• Published 13th Sep 2014
  • 2,603 Views, 80 Comments

Mind Over Mane-Iac - Darkryt Orbinautz



Rainbow Dash, Power Pony alias "Zapp," lives to save the day and keep citizens free from tyranny. But when she unknowingly falls for one of her arch-enemies, can she salvage the situation? Or will her divided loyalties cost her everything?

Comments ( 21 )

F*** DARING DO.

I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to see the original Power Ponies. I kept expecting them to show up but they never did.

My god...this was an amazing chapter. also. BUCK YOU DARING DO!!!! I WILL MURDER YOU!!! but yay! I love the ending!

Honestly, I'd love to RP something like this....with my OC being the hero who falls for the Maneiac.

if somepony is interested in this idea of an RP where an anthro version of this is done, (my OC, falling for Maneiac) please, PM me.

6226938
You're seriously promoting that here, dude. As for the story, I liked it. I want a sequel.

6227632 Promoting what a desire to RP? yes. cause I do that. and I also want a sequal!

6227632
6227642
To Both Of You:
You're not getting a sequel anytime soon, I'll say that much.

To Reddened Chaos:
Also, please take any requests for roleplaying to either your own page, or private messaging to individuals. The comments section is not the place for that.

6227664 Well, I'm certainly eager to see a sequal...and sorry, I'm just eager to try and RP my own variation of this story...
(tis a comic book, easy to change things right?)

6227671

Apology accepted.

And yes, it is quite easy to change things.

Still not the place for it though. :moustache:

6227694 ya. I know. still, with this sort of thing (comic book background) it's easy as heck to change the story, or even simple things like rather than Maneiac falling in love with Rainbow, It's actually somepony else like an OC.

Overall I think I liked the concept a lot more than the execution. Kind of felt like both the plot and the characters' personalities got out of hand. Many times they'd make unrealistic (even for comics) decisions, or poorly articulate why they were doing things. The romance in particular never felt intense enough to justify all the stuff they did.

While the premise was my idea, I can happily say that you executed the story far better than I ever could hope to Darkryt! Everyone felt in-character, the situations and emotional moments felt believable, and you truly made it feel like I was reading a comic, kudos to you!

I don't usually like Power Ponies stories. This one though, THIS ONE! I could wax poetic on and on about everything that went right, from the comic book style narration, to Daring Do, the reveals, the expertly sappy-but-not-too-sappy romance just... EVERYTHING! And struggle for hours to find a single thing I dislike. Every part of this was gold, from the start to the end, and I salute you for this.

Take my like and my fav, you glorious bastard.

Right, so, taking this as a whole, as a story, this is a good story, I loved it. Loved the narration, loved the drama, loved the whole thing, and while the MC aspect was zig-zagged, it wound up falling into a good place.

The dark, hypnofan in me wanted to see more control, but the writer in me appreciated the story.

6232113
Yeah ... as I was writing later chapters, I was wishing I would have made room for more direct mind control and more intimate scenes.

6232469
Yes.

Great story despite the spelling and grammar errors (you should really fix those) in this and other chapters. Definitely going to favorite this.

Just finished reading this from start to finish. I liked it in general, but the focus definitely reflects someone who was writing more on the fly than from a set idea. Something given focus then forgotten afterwards, or introduced then swiftly removed. Though unintentional, I will say that gives the impression of multiple writers with their own visions, which kinda makes it work for this story.

There is one thing in particular I take issue with, though, and that's how Twilight (I'm going to stick with the character names for simplicity's sake) gets off scot-free for her actions, and the sheer hypocrisy of it all. Rainbow Dash defects, and Twilight gets so angry that the next time they see here, she puts both Rainbow Dash and the Mane-iac in a deathtrap situation so lethal that it'd probably do a 90's villain proud. When she realizes she's done this, she simply shrugs and goes "Live and learn". And then she sics Saddle Rager on the pair, knowing there's a good chance it will result in their death.

At least Rainbow Dash stuck to the more cartoonish villainy of the setting, and did it for love. Basically, sticking to the unspoken "rules of heroes vs. villains". Twilight breaks those just as bad as Daring Do does, and absolutely nobody calls her on it. She gets off completely scot-free; no "you are just like me" speech from Daring Do, no "What the hey! I can't believe you tried to kill me!" reaction at any point from Rainbow Dash, no suggestion of anger management classes from anyone.

6233326 Well, you can still put the "more mind control"-stuff in the "What if?"-story you said you've planned.

I loved the comic book ending. In that "if you don't see them dead then they aren't dead." And the memory loss from extreme trauma is classic. This was quite the enjoyable ride.

Great resolution to a great story.

Maybe someday we will see a sequel?

(Now if you'll excuse me, I will not go cry myself to sleep. That wouldn't be very manly... :raritycry: )

Login or register to comment