• Published 7th Jul 2014
  • 2,346 Views, 111 Comments

It All Happened One Morning... - TiberiusPonificus



Something's happened to the children of Ponyville. What it is, no one is sure. One thing that is certain is that they don't look like ponies anymore.

  • ...
5
 111
 2,346

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon

"What do you mean, you can't find anything wrong?!" I've never heard something so outrageous! Don't these ponies use their eyes at all?

"Exactly what that means, sweetheart," my father pleaded. "All the doctors say you're perfectly fine!"

"Just how is this fine, Daddy?!" I stood up, giving everypony else reason to step back. It's still strange to stand up on two legs, but I was much too angry to care.

"We're still looking for the reason this happened, sugar lump. If you would just be patient and let the doctors keep running their magic on you, maybe we can find the cause..."

"These unicorns have had their horns glowing in my face for a whole hour!" I pointed out to him. "If they can't find the reason I look like this, then they're useless! You should have their degrees taken away!"

"Now now, Diamond. Let's not be harsh. These doctors came all the way from the other edge of town to take a look at you," Daddy explained. "And they're working as hard as they can!" He turned to one of the doctors, a dark yellow unicorn with a brown mane. "Aren't you?"

"Of course, Mr. Rich," the doctor replied. "But we've never seen anything like this before. For your daughter to just find herself like this when she woke up is nothing short of a mystery."

"She can't be the only one like this, can she?"

"We're not sure of that, either," the doctor answered. "We don't know the conditions that your daughter was in when this happened. None of the children in sick beds at the hospital have experienced any change, and neither has the maternity ward. If this is a condition that's affecting others, it's only affecting a certain area of Ponyville. That is, if she's not the only one that's like this."

"I better not be! I don't wanna be stuck like this!" I stomped my hind hoof and marched over to the mirror next to my bed.

"And I promise, we're gonna find the cause and find a way to change you back! Just please, let the doctors do their work!" Daddy kept whining, but I wasn't listening.

"Why did this have to happen to me just when summer vacation was starting?" I sighed, staring at my new form in the mirror. "My finely groomed hooves have been replaced by these...things that look like spider's legs! My beautiful face has been smooshed in, my slender neck has been cut short! My pretty pink coat that takes forever to groom is now this hairless abomination I can't even run a comb through! My gorgeous tail has vanished! But most heinous of all...MY CUTIE MARK IS GONE!! I'M A BLANK FLANK AGAIN!!" I broke down crying at this reminder.

"There, there, my sweet little angel," Daddy came up to me. "You've still got your sublime mane and your soulful eyes." He reached up to my chin so I'd look at him.

"But those are the only things I have left! What if they disappear or turn into something else? No one would recognize me! Not even Silver Spoon would want to be around me!" I wiped the tears from my eyes and stood up straight. "I'm going to go see her."

"What? You shouldn't! Not looking like you do right now!" Daddy stepped in front of me.

"I want to see her before this gets any worse!" I yelled. I had to admit, it was much easier to talk to him when I was just this much taller.

"But what if somepony sees you?"

"For crying out loud, Daddy! Silver Spoon's right next door! And I'm going to see her while I still mostly look like me!" I started to walk out of the room to leave the house.

"Young lady, I can't let you leave here without knowing just what it was that changed you into this!" Daddy stood in front of the doorway. I scrunched up my face and was about to let him have it, when a noise broke the tension.

DING-DONG

"Now who could that be?" Daddy turned around and walked to the foyer. I followed him, even though he told me not to. "Randolph, who is it?"

"Miss Silver Spoon has arrived, Master Filthy," Randolph stated. A figure, draped in what looked like a large bed sheet, stood next our butler. Out from the top was a familiar head of hair, which was the only thing that told me it was her. Everything else was covered. "She states she's ill and thus will not let herself be seen, but she still wished to see Diamond Tiara."

"Silver Spoon!" I ran towards her, careful not to fall down the stairs...again. I gave her the biggest hug I could, taking her by surprise. She tensed up and wound up dropping the sheet.

When the sheet fell, I took a step back to take a look at my friend. I should have known something was wrong when she was the same size as me. But, whatever had happened to me happened to her as well. She had only light skin instead of her coat. She stood on two legs, with claws at the ends the same shape as mine. Her snout had been smushed into her face, making it flat. Her tail was missing as was her cutie mark.

"Oh no," I said. "Not you too!"

"This is terrible, isn't it?" Silver Spoon asked. "We look like freaks! Cutie mark-less freaks!"

"Calm down," I said and placed my claws on her shoulders. "We'll find whoever did this to us, make them change us back, and run them out of town!"

"But who could ever do this to us?" Silver Spoon inquired. "Could it have been those blank flanks? Maybe they were so flankhurt over not having cutie marks that they did something to take them away from us! And then some!"

"Don't be ridiculous!" I shouted. "How could those girls possibly have enough power to do something like this? Sweetie Belle can't even use magic, remember?"

"Then, if it wasn't them, then who?"

"Sugar lump!" I heard my father coming down the stairs. "Please, you should..." He reared back when he saw Silver Spoon.

"So this isn't happening to just one pony," the doctor said, following Daddy. "Miss Silver Spoon, would you allow us to take a look at you? Run some diagnostic spells so we can see what's happened to you and Miss Tiara?"

"If you think it'll help..." Silver Spoon answered.

"I'm sure it will, Silver Spoon," Daddy told her. "We need to do whatever we can to find out how this happened."

"And we'll make whoever did this pay, right, Daddy?" I asked.

"We-We'll see..." was his only answer.

I had to hold Silver Spoon's claw with my own to make sure she'd get up the stairs without much trouble. I had always been used to using my hooves, so using these strange things that looked like spider's legs should have been an exercise in frustration. But I was able to use them just fine without thinking about it. This was just too strange. I needed to change back before I got used to this weird body.

"Please. Lay down," the doctor instructed once we got back to my room. We both lay on our backs on the bed and waited for him to start. Silver Spoon lay her glasses on the table next to the bed.

"What are you going to do?" Silver Spoon asked.

"We just need to take a look every structure in your body and compare the two of you and see if we can find what's common and what's different," the doctor explained. "This won't take long, I promise."

"Okay." With that, the doctor and his two unicorn nurses began. Their horns glowed, and all around me and Silver Spoon, little screens started appearing. I could see one that told me how fast my heart was beating, as well as another with a weird squiggly line. Before I could ask what that was, a large green rectangle appeared above me and Silver Spoon and lowered itself, covering the both of us. I closed my eyes for a little bit until I felt it was safe. When I opened them, though, I screamed at what I saw in front of me.

"Diamond, hush!" Daddy snapped at me. He turned toward the doctor. "Doctor, is this...?"

"Their skeletal structure, yes," the doctor replied. Right above me and Silver Spoon were pictures of the bones the both of us had in these bodies. A warning would have been nice.

"How bizarre..." Daddy said quietly.

"It's fascinating, really," the doctor said. "I've never seen a body like this in any of my textbooks. It's fully functional and sound as far as its structure goes. And take a look at this." He waved his hoof, and the skeleton disappeared. In its place, an outlined image of our organs showed up. I had to look away to keep from getting sick.

"These are their organs?" I heard Daddy ask.

"Yes, they are," the doctor answered. "Even though they're in different bodies, they still have all the same vital pieces. Heart, lungs, brain, muscles, intestines and ovaries. This at the very least tells us they're still mammals."

"That's fine and everything, but how does this help us?" Daddy started getting impatient. I heard the images blink out and could look over at Daddy again. He looked like he was starting to get mad.

"If we know everything about what they turned into, we can figure out a magical algorithm to possibly change them back," the doctor explained. "Look right here," he brought up a screen showing a line that wiggled and squiggled in a pattern. "Everypony has a unique magic signature that's used to identify them. When you called me over, I brought Diamond Tiara's records with me, which includes her signature. What you see here doesn't match what I have on file."

"And? What does that mean?"

"Allow me to finish," the doctor said calmly. "We found an odd flucuation in your daughter's pattern. We also found this same flucuation in Miss Silver Spoon's pattern as well. Whatever kind of magic that was able to do this is the same magic."

"So it is some manner of spell," Daddy rubbed his chin. "So what happens now? What do you recommend?"

"I recommend staying at home until I come back after analyzing all of this data." The doctor finished writing in his pad and put everything in his saddle bag. The nurses had also started packing their things.

"You're leaving?!" Daddy shouted.

"I have to, Mr. Rich," the doctor replied. "The proper equipment to analyze all this is still back at the hospital. If I can't find anything there, I'll have to request assistance in Canterlot."

"Canterlot?" Daddy asked. "But won't that take you another day?"

"I'm afraid so," the doctor answered.

"Another day?!" I sprang up out of bed and walked over to the doctor grabbing his face. "I cant stand being in this body for another hour! You're a doctor, aren't you? So fix this!"

"Sugar plum, please let go of the doctor," Daddy pleaded.

"You're not in any danger while in this body," the doctor said through a squished muzzle. He lifted me up so I would let go. "Which means we can take our time figuring this out. If there is anything, we will let you know as soon as possible. For now, have this." He set me down and took a lollipop out of his saddle bag. I sat down with it in my claw while he left the room, accompanied by Randolph.

"Uh...thank you for your help!" Daddy shouted after him. "Let us be the first to know when you find something!"

"Just what does that quack expect me to do? Stay cooped up in this house?!" I threw the lollipop behind me. How dare he patronize me? It wasn't even a good flavor!

"We'll die of boredom before he finds a cure!" Silver Spoon buried her face in the pillow. "This is the worst!"

"I'm sorry, girls," Daddy said. "But it would be best if you stayed here until the doctor gets back to us."

"But who knows when that will be, Daddy!" I stood and shouted. "All the other fillies and colts are out there enjoying their summer while we're stuck here looking like freaks!"

"Don't think of yourselves as freaks," Daddy said. "Think of yourselves as...unique creatures of beauty."

I stared at him in disbelief. "That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever heard you say, Daddy."

Daddy sighed. "What I'm trying to tell you is that you should make the most of it. This is only a temporary setback! I didn't make the bits we enjoy today by complaining!"

"No, you got the bits we enjoy getting the business from Grandpa!" I reminded him.

"Well," Daddy cleared his throat, "I certainly didn't let it go to waste..." He stammered on, but his words were already lost on me.

I walked up to the mirror and took a good long look at it. Even if it wasn't my beautiful pink coat, I couldn't say that this skin was necessarily ugly. I have to admit, I have seen worse looking ponies than this. It's almost the middle of the day and I still...mostly...look like myself. If this is as bad as it gets...

"You know what, Daddy?" I said aloud. "You're right!"

"What?"

"I should make the most of this!" I told him. "Right now, Silver Spoon and I have been blessed with a gracious new form!"

"We have?" Silver Spoon asked, getting off the bed.

"Of course!" I shouted. I brought her over to the mirror so she could take a look at herself. "Standing on two legs, we stand far above any filly our age! With these claws, we can grab all sorts of things without needing a horn or magic! Even if this beauty isn't understood in our time, if we do this right, we can be known as pioneers in new bodies!"

"You think so?" She asked.

"I know it for a fact!" I said with my claw at my chest. "Daddy! Call the seamstress! We're going out for the day!"

"Out?!" Daddy exclaimed. "What if somepony sees you two?"

"I want them to see us!" I answered proudly. "Whether we're in these bodies for a few days or for good, I don't wanna be stuck in this house anymore! Never allow yourself to be afraid; Isn't that what you taught me, Daddy?"

"Certainly, but..."

"But nothing!" I interrupted him. "We're gonna flaunt these new looks and show this town the latest trend, started by us!"

Daddy remained silent. After a moment, he sighed and said, "Okay, just so long as you stay in town. But...why do you need the seamstress?"

"To make us outfits to fit this new body, duh!" I replied and looked back to the mirror. "Nothing looks too bad with this body, but even without any blemishes, we still look embarrassingly plain. Don't you agree, Silver Spoon?"

Silver Spoon looked at the mirror and smiled. "I think I would like to wear something other than my glasses."

"There, you see? Now, come on!" I told Daddy. "I wanna get out of here as soon as possible!"

It took a couple hours, (including some of the time spent trying to wake up the seamstress after she fainted) but Silver Spoon and I were finally ready to hit the town. We had dresses that reached to our knees, both the same color as our former coats. Made us easier to identify, you see. They were rather simple, but we wanted to leave and there was no time for added frills.

"I can't wait to see the looks on those chumps' faces when we stroll into town looking this amazing!" I told Silver Spoon walking towards the main square.

"This was scary at first," she said, "but these bodies and these clothes are going to launch us miles ahead of the competition!"

"Now you're talking! It's our turn to set the trend!" I shouted triumphantly. "Our popularity will soar like nothing we've ever seen! Fillies will beg to know our secret to how we did it!"

"But..." Silver Spoon slowed down slightly. "How did we do it?"

"Details, details," I replied. "We'll have that figured out later. Not like we're gonna tell them, anyway," I giggled. "Right now, what's important is..."

We reached the town square, and what the both of us saw there completely blew our minds.

"I DON'T BELIEVE THIS!!"

Author's Note:

Phew, this took forever! I'm incredibly sorry, but life was pulling me away from the story at every chance it had. I finally managed to get this done, and I hope I don't disappoint with this.

I still need to ask my partner in crime, LordFrieza, if he's still doing a Rumble chapter and a Berry Pinch chapter or if he wants me to take over. Either way, I'll try to get back to you all asap. Thank you for your understanding and patience!