• Published 11th Jul 2014
  • 5,844 Views, 299 Comments

No Elements, No Harmony - Fret



Twilight, Celestia and Luna are transported into another dimension where things are different... yet so similar.

  • ...
13
 299
 5,844

Rare Knowledge

Twilight looked right and left before taking a step into the open. "No sign of them," she confirmed, prompting her friends to follow her. Fluttershy stood on one side, and Applejack the other. The farm pony then leaned over to the alicorn.

"Err... finding Rainbow means we're goin' to Cloudsdale, right?"

Twilight gave her a nod.

"Then where am I gonna stay while you two are up there?" She tilted her head. The violet mare paused. She tapped her chin, thinking of some way Applejack could possibly come with them.

“Well… I do know a spell that can allow wingless ponies to walk on clouds,” Twilight suggested. Her friend suddenly gave a concerned look.

“Err… walk on clouds? Is that safe?”

“I’m sure we could stop you from falling off the edge.” The alicorn gave a chuckle. However, Applejack still seemed uncertain.

"I reckon I’d rather pay Pinkamena a visit, just to let her catch up."

“...That would be a wise suggestion. It’s a good idea to keep everypony up to date.” She turned her head to Fluttershy. "Anyway, I think we better get going."

The pegasus nodded, spreading her wings. Twilight did the same, and the two took off into the air. As they flew higher into the sky, she couldn't help but notice the increasing number of clouds surrounding them. She licked her dry lips.

"...Is it possible to drink from clouds?"

Fluttershy raised a brow. "Well... they are water... um, may I ask why?"

"I'm just thirsty. I can wait though." She told her, trying to blank the images of water out of her mind and continued onward in the direction of Cloudsdale. She began to scan the ground below her, once again spotting the worn out village that would be Ponyville in her world. It was then that something occurred to her.

"Fluttershy... does your village have a name?" she asked. The pegasus blinked and followed her gaze to the ground below them, before shaking her head.

"It's just a place for us to work and grow food, there's no reason to name it." She shrugged.

"Oh..." Twilight's ears drooped. "Well... in my world, it's called Ponyville."

"Ponyville?" Fluttershy echoed. "How do you know it's the same village?"

"Because..." She held her gaze. "It's in the exact same place, and the exact same ponies live there. Well... aside from Rainbow Dash, who I'm assuming lives in Cloudsdale."

At first, the yellow mare didn't answer, too focused on flying forward. But then she swung her head towards her again. "Wait... you know a Rainbow Dash in your world?"

Twilight tensed. "Uh... yeah." She nodded. "I know all of you..."

Fluttershy tilted her head. "Personally?"

"Mhmm..."

"...Oh," the pegasus mused, her attention seemingly fading. The rest of the flight was silent, with the pace of time going even slower. It was a relief when the large white city came into view.

With a bit of flapping Twilight and Fluttershy passed the last few clouds and landed on the soft floor, and began to canter through the city of clouds. Just like her last visit, pegasi were flying in rows, bands around their hooves, focused intently on what lay in front of them. Then it struck her.

"I'm surprised none of them noticed I have wings and a horn," the princess realized.

"I'm not. Even if they did notice you, they're not allowed to fly out of order. I don't think they're even allowed to glance to the side." She explained. Twilight bit her lip as they walked, eyes glued to the distant pony silhouettes.

Soon enough, the two ponies made it to the same place they had visited before, and began looking for the blue pegasus. Unfortunately, she wasn’t in the same spot as last time.

"She isn't here," Twilight sighed.

"I know," Fluttershy replied.

"Where did you expect she'd—" Before the alicorn could finish, a hoof prodded her shoulder. She swung her head around, meeting familiar magenta eyes.

"Hasn't been long since I last saw you two," Rainbow Dash commented. "What's up?"

Twilight turned her whole body around to face her. "Hello Rainbow," she began. "Before we take action in saving Equestria, I need to find one more pony."

"Uh-huh..." The cyan mare rubbed a hoof on her chest.

"Fluttershy told me you might know where to find her."

"Name her."

"Rarity. Do you know her?"

That's when Rainbow froze. She stared at her, then at Fluttershy, who prompted her to answer with a head motion. The blue pegasus held Twilight's gaze again, then dragged her answer out.

"I... know... of her." She pursed her lips.

"Great!" A grin spread across Twilight's face. "Do you know where she'd be right now?"

"Well... yeah..." The pegasus blinked. "But I can’t tell you. There's a reason why nopony knows what she does."

"I don't belong here, so it won't matter to me. And I'm sure it has something to do with the queens, so after we're through with them, it won't apply to anypony, whatever it is," she assured her. "So please, Rainbow, take me to her."

Rainbow Dash stared into the distance, then sighed. "Alright, I'll take you. But you can't freak, okay?" Two nods in response. "Good." She trotted to the edge of the clouds. "I'm guessing we're going straight there, then?"

Twilight shook her head. "I need to pick up two more ponies from the ground, but then we can go straight there. Is that alright?"

The pegasus nodded. "Hey... um... Do I know these ponies?" She trotted up to Twilight's side who was on the edge of the clouds with her wings spread, along with Fluttershy, who kept her mouth shut.

"I don't think so," the alicorn replied. "But you will soon enough, so let's go."

---

Luna lay on the cold floor, her head resting on crossed hooves. Nothing had been said after Applejack had left to find Pinkamena, for there was nothing that anyone could think to say. There was an occasional sigh between the three of them, but that was the only sound Luna could count.

There was a rustling sound, and then the feeling of feathers brushing against her side. From the corner of her eye, the blue alicorn watched her sister sit down next to her.

"You've been silent," Celestia began. Luna gave a shrug.

"We all have," she grunted.

"You especially, I mean." The older mare nudged her with her hoof. "And I’ve been meaning to ask you, sister, what's wrong?"

Her soothing tone didn't help anything. "Why do you care?" Luna huffed. "Why should you care?"

Celestia was taken back by this. "You're my sister. How can I not?"

The dark mare snorted. "Everything would be better if I hadn’t come here."

Her sister blinked at her. "Don't say that, Luna! You know that isn't true-"

Luna covered her mouth with her wing. "Don't say that. Everypony says that." She stood up on her hooves and began to drag herself towards the cave's exit. Celestia lifted herself onto her hooves, but she didn't follow her.

"Luna...Where are you going?"

"Just... outside," she sighed, her head drooping. Celestia stood helplessly in one place, her staring blankly at her hooves. After her little sister had turned the corner, out of sight, Discord slithered next to the older alicorn.

"Not going to do anything?" He pouted.

"Some situations are best left alone. For the moment, at least." She pulled her gaze up from the ground looking toward the troubled draconequus. "Luna's impossible when she's like this. She needs time to think things through." She sat down, and watched as Discord floated in front of her.

"You act like this happens often," he mused.

"It does."

He raised a brow. "Then why do you go through the same motions over and over?"

Celestia blinked. "Explain?"

"Well, if this has happened before, then maybe you shouldn't treat it the same way each time." He gave a shrug. "Better to fully heal than to cover up now, isn't it?"

The mare looked away. "If only it was that easy." She mused.

The sound of hooves broke the two out of their thoughts. They both turned their heads to the entrance, spotting two familiar earth ponies.

"Um... where is everypony?" The pink mare asked.

"I think I saw them flying over here while I was outside," Applejack replied. "We'll just wait here."

"Hello, Applejack, Pinkie Pie," Celestia greeted. While the orange farm pony nodded back politely, Pinkamena just snorted.

"Don't call me that," she snarled.

"Oh... my apologies..." The alicorn avoided eye contact with the mare. Despite her not being as close to Twilight's friends as she was, it was rather sad to see them in this state.

"Wait... where's your sister?" Applejack glanced around the cave.

"...She went to sit outside," Celestia told her. "Did you not see her?"

The mare shook her head, putting her on edge.

"I'll be back, I just need to check on her."

As she began to trot towards the cave entrance, three more ponies landed on the ground. Relief flooded her as she saw Twilight safe once again.

"Hi, Princess." She smiled. "Where are you going?"

Celestia breathed out. "Luna's still a bit... off. I just want to check on her."

The smaller mare tilted her head and raised a brow. "Where is she?"

"Outside."

"I didn't see her."

"I'm sure she's out there..." With that, the Princess left them. Twilight turned her attention back to her friends.

"So... maybe I should introduce you all to each other." She grinned, however the four ponies didn't give any reaction. She sighed, "Well, you might as well, we're all going to be travelling together from now on."

Next to her, Rainbow Dash screwed up her muzzle. "Er... no offense Twilight, but you've gathered some real... odd ponies for a rebellion."

The alicorn gave a slight chuckle at this. "I'm aware."

"Hey, who’re you calling odd!" Pinkamena protested.

"Uh...In a good way." Twilight added, allowing the mare to relax. But the blue pegasus’ attention was no longer focused on the ponies, but rather to the chaotic-looking creature sitting on the other side of the cave.

"You never said he was gonna be here." She squinted. "In fact, scratch that, how did he even―" A mouthful of feathers cut her off mid-sentence.

"Long story. All we're doing is wasting time, we can chat while we're finding Rarity." She removed her wing from Rainbow's mouth and settled it back to her side. She then nodded at her, prompting the pegasus to lead the way out of the cave. Twilight stood back so that she could watch the ponies follow her on, and waited until she was the last one standing in the cave. But someone interrupted her as she went to follow them.

"Twilight?"

She turned around, locking eyes with Discord.

"Yes?"

He stood up on his hind legs. "Would it be okay if I... tagged along?"

She blinked at him. "Why would you want to do that?"

He gave a shrug. "Celestia told me about my counterpart's... relationship with you and your friends." His ears drooped slightly, "And he sounds a lot happier than me..."

Twilight gave a smile. "As long as Celestia's okay with it, I don't see why not." She paused outside, turning toward where Celestia had disappeared. "Celestia? Is it alright if Discord comes with us?"

There was a long pause, and then, "Yes, go!"

Discord grinned. "Thank you, Twilight." He floated in the air above her so he could get in front. "I do appreciate it."

They began to follow after her friends. "It's fine."

------

Later, the five ponies and draconequus ventured through a ditch in rugged territory. Dust rose up from the ground with each weary step. Barren rocks towered above them, threatening to topple down onto them.

Twilight knew exactly why the ditch was uneven.

"I know this place..." she murmured, mostly to herself.

Rainbow Dash turned. "Uhh... nopony ever comes here. It's kinda forbidden."

"Not in my world. I've only been here a few times, the last time being just over a year ago."

The pegasus raised a brow, and seemed like she was about to continue the conversation, however a clang on the ground behind some rocks up ahead turned all heads.

"What was that?!" Fluttershy gasped.

Rainbow Dash was unfazed."That was Rarity."

The six of them wasted no time hesitating, and began to gallop toward the sounds. Eventually coming to a stop behind a large boulder. Craning their heads, everyone could easily spot the white shape marching along the dirt covered ground. Every now and then, she stopped, and scraped her hoof at the ground. Though after about five scoops of dirt, she'd carry on.

"Stay here," Rainbow whispered, before revealing herself to the unicorn. "Rarity!"

The mare looked up from her work. Her words were a little hard to figure out from the distance. "Rainbow Dash." An impatient snort could be heard. "What is it now? I have done everything you ordered me to. What else could the queens possibly need?"

"...Nothing. I'm not here to give you orders. Not now."

This caused the unicorn to pause. "Then why are you here?"

The pegasus said nothing, just turned back to them. They understood this as a signal to come out from hiding. Twilight was the first to step out in the open, followed by Applejack, Fluttershy, and finally, Pinkamena. Discord, however, stayed behind. Understandably as well… it was abundantly clear the others didn't trust him very much.

The unicorn blinked, confused. "Rainbow Dash, why did you bring other ponies here? These lands are forbidden."

"Then why are you two allowed here?" Twilight asked.

Rarity glanced at her. Twilight, now being closer to her, had noticed the state of her mane - it resembled nothing of her counterpart. It was tangled and was not at all gleaming - instead dry and covered in dust. It wasn't in the same style either, instead it hung low, some split ends curling while others straightened.

"How do you not know that..."she trailed off, eyes sweeping over the violet mare. "Wha... You're a..."

"An Alicorn Princess? Yes, I am," Twilight completed her sentence.

Rarity's mouth quivered a moment, before she slipped into a deep bow. The alicorn just let out a groan of frustration, which raised the unicorn's curiosity. Twilight just held out a hoof for the mare to grab onto, so she could pull herself up. She did so, also bringing the chipped and mud stained hooves to Twilight's attention.

"I'm sorry but... I'm very confused," Rarity said. Rainbow Dash stepped forward again.

"This is Twilight. She er... needs you."

The white mare tilted her head. "Needs me? My only job is finding gems..."

"Yeah, we - I know," she corrected herself. "But Twilight doesn't work for the queens... she's not even from here, as far as we know."

Rarity peeked over the pegasus' shoulder. "Why have you got so many ponies?"

"Because," Twilight began. "We're going against the queens. And we need you."

----------

"Celestia? Is it alright if Discord comes with us?" The alicorn with the blazing mane heard a voice. The mare in her grip struggled to get free, a metal chain wrapped tightly around her horn, suppressing any magical sparks before they could escape. The fiery mare chuckled at the sight, pleased by how weak her victim was.

The white mare widened her eyes, and struggled all the more to break out of the other mare’s grasp. It was only when she finally kicked the other pony in the stomach that her enemy’s grip weakened.

“Yes, go!” she called. She began to order Twilight to run, but was quickly interrupted.

"Oh shut up..." The fiery alicorn muttered, stuffing her hoof in her counterpart's face.

"You can tell I don't miss her old ways," a midnight black alicorn remarked, a smirk spreading across her face, as she swept her horn toward the now powerless Princess Celestia .

"Liar!" a smaller, blue mare accused. "Thou art just jealous!"

The Nightmare cackled. "Jealous of what? Tell me, Lulu, what do you have?"

Luna glared into the cat-like eyes. "Everything. Everything thou-” She shook her head, a metal chain similar to Celestia’s rattling upon her horn and body before correcting herself, “-you. I mean everything you are fighting for, but you can't win," she hissed through her teeth.

"And what about her?" Nightmare Moon dipped her head toward Celestia, still chained, and pinned by Solar Flare.

Celestia scrunched up her muzzle. "I have my sister back. That's all I need." She lifted her eyes to Solar Flare. "I understand why you sided with her, but it's doing more harm than good. All you really want is to be with her."

Solar Flare’s eyes blazed, then she gave a snort. "Silence! We will focus on the problem at hoof... we're missing a draconequus."

The white alicorn blinked. "I can see that."

"We need him back."

"You want him back."

The blazing mare narrowed her flaring eyes. "Why would I want that demon?"

"Why would you keep that 'demon'?" Celestia scoffed.

"Both of you, zip it," Nightmare Moon scolded. "We can leave the chimera alone for now. I want to know why you lot are here, and what you're planning."

Luna rolled her eyes. "You will get nothing."

Her counterpart snickered. "Then neither will the poor... innocent ponies out there."

Celestia raised a brow. "What do you mean by that...?"

Nightmare glanced at her sister, who was also grinning menacingly. "They'll get no light."

Author's Note:

Reasons why this chapter took so long:
Writing block
Christmas
I'm lazy

Better late than never... right?

/shot/