• Published 10th Jul 2014
  • 5,202 Views, 224 Comments

Rainbow Unicorn: Friendship is Magic - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A unicorn version of Rainbow Dash is sent to Ponyville

  • ...
3
 224
 5,202

Flowers and Songbirds

"Soooo...Spike..." Rainbow said as they made their way out of Ponyville proper (again) to look for the cottage (that they had found earlier) to check on music. "That thing you did back there, where you... 'charmed' Rarity into listening to you..."

"Yeah?" Spike said, raising an eye brow as he turned to look at her.

"Where did you learn that?"

"I've had lessons at the castle too, you know. I may not be able to do more magic than just breathe fire, but I still had other things to learn. Plus, Princess Celestia figured it would be a good idea. That I might have to get us out of trouble."

That last part was not entirely true. Princess Celestia had mentioned that sometimes being able to charm a pony could be more helpful than any other method. It was more his own lifetime of experience with Rainbow that led Spike to figure that maybe he could help get them out of trouble her impulsive nature might cause.

"Have you tried that with me?" Rainbow asked, trying to eye Spike suspiciously.

Once or twice.

"No way," Spike replied, giving Rainbow a pat on the back. "You're way too cool to fall for such a lame trick as that."

Rainbow Burst stopped walking and shifted to look at Spike as best she could. She was unsure if he was actually being sincere and not trying it, or lying about it and actually using his charm on her right now.

"Ugh," she sighed as she resumed walking. "Whatever. The whole thing sounds like it would be a pain in the flank to try and figure out anyways. Let's just try to find the pony in charge of music and get this done with. This day has been a lot busier and weirder than I expected."

The two of them continued walking along the path they had taken to and from Sweet Apple Acres, looking for the cottage they had inadvertently found earlier. As they did, the sound of song birds reached them. The thing was, it sounded... odd. Like multiple birds were singing the same song.

Curious, the two followed it. Rainbow's ears shifted as she moved her head, listening to the music as they tried to find the source.

"Excuse me," a soft voice said. "Please stop, if you don't mind."

At the base of a tree where a large number of birds were sitting stood a yellow mare with a pink mane and tail. She looked kind of thin and delicate for an adult mare, like a strong breeze could knock her over. Her long pink mane covered her face, making it look like she was trying to hide behind it.

"Mister Cardinal?" the mare said. "You were just an itsy-bitsy teensy-weensy little tiny bit off on that last note. If you could try just a little harder, I would appreciate it very much.

"Okay. If you're ready, we're going to take it from the top again. Okay?"

"Hey," Rainbow called out, causing the yellow mare to squeak and tense up.

"My name is Rainbow Burst, what's yours?"

The mare continued to stand there, staring in the direction of the tree the birds were in.

"Uh...." Rainbow shifted her hooves. "We... were looking to check on the music for the celebration. Any chance that you're in charge of that?"

Rainbow and Spike moved closer, waiting for a response. Neither even saw the mare in question move. Rainbow reached out, poking at the mare with a hoof.

"You okay?"

At Rainbow's touch, the yellow mare fell over, her legs sticking straight out.

"I think you broke her," Spike said, moving to walk around the prone pony. Standing in front of her, he reached down to poke at her.

"Is she alive?"

The mare let out a gasp and suddenly shot up, knocking Rainbow off her hooves and coming eye to eye with Spike.

"Oh my goodness," she squealed, "It's a baby dragon." She gripped his face, giving a squeeze. "He's so cute!"

"Well I like to think of myself more as ruggedly handsome," Spike said with his face being pressed in.

"And he talks! Oh, this is so incredibly wonderful. I didn't know baby dragons could talk. I... I don't even know what to say. What's your name?"

"It's Spike."

"It's so nice to meet you Spike. I'm Flowershy."

"Looks, like you have a fan," Rainbow said with a chuckle. Her horn lit up as she grabbed the scroll and quill.

"Music, check." She rolled it back up. "And with that, we are done."

"Done?" Flowershy asked. "Oh, so does that mean that you have some time to talk?"

"Sure," Spike replied with a grin. "What do you want to know?"

"Everything!" Flowershy said in a voice that was almost a shout of excitement.

"Sorry to interrupt story time," Rainbow said as she moved between the two, looking at the yellow mare, "but weren't you about to have the birds practice for the celebration again? I think they're ready to begin."

"Oh, my." Flowershy turned to look at the birds. "You're right. I'm sorry Spike. I promise we'll talk later if you like though."

"Sure," Spike said.

"If you want," Rainbow added, "we're staying at the..."

Her face scrunched up, looking like she tasted something unpleasant.

"...library..." she spat out.

"...until the day after the celebration. You can come by and talk then if you want."

"Thank you," Flowershy replied. "Now if you will excuse me please. I have some birds that are waiting to rehearse."

"No problem. Come on Spike."

Grabbing the young dragon in her magic, Rainbow put him back onto her back. The two of them started making their way back toward Ponyville, leaving the yellow mare with her birds to practice.