saying weakly: “I never wanted to hurt you. I know what that must sound like after what I did to you, it was unforgivable. But I never wanted to hurt you, Wild Heart. I just... they said that something happened to my mind, but...”

Lang trembled a little, and Blueblood looked down, murmuring his own birth name before he closed his eyes, whispering: “Wild Heart. I never... I'd forgotten my own name.”

Sleipnir reached up and soothingly rubbed along the stallion's back before he encouraged gently: “'Tis a good name. It suits thee.” He paused, then bowed his head to Lang, adding: “I fear that I have not yet introduced myself. My name is Sleipnir, and thy son and I have been traveling across Equestria. Blue – or Wild Heart, if thou prefers – has been of exceptional help to me. He is brave and strong and true, and I am honored to have him as friend and brother.”

Lang smiled faintly, looking like he wanted to take another step closer, but he resisted as he nodded and looked respectfully up at the enormous earth pony. “Thank you, sir. I... I'm happy to know that. When he was a young colt, Wild was... always getting into trouble. He'd climb all over the old building we lived in, and his mother... Tender Heart would always take him out to the park to work off his energy, and he'd... run away, race the other colts up trees and lead them off on wild adventures...”

Blueblood smiled faintly, as the door of memories in his mind cracked open... and oh, it hurt. It hurt, but it hurt in such a good way as the memories came back, and even as tears came to his eyes he reveled in the sound of a foal's laughter as he ran through the field, his mother shouting after him to be careful, but likely knowing he'd come back with scraped knees and mud in his mane and yet... happy...

He closed his eyes, taking a slow breath before Sleipnir asked kindly: “Restless Languish, does thou have a home here? Blue, if thou art alright with it, perhaps thou would feel more at ease were we to retire to privacy, the three of us.”

Sleipnir squeezed his companion's shoulder gently to emphasize his hidden promise, and Blueblood smiled faintly: alone, he would have been terrified. But as long as Sleipnir stayed beside him... “If... well... if my... Languish, if you would be willing.”

Lang nodded hurriedly, saying quickly: “I have a place just outside of town. We can have some privacy, maybe... sit in the back yard. Does that sound alright?”

Blue nodded hesitantly, and Sleipnir patted his companion on the shoulder before replying amiably: “Aye, I think we are all in agreement. I only hope thou hast a good store of ale, 'lest I drink thee dry.”

Lang gave a small smile, and then he cleared his throat before gesturing to the bar, saying finally: “Well, just... give me a moment, and... I'll pay my tab, and we'll be on our way. Alright?”

Blueblood nodded again, forcing himself to smile awkwardly in spite of his nervousness, and the old unicorn vanished into the bar, leaving Blue and Sleipnir outside in the street. Ponies were looking at them curiously, but the unicorn simply lowered his eyes to the ground before he whispered: “Sleipnir, p-please don't leave me alone with him. No matter what happens.”

“Of course not. I am here for thee, whatever thou needs.” Sleipnir reassured quietly, reaching up and rubbing gently along the stallion's armored back. Blue could feel it even through the plating, though, and it reassured him as he closed his eyes, nodding silently. “We will get through this together, as long as thou feels ready for this.”

“I...” Blueblood halted, and then he laughed a little and glanced up, smiling faintly. “Well, you're the one who taught me that you can't run away from your problems. And I... I need answers. Especially ever since the Harbinger, I need answers, and... this might be my only time to get them.”

Sleipnir nodded slowly, and then he reached up and gently patted the helmeted head of the unicorn, saying softly: “Aye, then we shall get thy answers. We shall stay here as long or short as thou needs, Blue.”

Blueblood smiled faintly at this, and then he bowed his head low and murmured a quiet 'thank you' before looking up uncertainly as his father emerged from the bar. He was wearing a coat now... but Blue was thankful to see it wasn't the old red rain slicker, but instead some cheap dusty thing... although that made the unicorn shiver and wonder if he had resumed his old occupation as a gravedigger. “It's this way.”

Blue and Sleipnir fell in step, and the unicorn did his best to keep a buffer of distance between himself and his father. Sleipnir helped by striding a little ahead, and Blueblood appreciated it more than he could begin to say: he would never be able to thank the stallion for all that he had done for him.

They walked onwards in quiet through the little town: it at least let Blue get a sense of his surroundings, although it didn't seem like there were more than three roads at the very most in the village, and most of the buildings were made of cheap timbers that were already falling apart.

Lang's house was a short walk past the village, up on top of a squat little hill. It was an old cabin that faced towards the town, with sprawling barrens behind it that had only a smattering of dry trees, and a small, stagnant pool. There was a little grass, but most of the lot was occupied by weeds and brambles that kept it from being a proper yard.

Languish headed to the door, shoulder inside... and then he hesitated before smiling uncomfortably over his shoulder as Blue and Sleipnir simply lingered outside, the old unicorn clearing his throat before saying finally: “You can head around back, if you like, and I'll bring out some refreshments.”

Blueblood nodded quickly, and Sleipnir smiled and bowed his head in thanks before Lang vanished back into the house. Blueblood studied the ajar door nervously for a moment, half-wanting to stick his head inside... and then he shook his head and muttered: “Come on, let's... let's see what's out back, then.”

Sleipnir grunted, and the two turned and made their way around to the back of the house. There were a few old pieces of furniture out here, and what looked like the remains of a forgotten garden that had become nothing but a dried, weedy mess.

Blueblood awkwardly sat down at the slanted table, while Sleipnir inspected the garden, then glanced back at the barrens and whistled slowly, murmuring: “What a great expanse. What a strange and lonely place we have arrived in, Blue. It has the feel of the Fortress of Exile, and yet... so much more sorrowful, so much more lost.”

“Yeah.” Blueblood murmured, looking down at the tabletop, and then he shook his head quickly before carefully shrugging off his saddlebags. Sleipnir studied him curiously, but the unicorn only shook his head before he said quietly: “Just... I suppose we'll probably be here for a while, that's all.”

Sleipnir chuckled softly, and then he nodded before calmly pulling off his own satchels, placing them aside. Blueblood smiled faintly and shifted embarrassedly, but the enormous earth pony only shook his head before reassuring: “Take as long or short as thou needs. We have all the time thou needs. I am in no great hurry.”

The unicorn didn't know how to respond to this, whether he should be worried or he should be grateful... and then he glanced up as the back door creaked open and Lang emerged, carrying a tray in his telekinetic grip as he smiled uncertainly over at the two ponies.

Sleipnir smiled welcomingly back, then grinned as the old unicorn set down three large glasses and a box of some kind of cheap wine. “Well, 'tis good enough for now! Thou hast my thanks for being such a courteous host.”

“I... I wish I had more to share, that's all.” Lang murmured, and then he shook his head before carefully opening the wine, fumbling with it a little as his eyes kept continuously roving to his son.

But Blue kept his own gaze down as much as he could, fidgeting silently as Lang poured them each a cup of the cheap wine. Sleipnir drained his immediately, smacking his lips loudly, but Blue only toyed with his as Lang only sipped once at his drink, then looked awkwardly down.

There was silence for a few minutes, and then Lang looked up and said hesitantly: “I'm sorry, I should have asked what you'd prefer... if it's no good, Wild Heart, I can get something else for you. I don't have much here, though, so you'd have to wait a few extra minutes while I run into town...”

“No, I... this is fine, thank you.” Blue said quickly, looking up and nodding, and then he took a small sip and gave a faint smile as he looked down at what was really a lot more grape juice than it was booze. Still, there was something almost reassuring about that... and ironic amusement, as always, in reflecting how the old him would have demanded a classy chardonnay in a proper glass, likely after splashing the wine everywhere like a toddler having a temper tantrum.

He looked down into the purple liquid, before glancing up as Lang asked softly: “So how have you been? You're... it's been more than twenty years, and... you're all grown up.”

“I... not quite.” Blueblood smiled a little again, glancing over at Sleipnir. “I've done a lot of growing up on this journey, but... I only recently stopped acting like a colt, I think.”

“After what you went through, Wild Heart, I don't think anyone could blame you...” The stallion halted, then he laughed a little and lowered his head, saying softly: “I mean... I'm... I'm sorry, I'm not sure what I should call you. I don't know anything about you anymore, and... I mean, were you adopted by a good family? Did they take care of you?”

Blueblood hesitated... but when he looked up at his father, saw the desperation to connect in his eyes, and all that concern that seemed so deep and honest... “Yes. I was lucky, luckier than any other foal in the orphanage, really.”

Blue smiled faintly, then he reached up and pulled his helm off, letting his shaggy golden hair spill free and giving a full view of his face as he said quietly: “I was adopted by Princess Celestia. Auntie called me Blueblood... the young prince, she used to call me.” He laughed a little, as Lang rose his head in amazement. “It... went to my head a little. Sleipnir knows that.”

Sleipnir chuckled, reaching up and slapping his companion on the shoulder. “Well, aye. Thou wert quite stuffy, but thou wert also quite unhappy, Blue. But thou hast grown into a wiser and better stallion than I.”

“I... I'm glad to hear it. It really is wonderful, Wild Heart, or... Blueblood, I mean. A prince...” Lang smiled faintly, and his gaze was a mix of joy and sorrow, Blue tilting his head a little before the old unicorn laughed a little and shook his head, whispering: “I just wish that your mother was...”

Lang quieted, and Blue lowered his own head, and there was silence for a few long moments before the old unicorn cleared his throat and looked over at Sleipnir, asking: “So... are you a Royal Guard, then? My son... I mean, Blueblood seems to think very highly of you.”

Sleipnir smiled softly, and Blue felt a strange twist in his stomach before the earth pony explained: “Nay, Blue and I met by happy accident. Or perhaps 'twas fate, for that is what I prefer to believe. I am from a far different world than this one, and am seeking a way to get home. Young Blue agreed to act as my guide and to help me gather up materials. His help has been most invaluable. He is brave and strong and loyal, and is my contact with Canterlot, and we have shared many adventures together. We have traveled for more than a year now, gathering up materials from different places and helping pretty mares and battling cunning evils.”

Lang laughed a little and shook his head slowly, murmuring: “Amazing. Of course, I'd heard the rumors that Prince Blueblood had... well, some ponies said he was thrown out of the castle, other ponies said he was on a mission for Celestia, but... I never imagined he... you were doing something like this. Or that you'd end up passing through this little town here, and...”

The old unicorn smiled faintly, and Blueblood nodded a little before he said finally: “We've passed through... a lot of strange places, to be honest. I've done things I've never imagined possible, and I found out things that...”

He lowered his head silently, shifting a little before he asked quietly: “How... how have you been? I don't know... much about you, either.”

Lang smiled faintly, and then he took a sip of his wine before lowering his head and murmuring: “Well, I was... in a special prison, but they let me out early for good behavior. They helped me a lot there, actually... helped clear up my mind. Helped with... my problems.”

He shifted a little, then looked down and continued quietly: “I... I moved around to a few different towns, but... my past had a way of catching up to me, and I made ponies nervous. Not that I can blame any of them. The hardest part was when the journalists would come by, but... I understand that it's all part of the consequences for... what I did wrong.

“I uh... I eventually moved out here. They hire me for odd jobs and to help out at the cemetery. My doctor says... it's not a problem as long as I keep myself under control, and everyone is aware of my past.” Lang said in an almost meek voice, pushing his cup back and forth between his hooves as he kept his head low, and Blueblood smiled faintly as he shifted awkwardly himself. “It... well, it's the only job they really have for me, out here. It's not easy, but...”

“I can imagine.” Blueblood murmured, thinking of his own nightmares, and there was silence between the three for a little while. Blue actually had to look up to check that Sleipnir was still there: he wasn't used to the earth pony being so quiet, so respectful... but it was something he was immensely grateful for. That, and the fact he was always here, encouraging him, helping him... push through this.

Lang shifted back and forth, then looked at the two ponies across from him before he cleared his throat and gestured at his house, saying finally: “My... my place isn't much, but... you can stay here, if you like. I know that money probably isn't a problem for you, Prince Blueblood, and the inn might be more comfortable, but...”

Blue only shifted a little, and Sleipnir replied gently: “That is a very kind offer on thy part, and we do appreciate it. But for tonight, at least, Blue and I will likely retire in town.” He paused, then smiled over at Blueblood, adding kindly: “But perhaps thy father can show us around town tomorrow... and I am sure we would both appreciate if we could leave some of our things here. Our armor will need repairs, but I could not tell if there was a forge in town...”

“There used to be, but the smith left for better pastures... there's always work for a decent blacksmith.” Lang said, and Sleipnir chuckled and nodded a little before the old unicorn added hesitantly: “If... if you do want me to show you around tomorrow, though, we can ask Merlot for the key to the old smithy, though. He keeps most of the town running.”

Sleipnir looked over at Blueblood questioningly, and the unicorn hesitantly nodded. “I... I think that sounds good. We'd both appreciate that.”

Lang nodded and smiled a little, and the three sat in quiet for another few moments. Then Blueblood finally took a slow breath before he looked up and asked quietly: “Why... why did you kill my mother?”

Restless Languish looked down silently, then he looked uncomfortably at Sleipnir. But as Sleipnir only gazed at him kindly, not judging, not accusing, and as Blue looked at him almost desperately... the old stallion finally lowered his head and murmured: “You have every right to know. You do. But I... I need a moment. And I'd like to get something from inside, if you don't mind.”

Blue shifted uneasily... and then he finally nodded, and Lang smiled faintly before excusing himself and heading to the door to vanish into his cabin. Blueblood bit his lip, and then he looked up at Sleipnir and said quietly: “You didn't seem surprised.”

“I am a fool, Blue, but I am not an idiot. Besides, thou told me many times without telling me. We have no secrets between us; I merely respected thy need to not say it with words.” Sleipnir replied with a shrug, and strangely, Blueblood couldn't help but smile faintly at this, feeling... relieved.

He lowered his head after a moment, then mumbled: “Thank you, again, for being here. I couldn't do this alone.”

“Thou could. Thou art stronger than thou realizes... but I am glad to be here for thee, all the same. 'Tis an honor, and a privilege, even if my heart cries out with such pain for thee, as well.” Sleipnir replied quietly, and then he shook his head slowly and reached up to squeeze his shoulder gently. “I pray that thou shall be merciful, Blue. If not for his sake, then for thine own. Thou hast carried this stone long enough upon thy shoulders.”

“I...” Blueblood didn't know what to say, only bowing his head and closing his eyes. Even if a childish part of him wanted to reject Sleipnir's advice, the rest of him knew all too well that... “I hate that you're... you.”

“Aye. Many ponies do.” agreed the earth pony, and Blue laughed despite himself, shaking his head slowly. Then both stallions looked up as the back door creaked open, and Lang emerged with a small bundle floating beside him.

The old stallion returned to the table and carefully set this down, silently unfolding the cloth to reveal a few small, framed pictures. Blueblood's eyes widened, and he reached forwards... then hesitated, looking up, and Lang smiled faintly and gestured at him. “Go ahead.”

Blueblood carefully picked up the picture on top, trembling a little: it was a picture of his mother. He studied it with fascination: she looked so prim and pretty, smiling into the camera, so... so warm. So radiant...

He put it gently aside, then picked up another picture: it was of him as a foal, with his parents... and there was another of him and his mother, too. Everyone looked so happy in the pictures, all dressed to their finest... even if their best clothes were still cheap and worn out and... and had so much more character than the rich finery that Blueblood had gotten used to wearing once and then throwing out during his days as prince.

He silently put the last picture down... then frowned in surprise as he realized something else was in the bundle, reaching out and silently picking up a pair of tarnished golden rings on a ribbon. He studied them curiously... then looked up in surprise as Lang said quietly: “Those are... were, your mother and I's wedding rings. And that ribbon... that was her favorite. Those things... they all belong to you now, Blueblood. You deserve them.”

Blue looked down silently, then he gently lowered the rings into his hoof, feeling their weight, taking in every detail as he turned them back and forth. They were plain, apart from a small inscription inside each, and Blue smiled faintly as he read from the first: “Te valde amo...

Ac semper amabo.” finished Lang, looking down and closing his eyes, and Blue looked at his father silently as the unicorn murmured: “I meant those words. Even now, I still love her... so very, very much. And to this day, I... I can't explain...”

Restless Languish shook his head slowly, and then he sighed softly, tracing a hoof aimlessly over the tabletop as he murmured: “I don't know where to begin. I don't know what I should tell you, Wild... I mean, Prince Blueblood-”

“Please, just... just Blue. I'm not a prince.” Blueblood interrupted before he could stop himself, and Lang glanced up in surprise before the unicorn smiled faintly, shaking his head and looking down before he added quietly: “And I... I would like it if you could... tell me about everything. Start... start at the beginning, please, I... I've blocked out so much, and now, I'm sitting here, and I think...”

Blueblood clutched the rings silently in his hoof, then shivered a little and looked down, whispering: “I wish that I could remember her. But I can barely remember anything, except...”

He shivered again, and Lang smiled faintly before he looked down and said softly: “Your mother and I met when she was attending university. She... she was such a smart, talented pony. And she worked hard, Blueblood...

“But there just weren't that many jobs where we lived, and of course, we were young and stupid and... well. Not entirely prepared when your mother got pregnant.” His father smiled again, looking silently at Blueblood. “But we were both happy. And when you joined us, it was the greatest moment of our lives. It... I promised to do everything I could to take care of you, and your mother loved you so much... more than anything else in the world.”

Lang quieted, looking down before he coughed a few times, then picked up his half-full glass of wine and sipped at it slowly, clearing his throat before he continued: “I got a job at the cemetery and your mother worked part-time on campus, until she graduated. But when she graduated, that was when things got harder... no more free daycare for you, and she had to give up her job.

“So we moved to Canterlot, where I could get work at the Horsehead Cemetery...” Lang smiled faintly as Blueblood shivered, the unicorn looking down and whispering: “I... I won't insult you by saying that I understand how you feel, but... that place has come to give me nightmares, too. It felt like from the moment we moved to Canterlot, things started going wrong... you didn't have any friends to play with, and your mother had to watch you like a hawk whenever she took you out to the park because of strangers...”

“Because there was always a mare. With golden eyes...” Blueblood murmured before he could stop himself, and Lang looked up in surprise, rearing back slightly.

“You... you remember that?” he asked, and then he smiled faintly and shook his head slowly. “I... I thought she was harmless at first. She seemed so fond of you... but then Tender Heart said she tried to run off with you one day, and she was only lucky that she was able to catch her before...”

Lang halted, then he shook his head and lowered his head, saying quietly: “I'm... I'm sorry I was never a very good father, Blueblood. I failed you so many times when you were a foal... Tender Heart always seemed to know what to do, but I guess I never knew you as well as I wanted to... and I suppose I got so afraid of... of screwing up, that it just made me screw up even more when I wouldn't take a risk, when I wouldn't even talk to you.”

The old stallion lowered his head, looking away for a moment, and Blueblood hesitated before he said softly: “That... that wasn't your fault. That mare, her name was Invidia, and she was...”

Blueblood looked down, torn for a moment, and Lang looked at him curiously before the young unicorn shook his head and murmured: “Maybe I can tell you more tomorrow, once I figure out what to say. But I knew her, until recently... and she was... she had the best of intentions, I think. But I've learned where the best intentions tend to lead by now.”

Lang nodded hesitantly, and then he dropped his head before murmuring: “I know this is a lot to ask, and that you have no reason to believe me, but... you can tell me anything, Blueblood. I'm... I want to start making up for all the years I wasn't there for you, somehow, since I know... I know I can't make up for what I did in the past.”

Blue shifted a little, nodding hesitantly, and then Sleipnir reached up and squeezed the young unicorn's shoulder gently before he suggested: “Perhaps thou could continue with thy story for the moment. I would certainly like to hear more of thy wife.”

“Yeah, me too.” Blueblood murmured, and Lang smiled a little at them.

“I would like to talk about that.” Lang hesitated, and then he reached out and silently picked up one of the pictures, studying it quietly. “Tender Heart... she doted on you, each and every day. But she knew you had to have your freedom, too, and she helped you be so... so strong, and so independent, even while you were so young.”

Restless Languish smiled faintly at the picture, then he gently, carefully set it down. “But when we came to Canterlot, she couldn't get a job: she was trained as a nurse, but Canterlot attracts ponies from all over Equestria. We never would have gone if not for the job I got... but I guess just like blessings sometimes come in disguise, so do the bad things in life.”

He quieted, then sipped at his wine before pouring a little more for himself from the box. He offered it to the others, but Blueblood realized he still had a mostly full glass, awkwardly shaking his head and picking this up... but still only gazing at his father with fascination.

As Sleipnir took the box and refilled his own glass, his father said quietly: “Things weren't good, but they weren't bad either, at first. But then that strange mare started haunting you at the playground, and we couldn't find a foalsitter and your mother couldn't find a job, and... Tender Heart was crushed when your application for the preschool we tried to get you into was rejected. She decided to tutor you herself.”

Blueblood frowned at this, and then he closed his eyes for a moment as faint memories stirred through his mind, before he asked hesitantly: “Was that... I don't know why, but that makes me think of a teddy bear...”

“Sparky.” chuckled Lang, nodding a few times, and Blueblood cocked his head in confusion as Sleipnir looked up curiously. “Sparky was your 'best friend' for the longest time, and your mother used to use him in all her lessons... you paid more attention to that stuffed bear than you ever did to her when it came to listening and learning things.”

Blue smiled a little and rubbed at his head slowly before Sleipnir remarked cheerfully: “Aye, this sounds true! I may have to employ this method in the future myself, for elsewise Blue seems as inattentive as mine own self while pretty mares are abound.”

“Oh, quiet.” Blueblood shoved at Sleipnir lightly, and then he shook his head before hesitantly smiling a little more at his father, asking quietly: “What happened to him?”

“I'm not sure. I always thought that he was taken with you when you... left.” Lang said softly, shaking his head briefly, and Blueblood quieted a little as the two looked at each other before the old stallion said finally: “A lot of... after I went to prison, almost everything was sold off or donated to charity. I'm afraid that included a lot of your old things, too... I was only able to make sure a few things were sent to storage.”

Blue nodded slowly, and then he shifted a little before questioned: “What... what was it like in prison? You were sent to Black Stable, weren't you?”

“Only for part of my sentence.” Lang shook his head slowly, and then he said quietly: “It was bad in there. The inmates were cruel, and I spent a lot of time in solitary confinement... and the guards were even worse. It didn't matter what your crime was or how well you behaved. You were just another prisoner to them, scum, and while... while some of us might have deserved the beatings and the pain, they always seemed to be harder on the few ponies who were honestly trying to do better.”

Lang looked down for a moment, then cleared his throat before glancing up and continuing: “But I got lucky. Because of my... altered mental state, I was transferred to a psychiatric hospital in Manehattan. The Center for Advanced Diagnostic Research. CADRe was very good to me, all things considered... and even if they hadn't been, it was still cleaner, quieter, better there.”

Blueblood nodded slowly, and the two looked at each other quietly before Lang glanced down and murmured: “But even they couldn't... figure out why I did what I did. To this day, I still don't know... and I don't want to make excuses for my actions, Blueblood. I don't want you to think I'm making up reasons or...”

“I... please. Just tell me.” Blueblood leaned forwards, shaking his head slowly as he smiled faintly. “I just... I need... I need to hear your side of the story. I need to know... why.”

Lang sighed softly, lowering his head and nodding once before he closed his eyes and murmured: “Alright. Alright, then... I'll try to make it make sense.

“I know that... we were all unhappy in Canterlot. And we were all stressed and... it made things difficult between Tender Heart and I.” Lang shifted slowly, keeping his head low. “We couldn't find a school for you or a daycare center we could afford, meaning your mother had trouble getting out to find work. She could just mail off resumes and hope for the best.

“We were poor, and we lived in a poor neighborhood. I don't think it was a bad place, but... we were the strangers, the newcomers, and it made ponies wary of us. I guess I can't blame them... and I guess if anything, I just ended up justifying their fears.” Lang looked up, giving a faint smile. “Maybe it's a good thing we never made friends there, though, considering... what happened. It would have made everything even harder.”

There was silence for a few moments, and then Lang shook his head and went on: “Both your mother and I, maybe because of the stress... we started having nightmares. We never talked much about it, though... we... we stopped talking. And when you don't talk to your partner, then... things tend to start falling apart.”

Sleipnir nodded with a silent smile of agreement, and Blueblood lowered his head, thinking about how that was true for a lot of relationships. Not just because sometimes talking helped you, but because you owed it to the people you cared about to... be open, and honest, and to try and tell them what was going on. Because relationships were give and take... not just take, take, take, as Blueblood had learned.

“We... we grew distant, and...” Lang hesitated, looking away before he shook his and flushed a little. “And I started having thoughts that were... that weren't good or right, to put it simple. I won't bother you with the details, but I had... cravings, and... delusions, they said. Imagining things that weren't real, that weren't... really there...”

Lang looked down, shaking his head briefly before he said quietly: “I... I did my best to resist acting on any of those impulses. And when they... they started to grow too strong, I began spending more and more time out at Horsehead, trying to... trying to find a way to vent them that wouldn't...”

The old unicorn trembled, looking down, looking so awfully, horribly ashamed of himself, and Blueblood couldn't help but feel sympathy in spite of all the years of nightmares... but then again, he'd grown up a lot during this last year. And he'd also found out... that maybe everything he'd thought he'd known about this stallion was wrong.

“I... I don't... I won't describe what... kinds of things started to be...” The unicorn dropped his head, shaking it slowly. “But even though part of me knew how wrong, how awful the things I was doing were... it was also an escape. A fantasy, and it gave me control. And I started to... to need more and more. The doctors say that's the kind of problem with these kinds of... fantasies. They... they escalate. They grow, and you start to need... more.

“And there was... I let myself get so angry, and so bitter, Blueblood. I let myself... I forgot myself.” The old stallion reached up and silently rubbed at his eye with a hoof, but he did a remarkable job of steadying himself in the moment of pause he took before he rose his head and looked silently into Blueblood's eyes. “I... I know you've probably already figured this out for yourself, and you are a far better stallion that I have ever been... but there's never a point of no turning back. There's never a reason that... if you're falling into some deep, dark place, you should just give in and let yourself go all the way down. You can always try and stop, always try and catch yourself before things get any worse... if not for you, then at least for the sake of the people you care about.”

Blueblood smiled faintly: that was a lesson he had been learning over the course of this entire journey, really. He nodded slowly a few times, looking silently back at his father before he murmured: “And when we do hit bottom, there's... never any reason not to try and climb back out of whatever hole we've dug for ourselves, is there?”

“Yes, that's right. That's exactly right.” Lang murmured, nodding in agreement before he lowered his head. “But I didn't realize that back then. I felt almost like I was being drawn along by something else, but... that was an excuse. I failed you and Tender Heart, Wild... I mean, Blueblood. I failed you both, and...”

Lang shook his head and looked away quietly, and then he bit his lip as he shivered and said uncomfortably: “I... I don't know how much you remember, and I don't... want to go into too much detail, I don't want to... bring back...”

“I... I remember what happened. It's one of the few things I do remember clearly.” Blueblood replied quietly, shifting uncomfortably before he forced himself to look up and across at his father. “I just... I just don't know why you did what you did. I don't know why you... and I need to know. I just need to know and try to understand.”

Lang nodded and lowered his head, then murmured: “And I know that you have every right to, too. I just... I just don't know what to tell you, Blueblood. I wanted... I brought your mother to the cemetery because...”

Lang looked down and trembled, whispering: “I never meant to hurt her. I never, ever meant to hurt her. But we... started to argue when she saw what I was... doing. And then... and before I knew it, she was on the ground and I felt so... so cold, and numb, and nothing mattered anymore. I didn't care about getting caught, any more than I cared about...”

The old unicorn looked away, shivering a little. “I can't put it into words, Blueblood. I can't tell you why that... I decided to do what I did. I thought... I thought, in some bizarre way, I was going to fix everything by... making us a family. But after I... after I brought you to Horsehead and... filled in the grave... it all came crashing down on me. And... and I ran.”

The old unicorn choked with shame, trembling and hugging himself as he dropped his head low. “I just... ran. I was a coward, and instead of trying to save you, I ran away. I'm... I'm so sorry, Wild Heart, I'm s-so sorry...”

Restless Languish trembled and lowered his head, repressing a sob, and Blueblood silently trembled, closing his eyes and breathing harder. In all his years, all the imaginings he'd had of finding his father... this had never been how it was supposed to go. He'd never had any solid idea in mind, but at the same time... this? He'd never imagined that it would be like this, or that his heart would hurt so much, or that there would be so many conflicting thoughts in his mind...

Blueblood trembled, then looked weakly over at Sleipnir for some kind of help, some kind of guidance, and the enormous earth pony smiled faintly at him before he gave a slow nod. Sleipnir's eyes reassured him and reminded him of everything that he had learned over this journey, and Blueblood lowered his head before trembling and looking across at Lang.

He couldn't form the words. He didn't know what he could even say as the old stallion did his best to swallow his sobs and sat with his face buried in his hooves... but maybe he didn't have to say anything at all.

The unicorn picked himself up from the table and stepped around it, then hesitantly reached up and grasped his father's shoulder. And the old unicorn looked up in surprise, then reached suddenly up and compulsively hugged him.

Blueblood winced... and then trembled as he reached up and silently wrapped one foreleg around his father, feeling how... how frail he was. This poor, old, emaciated unicorn couldn't hurt a fly anymore... oh, Heaven, the old stallion felt like he was made of paper, and Blueblood held him almost gingerly, afraid that he might hurt this broken, aching old pony.

He felt a single tear escape his eye and slide down his cheek, his emotions a whirl, contorting and twisting on themselves and leaving him not knowing what to do. What to think. What to feel... oh, it hurt so much. This all hurt so much, and even as some small part of him shouted tinnily that this was all wrong, the rest of him only felt empathy and loss and such pain...

He was surprised when his father was the first to pull back, and only after a few moments. Blueblood let him slip back down into his seat as Lang looked shamefully away, saying quietly: “I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to... I just... I don't deserve sympathy from you of all ponies, Wild Heart. Oh, I'm sorry, I mean... I mean Prince Blueblood...”

“Just Blue is fine, and... it's... it's okay... Dad.” Blueblood stumbled a little over the word, feeling so strange in his mouth... but Lang looked up at him with a faint smile, a flash of happiness that made his sorrowful features look... noble, Blue thought, and made him want to taste the word again. To see if he really meant it, to see the shine in this old stallion's eyes... “Dad... I... I don't know what to think or feel. I don't... I don't believe this was all your fault. I know how that must sound, but... while I was traveling with Sleipnir, I found out some things that I never would have believed unless... I'd experienced them myself, and...”

“It's... it's okay. It doesn't matter anymore, Blue...” Lang looked up with a faint laugh, shaking his head and whispering: “You're okay. You're... you're strong, and you've grown into a fine, a noble stallion, a better stallion than I ever was. I can never forgive myself for what I did to you and Tender Heart, but I can be happy, knowing I didn't ruin you, that... you grew up so... so compassionate. So strong. And to have you here now is more than I deserve.”

Blueblood smiled faintly, looking down before he shook his head and whispered: “I don't know. Sons deserve fathers, too, don't they?”

Lang laughed a little at this, then he looked down before coughing a few times. He cleared his throat and shivered a bit, and Blue frowned uneasily before Sleipnir said softly: “If thou would honor thy son, Restless Languish, then thou must be honest.”

Blue frowned at this, looking over at Sleipnir before he returned his eyes to Lang. And Lang looked back at Sleipnir before he sighed raggedly and lowered his head before he murmured: “You're... a crueler stallion than I expected.”

“I do not speak out of cruelty, friend: I speak because Blue already has his concerns about thee.” Sleipnir smiled a little, and then added gently: “And 'twould be best not to found thy relationship upon lies or half-truths, either.”

Lang nodded hesitantly in agreement, and then he lowered his head before admitting: “I... I'm not well, Blueblood. The doctors said I have a year, maybe eighteen months, and then...”

He broke off, then shook his head and smiled faintly, looking up at Blueblood and saying honestly: “But this... that doesn't matter. I feel like I've been blessed. I feel more at peace than I ever have, in my entire life.”

Blueblood nodded silently, swallowing a bit and looking silently down at this stallion for a few moments before he reached up and almost nervously squeezed his shoulder, whispering: “Okay. I...”

Blue halted, looking away for a moment and not wanting to run away, and yet at the same time feeling such... he didn't know. He just didn't know what to feel, couldn't process this flurry of emotions running through his body, before he looked back at Lang and said quietly: “I'm... I'm going to come back tomorrow, okay? And tomorrow we'll... we'll talk more.”

“I'd like that. I'm... I'll be up early, Blueblood. And... thank you.” Lang said honestly, looking up with a faint smile, and Blueblood smiled back hesitantly before he nodded and stepped slowly back.

He lingered for a moment, the two studying each other as Sleipnir rose from his seat, and then Blueblood simply nodded before turning and stumbling away, moving maybe a little too fast to be casual. He hurried down the road, not paying attention to anything else as he staggered back towards town, feeling happiness and sadness in a nauseating spiral inside his stomach...

He had found his father. More than that, they had come to some kind of... peace. And yet at the same time, he hurt, and it brought back painful memories, and... and what a sick joke it was to think that he might not even have a future to work things out!

Blueblood finally stumbled to a halt at the edge of town, breathing hard in and out... and then he flinched and looked up in surprise as a hoof touched his back. But it was only Sleipnir, the stallion smiling faintly before he said quietly: “Thou did a good thing.”

“I... I don't know what I did. I don't know what to feel. I don't... know...” Blueblood whispered, looking down and closing his eyes tightly.

Sleipnir only nodded calmly, looking softly down at the stallion before he said gently: “Thou rushed off before we could drop off our things. But I suppose 'tis fine: I have reassured Restless Languish that we shan't run off in the morning, and promised to meet him early. Thou art always an early riser, after all, and I know thou shall want to spend time with him.”

Blueblood nodded a few times, looking down and licking his lips, hesitating only a moment before he blurted: “I... I do want to spend some time here with him. I... I know you must be anxious to get home, but-”

“Nay, Blue. I know both the value of family and the value of a promise. I have promised to stay by thy side, to help thee, and to get thee home in one piece.” Sleipnir replied gently, shaking his head and smiling reassuringly to the stallion. “We shall take as long as thou needs. I shall not rush thee: and when thou art ready, then we shall return to Canterlot. There... there is no great rush, no haste necessary. I trust and love and believe in my family, and...”

Sleipnir halted as a shadow passed over his eyes, but then he smiled again, shaking his head and saying softly: “Fear not for me, but mend thy pains with thy father. I am here for thee, and I will help thee, as best I can.”

Blueblood smiled with gratitude up at the enormous earth pony, swallowing thickly before he nodded firmly and whispered: “Thank you, Sleipnir.”

Sleipnir only smiled once more in return and shrugged easily, then patted the stallion gently on the back before starting forwards. And Blue gazed ardently after his friend and brother and companion before he followed him into town, sparing one longing glance over his shoulder at the house of his father in the distance... and silently promising that he was going to make the most of the little time he and his father had together.