• Published 11th Jul 2014
  • 5,845 Views, 299 Comments

No Elements, No Harmony - Fret



Twilight, Celestia and Luna are transported into another dimension where things are different... yet so similar.

  • ...
13
 299
 5,845

Introduction

Books fell around Luna as she stuffed her hoof in between them one the shelves. The book she was looking for, however, wasn't here. Nor was anything relating to the genre she wanted.

"How does this place not have it?" she muttered, frustrated. Another one was again tossed to the ground. "Hopeless..."

Eventually she gave up, and let her wings carry her back to the ground. After giving a sigh, the alicorn looked up, then gasped as she realized how much of a mess the room was.

"I'm surprised nopony even heard me," she commented, before focusing on every book out of its place so she could lift each of them up with her magic. Once she did, the books dashed into a random space on the shelves. Luna didn't care that they weren't in order, no one even came in here anymore, she could tell.

Maybe there's a book that can still help me...

The Princess walked towards the open doorway that led to her reading room. Just in case, Luna had decided the bring her old journal back to the castle before coming here. Good thing too - she didn't have to go all the way back to the cave to fetch it.

"Ugh..." she groaned as her search failed once again. The last page in the journal was just the entry made by her own counterpart. Strangely enough - her eyes started to read it again without her permission. Each word angered her all the more, to the point where she let out a screech, and ripped the page out with her magic.

"Stupid me! Stupid, tyrannical, evil me!" Luna yelled. She opened her mouth again to speak again, but another voice interrupted her.

"Hey! Who's in here?"

"...Celestia?" Luna responded.

"What? Who... who said that? Discord?!"

The Night Princess' heart dropped as she realized her mistake. That wasn't Celestia... no matter what the voice.

Her panic grew with each hoofstep that echoed in the large room. She thought fast... a black cloak may not be convincing enough. Yet, nothing appeared in her mind.

Stupid me...

---

"So, what do you say Pinkamena?" Twilight held a hoof out. "Are you with us?"

The flat maned pony stood in silence as she stared at the purple hoof before her. She hesitated for a while, then spoke.

"I... I don't know. I don't get how I can do anything to help... all this!" she used her own hoof to present the broken and wrecked worked around the three of them. "And why won't you just tell me? Tell me why I'm special... there's no need to keep me waiting!" She grabbed hold of Twilight's head and pulled it closer. "Or are you lying?"

The lavender alicorn pulled away and shook her head. "Of course not. I'd never make a lie like that!" she denied, "I can promise you, promise you both, you're the only ones who can stop the Queens!" she gave a sigh, "I assure you of that... "Cross my heart and hope to fly..." As she did the motions with her body, Pinkamena seemed to faintly copy them, with her eyes wide.

"...Stick a cupcake in my eye..." she rasped. "How... how do you know what a Pinkie Promise is?"

Twilight smiled. "Because I know you.... and that sounds really creepy doesn't it?" she turned to Applejack and cringed.

"I'm on the same page as Pinkie though... how'd you know anything 'bout us? Let alone our own foalhood."

I'm going to have to tell them, aren't I? Twilight thought to herself and sighed out loud. But what if it isn't a good idea to tell them now? Ugh... I need another opinion...

That's when she thought of something.

"Okay, before I tell you, I need to confirm something. But I gotta go somewhere in particular to do so... Pinkamena, and even Applejack for that matter, are you both coming?"

Applejack's response was almost immediate. "'Course I am, sugarcube," she grinned. It warmed Twilight's heart to see her green eyes sparkle with the same feeling her well counterpart always had.

She then turned to Pinkamena.

"Well?"

The mare looked at her hooves, looking thick with uncertainty.

"Err... how long will we be?" she asked.

Twilight just shrugged. "Not that long, I just need to ask somepony something, then we can come back here."

Pinkamena tapped her chin and let out a faint 'errm....'. Then,

"Okay then."

"Great!" Twilight literally bounced up in the air.

"So uhh... where exactly are we goin'?" Applejack leaned forward. Twilight then paused.

"Oh... err..." she wasn't sure how to start, "well, first we're gonna go through the Everfree Forest, and then we'll stop just before the gorge next to the castle..." she told them nervously.

"What?!" Pinkamena screeched, "They'll spot us you idiot! Or... or are you trying to lead me into a trap?"

"No! Pinkamena, I Pinkie Swore!"

The mare raised a brow. "Hmph, well, if you do happen to break it, I'll find a way that'll torture you... forever." The last word was rasped, and was even more terrifying than the actual happy Pinkie doing it. This was a threat more than a reminder.

"Point taken..." Twilight whimpered, "And you can just wait in a hiding place, and I'll be back. You can stay here, but I think it would be more convincing if I showed you the pony I need to go to."

The two eventually nodded, to her relief.

"Okay, follow me."

---

"...And that's why you're friends with Fluttershy," Celestia finished. Though, despite her efforts, he still gave her a smug look.

"I'll believe it when I see it," he muttered. The Princess just smirked to herself.

"And I don't believe you'll have to."

She picked up the quill again, which was actually a feather from her own wing, and continued to write out ideas to stop her counterpart and her sister. Once she finished writing one or two sentences, she picked up the book to read over it clearly.

"Okay... so I could learn how to actually banish someone to the moon without any Elements of Harmony..."

"That is ridiculous," Discord muttered.

"Ugh... I know," Celestia sighed, dropping the book on the floor again. "You're the one with the wits. Help me."

Discord floated over to her until they were face to face. "Surprisingly enough, I haven't thought of anything either."

The two sat, staring at the page full of crossed out words and scribbles. They stayed like that, until a voice called out.

"Celestia?"

The alicorn looked up towards the cave entrance, and saw that Twilight was standing there. She stood up, and trotted over to her.

"Twilight! I didn't expect to see you back to early. Did you unite your friends already?"

She shook her head. "I need your help. So far, I've managed to find Applejack and Pinkie Pie. Applejack's agreed to help me, but Pinkie Pie isn't so sure...."

Celestia tilted her head. "I thought Pinkie Pie was the Element of Laughter. Why-"

"She's not exactly our Pinkie," she quickly explained, scratching the back of her head. "Err... you'd have to meet her to understand completely," she turned her head towards the top of the gorge, "anyway, she doesn't know whether to trust me. They know I know things that they wouldn't think I'd know. For all I know, I've creeped them out."

"Why would they be creeped out?"

"I didn't tell them I'm from another world and that I'm best friends with their counterparts," Twilight answered, not needing to think for more than a second to know what her mentor meant.

"Oh. Wait, why?"

"That's why I'm here," the younger alicorn said, "I'm wondering whether to tell them now, or wait until I've gathered everyone."

Celestia remained confused. "Why wouldn't you tell them now? I'm not saying you should - I need to hear your reasons first."

"Well, if I tell them what they can do in the other world, I'm afraid they'll think that they can... I guess... 'Rainbow Power' up without thinking. If I don't tell them until the end, they'll be actual friends - not just blindly following me because I unite the spark."

There was a small silence between them as they both thought of what to say next. Then it was Celestia who finally answered,

"They're your friends, it's your choice."

And her answer made Twilight let out a small groan of annoyance. Celestia raised a brow.

"No offence Celestia, but I'm not your student anymore. You don't have to be so subtle with me."

"I told you!" Discord called from inside the cave, who then floated out into moonlight.

"Oh shut up..." Celestia muttered to him, "anyway... yes, Twilight, I'm not your mentor anymore. Which is why I can't make the choice for you. They're your friends, not mine. What do you think would be best for your friendship?"

Twilight looked up at her, then breathed out.

"Made your decision?"

She nodde. "I won't tell them about the Elements. It may interfere with their trust. However, I'd like to introduce them to you," she looked up at the gorge again and grinned, "they're up there."

The two alicorns flew up to the top, and met two scared looking mares.

"Gah!" Applejack gasped as she noticed the larger alicorn show up. "...Oh. I thought for a second you were Queen Solar Flare..."

"I can see why," Celestia chuckled. Though, she looked rather surprised at the state of them. Applejack was thin and ruffled, with bags hanging under her eyes, and Pinkie was a dull colour with a straight and dirty mane with cracked hooves.

"So who's this?" Pinkamena tilted her head to the older princess.

"This is my teacher and mentor- well, was my teacher and mentor, Princess Celestia. I've graduated from being her student, if you're confused," Twilight began, "we also have another one - Celestia's sister, Princess Luna. Err... where is she?" she looked at Celestia.

"She's in the castle, finding more information about our counterparts," she looked rather concerned, but she didn't sound it.

"Err... what does she mean by 'counterparts?" Applejack asked.

"Time to give you some of our back story..." Twilight took a breath.

---

What do I do? What do I do? Luna's heart raced faster. I'll get us all discovered, we'll fail this world, and we'll never get home!

She looked around drastically for somewhere to hide, but she couldn't think of anything fast enough. So, out of hope, she leaped forward against the wall that was next to the doorway, so that if Solar Flare looked in, she wouldn't see her.

"Hmm..." she heard her say, her hoofsteps getting all the more louder with each heart beat. Luna got to the point where she was holding her breath, she didn't want to make a sound. Horror filled her as she watched the fiery figure slowly move into the room, glancing around with her flaring eyes.

"I know somepony's in here, I heard you."

...Forget the mission, I have to get out of here!

Luna's horn started to glow as she got prepared to vision her destination, but just as she was about to disappear-

"UGH!"

A strong force pressed her against the wall. Her eyes struggled to open, and terror struck her as she saw Solar Flare holding her in place with her hoof. Luna tried again to teleport, but the hoof on her neck was choking her too much to focus.

"Who are you?" the queen sneered, moving her muzzle closer. Luna knew if she revealed her voice, it would all be over. She stayed silent.

"Don't ignore me!"

The princess turned her head away, so that the light given off from Solar Flare wouldn't reach her face. But that one action angered her all the more. The hood's collar started glowing, and she was pulled even closer to her alternate sister's face.

"Tell me your name or I'll kill you on the spot."

The threat finally made Luna speak.

"I shouldn't think I'd need to."

Solar Flare's eyes narrowed, and she tilted her head. The comment made her loosen her grip on her throat, allowing Luna to reach up to her hood. Slowly, the blue alicorn revealed her face, and she watched as the fiery alicorn's eyes widened to a point where Luna thought wasn't possible. But she kept her formal tone, and said,

"Hello, sister."

Author's Note:

It didn't take Luna very long to ruin the plan did it?

No really. One chapter. That's an academy record!