• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 3,069 Views, 455 Comments

Vocaloid in Equestria: beta session - DerpyStarlet



Me and my brother got sucked into our computer and now I'm Rin and my brother's Len in the Vocaloid group.

  • ...
21
 455
 3,069

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10: Puzzling Predicament

I can sense that my eyes are closed, and feeling is returning to my hands. As soon as I realize that I'm awake the tune in my head starts to play softly, the sickly sweet melody trying to lull me into a false sense of security. The memory of the dream is still fresh in my head, I remember more of it than I usually do with dreams. I struggle to remember what happened just before I fell asleep, the end gets really hard to remember. I vaguely remember a sense of security, but I can't recall why. I recognize hushed voices discussing something nearby, I try to listen.

"I don't know what it is, it walked right on in," one voice hisses.

"And y'all just kept it in here? Why did y'all get us anyhow? Why not miss Cheerilee or Twilight?" a second voice whispers.

"Because we go to them if theres danger! There isn't any danger here, it collapsed right in front of me. It clearly isn't okay," the first voice exclaims in a hushed tone.

"Well, what're we gonna do about it?" The second voice asks.

"I think we should help her." A third voice whispers.

"What makes you so sure it's a her?" The second voice asks.

"Look at her mane, and that looks like some sort of dress. I think it's easy to assume," the third voice points out.

"Alright, that doesn't help much with what we're gonna do though. I agree with Scoots, we should help her. I just don't know what we can do," the second voice states.

`Scoots?` I think to myself, an image of a shocked orange pony comes to mind. I finally remember where I managed to drag myself before collapsing, the Cutie Mark Crusaders Clubhouse. I groan and lift myself into a sitting position. I open my eyes and look over to three shocked little fillies, I smile at them. I scoot back to lean against a wall and they stand stock still, we have a silent staring match before I start the questioning.

"So, why didn't you turn me in to Twilight?" I question. The three fillies snap out of their shock and look at each other in confusion.

"Because we wanted to make sure you were okay," Sweetie Belle says nervously, I give her a judging look. Eventually I relent and give her a smile, she lets out a sigh.

"Hold on a sec! How do y'all know Twilight?" Applebloom questions.

"Well, I did hear you talking about her. Honestly though, I have outside knowledge. Not sure how much I can trust though, I'd hope all of it. Thank you, by the way. For letting me crash in your clubhouse," my stomach growls at me and I can feel the pains of hunger. Applebloom nudges a bowl of apples over to me and I give my silent thanks before digging in. She also gives me a glass of water that I down in one gulp, then I turn back to the bowl of apples.

"Can we trust you?" Applebloom questions, I think on it.

"Probably not," I reason. "Though I can ensure you that I'm not dangerous, as far as I know" I add, this seems to ease them.

"Do you have a name?” Scootaloo asks.

“Course she has a name, what kind of dumb question is that?” Applebloom says.

“She is an alien, she might not have a name,” Sweetie Belle says.

“Yeah, for all we know she could have a number instead of a name,” Scootaloo adds.

“The number would be her name you dimwit,” Applebloom points out. I intervene before the arguing can continue.

“Megurine Luka, but you can just call me Luka” I tell them, they digest this information.

“That’s a nice name,” Sweetie Belle says.

“Thank you,” I smile and she smiles back.

“What are you here for?” Applebloom asks.

“I’m not sure, some sort of experiment.” I tell them.

“You’re not sure? How’d you get here?” Scootaloo demands.

“A being of immense power pulled me here.” I tell them simply.

“They just pulled you through? Without your permission?” Scootaloo asks in surprise.

“He, and yes.” I sigh and look around the clubhouse idly, there isn’t much to look at. I eventually turn back to the three CMC members, “So, what’s the plan?” I ask.

“What?” Sweetie Belle asks.

“Well, I’m the visitor. So the responsibility lands on you three for what to do with me.” I say nonchalantly as I get up from the ground and creep over to the window, I look out it.

“What do you think we should do?” Applebloom asks nervously.

“Personally, I’d tell Applejack. That way she could tell Twilight and in turn maybe help me. Or, she destroys me because of some unforeseen danger I hold, then she helps everypony. Or she can’t really do anything and we have to find a way to fix this.” I shrug and look back at the three fillies.

“Why would Twilight destroy you? You seem real nice!” Sweetie Belle asks.

“Maybe not Twilight exactly, but somepony might find a reason that I need to not exist. I don’t know what it might be, but it’s a possibility.” I sit back down against the wall.

“Why are y’all acting like you’re okay with that?” Applebloom asks incredulously.

“I’d rather it not happen, I’m not all that comfortable with it happening. But I can’t blame them if I’m a danger,” I frown at my own words. Maybe I should have stronger feelings towards not existing, but I can’t bring myself to believe it. A growing unease plants itself in my stomach at the thought, I almost remember being more emotionally sensitive.

“Well, I don’t want you to be destroyed! You haven’t done anything yet!” Scootaloo exclaims.

“You don’t know that. Your trust in me is cute, but naive” I scoff at their antics.

“So, you want to be destroyed?” Applebloom challenges.

“I don’t want you to make a mistake. Besides, there’s no guarantee that I’ll be destroyed. There’s still a big chance that Twilight could help me,” I point out. They huddle close together and start to discuss something, most likely me. Eventually they turn back to me, I look at each of them in turn.

“We don’t want to tell them about you, we want to help you. But, we couldn’t really stop you if you wanted to tell them… so, we’ll let you decide. Do you want us to tell them?” Applebloom says, the other two nod in agreement.

“I’d want you to tell them, but I’m fairly certain Applejack already knows.” I tell them.

“Why’s that?” Applebloom asks.

“She was walking towards the clubhouse not that long ago and she hasn’t knocked yet, my best guess is she heard my voice and decided to try and figure out who I was. I’d have to guess she’s still listening,” I say, the door to the clubhouse opens up and Applejack walks in.

“Sorry about that, I…” Applejack trails off as she sees me. “Uh-oh, there’s another one…” She mutters.

“Why were you eavesdroppin’?” Applebloom asks.

“Don’t destroy her!” Sweetie pleads.

“I won’t let you do it!” Scootaloo jumps in between me and Applejack.

“She didn’t say anything about hurtin’ her, she just said that there were others!” Applebloom points out, Scootaloo relaxes. She doesn’t move from her position between the two of us.

“Uh, yeah… There are two others so far. They’re supposed to be a secret, but I imagine it would be hard to keep that secret from you three now… Listen, Twi’ don’t want knowledge of them getting out until she’s spoken to the princess. Could I trust you three to keep this a secret?” Applejack asks, the crusaders huddle once more.

“We’ll keep it a secret under one condition,” Scootaloo declares.

“And what would that be,” Applejack sighs.

“We want to be able to hangout with all three of them!” Sweetie Belle declares.

“Now, girls, we don’t know anything about them. I don’t know if it’s a good idea-” Applejack is cut off by Applebloom.

“It’s that, or no deal,” Applebloom declares, Applejack looks at the three fillies in exasperation.

“Fine, I’ll see what I can do…” Applejack relents, the three fillies cheer. Applejack finally turns to me, she seems to be judging me. “So, what’s your name?” Applejack asks after a while.

“Megurine Luka, but you can just call me Luka,” I tell her.

“Right, well… We’ll need a way to get you to the castle without getting caught…” Applejack says thoughtfully.

“Canterlot Castle?” I ask.

“No, Twilights castle,” Applejack corrects.

“Twilights castle?” The music in my head picks up as I feel a pang of loss at the memory of Twilight’s library. I ignore the music and try to think of a way to get to the castle secretly. There are two ways to stay out of attention, to stay out of sight or divert attention. The question is, which do we use. Staying out of sight is preferable, but creating a commotion elsewhere is also good…

The second idea is too risky, there’s still a chance someone will look. But how do we stay out of sight? Hiding in plain sight is a sound idea, but it wouldn’t work well here. Disguises are out of the question. Could I hide in a cart or something? That would have to be a huge cart… Maybe I could just avoid the pony population, that would mean we have to go around them all. Which means we have to go around ponyville, but there’s still the possibility of being seen by pegasi or wandering ponies. We need some sort of cover that we can use until we get to the castle, but what could we use.

The tune in my head grows harsh as I try to think, it’s disrupting my thoughts. It’s hard to think with the constant tune. I turn my head to the window and I see the rows of apple trees. Trees would be a good cover, a place with lots of trees and shadows to conceal me. My mind comes to a sole conclusion, Everfree forest.

“Applejack, I think I know how to get to the castle.” I tell her.

“No, I think I’ll just get Twilight to bring the others to my farm house. We can’t risk it,” Applejack says.

“We could head through the edge of the Everfree, they won’t see us.” I tell her. Applejack thinks about it, she seems torn to decide.

"Alright, fine. But be careful." Applejack says decisively.

"We'll protect you in the forest!" Applebloom says.

"No, you three are heading straight to the castle," Applejack tells them.

"But we want to come with you!" Sweetie Belle argues.

"The forest is no place for a filly,"Applejack replies.

"Thats not fair!" Applebloom fumes.

"Tough luck, I'm not letting you three put yourselves in danger." Applejack turns away from the three and towards the door.

"We'll tell." Scootaloo says, an obvious attempt at blackmail.

"Tell who what exactly?" Applejack looks back at them.

"We'll tell everypony about your alien!" Sweetie Belle announces.

"And wheres your proof? No one will believe you. Now quit trying to get into the everfree or I won't let you play with them. And thats final," Applejack turns and walks out of the clubhouse, I follow at a slower pace. Applejack turns and leads me towards the Everfree, it's a silent procession. I'm not sure if Applejack doesn't want to talk to me, or she doesn't know what to say.

"Hey Applejack, how much does a polar bear weigh?" I question. Applejack looks over to me in surprise, then she furls her brow in thought.

"I dunno, how much?" She finally asks.

"Enough to break the ice. Ba-dum-ts," I make the motions for a drum with my hands. Applejack looks at me blankly for a moment before bursting into laughter.

"Oh, that's mighty clever of you." Applejack finally admits after she's done laughing and as we walk into the Everfree.

"Yeah... so, your sister. She's a pretty sweet kid," I say casually, making sure to keep track of my surroundings.

"Yeah, well she can be plumb reckless sometimes. Her and her friends would probably follow us in here if they weren't so adamant about meeting the others," Applejack says as she cautiously checks her surroundings too.

"About the others... how much did they say they know about you?" I ask tentatively.

"They seemed to know a lot. Said that our privacy is safe though... I'm not sure about that if they know so much... Do you know a lot about us too?" Applejack asks in suspicion.

"Yeah, sorry..." I answer.

"It's alright, I reckon that if it's as they say, y'all didn't expect us to be real. Or something like that," Applejack assures me.

"For what it's worth, I really admire you Applejack." I tell her.

"Oh, and why's that? I ain't nothin' special," Applejack shrugs in modesty.

"That isn't true and you know it. You've always been there for your family, and your always so dependable." I tell her.

"That ain't true, I left the farm when I was a filly. I left it again when I failed the rodeo. I'm not that great," Applejack replies with a sigh.

"Yeah, but you came back. When you were a filly that got you your cutie mark, and a cutie mark paves your destiny. You were made to be there for your family. You have always been a hardworker, looking after your family. Even as a filly, and you've always been there for Applebloom. She looks up to you with so much pride and adoration, it makes my heart melt," I tell her. She doesn't really answer for a while.

"You really think so?" She finally asks.

"I know so," I say with finality.

"That's really sweet of ya... I sometimes fear I'm not doing enough for the farm," Applejack admits.

"You worry too much, Mac will tell you he same thing. The farms fine, you're doing more than plenty." I tell her, then I stop and look around. "Did you hear that?" I ask.

"Hear what?" She stops and listens. A loud crash can be heard, the ground starts to thump.

"That. Do we run, or hide?" I ask her.

"It looks like it's coming from over there! Let's get out of the way!" We rush to the side and we see another figure run towards us. He has long purple hair and is wearing a kimono, I stare in shock. Behind him is a very angry manticore, and it's chasing him.

"Yeehaw!" He yells as he runs towards us, he stops right next to us and the manticore that was chasing him goes over his head. "Howdy, Applejack! Oh, and I found Luka. Looks like he wasn't lying, there are others. Mind taking me with you? Also, we might want to hurry. I may have done something to anger him," we snap out of our shock at the manticores roar and we continue on our path quickly. Thankfully, we manage to lose the manticore quickly.

I take a rest by leaning against a tree, but in my tired state I slip and fall behind it. I can only see blue as I pull myself out of whatever plant I fell into, I stumble my way through a bush and back onto the path and settle for just laying in the dirt.

"Is everypony alright?" Applejack asks.

"Yeah, I'm fine..." I groan, brushing myself off.

"That was fun! Let's go again!" The newcomer says excitedly.

"Ok, first off, no. Second, who are you? You look familiar, but I can't put my finger on your name..." I say.

"The names Kamui," he extends his hand to shake. I look at it suspiciously before tentatively reaching my hand out, before I can shake his though he pulls it back in a jellyfish motion. I sigh aggravatedly and turn away from him.

"Whatever, let's just get going." I tell him, Applejack just nods slowly. She's inspecting Kamui, like he's a threat. We continue on through the forest in silence, mostly silence. Kamui keeps on trying to tell jokes or pull pranks on us, I just block him out. However, in trying to ignore him the music in my head grows louder. Both are grating on my nerves to the point that I could shout, my hand moves unconsciously to my other arm. I notice and put it back down, the draw of the music growing stronger. Thankfully Applejack stops me before either annoyance drives me crazy.

"That's the castle just up there. There's no cover from here to there, but it doesn't look like anyponies around. Regardless, we'll have to be quick. So on the count of three we run," I nod, Kamui does too. "Okay, one, two-" Applejack is cut off as kamui makes a mad dash for the castle.

"Race ya!" He calls back, I facepalm before giving chase. Due to my track knowledge, I'm able to keep form and pass him halfway. Applejack isn't far behind him, making sure he stays on track. "Hey, no fair! I've got sandals on! I want a rematch!" Kamui calls after.

"Sorry Sugarcube, no can do," Applejack says, still leading him to the door. He just crosses his arms sourly but continues to run.

"Unbelievable..." I mutter as I watch them from the door of the castle. Kamui seems to have gotten over it fairly quickly though, because he's running a snake like pattern and making it difficult for Applejack to keep on his tail. She manages though. "You loon, hurry up! We don't have time to dawdle!" I yell after him.

"You're no fun," he tells me as he walks in the door, Applejack still behind him. She has a scowl on her face, I have to agree with her.

"Oh, is this one of the other two? She has some real nice hair!" I hear Sweetie say.

"Why thank you," Kamui says, completely ignoring the she comment.

"No, this is a fourth one..." Applejack says, turning to Twilight. I hadn't even noticed she was here. Kamui absorbs the attention happily, I stand back and fold my arms timidly.

A fourth, I didn't even know there was a third until the crusaders came here and told me. Why did you tell them they could play with the other two?" Twilight asks incredulously.

"I said, I'll see what I can do. They threatened to blab, and I figured if I ask its not too much trouble. So here I am, asking." Applejack asks.

"Sorry girls, but no. We just don't know anything about them, except that they could be dangerous. They've already showed extreme power surges under duress, likely a safety mechanism. It's still dangerous though," Twilight says, this catches my interest.

"Power surges? Concentrated, or explosive?" I ask.

"You don't know? Maybe it's just those two... of course she didn't seem to know about it at first, maybe she just hasn't been under the right circumstances to access it? Oh, right, sorry. It was concentrated, mostly." Twilight answers.

"Uh-oh..." I say in thought.

"Uh-oh? Why uh-oh?" Twilight asks.

"Well, we humans generally don't have magical power of any type. So magical ability of any kind in us can't be entirely good. There are two possibilities to the power. One, the magical field in Equestria is naturally saturating us with magical energies. Two, the only other thing that could give us magical power would be the entity that brought us here. Which would mean artificial chaotic magic that's alien to our body was implanted into our being. Neither option is good." I explain.

"Well, how is natural saturation bad?" Twilight asks curiously.

"It would mean we're adapting to the new environment, overwriting our ties that we have to our old world. I don't know if they could be completely overwritten, but I don't want to risk anything." I tell her.

"Oh, that does sound pretty bad... wait, you have no magical energy where you're from? Then how do you know so much about magic?" Twilight asks suspiciously.

"It's just natural for me," I shrug and turn away from Twilight to Kamui, who was listening to us intently.

"So, I have magic? That's awesome! How do I use it?" He asks.

"You dolt! You don't. You'd have to be crazy to risk something like that!" I exclaim.

"Honey, you clearly don't know me. Know, about that magic!" I just facepalm at his antics. He's either stupid, ignorant, or insane. Perhaps all three.

"Sweetie Belle, I don't think that one's a she. Listen to the voices. It sounds like that ones a male," Scootaloo points out. Sweetie Belle frowns and nods.

"Yeah, I thought something sounded off..." she admits. Kamui laughs at their comments and curtsies. I roll my eyes and turn back to Twilight.

"Either my own room to stay in, or the room where the other two are staying so I can talk to them. I don't care which, I just can't sit idly." I tell her.

"Oh, I'll lead you to the other two. Then later I'll show you your own room if that's what you want." Twilight says.

"Please," I sigh heavily.

"So, does this mean that we can't meet the other two?" Applebloom asks sadly.

"Yes," Applejack says. "Sorry, but you might as well go back to the farm. If that changes then I'll let you three know," Applejack says apologetically. The three walk sullenly to the door and Applejack sighs as she moves to follow us. Kamui follows behind, somewhat silently. "Really, Luka. I'm glad you're the one they found." Applejack admits.

"Why's that?" I ask.

"You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, very collected. The others are admittedly a bit much to handle..." Applejack explains.

"Well, thanks. Glad I can be the calm in the storm," I reply with a small chuckle.

"I heard that," kamui says.

"I know. And she's right, you have a screw loose." I tell him.

"Probably more than one." He shrugs, I try to ignore his comment. We walk in as close to peace as we can get with Kamui and his antics. All the while, the music is grating on my nerves. An electronic beat ringing in my head, the tune is close to hypnotising. I barely manage to resist whatever it's trying to lure me into, the urge is strong. The melody intoxicating, and the beat catchy. I start to fall behind the group, and they don't notice. Eventually I'm alone, until a pink pony approaches me.

"You hear it don't you? The music?" I look at her in surprise, but I nod. "Act on it, let it move you. Just let it go and sing!" I look at her in uncertainty, but between her smile and the musics suggestive influence I relent. My hand reaches up to the buttons on my sleeve and moves on its own, pressing a certain array of buttons. My hands move like lightning as the tune forms itself, I look over to Pinkie.

"You up to helping me out?" I just have a deep rooted feeling that Pinkie knows the lyrics. The tune engulfs me and I can feel secure in it. Pinkie starts singing and I lose myself in the music, I black out as the music plays. I open my eyes and my hand is on my sleeve still, but the music has stopped. Pinkie grins at me, Twilight and Applejack are both stomping their hooves. I only barely remember playing the song and it ending, I just know that I lost control. All that existed was playing, there was nothing else. I lost those minutes because of the tune.

I drop my hand in horror and back away into a wall, my breathing becomes labored. The music was terrible, but it was great. I felt secure, I felt a false happiness. I lost who I was for a brief moment, all because I submitted to the music. Twilight and Applejack rush to my side, Pinkie looks scared for me. I don't hear what they're saying as the music engulfs my senses. I look at them and I see they're mouths moving, but they're drowned out by the music.

I can feel tears streaking down my face as I shake my head to try and get rid of the music, but it won't go away. My eyes grow heavy and I feel a sense of drowsiness. The tune softens and dulls, but then it turns slow and sweet. I smile at how beautiful it sounds, then I feel a drop of water fall from my face. Was I crying? I can't imagine why, I'm safe as long as the musics playing. I start to hum happily, but the tears just quicken. I let out a sob and I can't help to wonder why I'm so sad, I feel so happy. I drift off to the sweet lullaby in my head, I can trust the music.

~

Twilight looks at the human female on the floor in worry, she was crying. It looks like she's asleep now, and she's smiling. She was even humming a happy tune, but she had looked so scared seconds before. And she had seemed so happy playing her music with Pinkie. Then after she was finished, it was like a switch flipped. She just became scared, terrified even. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her, because her magical scan showed nothing. Yet, Twilight can't help but fear that something was very wrong.

"What happened Twilight?" Applejack asks worriedly.

"I don't know..." Twilight admits.

"That's not like her. She's always been calm and cool about things, what could have changed that?" Applejack asks fearfully.

"I don't know, but I think she needs her rest." Twilight says. "I'll get her to her own room, you can go back and check on the others." Twilight tells her.

"Ok... I hope she's alright," Applejack says.

"She seems fine... Applejack, I never got her name." Twilight says, picking the human up in her magical grip gently.

"Luka, Megurine Luka." Applejack says.

"Luka," Twilight repeats as she carries the human towards an empty bedroom, Pinkie follows.

"Do you think she'll be okay Twilight?" Pinkie asks, lacking her usual bounciness.

"I think she'll be fine." Twilight lies. Whatever it was that she was scared about, it can't be good. His human seemed to know a bad situation when she saw one, and she showed close to no emotion when talking about being separated from her world. Whatever scared her must have been big, and that means important.

"I've never seen someone so scared of the music, it's usually very happy..." Pinkie says, Twilight looks at her curiously.

"You think she was scared of the music?" Twilight inquires.

"Yeah, it was different from most ponies that start singing. Most are surprised when they're good, but she was more than surprised..." Pinkie wanders off and Twilight thinks on what she's said. Twilights sung before, plenty of times. The music would draw her in and she'd be able to release the urge to sing. She surprises herself, even, when she sings. It's like a taste of control in the harmony of life, and it feels wonderful. How could music make someone so scared?

Author's Note:

Woo! Four in a row! It's a good thing that everypony that wanted to join the party planned ahead! Anyways, here's the fourth and final Chapter of the day/night. Tomorrow I may be on again and make the chapter in which Len and I meet Luka and Kamui... but Luka will sadly be resting while the randomness commences So until tomorrow, see ya!

PreviousChapters Next