• Published 10th Jul 2014
  • 5,198 Views, 224 Comments

Rainbow Unicorn: Friendship is Magic - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



A unicorn version of Rainbow Dash is sent to Ponyville

  • ...
3
 224
 5,198

Ever and Everfree

Rainbow Burst led the way as they walked through The Everfree Forest. It had not been an actual decision she or the others had actively seemed to made. It just sort of happened. She had no problem with it though.

Immediately behind her walked Applejack, wings pulled close as she looked at the plants surrounding them. Next was Flowershy and Rarity, with the first hiding behind her mane as she kept close to the second. Bringing up the rear was Pinkie Pie, who seemed to hop and bounce more than walk. Above the group flew Twilight Comet, moving back and forth along the line repeatedly as she studied the area around them.

"So, how come nopony comes out here?" Rainbow asked as they continued walking.

"You mean aside from the fact that there are all sorts of strange plants?" Applejack asked

"And a lot of creatures," Flowershy added.

"The place is utterly filthy," Rarity stated.

"The weather is uncontrollable and unpredictable," Twilight said.

"This whole place is all so sad gloomy boring dull that only the biggest bestest most amazingly awesomest party ever to even ever hope to make better," Pinkie rambled.

Rainbow blinked as she looked away from the group and ahead once more.

"It just..." she started as she looked around at the place once again, "...doesn't seem tha-"

Before she could finish, Pinkie Pie had shot up beside her and placed a hoof over Rainbow's mouth.

"Do not finish that statement."

Rainbow glared at Pinkie a moment before shoving the hoof away.

"What's the big deal?" she growled. "I was just saying that it doesn't see-"

Once again, a hoof was pressed against her mouth, stopping her statement.

"Whenever a pony says something like that," Pinkie explained, "they tempt fate and end up making things get worse."

"Pinkie," Twilight said as she landed beside the mare in question, "nothing a pony says is going to change what happens. You're just being silly."

Pinkie's eyes went wide and she suddenly skittered to her right. There was a moment of confusion among the others at the strange action (none of them had ever seen Pinkie skitter before). Before any of them could ask what she was doing or why, there was a massive boom as the ground gave away beneath them.

Instinctively, Applejack and Twilight opened their wings as soon as they lost their footing.

"AJ, you go after Shy and Rarity," Twilight ordered before flying down herself.

Applejack scowled at Twilight for bossing her around, but did as she was told. Quick as she could, she flew down toward where the two earth ponies were scrambling at the side of the slope. After moving down below them, Applejack started flying up toward the two, skimming just above the ground.

Grabbing the first of the ponies to reach her -- Rarity -- Applejack gave a hard flap of her wings and pushed up along the slope with all her might. She let out a grunt as she held on, stopping Rarity from falling any further.

"Hang on," Applejack said. "This'll hurt."

Rarity looked up at Applejack, raising an eyebrow. Before she could ask what would hurt, something slammed into her and knocked the air from her lungs.

"I got ya," Applejack called out, grabbing onto Flowershy as well. Holding onto the pair tightly, she continued to flap her wings and push up the slope. The angle was too much to push them back up, but Applejack was able to stop the two from sliding further. Slowly, she stopped flapping.

"Okay. I think we can make our way down safely to the edge. Then I can lower you two down to the ground."

When the ground had collapsed, Rainbow Burst had been in the front and thus the first to start falling. It hurt when she slammed her back into the ground and started to slide across it. The pain and need to gasp for air made it hard to think.

Scrabbling to grab a hold of anything to stop her fall, she tried to focus and summon her magic, to use a spell of some kind to stop her. Unfortunately, the pain of the fall, panic of the situation, and constantly jostling as she skidded across the ground all made it difficult to concentrate.

Not able to grab anything, Rainbow slid off an edge. There was a moment of weightlessness as the ground beneath her vanished, leaving nothing but open air. Normally, this would be an exciting sensation that Rainbow would savor as she felt like she was flying.

As it was, only one thought was currently going through her mind.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'mgonnadie!I'mgonnadie!I'mgonnadie!


Gravity quickly reasserted itself on the unicorn, pulling her toward the ground once more. Rainbow continued to try and figure out a way to save herself. With most of her mind distracted by the previously mentioned thought, her body tried to do the only thing that she could think of at the moment.

Alas, desperately flapping her front legs neither slowed down her fall, nor allowed her to suddenly fly.

"I got you," a voice called out from beside Rainbow. There was a jerking sensation as something grabbed her, slowing her free fall into a controlled descent.

As the panic subsided, Rainbow opened her eyes (when did she close them?) and looked up. There, she saw a familiar, friendly, purple furred face. Twilight looked at her with a calm, reassuring (and possibly condescending) smile as she continued to float Rainbow to the ground.

Twilight set Rainbow down on the ground and took off again to help Applejack with Flowershy and Rarity. Rainbow's leg shook before collapsing beneath her. Her heart felt like it was about to burst from her chest, and she just could not get enough air to breathe.

What the buck was she doing out here? This was insane. Rainbow had barely even been out of Canterlot before. Now she was planning on taking on an ancient evil alicorn that somehow defeated Princess Celestia and did who knows what with her?

A part of her that she did not want to admit to -- a large part of her in fact -- thought that maybe Blueblood was right. She was just some lazy screw-up that happen to be good at magic. That last part was worthless, seeing as she was so panicked she could not even think of a spell to save her tail. What was she going to do? Dump a bucket of water on Nightmare Moon's head? Try to give her a hot foot with her fire beam?

Her thoughts were interrupted by a burst of pink magic, followed by the sound of a noisemaker being blown and a small explosion of confetti. In the center of the spot now stood Pinkie Pie.

"Are you okay?" Pinkie asked, taking a step forward.

No! I'm not okay! I'm in over my head and terrified. I want to go home and pretend this all never happened.

"Yeah," Rainbow said, looking down at the ground. "I'm fine." She pushed up, moving to stand again.

Twilight and Applejack landed down not far from them, setting down Rarity and Flowershy in the process.

"Well it looks like everypony is alright," Applejack said as she looked at the others. "Should probably keep movin'."

The others agreed and the group began moving once more. As they did, Rainbow moved to get beside Twilight Comet, reaching out to get the pegasus' attention.

"Hey. Thanks for saving me back there."

"Don't worry about it," Twilight said with a smile. "Even if we weren't friends, I'll always help out a pony in need." She wrapped a wing around Rainbow. "Since we are friends though, you can be sure that I will always be there for you."

Rainbow smiled. That made her feel a little better.

Still... did she deserve it?