• Published 10th Jul 2014
  • 5,202 Views, 224 Comments

Rainbow Unicorn: Friendship is Magic - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A unicorn version of Rainbow Dash is sent to Ponyville

  • ...
3
 224
 5,202

Shattered

"No!" Rainbow Burst shouted. Her heart pounded in her chest as she got up, running for the shards.

"Rainbow!" one of the others shouted out, chasing after her.

Rainbow's eyes burned with tears as she reached the remains of one of the stones, picking them up.

Gone. The Elements of Harmony were gone. Their best chance of stopping Nightmare Moon and and saving Equestia, shattered into dust.

Rainbow felt a hoof on touch her gently on the shoulder, but did not move. She felt sick, tired, and empty. It was like she was holding the remains of her own heart in her hooves, like she was staring at what had once been her hopes and dreams.

"Oh my, oh my," Nightmare Moon chuckled out. "Such a disappointment. Whatever would dear Princess Celestia think?"

Princess Celestia. The ruler of Equestria and only pony who ever seemed to show any sort of faith in Rainbow. It had been Celestia who had seen potential in Rainbow, who had taken the unicorn as her personal student, and had given Rainbow the responsibility of making sure The Summer Sun Celebration was ready and went well.

It was a faith, a responsibility, that Rainbow felt she did not deserve.

She had failed. She had failed her teacher, her princess, Equestria, and her friends.

Something prickled at the back of her mind. Something she suddenly felt like was very important. Something Princess Celestia had told her. What was it?

"You... You leave her alone!"

There was a gasp of surprise from four of the ponies as Flowershy spoke up.

"Rainbow Burst is... is a nice, kind, pony. She is our friend and I will not let anypony pick on her you... you... bully."

Rainbow stared at her friend, jaw open in surprise.

Friend... kind...

"You dare!" Nightmare Moon roared out, stomping a hoof as her wings flared wide. Flowershy let out an eep of fear, cringing and pressing against Rainbow Burst.

"She's right," Applejack called out, moving forward. "Rainbow -- hay, all of us for that matter -- have been right scared, but still came all the way out here, even when it would have been easier to turn back. And I know there are times we all wanted to."

Honest... honesty...

Rainbow's head started to ache. It felt like she was just on the edge of something, like when she was about to figure out what she was missing in a spell and finally manage to make it work.

"She still came with us though," Twilight Comet added. "She still stayed by our side to stand up to you and help the princess."

Princess... friend... loyal...

"Considering that when you abducted Princess Celestia," Rarity said, "you also took away Rainbow's friend and teacher, I would say that she may have lost the most in the whole matter."

Loss... give... generous...

This was stupid. Celestia was missing, The Elements of Harmony were gone, and Equestria was cast into eternal night by an insane alicorn. Yet here were her... friends?...standing up for her, trying to comfort her. This was neither the time, nor the place. Although it probably did not matter since they would either destroyed by Nightmare Moon, or simply left here to try and get back to Ponyville with the way things currently were.

A foreleg wrapped around Rainbow's neck, knocking her out of her confused thoughts. She looked to find Pinkie Pie right beside her, a small smile on her face.

Smile... laugh...

"Even if we lose here, today," the pink unicorn stated, "we'll find away to make everything okay. Together, as friends."

Together...as... friends....

There are six Elements, the book had said, but only five are known.

Rainbow Burst looked at Pinkie Pie a moment longer.

Laughter.

She turned to Twilight Comet.

Loyalty.

Flowershy.

Kindness.

Applejack.

Honesty.

Rarity.

Generosity.

She gritted her teeth and closed her eyes, trying to think. She was so, so close. The answer was right in front of her. She was just missing one thing. What was it.

Together.... as friends....

*****

Rainbow Burst grinned as she ran around the room. She was an excited little filly. Not only had she just earned her cutie mark, she was to be the personal student of Princess Celestia.

"This is my room?" the filly asked excitedly. "I get to live here while you teach me all about magic?"

"Not entirely accurate," Celestia stated, causing the Rainbow to droop. "These will be your quarters, and the dragon's --"

"Spike."

" -- Spike's, when you both get older. I will be teaching you many things, including different types of magic. Mostly about the type that you will use and channel through your horn."

Rainbow dropped into a sitting position, staring up at the princess curiously.

"What other kind of magic is there?"

"Each of the races have their own type of magic," Celestia explained, "and we alicorns each seem to have our own special magical affinity as well. There is also a special magic in everypony. It is not one that can be used to cast spells, but allows them to do incredible, magical things all the same. That is the magic that comes from the heart."

On this last part, Celestia raised a hoof and placed it on her chest.

Rainbow stared at Celestia a moment, then looked down at her own chest.

"Does it hurt?" Rainbow asked. "How do you use it without tearing the heart out?"

Celestia's eyes went wide at the statement before bursting into laughter.

*****

Princess Celestia sat in the royal chariot, watching the thick, fluffy snow clouds beneath them. She took a deep breath, enjoying the feel of the winter evening air filling her lungs.

Celestia turned to look at Rainbow.

"Did you enjoy the play?"

"I guess so," Rainbow said, looking at the clouds below.

"Have you ever seen the Hearth's Warming play before?"

"No."

Celestia reached out with a wing, placing it on Rainbow's back.

"Is something the matter?" she asked.

"I don't know," Rainbow said with a sigh. "It's just... Why did any of that have to happen to begin with? If the three tribes had worked together from the beginning, none of that would have happened, right?"

Celestia smiled and ran a hoof through Rainbow's mane. The filly always seemed to have it so messy, despite numerous attempts to groom it.

"You are correct, my wise little pony. Had the three tribes been able to live in harmony from the beginning, none of the events would have happened to begin with, meaning Smart Cookie, Private Pansy, and Clover the Clever would never had needed to save themselves and their leaders."

Rainbow smile, feeling like she was getting great praise.

"However," Celestia continued, "that would also mean that there was no story to begin with, and also no Equestria. After all, it was the friendship created in that cave that allowed the tribes to get along and create the very kingdom we now know."

"Yeah..." Rainbow conceded, looking down.

"Besides, sometimes the most important lessons are the ones that need to be repeated the most so they can be the best remembered."

"Lesson?" Rainbow looked up at the princess curiously. "What lesson?"

"In this case," Celestia explained, "it would be the lesson that we are stronger and can accomplish more when we work together and get along, than if we were to fight with each other."

Rainbow thought about it a moment, then smiled as she gave a nod.

"Yeah," she agreed. "I guess we are. Well.... except you..."

"Even I rely on others and need assistance. Be it the officials that look over each town, the guards that help protect the ponies, or a little rainbow maned filly that sometimes makes me have to look at things a little differently than I'm used to."

Rainbow grinned, puffing up her chest at the compliment.

"On a mostly unrelated note," Celestia stated, "you are going to meet a pony with a connection to the play soon."

"I am?" Rainbow asked.

"You are." Celestia reached out with her wing again, pulling Rainbow against her. "A direct descendant of Princess Platinum herself, in fact, Prince Blueblood."

Rainbow let out a grin and chuckled.

"Hopefully he's more fun than his ancestor."

"Hopefully," Celestia agreed in a whisper.

*****

"Where are we going?" a teenage Rainbow Burst asked as they stepped out of the castle and onto the grounds.

"Not far," Celestia responded. "Simply to the guard training grounds."

"The training grounds?" Rainbow picked up her pace, moving to catch up with the princess and look at her curiously. "Why?"

"No one particular reason," Celestia responded. "I thought it might do you some good. A chance to see how the guard train and work, instead of merely seeing them standing while on duty. It may also encourage you to spend some time working out yourself. I don't think that you will be ready for the intensity of the guard training right away, but it would do you some good. Improve your body as well as your mind."

Rainbow's face scrunched up at Princess Celestia's statement, for various reasons. A part of it was ego. The claim that Rainbow Burst could not keep up with the guard training was insulting. Granted, it was more than likely true since she did not spend time on a hard workout routine. Still, she did spend time traveling all across the castle which was pretty massive.

Another part was curiosity. Encouragement of exercise aside, what was Princess Celestia hoping for Rainbow to learn? What lesson was she supposed to take from this all?

Admittedly, she was also curious to see the training as well. The guards were pretty good at keeping a serious and stern look when standing at a post, they also seem to be in really good shape (she had -- through no fault of her own that she would admit -- seen how quickly they could respond to a situation). It would be interesting to see what they do.

There was also a little bit of pride. It was the way she always felt whenever Princess Celestia actively showed an interest in her, which was practically during any lesson. The idea that the princess cared about her and how she was doing always gave her a nice feeling.

"There they are," Celestia announced as they reached the edge of the training ground.

Rainbow's eyes went wide as she stared, taking it all in. There were dozens of ponies, most of them pegasi, moving in formation. She could see them marching in formation, in full armor. There were some that were practicing with weapons. Others were working on making their way through obstacle courses. A small number of the unicorn guards were busy with spells, where one would cast an offensive spell while another used a defensive one to protect themselves.

"Quite impressive, is it not?" Celestia asked.

Rainbow just nodded.

"Even after all these years," the princess continued, "it always amazes me to watch them. Such a wonderful reminder of what ponies can accomplish when they work together."

"Really?" Rainbow asked, turning to look at Princess Celestia curiously. "How? I mean, it doesn't really look like they're working together to me."

"But they are." Celestia reached out a wing, wrapping it around Rainbow. "More importantly, by going through the training -- the hardships -- together, they are building common bonds and comradery, allowing them to trust in and rely on each other in more dangerous and dire situations."

The princess then turned her attention toward one of the guards.

"Excuse me," she called out. "Could you come here, please."

The guard in question gave a flap of his wings, flying off the training field and landing in front of the Celestia and Rainbow. He gave a deep bow.

"What is your name?" Celestia asked.

"Corporal Shining Armor, ma'am," the guard responded, saluting as he stood at attention.

"At ease, Corporal." She smiled at the guard as he relaxed. "Now, if you would be so kind, please give my student -- Rainbow Burst -- a tour and explanation, I would appreciate it."

"I will do my best, Princess," Shining Armor stated before turning to Rainbow. "If you'll please come with me."

Rainbow Burst gave one last look at Princess Celestia. Receiving a nod, she got up and started to follow after the pegasus guard.

*****

"That's it!" Rainbow Burst shouted, eyes going wide. "That's it! That's it! That's it!"

She grabbed the others, holding them tightly. A big grin spread across her face as she held onto them.

"What's it?" Pinkie asked, pulling her muzzle out of Rainbow's coat.

"Yes," Nightmare Moon said as she moved closer. "What, pray tell, suddenly has you in such an enthusiastic mood?"

"I finally get it," Rainbow Burst proclaimed. "I finally understand."

"Understand?" Twilight asked in confusion. "Understand what?"

"The Elements. The Elements of Harmony aren't just some magical stones. They are traits found in us. Traits that we embody."

"What are you talking about darling?" Rarity asked.

"Think about it."

Rainbow Burst grabbed Twilight Comet.

"When Twilight saved me from falling off the cliff, she said she would never abandon her friends in their time of need. A fact she proved when she didn't even consider whatever it was that she was offered while repairing the bridge. She's shown that she represents The Element of Loyalty."

Several of the shards shot up from the ground and flew toward the ponies. Rainbow let out a yelp, jumping out of the way. Instead of hitting any of the ponies, they shards circled around Twilight's neck.

"What the hay?" Applejack shouted, looking at their friend and the strange glow encompassing her.

"Oh, oh," Pinkie Pie called out as she bounced over to Rainbow. "Keep going, keep going."

She grabbed the rainbow maned unicorn and set her next to Flowershy.

"Her next. Her next."

Rainbow looked at Pinkie in confusion a moment before turning her timid friend.

"Flowershy stopped us from fighting a manticore, and helped it out when it was hurting. She has shown how powerful a little kindness can be."

More of the remnants from the shattered spheres floated up from the ground and flew toward the ponies. This time the flew toward Flowershy, encompassing her as they did Twilight.

"Now do me," Pinkie nearly shouted, grinning.

Rainbow looked at her and chuckled.

"You are totally obvious," Rainbow said, poking Pinkie in the nose. "Normally hyper and grinning. You made those trees look so silly none of us could take them seriously. You are the bouncing embodiment of Laughter."

Pinkie Pie let out a squeal of excitement as shards started to float around her own neck as well.

"When we came across the serpent that was distraught over what happened to its mustache," Rainbow continued, "Rarity not only was the one that sympathized with him, but sacrificed her own tail which she clearly put so much care into it. She gave up something that meant a lot to her, showing The Element of Generosity."

Same as with the others, stone shards began to float and encircle Rarity.

"When I admitted my doubts and wanted to give up," Rainbow said as she turned to Applejack, "you not only talked some sense into me to keep going, but admitted that you yourself was as scared as I was. You were willing to be honest and show your own fears in this situation."

"Now wait-" Applejack started, but stopped as she was encompassed by the glowing shards.

"So you see?" Rainbow shouted as she turned to face Nightmare Moon. "The Elements are still here."

Nightmare Moon stared wide-eyed at the five floating mares. Her eyes then slowly narrowed as a smirk spread across her face.

"Well, that's nice and all," Nightmare Moon stated, "but your forgetting one thing: there are six Elements of Harmony. You are still missing one." She let out a chuckle.

"Wrong!"

"What?"

"See," Rainbow Burst stated as she stepped forward, "I finally realized something that Princess Celestia had been telling me. We are better when we work together."

She looked back to the other five, smiling.

"Alone, none of us would have been able to make it here. It was because we worked together and trusted one another -- helped one another -- that we were able to make it to the castle. It wasn't one of us that made it here, it was all of us. We are stronger when we are together. We can do more, when we are together. We are friends."

She turned and glared at Nightmare Moon.

"And as friends, we can do anything, because friendship is magic."

A bright white light filled the room as a sixth stone appeared and headed for Rainbow Burst. As it touched her, the floating shards around the others shifted, pressing against them. The light shifted and separated, each of the six mares encompassed by a different color. It then shot up from the group, meeting in the air above them to create a rainbow before heading directly toward Nightmare Moon.

The black alicorn gave out one last cry of horror before she was engulfed.