• Published 5th Aug 2014
  • 11,267 Views, 451 Comments

CoH (Book One) : Of Magic and Masquerades - Diespitris



It is up to Twilight Sparkle to find a way to protect the Crystal Empire on her own. Yet, when its former king offers her a helping hoof, she has two choices: befriend him, or reveal him. Despite her choice, there will be consequences to face.

  • ...
27
 451
 11,267

Chapter Four : Missives

Well done, my faithful student.

Princess Celestia smiled, looking towards the brilliant lights that now flowed elegantly amongst the clouds in the coming dusk. The parchment that levitated before her muzzle was carefully rolled up, then placed to the side as she made her way to one of the windows. She didn't need the letter to tell her that Twilight succeeded in providing the protection that the Crystal Empire so desperately needed after its absence, but it still warmed her heart to read the unicorn's hastily-scribed words.

Not only would her student move onto the next level of her studies, but the crystal ponies would be guided into their brighter futures by a strong, kind prince and loving princess.

It had been a long time since Celestia felt such a vivid sense of pride. All she could do was smile as she watched the dancing colors above, even as her younger sister pulled her moon into the sky alongside them. She must have lost track of the minutes that passed, though, for she soon heard the large doors of the throne room gently swing open. She witnessed Luna's entrance just as she turned her head to look. “Good evening, Sister,” she said.

“Sister,” replied Luna with a nod. Smiling, she trotted up beside her sibling as she eyed the letter that set next on one of the throne's golden arms. “News from Twilight Sparkle?”

Chuckling, Celestia motioned towards the lights with the wave of a hoof. “Is it not clear, Luna?”

“All of Equestria can see them, dear sister, but it would be kind of you to humor me with a straight answer every once in a while. It's been a long day.”

“Fair enough. Yes, Twilight sent the letter and the news is good. She found a way to protect the empire, and its inhabitants will now look to Shining Armor and Cadance for guidance.”

“Thank you. I am overjoyed to hear that.” Sighing, she sat on her haunches—her gaze drifting to the star-speckled sky. “What shall we do now?” she inquired. “What's next for Twilight Sparkle, Celestia?”

The Sun Princess took a seat on the floor next to her. She said nothing for a few seconds as she looked upon the gardens below. She then inhaled deeply, tearing her gaze from the crooked statue of Discord. “Well, she and her friends will be staying in the Crystal Empire for the week, so I'm content to let them enjoy their vacation before all else,” she replied. “I also plan on sending a little extra security their way, just in case. The empire will need the extra bit of aid for the time being, until their own guard is back in shape. I think I shall send Lieutenant Stronghold and his unit, they're—”

“—busy elsewhere, Sister.”

Her brow furrowing, Celestia tilted her head towards the other alicorn. “'Busy elsewhere?'”

“They're in Trottingham, remember?”

“Oh.” Her response was a reflex. Yet, upon further contemplation, the reason dawned on her. Her eyes widened. “Oh!” she breathed. “The robbery.”

“The fifth robbery this week! The first occurred in downtown Manehattan. Then a shop in Hollow Shades was targeted, then one in Fillydelphia, then Baltimare, and now Trottingham. ”

“Really? How much merchandise did the thief steal?”

“Not a lot.” Luna tapped a hoof against her chin. “I recall that the scoundrel made off with only a few small items that didn't amount to much, which is peculiar. The shops hit are all located in cities along the east coast and all of them sell either antiques or enchanted wares. Well, except the most recent establishment, Latigo's House of Curiosities, which I believe is a small museum.” She shook her head tiredly. “I can't make heads or tails of it, Sister. Why would a pony go through so much trouble, only to make off with so very little?”

Celestia couldn't contain an amused giggle. “Do not let petty theft trouble you, Luna,” she said. “No matter what the criminal's intentions, I'm sure that Stronghold will figure it out. In the meantime, I'll send Lieutenant Flash Sentry in his place. He and his unit are not 'busy elsewhere,' are they?”

Luna playfully rolled her eyes. “They are free to send them wherever you wish,” she replied. “I'm sure they'll be grateful for the opportunity to get out of Canterlot, even if it's only for a short time.”

A small smile tugged at the corner of the Sun Princess's mouth as she cast a glance at one of the tables that set next to her throne. The length of her horn glowed with a golden aura as she levitated a fresh sheet of parchment, an inkwell, and a quill to her. “Excellent,” she said. “I'll let Twilight know of their arrival.” She cautiously dipped the tip of the phoenix feather into the pitch-black ink, and then the chamber drifted into silence as she began to write.

Author's Note:

I apologize for the short length of this chapter. I just wanted to give everyone a taste of what's to come.