• Published 5th Aug 2014
  • 11,270 Views, 451 Comments

CoH (Book One) : Of Magic and Masquerades - Diespitris



It is up to Twilight Sparkle to find a way to protect the Crystal Empire on her own. Yet, when its former king offers her a helping hoof, she has two choices: befriend him, or reveal him. Despite her choice, there will be consequences to face.

  • ...
27
 451
 11,270

Chapter Twelve : The Meeting

Applejack adjusted her hat as she cautiously entered the small chamber where her friends awaited her. It wasn't easy to sneak through the heavily-guarded corridors, but she managed well enough. She hoped the others did as well. Since “Queen” Trixie condemned her to work as part of the kitchen staff, there was no way for her to know how the others were doing and, needless to say, she was anxious to see them. “Rainbow Dash?” she called out in a hush voice. “Rarity? Spike? Y'all here?”

A candle suddenly lit up in the center of the room—illuminating the very friends she hoped to see. “We're here, darling,” replied Rarity. “Come sit with us.”

Smiling, the earth pony approached the small group. “I hope y'all had a better day than I did,” she said, taking a seat next to Rainbow Dash. “Trixie's been workin' me to the bone in the palace kitchen!”

The pegasus scowled, “At least you're not a living target for the guards!” She rolled her shoulders, causing her wings to twitch in agitation. Though Trixie was “kind” enough to return them, she didn't return her magic—leaving her grounded. “Honestly, those guys pack a punch. I'm sore all over!”

“Same here,” commented Rarity. “The only break I had today was for lunch, and that's it! First, Trixie wanted new banners and rugs for the palace, then she wanted a coronation dress, and now she wants me to construct a set of regalia for her to wear! Regalia! How in the world am I supposed to manage all of that?”

Twiddling his claws, Spike gave her the biggest smile he could muster. “I'm sure you'll think of something, Rarity!” he exclaimed. “You always do!” He giggled as his encouragement was then rewarded with a quick hug from the gorgeous unicorn.

“What about you, Spike?” inquired Applejack. “Where'd you end up?”

The dragon's smile fell. “Ugh... I was 'placed under Cadance's watch' as a maid.” His cheeks turned red. “She's making me wear the dress and everything...”

Rainbow Dash snickered; the mental image was too funny. “Oh, man, that stinks!” she laughed. “And I thought I had it bad!”

Applejack shot her a glare. “Quiet, sugarcube!” she hissed.

Though she was still quite amused by Spike's situation, she made an attempt to calm herself. She cleared her throat. “Sorry,” she replied as softly as possible.

“What we need to do right now is figure out how we're gonna get ourselves out of this mess.”

“It'll be difficult to pull anything off,” said Rarity. “There's only four of us, after all. Everypony else is under Trixie's spell! Even if we somehow managed to get out of the palace, her magical force field will tell her if we try to leave the Crystal Empire.”

“Then, we need to last until Twilight comes back with help!” replied Spike. “She has to be on her way to Canterlot as we speak!”

“Do you think we found her way to the train station in that blizzard?”

“I know she did! You guys know Twilight well enough to know that she would never let us down. She's going to do everything she can to save us!” And she will save us, too! Ugh, I wish Trixie didn't disable my fire-breath, or I'd be able to get a letter to the Princesses!

Sighing, Applejack tipped back her hat. “We wouldn't need savin' if we hadn't acted like foals durin' Trixie's show back in Ponyville.”

Rarity's ears flattened. “Yes,” she whispered. “I suppose we did bring this upon ourselves...”

Their pegasus comrade gave them such an incredulous glare that they could've sworn her eye twitched. “Seriously?” she asked quietly, her voice carrying an angry undertone. “Are you guys seriously saying that we asked for this?”

“Well,” replied Rarity, “we were the only ones who spoke out against Trixie's show. If I remember correctly, everypony else seemed to enjoy it.”

Applejack nodded. “Yep, we acted pretty rotten. We could've just gone about our days and waited for her to leave town—”

“—but we stayed, heckled her for no good reason, and ultimately ruined her life.”

“Eeyup.”

Once again, Spike twiddled his thumbs. “No kidding,” he said under his breath. He was glad to hear that he wasn't the only one who regretted his actions. He was, after all, one of the ones who wagered against the magician, so much so that he tried pressuring Twilight into the rowdy mix. “Sometimes,” he continued, “I forget that everypony pays attention to national heroes such as ourselves.” That was what really ended Trixie's career. The Elements of Harmony made her out to be a villain, and the false information spread like wildfire throughout Equestria, leaving her without work—without her destined purpose in life.

Rainbow Dash, however, had a hard time digesting what she heard. “And what about the crystal ponies, huh?” she whispered harshly. “Did they ask for this to happen? What about Princess Cadance, or Shining Armor? Pinkie Pie? Fluttershy? Twilight!?

Eyes widening, Applejack quickly retorted, “Whoa, hold on now! We ain't sayin' she's in the right for what she's done!”

Rarity was also taken aback by the accusation. “Yes, just because three mares made a horrendous mistake doesn't mean Trixie has the right to enslave an entire empire!”

Nevertheless, Rainbow Dash's fur and feathers bristled, and she was quiet for a few seconds. Then, “I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I-I just...” She squeezed her eyes shut. “This really sucks!”

Applejack placed a hoof on her shoulder. “I know, sugarcube, I know. Just hang in there.”

Spike latched onto one of her forelegs, while Rarity closed in to give her a comforting nuzzle. “Don't fret, darling,” said the unicorn. “We'll make it through this. Trixie may have taken our freedom and placed a nasty mind-control spell on a few of our friends, but we still have each other!”

As much as she despised such cheesy comments, the rainbow-maned mare cracked a miniscule smile. Perhaps their situation wasn't as hopeless as she believed after all. “Yeah,” she chuckled tiredly, rubbing her left shoulder. “Yeah, we got each other.” Granted, everything seemed bleak and awful and just plain bad, but it wasn't completely hopeless.