• Published 5th Aug 2014
  • 11,274 Views, 451 Comments

CoH (Book One) : Of Magic and Masquerades - Diespitris



It is up to Twilight Sparkle to find a way to protect the Crystal Empire on her own. Yet, when its former king offers her a helping hoof, she has two choices: befriend him, or reveal him. Despite her choice, there will be consequences to face.

  • ...
27
 451
 11,274

Chapter Twenty-One : Upon the Reflection of Certain Mistakes

Twilight was not happy. Extensive search of her vocabulary failed to bring forth proper terms to describe just how unhappy she felt. It was a feeling far from rage, she discerned, and it didn't take her long to pick out the myriad of emotions welling within her. Confusion, as when she was rudely awakened to find both the sun and moon hanging in the sky at the same time, meddled with horror and disbelief when she was told of the Royal Sisters' capture. She told herself Sombra was mistaken, then.

Surely, the power of two alicorns rivaled that of a single borrowed power? Yet, there was no denying the proof set before her eyes. The divine duo of celestial bodies had the sky split into gradients of night and day.

She didn't know she was shaking—her artifical appearance as Beryl Prose fluctuating—as she stopped pacing to face her friend. “That's fine!” she blurted. There was a high-pitched strain to her voice. “Nothing's changed, right?”

Sombra frowned. “Twilight...”

“So what if you just told me that Trixie was able to overpower not one, but both Princesses all on her own with no trouble at all? I can still beat her, right?”

“Twilight.”

In a blink of light, she stood before him—their noses nearly touching. “What does it matter if the Princesses can't perform their duties?” she questioned in a single breath. Her left eye twitched. “Equestria won't fall into absolute chaos if they're missing for a day, right?!”

Sombra gently grabbed her by the shoulders. “Twilight!” he snapped. A pang of guilt poked him in the heart when she flinched, and so he lowered his voice. “Twilight, everything will be fine. You're right. The plan hasn't changed.” He glanced over his shoulder. “Now, listen to me. Ponies are already scrambling about to put the finishing touches on the ball. You have a few hours to prepare yourself and you have to focus. Do you understand?”

Taking a shaky breath, she nodded. Of course she understood, she just didn't like any of it. “It's just,” she whispered, “not fair, Sombra.” It felt as though everything had gone horribly wrong all over again. It was one thing to rescue a whole empire, but it was another to have the entirety of Equestria suddenly at stake. It felt hopeless.

Then, the stallion hugged her. It wasn't an energetic “happy-to-see-you-on-this-super-fantastical-day” hug like the ones Pinkie gave, nor was it a commonly-friendly hug like the ones given by the rest of her friends. This one made her heart skip a beat, and she instantaneously leaned against Sombra's strong frame. Comfort seemed like such a fleeting thing over the past days. She could never put how much it was appreciated into words.

Yet, it wasn't meant to last and it was an act of serendipity for them to mutually pull away from the embrace. “Thank you,” the mare said, a smile on her face.

Sombra smiled, too. “Make no mention of it, my friend.”

“And you'll... you'll be around, just in case, right?”

“Yes.” Again, he touched her shoulder. “No matter what happens, I promise you I'll be there.” Of course, he fully intended to keep that promise. He came too far to let the mare fight the battle alone, even if he had to reveal his return to the crystal ponies... with the Princesses of the Sun and Moon present. He owed Twilight that much, and so much more, for the second chance she so graciously gave to him.


~*~*~*~*~*~


Trixie was interrupted out of her peaceful slumber by frantic knocking and shouting at her chamber door. Bitterly, she took her time answering it, as it was the first time and days she was truly comfortable. It seemed duty called out to her, however, and she reluctantly rose to open the door—revealing a disheveled Shining Armor. “Queen Trixie!” he exclaimed, bowing. “Please, forgive me, but something terrible has happened!”

She rubbed the sleep from her eyes. “What is it, guardstallion?” she inquired.

He pointed a shaky hoof at the nearest window. “Just look, Your Highness!”

“... Okay.” She didn't know what he was on about, but she went to the window nonetheless. She didn't know what the big deal was, for the sky rested in pleasant shades of blue and purple. It was beautiful, especially with the sun and moon— She blinked. Then, she rubbed her eyes, but when she looked once more she only blinked a second time. The process repeated itself until there was no denying what she saw any longer. “What in Equestria is going on?!” she screamed. She spun to glare at Shining Armor, like he somehow possessed the answer. “It's morning, isn't it?! Why is the moon out, too?!”

The stallion stared silently at her—his eyes betraying his bewilderment as they rapidly looked between Trixie and the end of the hallway. “Uh, Your Majesty...?”

… Oh.

… Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

“Cheese and crackers!” she yelped. In a mass of frantically-scrambling limbs, she sped down the corridor like her flank was on fire. No, no, no! What have I done?!

She'd gone too far, she was certain of it, and panic completely enveloped her every sense. All subjects were ignored—many of whom had questions regarding the outside anomaly. However, no number of greetings or bows would deter her from the palace dungeons.


~*~*~*~*~*~


I can't believe this is happening. With a disgruntled groan, Princess Luna dragged her hooves down her face as she shot a venomous glare at her sister. “This is positively unacceptable,” she snapped.

Across the way, her sister opened a single eye to regard her. “You're not wrong, Luna.”

The younger sister scowled. Oh, how she wanted to lash out and blame Celestia's weakness for their capture. Only, that wasn't fair. Despite all their planning, they were both equally guilty of lacking focus. It doomed them from the moment they passed into the Crystal Empire, just like Trixie's perimeter spell. Luna never took into account the stage performer's knowledge of advanced spells—spells she never would've been able to cast without the Alicorn Amulet.

She had forgotten the artifact's terrifying might. Starswirl, you old fool. What would you say about your amulet if you were here? You always took great pride in your creations. Surely, you would boast.

… She snorted. No, you wouldn't. You knew what you were doing when you crafted the Alicorn Amulet—knew its purpose.

Her head hung low, and she heard her sister sigh. “What are you thinking about, Luna?” she asked.

Luna's answer was immediate and sarcastic. “I'm contemplating how we ended up being imprisoned by a mere show pony.”

Celestia, of course, was unamused. “We waited too long, as well.” She paused. “Not that it was unwise to plan ahead, mind you.” Unfortunately, in this rare case, waiting was detrimental to their possible success, as the Alicorn Amulet's hold over Trixie had only strengthened in that time.

“We have to figure out how to get out of here, Tia!” Luna braced her front hooves against the bars of her cell. “Princess Cadance will soon crown her Queen!”

“I know.”

With so much power at her hooves, there was no telling how the coronation would further embolden the magician. Absolute power corrupted absolutely, as it had done to the Crystal Empire's former tyrant. Celestia was wrong to assume the same thing wouldn't happen with Trixie, and now both she and her sister were literally powerless to stop it. She hadn't felt so... useless since her short-lived fight against Queen Chrysalis. She faced the changeling head-on, hoping to defend what was supposed to be the beginning of her beloved niece's new life as a happily-married mare. Instead, the queen's enhanced magic overpowered her almost instantly.

She just didn't want to make the same mistake with Trixie. She wanted to believe the unicorn wasn't too far gone—that she hadn't yet completely fallen to the influence of the Alicorn Amulet. Again, she was proven wrong. Not only had she accepted the item's dark embrace, but she was actually quite proficient in its usage. Were there not so many lives at stake, the Princess of the Sun would have admired her capabilities. But, surely, she knows not what she does, she thought, squeezing her eyes shut. It's the amulet. Oh, Starswirl, what possessed you to leave it behind?

It was ultimately her fault, she knew, for not keeping herself open to the possibility it was still out there—silently waiting for somepony to rescue it from a dusty shelf. It was her belief Starswirl had taken his dark creation to his grave.

Sighing, she smiled softly at Luna. “Do not lose hope, my sister,” she said. “Twilight is still out there, and may yet succeed where we failed.”

“And how is she to know of our fate, Tia?” the younger retorted. “Even if she knew, in what manner would she be able to stop Trixie when we could not? She may be your student, but she is no—”

The Royal Sisters' heads turned towards the disruptive and thunderous sound of the dungeons' heavy door being thrown open. To their surprise, the sound heralded the rapid approach of the last pony they expected to see. Trixie skidded to a halt between their adjacent cells, her eyes flashing crimson. “Trixie,” she panted. “Trixie may have... may have made a slight error.”

Princess Celestia masked herself in an air of placid unawareness. “Why, whatever do you mean?” she asked.

“'Slight error?'” sneered Luna. “I hope you're referring to your assault against the Elements of Harmony, unlawful mind-manipulation, and banishment of Celestia's—”

Enough!” Trixie stomped a hoof. “It has come to Queen Trixie's attention that... that she failed to take the natural order of things into account when she sealed your magic.” She cleared her throat. “She... wishes to make some form of arrangement to correct said error.”

Princess Celestia arched a brow. “Now you wish to speak of arrangements?”

The magician glared at her. “She has half a mind to unbind your magic, so be grateful! Queen Trixie can't have the whole of Equestria in a panic over you two! Trixie desires to be Queen! She does not desire chaos!” She didn't, either, especially if there was anypony out there who knew of the Princesses' whereabouts. Her biggest fear was that there was a army gathering in Canterlot as she spoke—that she was on the edge of single-hoofedly stirring up a full-blown war. “Look,” she added, “I'll move you out of the dungeons into a more comfortable, but magic-bound, room.” She rubbed her eyes with the back of a hoof. “I... Trixie can't let the sun and moon remain unattended. Ponies have already noticed something is wrong!”

Celestia knew a chance when it presented itself, and she jumped to claim it. “If you let us have our magic back, you have my word we won't try to escape—enchanted room or not.”

“What?” The unicorn's eyes widened, as though she didn't believe her ears. “Do you really mean it?”

She nodded. “Yes. Truly, you are generous for taking the overall good of Equestria into account and it is greatly appreciated.”

Obviously, Trixie basked in the praise. “Thank you!” she exclaimed, puffing out her chest.

Princess Luna rolled her eyes, then she leered at her sister. “What are you doing?” she mouthed.

To her annoyance, Celestia smiled and silently replied, “Trust me,” as her attention returned to the magician. “Please allow us to continue our dominions over the sun and moon, and our fates will remain yours even after your coronation.”

Trixie nodded. “Yes, yes! I'll have you relocated at once!”

Luna grunted in irritation as her form was once again wrapped in unbreakable chains. As was Celestia's, before Trixie's magic finally opened their cell doors. They, fortunately, had room to walk as they cautiously stepped into the corridor. “Follow Queen Trixie!” ordered the unicorn, flipping her unbrushed mane. “She knows exactly where to place you!”

The Royal Sisters exchanged uncertain glances, but they followed nonetheless. It wasn't long before Trixie was far enough ahead of them for them to have a quiet conversation. “What in the name of harmony are you playing at, Tia?” demanded Luna.

Eyes set straight ahead, the taller alicorn frowned. “Well, I was successful in having us removed from the dungeons, if that's what you mean.”

“You wasted the chance to bargain for the release of the remaining Elements, and your niece and nephew. On top of that, you just threw away the chance for us to make our escape.” She gritted her teeth. “What were you thinking?”

No amount of pandering would convince Trixie to release Princess Cadance and, unfortunately, she admittedly took what she could get. “One thing at a time, Luna,” she gently scolded. “Besides, only I gave my word we wouldn't attempt to escape. You did not.”

Luna found the comment startling. “Pardon?” she gasped softly. It seemed as though it was her turn to be incredulous.

“You heard me.” Celestia's frown reversed into a playful grin. “Consider it my apology for earlier.”

The Princess of the Night suppressed a snicker. “Just when I thought you had fallen into predictability, Tia,” she muttered. “Apology accepted.”

Author's Note:

It's the final countdown~