• Published 10th Jul 2014
  • 2,310 Views, 194 Comments

Sleipnir's Big Adventure - BlackRoseRaven



A hero makes an unlikely alliance with a stubborn prince, and they adventure across Equestria together.

  • ...
4
 194
 2,310

The Dead Never Rest

Chapter Twenty One: The Dead Never Rest
~BlackRoseRaven

Sleipnir gently supported Blue as he helped him drink the potion, the unicorn wheezing weakly but swallowing back the foul-tasting, hot liquid as best he could. It irradiated his entire body with an uncomfortable, sickly heat... but after two days of feeling like all the strength and warmth had been sucked out of his body, the fever was almost welcome.

It was a good sign. In another day or two, Sleipnir thought that the unicorn would be back on his hooves... but they wouldn't know until then whether or not Blueblood had suffered any permanent injuries from the wraith and the journey afterwards through the cold. But Blue trusted Sleipnir, and he knew that the earth pony would have done everything possible to get him treated and healed as quickly as he could. He trusted that his body would heal.

Blue sighed quietly as he was gently settled back down to the bedroll, closing his eyes and breathing slowly in and out. Invidia smiled at him faintly, reaching up to squeeze his shoulder gently as Sleipnir looked benevolently down at the unicorn, then he chuckled and reached up to ruffle his mane, murmuring: “Aye, thou art a strong young stallion now, Blue. Thou shall weather this storm and grow the stronger for it.”

“I wish I could say the same for the rest of us.” Auros grumbled, a large patch on the Lich's head to hide the hole where his horn had once been. He was crankily flipping through a book, and insisted on following Sleipnir around everywhere, even though Invidia was the one keeping his phylactery 'safe' for now in her own little subdimensional storage space. “I wish you would just... kill me and be done with it.”

“I am not going to kill thee, Auros. Besides, do not lie, I saw thou actually enjoying thyself yesterday when thou played that game of chess with Hopskip.” Sleipnir said mildly, and Auros only hid his face behind his book before the earth pony easily climbed to his hooves, rubbing absently at his bare chest before he smiled down at Blue and Invidia. “Will the two of thee be alright? I promised to help Butch and several others forage for herbs today, and to teach them how to refine them into better medicine.”

Invidia nodded, and Blueblood opened one eye before he managed to murmur: “Of course. Just... don't go bringing home any more... pets.”

“Shush, Blue. 'Tis time for thou to heal, not to chastise me or make poor jokes.” Sleipnir said gently, and then he chuckled before stepping forwards and patting Blueblood lightly on the side. “Sleep now. Invidia shall be here for thee.”

“Thank you... both.” mumbled Blueblood, and he shifted a little before slumping down against his pillows, shivering and hugging the blanket tighter around him. Sleipnir gave Invidia a nod, then turned and headed for the door, automatically pausing to hold it for a moment as Auros slunk along behind him.

The Lich huffed a bit, but then grumbled something that almost sounded like a 'thank you' before he followed sulkily along, dropping his head as he strode out to wait moodily for the earth pony.

Sleipnir mostly ignored Auros, however, raising his head high and taking a deep breath before he looked up into the gray skies with a smile. Overcast, but he didn't think it was going to storm again: yesterday it had been quite a heavy blizzard, but so far today it had just been dreary and windy. Thankfully, they were protected from the worst of the winds here in the middle of the forest... and better yet, the winds would stop the little problem the misfits were having from rearing its ugly head.

Unfortunately, a dragon had taken to making sport of the fortress, attacking the misfits more for his amusement than anything else. So far, he hadn't actually killed anyone, but he had done some rather severe damage to the walls and the building itself, making the already-creaky keep even more unsafe than it had been when the misfits had first founded it.

Sleipnir had promised to deal with this dragon if it showed up again, but since it only seemed to attack when it was bored and there were no storms in the area, the earth pony thought he would probably have to make a trip himself to the aerie instead of waiting for it to come to them. He wanted to wait until Blueblood was doing better, though... and if the unicorn was up for it, then he wanted the prince to come with him, hopefully to learn a few things about dealing with dragons and diplomacy.

Sleipnir smiled slightly as he headed through the courtyard, ignoring the yelling Pegasus circling wildly above the camp. But as he had seen for himself, Sir Rack Nigel Roon was an excellent scout and had better eyes than an eagle... the problem was that he was also a paranoid lunatic who no one else wanted to put up with for very long. He refused to even live in the fortress, and instead had some hidden little camp somewhere outside the walls... although every now and then Rack would sleep in the rafters of one of the storage sheds, then usually wake up everyone in the morning with his screaming about the coming apocalypse or whatever else was bothering him that day.

Butch and two others were waiting for Sleipnir at the drawbridge, all of them wearing saddlebags: Steele, who blushed at the sight of him, and Papa Mint, whom Sleipnir had learned almost a little too late was not actually a gorgeous, pearl-white mare with a wonderful mane of luxurious reds and pinks, but an incredibly pretty stallion who just happened to be especially talented at disguising stallions as mares.

Sleipnir had been relieved that they hadn't quite made it to the bed, and Papa Mint had almost been disappointed before Sleipnir had instead dragged him out to a balcony, saying cheerfully that stallions were far messier than most mares. And Papa Mint had bee n very delighted to learn of Sleipnir's golden rule: that if it was pretty, it was pairable.

The stallion winked cheerfully over at Mint, who giggled and covered his face shyly as Steele huffed. But Sleipnir only grinned widely, saying warmly: “Now, there is no need for that, most gorgeous and sinuous of mares! For whilst he may be almost as pretty as thou art, thou certainly proved thou art by far the most limber and flexible of any pony I have ever met...”

“Well, I threw up a little in my mouth.” Butch said amiably, and Sleipnir huffed as Mint and Steele both looked at him with amusement, while Auros mumbled what sounded like an agreement. “Now, if y'all are done, could we please get going while we have the chance? Turf says there's going to be rain, of all the damnedest things.”

“Nay, it shan't be rain...” Sleipnir paused meditatively, tilting his head up thoughtfully and listening to the wind, feeling the hints in the air around him. “A light snow, in... two hours hence, nothing serious. It should be rather pretty. And all of thee know how much I like pretty things.”

Sleipnir winked over at the mare and effeminate stallion, and they both giggled as Butch sighed tiredly before turning around with a shake of his head. “You're a strange one, Sleipnir. The stallion that every stallion wants to be friends with and envies.”

“Well, there is no need to. I am merely me. 'Tis the friendship of others that blesses me so.” Sleipnir said kindly, striding forwards as Mint and Steele fell in on either side of him, and Auros silently lurked behind them, scowling at the ponies. “Now, I have a curiosity, Butch. If I were to bring back an animal to thee, would thou be able to help me skin and prepare the body?”

The other ponies all stopped and stared at Sleipnir, but Sleipnir only looked curiously back and forth before he shrugged and said mildly: “Well, there are many curatives and other useful things thou can take from a body. And some cuts of meat will do well towards pleasing the dragon when I speak to it. Perhaps will even help make it an ally.”

Butch looked uneasy still, but as he shifted nervously, he mumbled: “Well... yeah, I guess that's good thinkin' and all. I just uh... well, it don't ever feel right to cut up a body, you know?”

“Aye, I do. But 'twill be for a good cause, and of a gift willingly-given from nature.” Sleipnir said kindly, bowing his head before he strode easily past Butch, adding cheerfully: “Come, we shall head due south. Nature tells me there is something she desires me to see in that direction.”

The misfits traded looks as Auros simply grumbled, and then they all sighed and shrugged before following after the stallion, Mint saying finally: “Sugar, you know we love you and all, but has anypony ever told you that you can be strange?”

“Oh, aye. Many a pony has.” Sleipnir agreed, nodding cheerfully before he added thoughtfully: “Still, it has never proven a problem for me. If anything, it seems to help lure such pretty ponies as thyself towards me all the faster.”

Papa Mint blushed , and Steele rolled her eyes before the mare said wryly: “You really are lucky you're so charming. Otherwise I think you'd probably be one of the worst ponies on the planet.”

“Thou cuts me so!” Sleipnir huffed and touched his own breast, raising his head with a disdainful sniff. “Well, so be it! This strange and worst pony shan't torture thee anymore with his company, then, great silly...”

Sleipnir broke off, then his eyes narrowed even as Steele began to babble something and Mint giggled... and then all three four following the enormous stallion halted as Sleipnir thrust a hoof out to the side, saying sharply: “Quiet.”

They stared at his back as Sleipnir looked back and forth quickly through the trees. Butch frowned uneasily, then slowly strode up beside the earth pony, hesitating before he started to lean forwards... but Sleipnir only reached up and quickly covered his mouth, shaking his head shortly before he murmured: “Stay still.”

Sleipnir slowly reached back, pulling open the bag hanging from Butch's side before he reached inside... and was relieved to feel the handle of the old, clunky scissors that Butch had brought for harvesting. He lifted these carefully loose, cupping them in one hoof before he suddenly stepped forwards and shouted: “Show thyself!”

The ponies behind him flinched... then stared in horror as a phantasm appeared only a few inches away from Sleipnir, incorporeal and stuttering in and out of reality in the sunlight that spilled down through the canopy of dead branches. Sleipnir faced it fearlessly as the sallow ghost loomed closer, rasping silently as it began to lean forwards, jaws opening as if to drink down his breath...

Sleipnir stabbed the iron scissors forwards, and to the shock of the misfits, the ghost's skull all but shattered before it screamed silently and leapt backwards, vanishing from sight. The stallion grimaced at this, then looked sharply over his shoulder at Auros, but the Lich looked as dumbfounded as the rest of the ponies.

All the same, Sleipnir turned around and stepped up in front of the undead unicorn, and Auros blinked a few times before he shook his head violently, saying hurriedly: “That... that wasn't anyone from my kingdom! Not unless...”

Auros chewed on his lip fearfully, and then he shook his head and mumbled: “No, no. I... I sealed all the dangerous spirits away, and it's not like any of those idiots have the magic to access or use my... I... no, no, no...”

Auros began to pace nervously back and forth, and Sleipnir simply watched him for a few moments before Butch asked fearfully: “What the hell was that? I ain't never seen nothing like that before, not in all my life... and I've seen some damn weird stuff since movin' out here!”

“'Twas a ghost of sorts... a wretched, miserable thing.” muttered Sleipnir, shaking his head slowly. “Not so wicked as a poltergeist, not so dangerous as a wraith... but able to travel in the light of day without fear of it. Auros?”

The Lich looked up dumbly, and then he shook his head almost wildly again before saying nervously: “I... I never used the wraiths, like I told you! I had them all sealed up in the dungeon, but that idiot Roch must have freed them... why would I let them out? They're hateful, vile things, they don't take orders, they just run out and try to find life energy to eat. They draw too much attention. I... I prefer things that can be controlled. That are tangible. That make sense. I am an illustrator, an artisan, a... a creator! I am not a destroyer!”

Auros almost shouted the last, glaring at Sleipnir as he trembled a little, and the earth pony sighed a little before reaching up and gently patting him between the ears, saying softly: “Aye, Auros, I know thou art not. And I do not blame thee for this, fear not. I merely need thy... wretched, wicked mind's aid, does thou understand?”

“Thank you for the compliment.” the Lich said sourly, and then he sighed and looked down, nodding moodily after a moment and mumbling: “I suppose that I do, Sleipnir, but... I don't remember any phantasms in my kingdom or in the dungeons. But I... I suppose it's possible that Roch may be tampering with transmutation necromancies; removing the spirit of a skeleton from its bones, for example, transforming it into a ghost...”

Sleipnir grimaced at this thought: that was really the last thing that they needed, revenge-hungry undead experimenting on their own as they hunted them down. And yet Sleipnir felt strangely... disappointed, too. He'd thought for a moment that he'd actually managed to get through, at least to that skeleton mage... and if not because of reason, then because he'd made it clear that they weren't any match for him and his friends.

But maybe that had only propelled Roch or whatever his name was to try even more desperate measures... and Sleipnir sighed wryly before he looked meditatively over at Auros, saying finally: “Well, do not fear, friend. I shall do all in my power to protect thee.”

Auros looked stunned at this, staring up at Sleipnir with disbelief before he blurted: “But why? I... I used you! I tried to kill you!”

The misfits looked surprised, but Sleipnir only smiled kindly at the Lich, reaching up to gently touch his shoulder as he said softly: “Because thy death shan't solve anything, my friend. Thou wert trying to defend thy kingdom and thy rule, albeit in a very silly way, but I shan't fault thee for it all the same. I have let go of our quarrel. I recommend that thou does the same.”

Auros only blinked slowly, and then Sleipnir turned back around and gestured quickly outwards, saying finally: “We should still be able to gather materials if we are quick, though. I do not sense the chill of any other lost souls in the area. But let us be fast all the same, for I fear I will have to beg thy assistance in warding the walls against such spirits.”

“I... I suppose that I can help with that.” the Lich mumbled, and then he shivered a bit as he looked to the south, in the direction of his former kingdom. “What is Roch doing...”

Sleipnir couldn't help but worry that neither of them were going to like the answer to that question: he felt even more sure that they would be seeing that skeleton mage again as well, and who knew what other maleficent soldiers of the dead kingdom...

Yet still, even as they hurried to gather materials, even as trepidation ran through all the ponies present and Sleipnir heard Mother Nature whispering her worries to him, the stallion didn't regret what he had done. He had done what he felt was right, and now he would deal with the consequences of his actions and continue to do everything in his power to stride towards a better future.

They managed a fair harvest even with their hurry, then returned quickly to the fortress. Sleipnir's first order of business was to inspect the drawbridge while the misfits took the herbs and roots they had gathered to the small apothecary, the stallion studying both the chains he'd repaired as well as the machinery that worked the drawbridge as Auros lingered nervously.

“What does thou require to help me in protecting this fortress against evil spirits?” asked Sleipnir curiously, and Auros looked up in surprise before the stallion turned away from the enormous wheel that powered the drawbridge to face the Lich. “Well?”

“I suppose... simple warding runes would work for the short term.” the Lich said slowly, and then he nodded musingly, looking down and muttering: “Yes, warding totems... if I had my magic, it would only take me a few moments. But as I don't...” He glared pointedly at Sleipnir. “It will take me quite some time to carve them all by hoof.”

“Well, carve the first for me, and then Invidia and I shall mimic thy design.” Sleipnir said easily, and the Lich looked surprised by this before the earth pony cocked his head. “Well, that will work, will it not?”

“Yes, it should... I suppose even Lock, Shock, and Barrel should be able to handle carving wood.” muttered Auros, and then he scowled before leaning forwards, asking moodily: “Are you really going to trust me, Sleipnir? Or is this some... some grand trick, all part of some enormous ploy to test where my loyalties lie?”

Sleipnir replied by shrugging amiably, and the Lich soured at this before the earth pony said gently: “The only methods I know of to protect this encampment involve iron and salt, and both will take too much time, and use too much of such precious resources. Nor do I want the fortress to be painful for Lock, Shock, Barrel, and thyself to be in. I seek to keep out the evil spirits, not house or imprison thou and our friends.”

Auros grumbled under his breath, and then he gestured towards the drawbridge, asking moodily: “And what about when Roch marches an army of skeletons and zombies to the gates of this keep? Or worse yet, simply marches them into the moat... I'm certain that you recognize as well as I do there's a gaping defensive flaw in their sewers. This is precisely why my kingdom did not have sewers. Well, that and all the money we saved.”

“Aye, but thou and thy kind do not poop, either.” Sleipnir said mildly, and the Lich huffed at this response, crossing his forelegs and glaring at the enormous earth pony. “Well, 'tis true! But very well. What does thou require for this totem? Will a log of wood suffice?”

“Yes. Stripped of bark, at least a few inches thick and a foot's length.” the Lich said moodily, and then he frowned when Sleipnir nodded before turning to stride into the forest. “What are you doing? Where are you going?”

“To fetch thee thy wood, of course! I shall be only a few minutes, fear not.” Sleipnir called easily over his shoulder, and then the earth pony smiled slightly as he turned his gaze back ahead, bowing his head politely as he said softly: “I must ask yet again for thy bounty, Mother Nature. I fear I must seem much the greedy foal to thee these days, but... these poor ponies need much in the way of protection, even if I do not understand how they could end up so lacking when they have such riches all around them.”

Sleipnir chuckled quietly as he wandered seemingly aimlessly through the forest, until he came to an old, large tree. He studied this thoughtfully, looking over the dead branches, hearing the creak of the wood as it bent and swayed under its own weight, and then he smiled slightly before bringing a hoof back and saying quietly: “Thou hast my thanks for thy gifts.”

Sleipnir slammed a hoof into the trunk of the tree, bark flying in all directions as deep fissures tore through the wood, and then the earth pony quickly spun around and slammed both rear hooves as hard as he could into the tree, sending it tottering backwards to crash down with a tremendous bang, only a short, jagged stump left behind.

Five minutes later, Sleipnir wandered back to the camp, humming under his breath and dragging the fallen tree and most of its branches with him. Then he frowned a little as several ponies came hurrying towards him as he entered the fortress, all of them shouting and yelling and pointing...

And after a moment, Sleipnir's eyes widened as he caught a few of the random words, the stallion dropping the tree and bolting immediately past the group of ponies. He leapt through the intersection and rammed his way through a door, several ponies yelping as they stumbled out of his way and the earth pony not stopping to apologize as he shot for the steps leading down into the basement of the fortress.

He ran past several more people, hurrying past equipment and then shouldering his way through the cellars, slowing only slightly so he could push past a knot of frightened ponies without hurting them until he reached an open door... and grimaced as he stepped carefully inside.

One of the skeletons on the other side of the room snarled at him immediately, Auros wheezing quietly in his grip and leaning away from the knife in the undead pony's grip with a whimper. Sleipnir studied the skeleton, noted the runes carved over one side of his skull, and then he held up a hoof before saying quietly: “I do not wish to harm thee. Put down thy weapon and we shall talk about this.”

“No way.” growled the skeleton, who was backed up against the far wall: Sleipnir had no doubt that he'd been trying to escape out through the sewers, but the assassin had either taken a wrong turn or been boxed in by the misfits, and he hadn't been brave enough to try and force his way through them. Which at least told Sleipnir a fair bit about this would-be assassin... “Now listen up. You show me the way out of here or I slit this bastard's throat.”

“Harsh language. I am terrified indeed.” Sleipnir intoned dryly, and then he shook his head slowly before stepping slowly forwards into the dusty, abandoned storeroom, the skeleton seeming to flinch a bit even as Auros yelped and flailed a little when the trembling knife pressed tighter into his neck. “That is a Lich in thy grip. Thou cannot kill a Lich so easily.”

“Yeah, see, that's what I thought, too... but it just so happens that this knife can.” growled the skeleton, and Sleipnir cocked his head curiously. “It's enchanted, see. It'll slice right into the Lich King's spirit and sap all the energy out of him. And if you don't want a taste of this yourself, you better listen to me and do what I say!”

Sleipnir only huffed loudly, then stepped slowly forwards as he complained: “Oh, now that is nonsense. Thou art lying to me, I see nothing more threatening than a sprig of iron in thy grip!”

“Yeah? Why don't you come over here and-” As the skeleton gestured sharply at Sleipnir with the knife, the earth pony moved like lightning, leaping forwards and punching the flat of the weapon fiercely enough to knock it flying across the room... and tearing off most of the skeleton's forelimb with it, bones bouncing and cracking as they struck the floor.

The skeleton gaped in shock at his missing limb, and then Auros yelled before he awkwardly flipped the skeleton over his shoulder and slammed him down onto his back, likely only succeeding because of how light the assassin of one was. Then the Lich started to viciously stomp on his assailant, but Sleipnir sighed tiredly before stepping forwards and moodily grabbing Auros by the back of the neck, hauling him easily into the air with one hoof and saying flatly: “Thou does not get to pummel the fool, for thou art a great fool thyself.”

Auros flailed uselessly for a moment, then slumped in Sleipnir's grip, looking humiliated and frustrated as the skeleton attempted to wiggle away. But Sleipnir easily reached down and caught the skeleton by one leg before hauling him upside down into the air, looking moodily at the assassin and asking distastefully: “And thou. Upon thy face is carved a tracking charm. I take it thou wert supposed to act as a scout?”

“I'll never tell you anything!” the skeleton growled, waving his remaining foreleg uselessly... although Sleipnir could hear the bravado already rapidly bleeding out of the skeleton's voice. “Y-You... can't cause me any pain, so there's no way you can torture it out of me!”

“I certainly know how to cause you pain. And I would be more than happy to. Or we can just pull off your head and throw the rest of you into the forest for the animals to chew on.” Auros grumbled, crossing his forelegs, and then he winced when Sleipnir shook him once before the earth pony dropped the Lich on his rump.

The skeleton visibly twitched at these threats, however, and Sleipnir added mildly: “Aye... and great idiot, thou brought thine own torture tool with thee, that silly knife. But do not look at me with such horror, I am no cur like thou and thy kind are: soul-sucking weapons, bah. I cannot begin to express my contempt and my great sadness that thou would use such atrocities. Here, look at me now! I pled for mercy for the Lich King so thou and thy kind would not pursue these dark arts; look now where the path of revenge takes thee, to thy worse-than-death!”

Sleipnir flung the skeleton down, and it bounced once against the ground before looking up and beginning to open its jaw... and then it whimpered and flung itself backwards when Sleipnir simply stomped forwards with a thunderous look. “O-Okay, okay, okay! You guys win! I... I didn't want to be here anyway, this isn't... I mean... have mercy! Mercy!”

The earth pony shook his head slowly, then he said softly: “It does neither of us good to hear thee cry that word as if 'tis thy salvation, for 'tis not. Mercy is more than something to beg for to escape the enemy's wrath. 'Tis a gift.”

Sleipnir stomped a hoof down, and the skeleton whimpered and flung itself backwards before the enormous earth pony straightened and smiled briefly. “Aye, though. Nothing shall be gained through punishing thee further. Thou art a coward, and a fool: if I put thee in chains, that tracking charm shall simply lead the army of the dead here. If I destroy thee, then 'twill be as if I have declared war, and the dead will hunt this location out anyway. Nay, I shall send thee back with one last warning, my friend: tell thy friends and warlord that naught but ill things will come of trying to continue this war. Tell them that I have been as merciful as I can... but if another attack comes, I shall do what must be done, for thou would threaten innocent lives alongside those thou hast judged as guilty.”

“Y-Yes, of course.” mumbled the skeleton fearfully from the ground, half-hiding under his remaining leg. He looked nervously towards his knife, but then yelped when Sleipnir reached out and gently grasped his bony back, hefting him easily up and turning around to gently set the three-legged skeleton down in front of the doorway.

Misfits lurched away from him, but the skeleton seemed just as scared of them as they were of him... except of course, the panicked ponies probably couldn't read his body language all that well, and Sleipnir gave a wry smile before he said gently: “This wretch shan't hurt any of thee... does not have the power in his bones to harm any of thee. He is no stronger than a normal pony and now lacks speed and balance. Lead him out and send him back into the wilds.”

The ponies looked fearful, but eventually Jolly Roger stepped forwards, growling: “Alright, avast then, time for him to walk the plank! We'll throw him to the forest sea, and if the brine doesn't take him, let him scuttle his way back to his crew!”

The skeleton winced a bit at this, although Sleipnir had to hold back a grin of amusement at the pirate Pegasus, and how he always started to talk every time he got a little bit too excited about this or that. But even if his special talent was old-fashioned pirating, the stallion knew that Jolly Roger could have made a fine naval officer... if only he would get past his bad habit of getting drunk and forgetting that he wasn't a real pirate.

The skeleton shrank fearfully away from Jolly Roger, and the other ponies took reassurance and strength from this, gathering themselves before the big Pegasus growled and stomped firmly down. And the skeleton whimpered before stumbling forwards... but as the misfits started to jeer, to get a little too rowdy, Sleipnir said firmly: “Treat him with respect. Treat the enemy better than they would ever treat thee: 'tis not simply about being the better pony, but 'tis about teaching them the error of their ways through the good of ours.”

The crowd of ponies shifted uneasily, but Jolly Roger looked up and nodded once, and Sleipnir smiled: he could trust these misfits to do the right thing at the end of the day, he thought. And as they began to escort the would-be assassin away, Sleipnir turned towards Auros... who was now moodily playing a hoof over the knife he had picked up, glowering balefully.

Sleipnir approached and held out a hoof, and Auros looked at him for a few moments before he grumbled and simply held it out towards the earth pony. The stallion took it, looking thoughtfully over the weapon before he murmured: “Wretched. I feel the hate and the sorrow in this blade... what a poor, evil thing. What does thou think, Auros?”

“I think I actually agree with you for once.” muttered the Lich, shaking his head briefly before he sighed a little and grimaced a bit. “But if I were you, I would hold on to that nasty thing. We may be dealing with spirits in the future.”

“Aye, I know.” Sleipnir smiled, then he simply took the knife between his hooves before snapping it in half, and the Lich grimaced away from the burst of energy and the sighs of released spirits that went up. Then Sleipnir easily dropped the broken weapon before he said gently: “Blessed iron will serve me well enough against them, though... and perhaps spare even their lives.”

“They aren't alive. I never pretended that any of us were alive...” the Lich King murmured moodily, looking down and shaking his head briefly, and then he frowned a little when Sleipnir reached up and squeezed his shoulder gently.

“Many of the living walk around as if dead or dying, even though their whole lives stretch out before them, my friend... and I have met some very special ponies who only found true life and calling after they had passed on.” Sleipnir said softly, and then he chuckled quietly and said gently: “Living and not are as much states of mind as they are states of being. If thou desires to cease being dead, all thou must do is live. 'Tis simple.”

“Yes. Simple.” Auros said drolly, and then he sighed tiredly and shook his head moodily. But as Sleipnir turned away, the Lich dropped his head low and mumbled something, Sleipnir blinking in surprise before cocking his head curiously as he looked over his shoulder.

The undead unicorn only huffed and stormed past Sleipnir, however, and the earth pony grinned a little after a moment before he said kindly: “Thou art very welcome.”

“Oh, shut up, you peon.” Auros said disgustedly, and then he dropped his head grumpily and added grouchily: “I still don't know why you even bothered to keep me alive, though, or what it is you want from me.”

“Well, aye, I do hope for thy assistance. But thou knows thou art free to leave any time thou likes.” Sleipnir said blandly, and Auros stumbled to a stop as they passed into the cellars, looking over his shoulder in surprise as the earth pony only smiled. “Well, 'tis true. And if thou asks kindly, I may even give thee back thy phylactery. But... I could use thy help here, Auros. And with going home.”

“This... portal project you talked about...” the Lich half-asked, and Sleipnir nodded childishly a few times before the undead unicorn scowled a little. “I still don't believe any of this nonsense about you being an 'angel,' or even from another realm. It's all ridiculous and impossible. Everypony knows that all life is merely a cycle: that is what an undeath like mine is based upon, simply... extending that cycle into an eternity. What could be worse than living your life all over again, after all?”

Sleipnir shrugged, then answered after a moment: “Bee stings. 'Tis nothing more terrible than being stung in the buttocks by a foul, evil bee.”

Auros reached a hoof up and slowly dragged it down his face, looking pained, and then Sleipnir rose a hoof and added quickly: “And once upon a time, my little sister Luna cooked this most wretched of dinners. Now, I am not one to undervalue a meal, nor of weak constitution. But Luna's cookery has always been fearsome: all too often I think we should merely have fed Fenrir one of her awful stews, and the Black Wolf would never have troubled the world again.”

The Lich only looked at Sleipnir for a few moments before he rolled his eyes and turned around, muttering: “Why do I even bother attempting to have a decent conversation with you...”

“Thou reminds me so much of Blue.” Sleipnir said jovially, and the Lich further soured at this, glowering over his shoulder before he almost bumped into one of the misfits, wincing and stumbling to the side as Sleipnir smiled warmly. “Aye, Freeze?”

The unicorn named Freeze Dry smiled awkwardly at the stallion: she was a very faint blue, with a short, spiky yellow mane and eyes that were a much darker, almost-gold. On her flank was the symbol of an ice cube: her talent was essentially freezing objects with magic, and she was probably one of the few ponies in the fortress who were really comfortable with their current lodging: the cold never seemed to bother her, after all. “Uh... well, Jack wants to talk to you. He's kind of worried about stuff.”

Sleipnir chuckled at this, nodding once before he replied easily: “I have some wood to cut, and then I shall be up in a moment. Will thou tell Jack Lantern this, oh beautiful snowflake?”

Freeze Dry blushed a pale blue and nodded hurriedly, then turned around and almost tripped over her own hooves as she ran up the stairs. Auros rolled his eyes, and then he scowled when Sleipnir said warmly: “So many ponies, of such unique talents!”

“They're weird. They're all weird and some of them even look weird. One of them has a checkered coat, did you see her?” asked the Lich moodily, and Sleipnir grinned roguishly.

“Oh, I more than saw her, my friend. She and I gladly played a wonderful game of hneftafl with her most glorious body... and I am pleased to see that after a long and difficult battle, my king finally cornered her queen.” Sleipnir winked, and Auros made a gagging sound... then yelped and was almost knocked flat as Sleipnir patted firmly on the stallion's back. “Careful now, friend. Breathe slowly.”

“Thank you, Sleipnir.” Auros said acidly as he picked himself up, then he grumbled moodily as he led the way up the stairs, hesitating for a moment before saying suddenly: “What is even the point of trying to leave when I don't have my phylactery? If anything happened to me-”

“Then thou would merely return to it, that is all, and thy spirit would slowly but steadily reconstitute itself.” Sleipnir paused meditatively, studying the Lich with interest. “Although I must admit thou art a rather interesting case. I see no signs of strain upon thy body, and yet thy horn has been very slow in regenerating... does thou modulate the flow of the magic that powers thee somehow? Is that perhaps why thou uses a blood ruby upon thy amulet, wicked as such arts are?”

The Lich stumbled to a stop, staring with disbelief at Sleipnir, and the enormous earth pony smiled before he said gently: “I have met more than one Lich in my time, Auros. And I have had the most wonderful pleasure of being dear friend and family to one whom helped me to look past mine own silly prejudices, and understand that we are all merely what we make ourselves.”

“Uh... huh.” Auros said dumbly, and then he shook himself hurriedly before glancing awkwardly away, mumbling: “Lucky... lucky guesses. And that blood ruby is made from my own original ashes and soul, I will have you know. That's why it works as such an effective filter.”

Sleipnir smiled kindly, then stepped forwards and wrapped a foreleg around Auros, almost choking him as the earth pony said easily: “And look! Here I am proven wrong, my ignorance rebuffed and my opinion of thee left ever higher, my friend! I apologize for assuming the worst... although 'tis rather miraculous, to hear thou made a blood ruby of thine own remains... thou must tell me the story one day, I would be most fascinated to hear it.”

Auros only wheezed loudly, and then he shoved uselessly at the stallion before prying himself slowly out of the earth pony's grip and glaring at him poisonously. “Why? What use would an earth pony like you have for any of that?”

“Perhaps not much, but I am very fond of stories. And perhaps mine own friend back home could make good use of such knowledge... or even just to know that she is not the only Lich to walk this path with goodness in her heart.” Sleipnir smiled gently, saying softly: “For I believe there is good in thy heart, my friend. Whatever foolishness thou committed as king... I believe 'twas only foolishness, and never evil.”

Auros glared almost angrily up at Sleipnir, but the Lich trembled ever-so-slightly, and he clearly couldn't find any words as he opened his mouth, shifting back and forth... so Sleipnir only smiled again before he patted the stallion on the back, then simply walked away, heading out through the main building and into the courtyard.

He chuckled as he found Butch already at work, cutting up the branches into good-sized logs, and the earth pony said kindly: “Good work, my friend, but these are not to be burned as wood. They are for protecting thy home from spirits. Pass that hatchet, I shall make short work of this.”

“I know, I heard. Well, sort of.” Butch said wryly, gesturing pointedly over his shoulder at Betty Hear, the mare blushing and half-hiding amidst some scaffolding. “I also heard that you have to go meet Jack. Go on, don't keep the old stallion waiting, Sleipnir.”

Sleipnir sighed loudly, but then he nodded after a moment, saying mildly: “Oh, very well, if thou insists.” He paused, then looked over his shoulder, then glanced curiously around when he realized Auros hadn't followed him. “Tell Auros if thou sees him to show Invidia how to carve these totems. I am certain she will appreciate the lesson and lessen his burden as well.”

Sleipnir paused, then looked oddly proud of himself before he declared: “Lesson and lessen! Did thou hear? Aye, I am quite a poet!”

Butch only smiled wryly, and then the misfit hesitated for a moment before almost blurting out, as Sleipnir started to turn away: “Why did you want to save that... assassin?”

The enormous earth pony glanced over his shoulder, then he chuckled after a moment, saying in a kind voice: “Do not fear, Butch. By all means, ask thy real question.”

The red stallion blushed a bit at this, and then he cleared his throat loudly before asking awkwardly: “Why uh... why the hell didn't you just turn over Auros? I... I ain't saying that I don't agree with you, I just... he hasn't been doin' a whole lot more than make a nuisance of himself, that's all. I don't know why the hell you work so hard to make us include him in everything when he seems to want to be left well enough alone.”

“Because he does not. He is shy, that is all.” Sleipnir shrugged a little, and then he softened a bit, glancing down and adding softly: “Because I too misjudged him. Aye, his hooves have blood upon them... but I question if they are any worse than mine own. I question if he did not do his best, Lich or not. And I know that while he craves both power and control, I also do not think... he is cruel. He is capable of cruel things, certainly, but he is not cruel by nature.”

The earth pony halted, then smiled and shrugged easily, saying softly: “Fear makes fools of us all, Butcher, and drives us to doing vile things when we feel we are alone. Besides, look at us: are we not as much misfits as all of thee? We must stick together, my friend! Thou, I, Auros, all of us.”

He laughed, and Butch chuckled quietly before he nodded briefly, murmuring: “I suppose you got a point there. Alright. I'll buy into that, and... well, Lock, Shock and Barrel seemed to fit in right quick. At least, once most of us started getting used to having three skeletons wandering around the place. Still gives me the heebie-jeebies at night when I see 'em, though.”

“Aye, well, fear not. I think the three of them seem to enjoy giving all of thee a friendly scare now and then.” Sleipnir said amiably, and Butch gave a rueful smile before the enormous, vine-maned stallion turned to head back towards the main building, calling cheerfully: “Try and not gossip too much, Betty Hear! And if thou art so interested in what goes on in my bedchambers, then by all means feel free to do more than just listen at the door!”

Butch laughed as Betty squeaked and crammed herself further beneath the scaffolding in embarrassment, while Sleipnir grinned to himself as he made his way to one of the few other accessible doors in the keep. He shouldered his way through the old, warped wood, mentally adding it to his to-do list as he trotted down a half-ruined hall.

They had done some shoddy repair work here and there, but Sleipnir was honestly pained by the sight of some of this: here was a joist that had been improperly secured and was just waiting for an excuse to fall on somepony's head, there was a support rod that they had done more damage to the wall hammering into place than if they'd left it alone.

All the same, these misfits had survived quite admirably on their own... the problem was just that none of them had yet really learned they could put their odd talents to use in other ways that would benefit the strange little society they had built here. Sleipnir hoped that he had the time to at least help a few of them understand that their unique talents really were blessings, and not curses like most of them treated theirs: all it required was a little discipline and creative thinking instead of, well... running away. Because as much as he adored this place, it made him a little sad, too, because it also represented how all these misfits had decided to deal with their problem: running away from it.

Sleipnir calmly pushed through the door at the top of a curving flight of steps, and then he smiled slightly at the old orange stallion who looked moodily up from the desk. His mane was a curly green, and his eyes dark emeralds that glittered with a little bit of bitterness, a little bit of annoyance... but a deep strength of character and a resolve that Sleipnir respected. “You know, it would be nice if you could actually come when I ask you to one of these days.”

“'Tis funny, usually it is the mares who say that. Not that they are complaining, rather that they are embarrassed that I am able to-”

Jack Lantern sighed tiredly, holding up a hoof and saying irritably: “Stop that. Now listen, everypony here is worried about these undead. It's not that we've never been aware of them... we've seen more than our share of strange things living in this isolated place. Why, for a while we even played host to a short little creature who claimed he was a dentist, and a large, friendly Yeti. They left with the oddest deer you've ever seen, with a great bulbous red nose. He thought his friends were too good for our little community.”

Sleipnir fidgeted a little, and Jack Lantern looked at him dryly for a few moments before he shook his head, saying moodily: “What I'm getting at is that we do our best not to judge. And Lock, Shock, and Barrel are certainly welcome here. They might call me the Pumpkin King but I've had much worse nicknames over the years.”

“Thou sounds rather pleased with it, really. And tell me again, why art thou here? For thou wert quite successful at running Nightmare Night, weren't thou?” asked Sleipnir curiously, and Jack Lantern gave a dry laugh at this.

“Oh, certainly. But it's a holiday that comes once a year. And even if one year I garnered the approval and an award from Princess Luna herself, it didn't matter all that much: everyone forgot about me the next day and my little shop was left deserted day after day.” Jack muttered, shaking his head briefly. “You know how I ended up here. I got tired of it all. And... here I am.”

“Aye, but thou almost did what many of these others must learn to do, Jack Lantern. Thou almost found a way to harness thy wonderful talent, to make use of it in a way that all could appreciate, every day of the year.” Sleipnir smiled kindly, striding forwards and reaching up to pat a hoof encouragingly on the old stallion's desk, almost tipping the uneven furnishing over and making him scramble to grab his papers before they could scatter. “And look at thou now! Thou hast gone above and beyond, and learned great skills alongside thy talent.”

Jack only sighed, fumbling through his papers as he muttered: “Nothing no pony else could do, though. Besides, half the time I get all the estimates wrong and... no, I'm not letting you distract me again. Sleipnir, Auros makes all the ponies here nervous. He can't stay here.”

Sleipnir huffed at this, and Jack held up a hoof, saying quietly: “Look, it's not just because he's a Lich, or... rude. We put up with Rack, we can certainly put up with rude ponies. But if he's being hunted by these other undead, we can't put these ponies at risk just to take care of him. Especially not with that dragon still a threat. I'm sorry.”

“'Tis not I thou should apologize to.” Sleipnir stopped, then he shook his head and added in a softer voice: “I do understand thy position, Jack, but still... it saddens me. Especially as there is still the hope they shan't pursue or attack here again, and Auros will be helping to ward this place against evil spirits. He will contribute, and willingly, upon my honor.”

“You believe too readily in other ponies.” Jack muttered after a moment, shaking his head and drawing back, and then he sighed when the earth pony huffed at him. “I call it as I see it, Sleipnir, that's all. Although, well...”

Jack stopped, looking down and picking up his pencil to tap it slowly against the table, and then he shook his head briefly before saying moodily: “Look. We'll put up with Auros as long as you're here, alright? But when you leave, then he has to leave. And if anything happens in that timeframe, you are responsible for dealing with it.”

“Aye, I understand.” Sleipnir said almost grumpily, and then he shook his head quickly. “Well, I do not see us staying here much longer, in any event. Blue is recovering well... it should be but a few more days before he is well enough to travel. We will perhaps impose upon thy company only a little longer than that, to deal with thy dragon issue.”

Jack Lantern grunted, shifting embarrassedly and looking down for a moment, but then he only gave a short nod. There was an awkward silence for a few moments, and Sleipnir cleared his throat as he reached out and swiped a pencil, playing it between his hooves as he looked pointedly at the stallion.

Jack ignored him until Sleipnir finally snapped the pencil in half by accident, and then the old pony gave a tired sigh before he asked distastefully: “What is it that you want now?”

Sleipnir only shrugged innocently, and Jack looked at him for a few moments before he returned to scribbling away notes on his papers. And Sleipnir went back to playing with the two broken halves of pencil, humming a little to himself as Jack did his best to ignore the titanic stallion until he finally looked up... and glowered at the fact Sleipnir had lodged both broken bits of pencil in his nostrils, and was trying his best to look like nothing was wrong.

They looked at each other for the longest time, and then Sleipnir sneezed loudly, sending both chunks of broken pencil flying and making Jack swear in disgust and frustration, throwing up his front legs. Then he dropped his elbows loudly on the desk and his face into his hooves, rubbing moodily at his forehead before Sleipnir said blandly: “I fear that I taste lead, and it makes me feel rather ill.”

“Pencils aren't made with lead anymore.” Jack said tiredly, and then he looked up for a moment before saying finally: “Alright. Alright, if it'll just make you go away, I'll... I admit that maybe we need a little bit of help that I feel uncomfortable asking for after telling you that you're going to have to evict your... your friend.”

Sleipnir only smiled, however, shrugging and replying kindly: “Well, that is simply silly, my friend. For help is what I am here to give. And fear not: I will not lie and say I am not disappointed, but all the same I did hope to have Auros help me with another task of mine own. But I had hoped at least he would be more... accepted here.”

Jack shifted a little, and then Sleipnir asked gently, thankfully steering the subject away: “But what job would thou have me do?”

“You've already done a lot to help us with the repairs here, but... we're just about out of raw materials. We need bricks and mortar and lumber... and well, in the past I just had Butch and Roger and Bertha go and fetch the materials for me from an abandoned lumber camp to the east. It's not a far journey, but...” Jack hesitated. “It's just that with the recent undead attacks and all...”

“Aye, fear not. I shall even do thee one better, and when I return, I shall teach some of thy ponies to tend the poor, battered beast of a forge thou has and how to repair the walls properly thyselves. I must admit, I was hoping for a reason to give thy ponies a lesson in craft and repair anyway... some of thy repairs are...” Sleipnir hesitated, searching for a proper word before he said delicately: “Humble.”

“Humble.” Jack smiled briefly all the same, and then he shook his head slowly. “Well, Sleipnir. It will never cease to amaze me that you can actually be quite a tactful stallion when you want to be. Alright, I'll let you choose your work crew, then... since you've been here, we've been able to get a lot more done and I have to worry less about ponies lagging off.”

Sleipnir smiled slightly, then he nodded briefly before saying thoughtfully: “Butch and Roger I have already ordered around enough for one day. Perhaps I shall have Bertha come with me: if not to guide me, then simply for the pleasant company.”

“Only you would find her pleasant company.” muttered Jack, and then he sighed and nodded, looking up and saying finally: “Do me a favor and check in once you're back. Let me know how much you managed to secure and I'll be able to tell you what we need repaired most. Deal?”

Sleipnir smiled warmly and nodded firmly. “Aye, and 'tis a far better one than I am used to getting. Thou art a fine administrator, Jack. I only wish thou would see for thyself what a patriarch thou hast become to these poor ponies.”

Jack Lantern simply laughed a little, shaking his head slowly, and the enormous earth pony bowed his head politely before he turned to leave. He almost bounced down the steps, happy to have something to do for now: he liked work, and he enjoyed helping these ponies out. He only wished that they would let him and his friends do more to make this place a better home for the misfits.

He emerged outside to find it was snowing lightly, and the stallion smiled warmly: big, thick flakes were falling slowly from the sky, and it added a strange sense of serenity to this ruin of a fortress; and as the powder fell over the scaffolding and the crumbled battlements, it gave the derelict structure a strange beauty, and helped Sleipnir see all the promise hidden within these still-strong walls. There was such potential here, for such a wonderful home for these misfit ponies: they only had to see it, and seize upon it while they had the opportunity.

Sleipnir shook himself briskly, and then he strode through the crowded courtyard and towards the side building where Steele lived, and had kindly allowed them to stay. He pushed into the familiar warmth of the den... and smiled warmly as he found not only Invidia and Auros carving logs, but Blue slowly but carefully working to engrave his own. “Well, do mine eyes deceive me? Blue, awake and doing a peasant's noble work!”

The unicorn laughed a little at this, smiling tiredly up at Sleipnir as Invidia said gently: “He has been doing very well, as a matter of fact. Both in helping us and in his recovery. It is a pleasure and relief to be able to say that there is no lasting damage.”

“I... I want to help. That's all.” Blue murmured, looking up and nodding a little. “And... I'm very tired, but it feels good to stay awake and to... contribute. And besides, the longer I'm awake the... the easier it gets.”

Sleipnir gazed kindly at Blue, and then he hesitated a moment before asking softly: “Hast thou been able to see thy face yet?”

Blue shifted uncomfortably, and Invidia softened as she looked over at the unicorn as he reached up and self-consciously touched the scars that marred one side of his face. They zigged and zagged wildly over his cheek, and while Sleipnir had seen worse... he was well aware that would be little solace to the young, handsome prince.

But after a moment, Blueblood smiled faintly and glanced down, murmuring: “I'd... I'd rather wait a little while before I... look, if that's alright. I...”

“Well, at least thou knows they are there. And no, 'tis not cowardice.” Sleipnir said softly, and then he shook his head before saying gently: “Do not overexert thyself, my friend. Just do what thou can, and 'twill be more than enough. 'Tis already more than I could fairly ask of thee.”

Blue nodded a little, and the earth pony glanced over at Auros, but the Lich was pointedly keeping his head down as he carved calmly away. So Sleipnir only shrugged before saying cheerfully: “Well, in further good news, I have been asked to retrieve materials and assist with the repairs of this wonderful little fortress.”

“I like how that's good news to you.” grumbled the Lich, finally joining in the conversation. “And by the way. I won't be troubling you for much longer.”

“Oh, shush. We shall talk about that later, Auros. Although I am somehow unsurprised to find thou art listening in to my conversations somehow.” Sleipnir said mildly, and the Lich only scowled before the earth pony said softly: “Besides. Thou shall stay here for as long as I am here, and we still have time to convince the ponies of thy goodness, if thou art willing to try and thou desires to stay here. But elsewise, I have important work for thee. I was not lying on that account.”

The Lich shifted a little, and Invidia and Blue only looked curious before Sleipnir shook his head quickly and said kindly: “In any event, I must not keep these ponies waiting. So I shall ask thee all to take care of each other while I am gone. I may be busy until late in the evening, and I am certain all tomorrow will be taken up with repairs... but there is good news. I feel there shall be a storm in the next day or so.”

“How is that ever good news?” Blueblood asked dryly, and Sleipnir looked at him mildly before the unicorn nodded a few times, questioning querulously: “The dragon, right, right. I remember, I do. What... I know better than to doubt you by now, Sleipnir, but can you really fight a dragon?”

Sleipnir only winked at the prince, saying cheerfully: “Fear not, young Blue. I do not think it shall come to that, but... we shall see in time. For now, rest here, make merry with our friends, and I shall return in the eve to check in on all of thee. Take care of each other, friends. I feel that we shall accomplish great things together.”

Invidia smiled, Blueblood nodded hesitantly, and Auros only grumbled under his breath, but Sleipnir gazed warmly over all of them before turning and heading back out into the courtyard, feeling that as long as he and his strange little company stuck together, they would be able to weather even the worst of the troubles the future promised to send their way.