• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 3,066 Views, 455 Comments

Vocaloid in Equestria: beta session - DerpyStarlet



Me and my brother got sucked into our computer and now I'm Rin and my brother's Len in the Vocaloid group.

  • ...
21
 455
 3,066

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15: Sticking Around

I was led by the royal couple through several levels of the Crystal Palace. So. Many. Freakin’. STAIRS!! Damn you, Sombra, damn you and your stair fetish. By the time we actually reached the dining room, I was more than ready to go back to bed… with the problem being that the only bed I knew of was about ten stories down the most screwed up staircases to ever exist. I’m pretty sure Sombra actually brought M. C. Escher’s Relativity to life down there. After dragging myself into one of the seats, both ponies smiling at my exhaustion, several maids and servants brought out a massive breakfast spread. There was waffles, french toast, fruit cups, bagels, and muffins. There’s always muffins, heh.

I grabbed a little bit of everything, filling my plate within a few seconds. With everything I wanted in front of me, I dug in with fervor, relishing in the taste. I don’t care how those chefs made food this good, but I don’t think I could ever go on without it again. I swallowed my food and sighed contently. “Where have you been all my life?”

Cadance giggled at me, while Shining just smirked. “I take it that you enjoyed your breakfast?”

“Oh big time! Thank you very much, Princess.”

“Please, Kaito. We’re all friends here, you may call me Cadance.”

I bowed my head slightly. “Thank you for your trust, Cadance.” I turn to Shining and put on a winning smirk. “What say you, Prince Armor?”

He snorted, clearly amused. “You have a lot of nerve thinking you can get past me just like that. Then again, you really don’t seem like much of a threat.”

“Not sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult, so I’ll just assume it’s a complisult.”

“A what?”

“A complisult. You complisulted me, good sir. It’s a little word I came up with when you’re complimenting someone, yet also criticizing them.”

“It rolls of the tongue rather… weirdly,” Cadance said.

I shrugged. “I’m weird, figured that went without saying. Some even say I’m insane, and I tend to believe them.”
Shining raised an eyebrow. “Insane? Should I put you in a mental hospital? Or get a shrink?”

I waved off his concern. “Nah, I’m perfectly capable of performing like anyone else. I refer to it as ‘sanity through insanity’. It’s that point in craziness where you actually know you’re crazy. That’s where the fun begins!”

Shining looked even more confused than before, making me feel a little more smug, though I was smart enough not to show it. “... I’m just gonna stop asking before I hurt my head. You are about as bad as my sister’s friend, Pinkie Pie, you know that?”

“Pinkie Pie… I believe I have heard of that mare.” Duh, what fan hasn’t, but they didn’t know that.

Cadance nodded. “Quite possible, she does have a reputation in several places outside of Ponyville.”

“Where is it that you come from anyway?”

That was the million bit question, wasn’t it. There were many different paths I could take at this moment. Amnesia? Nah, that could unravel badly. Truth? Eenope, that would be way too hard to explain. Make something up and lie without actually lying? Right now, that’s my best bet. “I hail from a land far away from here, where people like me are free to do as we please, so long as we do not harm our fellows. I doubt you would of heard of it, let alone seen it.”

“Actually, you remind me of those creatures my sister-in-law told us of after she went through a special portal. Are you human, by chance?”

Okay, so that gives me a good reference point. Definitely at least during season four here, I hope. “My race is indeed called humans, but I am quite sure that this portal that you speak of wouldn’t be my home.”

“How would you know that?”

“If a pony had come to some strange new world, wouldn’t it be all over the news? Plus, I’ve heard of both of you as well as others, so how could I be from that world?”

Shining seemed to think on that for a moment, before nodding. “...yes, you do have a point there, Kaito.”

“Alright! Now, can I ask a question?”

“Go right ahead Kaito,” Cadance said with a smile.

“...What happens now?”

“Huh?” they both asked, very confused.

“What do you do with me now? You said I’m not a prisoner anymore, but I highly doubt that you’ll just let me walk into your kingdom, or empire I suppose. “

“Well, we were going to help you get back home,” Cadance said with small smile. “Unless, of course… you’d rather stay?”
I looked at her in honest shock and then over to Shining who was simply stoic through the whole conversation. “...I have a choice?”

“Of course,” she nodded. “I would never force you to stay here, we would be more than willing--.”

“No, I meant that I actually can stay if I wanted to?”

My question seemed to surprise both of them. We stayed in silence for a moment before Shining spoke again. “Y-you don’t want to go home?”

“What about your friends? Family?”

I had to stop on that. It was selfish to think that I could just turn my back on my world and all the people on it. Well, I guess I’m just a greedy bastard because that’s what I’m doing. “I will miss them, but… this is a dream come true for me. I’m actually meeting royalty, something very few back home can say, and both of you seem like good friends. Better ones than some others I have the ‘pleasure’ of meeting. My family has always wanted me to be happy and, well, I think I can be here. So, with your permission Cadance, I would like to make a home here in the Crystal Empire. Is that alright?”

Cadance looked me over for several moments, probably running through every possible event that could happen with me here. I inwardly grin thinking of things that could happen with me here. Oh the shenanigans. “...You’re sure?”

I nod slowly and confidently. “Yes, Cadance, I am quite sure.”

Cadance smiled warmly at me, and I notice that Shining is smiling, too. “Then allow me to be the first to welcome you to your new home. It may be some time before you acquire your own living arrangements, so until then you are much welcome to stay here in the palace.”

I couldn’t believe my ears. “I’m a citizen, just like that?”

“Just like that!”

I smiled bigger than I ever have and then leaned back in my seat, arms folded behind my head. I looked all around me, admiring everything in the room; from the crystalline ceiling, to the crystalline walls, nothing shining the same exact color. It was beauty beyond human imagination and to think, some punk like me gets to see everyday for the rest of his life. Yep, screw Earth, I’m staying here. I stood up from the table, still smiling. “If you will excuse me, Cadance, Shining. I need a moment.”

“There’s a small sanctuary a few doors down on your left,” Shining told me as I’m walking out. I nodded towards him in thanks. Taking his word, I moved down the hall, opening one of the many crystal doors to find myself in a massive dome-like room. There were many holes in the ceiling, allowing in natural light and the sounds of nature. It was perfect. I moved to the center of the room and sat Indian style. I sat like that and closed my eyes, focusing on the sounds around me, taking in deep, yet fulfilling breaths. Meditation was a personal hobby of mine, allowing me to enjoy everything around me to the fullest and it always seemed to be good motivation for me. So, I just sat there, enjoying the peace and quiet.

I don’t know how long I sat there, but it must have been a while. I heard the door to the sanctuary open and I opened my left eye slightly to see Shining Armor coming toward me. I reclosed the eye and smiled a little. “Hello, Shining. What brings you here?”

“...I was just checking on you. You’ve been here for about three hours, Kaito. How are you doing that?”

With my eyes still closed, I raised an eyebrow. “Doing what?”

“How are you balancing on your guitar like that?”

“Huh?!” My eyes shot open and I looked down. True to Shining’s word, I was actually on top of my guitar. My blue instrument stood tall, balanced perfectly still on it’s little peg stand, me sitting right at the very top on the head. I just stared blankly at the guitar, having no idea what was going on. I looked back to Shining, still utterly confused. “What the what?”

“No idea?”

I shook my head. “None whatsoever.”

“Hmm,” Shining started to move around me, analyzing the situation at hand (hoof?). He stops behind me for some reason. “Why is that there?”

“Why is what where?”

“There seems to be a sword hilt on the back of your instrument.”

“...Huh?”

“Let me see if…” I heard him bite down on something and then began to pull. A moment later, a sound I only heard in movies rang out in the silence of the sanctuary: the *shing* of a metal sword being removed from its scabbard. I turned my head slightly around and what I saw made my eyes widen beyond what I thought possible. Despite all possiblities, Shining Armor just pulled a freaking katana out of the back of my guitar. “Just as I thought, a single-edge sword concealed in a magical scabbard.” He began to examine the sword like an expert, to which I was beginning to think he was. “Perfect condition, never used, sharper than anything I’ve ever held. This was crafted by an expert.” He looked up to me with an expression of being impressed. “Where did you get such a magnificent sword, Kaito?”

“I, honestly, have no idea what that’s doing in there. I didn’t even have a guitar before I woke up, so your guess is as good as mine. I will agree that the sword is very beautiful.” True it was. The metal shined in it’s curved form, it’s pristine condition hiding the deadliness of such a weapon. For those that don’t know, a katana is the sharpest weapon humanity has ever made, able to cut perfectly through almost anything...when wielded expertly and properly. The hilt was a beautiful dark blue, with small accents of lighter shade of the same color. Also, right in the center, was an encrusted emblem of a crescent moon.

I motioned for Shining to hand me the sword and, when he did, I held the sword as if it were so fragile that a single breath would destroy it. I could see its beauty, yet also feel its power. Oh yes, I could sense a deep power within this weapon and… something else. I hopped down from my perch, grabbing the guitar with one hand and slinging it over my shoulder and onto my back. I took the sword in both hands, gripping it tight. I closed my eyes and took slow, deep breaths. I felt the power deep within the sword and began to dredge it to the surface. I faintly heard a humming coming from somewhere, but I paid it no mind. When I felt the power had filled my new sword, I opened my eyes in a flash and swung the sword. I watched in amazement as my swing let loose a bolt of blue energy that flew onward, crashing into the wall, leaving a massive gash. I panted, staring in awe at the blade in my hand. Then that something came back, deep within the depths of my mind, forging two words into existence.

“Gekkō Ōda,” I whisper.

“What?”

“Moonlight Strike, Gekkō Ōda. I don’t know why it came out Japanese, but that is the name of this sword, my sword.”

“Moonlight Strike? Interesting choice.”

“It just felt right. By the way, you seem to be taking me having this quite well. Why is that?”

“It’s pretty obvious you have no idea what you’re doing.” Ouch, right in the pride. “Even that little magic you performed is not enough to faze me. You’re going to have to do better than that!”

“Oh, really?” I don’t know what made me think that it would work, but I tried to summon that power again, only this time into my hand instead of the sword. Yes, the sword seems to possess power of its own, but I could feel my own flowing into it earlier. That means that I should have some kind of magic or whatever this is. I focused on my hand, delving deep into myself and finding...something. It felt like ice that was midway through melting, but there was power behind it. I brought the power forth, closing my eyes in concentration only to open them a moment later. In my hand was that same blue energy that had coated my sword. It hummed with power as it floated right above my palm. Heh, so this is how Dragon Ball works? I like it!

Shining watched me in silence, his face free of any emotion. “It is certainly interesting to see a creature without a horn forming magic. Not out of the ordinary, but definitely interesting.”

I was feeling a twinge bit smug, knowing full well what would happen if I released the energy. So I felt like showing him. I smiled at him, turned around and fired the balled up blue energy at the wall. As it impacted against the crystal stone, a large burst of icy-cold wind was released in all directions, forcing the two of us to shield our faces from the blast. When we looked again, the wall was coated in a layer of ice that then shattered, taking a huge chunk of the wall with it. We both stared at the spot, wide-eyed. My look soon turned to a shit-eating grin and I looked over at Shining Armor. He looked back, still wide-eyed. I moved my eyebrows up and down, Grucho Marx style, in response.

Shining sighed and slumped while still standing. “Alright, I’ll admit, that was impressive.”

I started laughing at his sullen expression, slapping him on the back. “Aw, cheer up Shining! I’m still just learning this stuff, so you got experience on me still. I just happen to know how some of this stuff works, so I got an unfair advantage. Beginner’s luck, as they say.”

Shining shot me a curious glance. “Nothing ever fazes you, does it?”

I shrug, putting my hands behind my head again. “I try not to let things get to me. It’s better to just live everyday as you see fit. Why rush through life when you can sit back and let life take you where it wants? As the French say, C’est la vie.”

“What does that mean?”

I began to stroll out of the room, leaving him behind. I smile and look back, but still kept going. “That’s life!” Shining just stood there dumbfounded as I moved along. Just letting my feet carry me away, not caring where I ended up. Honestly, I’m surprised I never became a wanderer, I think that would have been good for me. Never could stand still for too long without getting bored. Maybe now that I’m in a new land that no human has ever explored, that’s what I could be. A man with only the clothes on his back, letting the wind take him wherever he needs to go. Sounds like a dream life, then again this is a dream place. Heh, aw well, that’s future Kaito’s problem.

I stopped moving at that thought. Am I really starting to think of myself as Kaito? Is it a side-effect of getting dragged here with chaos magic? Hmm, as long as it doesn’t make me forget who I really am, I don’t see any harm in this. Kaito is a pretty cool name. I see a mirror on the wall as I stroll by and I stopped to take a look a reflection that was mine, yet not as I remember. I nodded in appreciation at what I saw. Oh yeah, cool name for a cool new look. I could definitely work like this.

Not wanting to sound anymore like a narcissist, I kept up my stroll, eventually coming to a large set of double doors. I pushed open one, and snuck on in. I spied a familiar pink alicorn sitting on her throne. I smiled and moved along the side of the room, silently and stealthily. I was right behind her chair soon enough and peeked right over. “Hi Caddie!”

“GAH!” she jumped at my sudden yell. She looked over her shoulder and then sighed. “Oh, Kaito, it’s you. Don’t scare me like that.”

“Sorry, Caddie.”

“‘Caddie’? Well, we are friends, so I guess I can put up with it.”

“That’s the spirit! So… whacha doin’?” I look over at the piece of paper she had in her hand. I read the first line: Dear Aunt Celestia; then I stopped. I turned my head and started walking around to the front of her, saying, “Whoops, reading private mail. My bad.”

“You’re not curious?”

“Oh trust me, you be hard pressed to find someone else with a curiosity like mine.” Curiosity killed the cat, and it sparked every deep fear I had. “But I’m not gonna read your mail over your shoulder like some weirdo.”

“I thought you were a weirdo?”

I deadpanned. “Cute, princess. Real cute. No, I’m just weird. Weirdos are another thing entirely and I am most certainly not one.”

“Um, can I ask you a question, Kaito?”

“You just did.” Smirk’s back!

Cadance deadpanned. “...Not even going to bother with that. Anyway, why are you on top of your guitar?”

“Huh?” I looked down to find that I had indeed perched myself right back on the guitar. I was quite surprised by this turn of events, but hey it means I got a quirk. Yay! “Oh, just sittin’ pretty is all! Don’t I just look magnificent up here?” I said while standing up from my position. How I was doing that, I had no idea and no longer cared.

Cadance rolled her eyes and giggled. “Oh yes. Quite the sight.”

“No autographs, my agent forbids it!” She got a good laugh out of that.

Shining decided to come in at that moment. He saw me, still standing on a perfectly straight guitar, and his wife laughing at me. He snorted a little and moved closer towards us. “So this is where you disappeared to.”

“‘Sup, brotha!”

“‘Brother’?”

“I don’t think I could handle having you as a brother, Kaito.”

“Ouch. Them feels.” Cadance and Shining both chuckled at my fake emotional pain. “So what’s with the letter, Caddie?”

“I’m letting my aunt, Princess Celestia, know about you. An unfamiliar creature should be brought to her attention.”

“Oh you’re writin’ ‘bout little ol’ me? Good things, I hope.”

She giggled again. “I’m just letting her know that everything is fine as well as your new citizenship. Since the Crystal Empire is an annex of Equestrian law, you fall under her rule as well.”

“Heil Celestia!” I shout with a serious expression and my arm out at a slant salute.

Shining sighed. “Kaito, do you ever make sense?”

“Eenope. But that would have been funny back home. Aw well, like I said, C’est la vie.”

Cadance looked to Shining for clarification. “He says it means ‘that’s life’.”

“Oh, how interesting. You really are quite… unique, my friend.”

“So I have been told, many times.” Okay, how it is that I managed to move to a handstand on top of this thing is beyond me, but I like it. So I just randomly move in position while perched on a perfectly good instrument that really should have broken by now? ...That is so me.

“By the way, Katio. I figured you’d probably want these back, too.” Shining hoofed me a set of blue headphones that looked like they should have the beats symbol on it. These looked nice! I picked them up and inspected them, they were a darker blue than my hair, making quite the compliment. I put them on and they were extremely comfortable. I pulled them down and let them rest on my neck, feeling perfect right there.

“Thanks, Shining. These are very expensive.” At least they looked like it. I heard a poof from behind me and turned to see Cadance holding a letter. “What’s with the poof?”

“It’s my aunt’s reply.” Huh, never saw her send it off. I really need to pay more attention to my surroundings when I’m not meditating.

“So… how are things?”

She smiled at me while she read. “Well, it seems like a few of your fellow are in Ponyville.” Huh?! “She would like Shining Armor and myself to accompany you to Ponyville via carriage.”

So, I’m not the only shmuck here, huh? Well, this should certainly be interesting. “When is she expecting us?”

“As soon as possible.”

“Oh dear!” I say, exagerating my voice to distressed damsel. “There is so much I need to prepare! I need to comb my hair, brush my teeth, get some fancy cologne, oh so much to do!” I swoon in distress, halting midway, to see my new friends trying very hard not to bust a gut. I straighten with my signature smirk. “Ah screw it! Let’s go!”

“Whatever you say,” Shining says, still trying not to burst with laughter. We made our way out to the proper balcony, where a two stallion team was already hitched to a golden chariot.

“Why are we flying when we’re too far north?” I asked as we got things ready to go.

“It’s much faster than the train,” Cadance answered. “Don’t worry, your coat should protect you from the cold. The Crystal Empire isn’t all that far north, so it should only be an hour or two.”

I nodded in understanding and we piled into the carriage. “Anything to say before we’re off, Kaito?” asked Shining. He really shouldn’t have asked that.

“Actually, if you two could help me with something I’ve always wanted to do.” They looked at me confused, then at each other and shrugged. “Great!” I lean over and whisper my plan into their ears. I straighten, both of them looking even more confused. “Please?”

They rolled their eyes and nodded. “Yes!” I cleared my throat and said, “Onward! To waffles!”

“WAFFLES, HO!” the three of yelled as the two pegasi took flight. Nailed it! Ponyville, here we come!

PreviousChapters Next