• Published 10th Jul 2014
  • 5,202 Views, 224 Comments

Rainbow Unicorn: Friendship is Magic - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A unicorn version of Rainbow Dash is sent to Ponyville

  • ...
3
 224
 5,202

Realization and Irritation

"So, what's next?" Rainbow asked as they continued to make their way through town.

Spike sat on Rainbow Burst's back, looking up at the sky. He let out a sigh as he watched a pale purple form fly through the air, dispersing cloud after cloud. It was not the fastest flying that he had seen, but Twilight seemed to know what she was doing. As soon as one cloud was gone, she was heading for the next one. It was like she knew the best route to get them all as quickly as possible.

"Spike!"

The young dragon let out a yelp of surprise at being yelled out, jumping slightly as he tensed. The reaction threw Spike off balance, causing him to fall off Rainbow's back. Fortunately, she was able to catch him in her magic before he hit the ground.

"You back with us now?" she asked as she set him down on his feet.

"Heh," he laughed with a blush, rubbing the back of his head. "Yeah. Sorry."

"It's fine. I guess I can see why you like her."

Spike grinned more. as he looked up toward the sky. Before his thoughts drifted too far, his attention was brought back to the present by a hoof tapping on his nose.

"We still have some work to do though," Rainbow stated. "Remember?"

"Right, right." Spike pulled out the scroll and his quill. "Let's see... weather is being taken care of." He placed a check mark.

"Next is... decorations."

Rainbow rolled her eyes and let out a groan.

"Now that sounds boring." She sighed and turned to look around. "Does it say where or who?"

Spike moved to climb back onto Rainbow and sit down. He looked at the scroll a moment longer.

"No name," he finally responded, "but it's supposed to be at the town hall."

"What?" Rainbow blurted out as she turned to look at Spike. "You mean the building we landed right next to when we came into town?"

The fins on Spike's head drooped as he gave a small grin at Rainbow. His eyes shifted, looking more the toward the side than at the unicorn standing in front of him.

"...yes?..."

"Oh, come on!' she snapped, stomping her hoof. "We could have started with that one and been done with it instead of walking all the way to Sweet Apple Acres before going back to where we started anyways!"

"Sorry, Rainbow," Spike said with a shrug. "Don't know what to tell ya."

Rainbow's ears were pulled back against her head in annoyance as she glared off at the town hall. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath and let out.

"Okay," she said in a calmer voice. "Before we head back to the center of town, is there any chance that the final task is closer to us now than the town hall?"

"Let's see..." Spike looked at the scroll, humming to himself as he scanned across it. His mouth fell open as his eyes went wide. Quick as he could, he started rolling the scroll back up.

"Nope. Not closer. No chance. Nothing to worry about. Come on. Race ya." With that, he started running toward the Town Hall as fast as he could.

He did not get very far before an aura of magic wrapped around Spike, lifting him up and levitating him back to where Rainbow Burst was still standing. Turning Spike to face her, Rainbow looked at him closely.

"What's going on?" she asked, noses nearly touching as they stared eye to eye. "What are you hiding?"

"Hiding?" Spike asked as innocently as possible. "What makes you think I'm hiding anything? What could I possibly be hiding?"

"Spike," Rainbow growled.

"Okay, okay," Spike conceded, raising up his claws. "You... remember that little cottage in the field we saw when we were trying to find Sweet Apple Acres?"

"..yeah..."

"Well..." The dragon shifted, tapping his first two fingers together. "It... seems that the cottage... might have been... where we were supposed to go to check on music..." He grinned, letting out a chuckle.

"What?" Rainbow squeaked, eyes going wide. "You mean we could have stopped and checked on music on our way to the farm?"

"...Yes."

Rainbow rolled her eyes and let out a sigh of annoyance. Her magic vanished, letting Spike drop to the ground.

"Whatever," she growled as she started to walk. "Come on. Let's take care of the decorations, then we can see if we can find that cottage... again.

"I seriously don't get why Celestia would set things up this way though."

Spike quickly got up and brushed himself off. He sprinted to catch up with Rainbow before walking along beside her.

"Maybe it was intentional. She did say she wanted you to make friends. So maybe she set up the checklist for you to have to meet as many of the ponies as possible."

"Maybe..."

"Or," Spike continued, "it might just be about time. I mean the food would probably take the longest to work on today, and the music would just be doing final rehearsals. Right?"

"I suppose. Doesn't really matter now anyway." She started to grin. "Soon we'll be done with this all and have the rest of the night off to enjoy the celebration."

Feeling more excited at the prospect, Rainbow began to pick up her pace as she made her way toward the intended building. Admittedly, the town was kind of strange -- more so than she expected -- but everything seemed to be going fine for the set up. So they would have to walk back and forth a little more than expected. At least it was looking like everything was going as planned for the celebration, which was great since it was her first time supervising one. Granted, if things were slightly problematic, it would be all the more impressive for Rainbow to fix it, but there was also no risk of things becoming an absolute disaster either.

The two of them reached the open door to the town hall and looked inside. Ribbons were wrapped around columns and tied in bows. Great lengths of fabric were strung along the railing for the upper floors. Banners hung from flagpoles and down along the walls. A wide variety of flowers were used in various portions of the decor.

"Wow," Spike said as he stared up at it all. "Do you think they did all this today?"

"If they did," Rainbow replied, "they must have a small army of decorators with them or something." The pair continued to look at all the work done as they made their way further into the building.

"No," they heard a voice call out. "No. No. Not this one. Mm... maybe... Ah-ha! Perfect."

The voice belonged to white coated mare with long, curling, deep purple mane. She was surrounded by ribbons of various colors, including some that looked to be the same color. The mare currently had one in her hooves, working to tie it around one of the columns.

"Well I guess everything is fine here," Rainbow said as she watched the white mare for a moment. "Come on, Spike, let's-"

"Oh, my gracious!" The mare called out as she moved to stand in front of Rainbow and Spike. "What happened to your mane?"

"My mane?" Rainbow asked, blinking in confusion. She tilted her head from side to side and looked up, trying to get a good look at it. Nothing seemed different than the way it usually was. It was the same short, tousled mess of rainbow colored hair as always.

"Looks fine to me."

"Fine?" the mare squeaked, looking like she had just been slapped. "Fine? Darling, it is not... 'fine.' It is dreadful. It is atrocious. It is... it is... messy!"

"Hey!" Rainbow yelped as she suddenly found herself having the white mare pressing against her. Her ears pinned back and jaw clenched in annoyance. This was way too close for a strange pony to be to her for her comfort.

"Why look at it," the mare continued as she took a hold of the mane. "Such lovely colors. Bad enough it is..." she made a face "...short. It is all so tousled and unkempt." She froze and tensed, eyes going wide.

"Are... are those... knots?!" She let out a sigh. "Do you not brush your mane?"

"Of course I do," Rainbow snapped, turning to glare at the inappropriately intimate mare. The look she got in response was one of half-closed eyes and pursed lips, making it clear the statement was not believed. It made Rainbow give out a little cough as she finally looked away.

"Well... I... might -- might -- have forgotten a couple days here and there."

"This simply will not do," the white mare proclaimed, wrapping a foreleg around Rainbow's neck. "We have royalty visiting and having such a mess before the princess is unacceptable."

"Trust me," Rainbow started, "Princess Celestia isn't going to care if-"

"Up-bup-bup." the mare said, placing her hoof over Rainbow's mouth. "There is no need for you worry my dear. I am more than happy to help, and I know exactly what to do." She gave a wide smile. "We need to give you... a ... makeover."

Rainbow's eyes went wide as her ears pinned back and jaw fell open.

"M-m-m-makeover?" She took a step backwards.

"Absolutely." The white mare pressed against Rainbow firmly, pushing her toward the door. "Nothing to worry about. I know exactly what I'm doing. No need to thank me."

"No," Rainbow cried out as she tried to dig her hooves into the ground. "Stop." She continued to get pushed forward. "No." She looked around in desperation, seeing her sidekick.

"Spike! Help!"

"Don't forget about her tail," Spike called out to the pair as he followed after them, grinning.

"That's not what I meant!"