• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 4,096 Views, 184 Comments

Ponies on Bronies - Ravenmane



Shenanigans return to a familiar house that sits on a hill overlooking the Everfree Forest

  • ...
15
 184
 4,096

28 - A Very Special Night

After my trip to Lovestruck’s with Rarity, not to mention the subsequent mouthing off Rarity gave to the jeweler’s when they tried to ignore us, word started to get around that the ‘creepy looking’ pegasus was just Alex. Personally, I was just happy to be free of ponies slamming doors in my face. I mean I already had almost everything in my life in place. I had two very lovely mares, willing to bend over backwards to help me adjust. I had my house that hasn’t failed to provide comfort, even that one time in the basement against the cool stone floor.

I even have a pretty nice job, which I returned to as soon as Dashie thought I was ready. She said I was ready just after Winter Wrap Up, just so I didn’t have to pull double-time on the clock and preparing for spring. That being said, I didn’t forget my plans and I took the first opportunity I had to swipe the sports car’s key without anyone seeing me and darted over to the boutique.

*****

“Nopony saw you,” muttered Rarity one dark, moonlit night.

“Of course not,” I replied.

“Do you have it?”

I revealed a small pouch I had hidden under my wing. “How long are you willing to help me tonight?”

Rarity stepped away to let me in and shut the door behind me, the bag with the key wrapped in her magic. “A few hours, but Twilight tried to figure out what you’ve been up to over the last few weeks. She doesn’t know you’re coming here if that’s that you’re thinking, but she knows you’re coming into town.”

“Then we should wrap this up quickly,” I smiled and withdrew the simple bands of silver and a lock of my mane from a drawer. “At least I know I can trust you with this little secret Rare.”

Rarity came up beside me as I set the trinkets on a table. “A key,” she said as she slipped it out of the pouch. “What’s so special about this key?”

“It’s the key to my sports car; we always went out in it back on Earth.” I smiled. “She loved the speed and I loved the way she looked with the wind in her mane while sitting beside me.”

Rarity giggled and set the key down in the middle of my materials. “I didn’t expect your choice to be this small. Nevertheless, I have a few ideas for you.”

“I was thinking of weaving the bands through the slot on the top of the key and wrapping the threads of my mane along them. From there we can just add a little clasp and that’s that.”

“That was my idea,” she pouted.

I glanced over to her, a smirk upon my muzzle. “You know what they say about great minds right?”

Rarity nodded. “Can we do some decorative work at least?”

“Of course,” I replied happily, “anything to make it look spectacular.”

*****

By the time I returned home, it was nearing on one in the morning. I creaked the front door open as quietly as I could, but soon found myself face to face with Twilight at the other end of the front hall.

She glared at me and quietly closed the door with her magic. “And just where have you been sneaking off to,” she hissed.

I merely smiled. “It’s a secret. However, you’ll find out on Saturday evening. It’s about something special I want to say over dinner at Ceviche.”

Twilight’s glare didn’t waver, though I know I could see curiosity overwhelming her anger. “Alright, but I don’t want you in bed with us tonight. Rainbow isn’t as angry as I am, but I want you to know she is.”

“So is it for my safety or because you’re both mad at me?”

Twilight didn’t even give me the courtesy of an answer as she headed upstairs.

I sighed and retreated to the third floor to sleep alone. I knew deep down that they’d change their minds by dinner at their favorite restaurant.

*****

I didn’t want either of them to uncover their gifts so I left them under Rarity’s watchful eye. It’s not like I didn’t trust them, I just wanted to surprise them. Saturday was something very special to me: it was a little before Hearts and Hooves Day, which I wanted to avoid proposing on that day for several clichéd reasons.

“Let’s face it, you’d think those two would have more faith in me,” I said to Fluttershy that Tuesday over a massage.

“Is… is it about that thing you told me about,” she replied.

“Yes darling but I keep asking you why you won’t just wait for Hearts and Hooves Day,” interjected Rarity from a short ways away with her mask being applied carefully by Aloe. “That is the most romantic day of the year after all.”

I squirmed at a sudden jolt of pressure at the base of my wing. “That’s overdone Rarity and you have to admit even Dashie would see it coming a mile away.”

Fluttershy cleared her throat and managed to draw my eyes once more. “Aren’t there better places to do it than Ceviche?”

“I’m not exactly getting paid a ton this month and Spike’s just overjoyed that new gem store in Canterlot does delivery all the way out here. Then there’s Twi’s stipend cut, it’s not good if they take it how I hope they do.” Princess Celestia had cut Twilight’s stipend some after she caught wind that I had fully adjusted to my new body.

“Well, you can always count on Pinkie if they say yes,” commented Lotus as she dug her hooves into my back a little harder than she probably intended.

I glanced over to Rarity, her eyes now covered by slices of cucumber. “What about you Rare?”

Rarity sighed. “It depends on how much I have to work. It’s bad enough doing as many wedding orders that I get this time of the year. Wedding dresses for two of my friends, especially those two, will be daunting. What about making it all work together? It will be a nightmare if I get any more orders.”

“I’ll um,” Fluttershy’s soft voice drew my attention, “I’ll try to get my choir ready if that helps.”

“Thanks Fluttershy,” I said calmly. “Any help is something I’d love.”

*****

At least Twilight and Rainbow calmed down enough to let me back into our bed Wednesday night. Unlike Twilight, who still didn’t seem too forgiving whenever I looked at her, Rainbow was all for making up.

“Twi, it’s not worth it without everypony,” Rainbow whined as she leaned over me.

Twilight simply replied by tightening her grip on the covers.

“Aww c’mon, I forgive Al and so should you. Face it, Ceviche’s the ritziest place we can afford on our budget right now.”

“Good night Rainbow,” Twilight said sternly.

“Al, can we go upstairs?” Even in the dark, I could see Dashie’s pleading look.

I gave her a soft kiss. “You were right; it’s not the same without all of us. Our hearts pounding and the pheromones pulsing, it isn’t the same without Twi.”

Dash flopped down on top of me and groaned. “Saturday better be worth it Al.”

I stroked her prismatic mane. “Don’t worry.” I reached out with my free hoof and tried to pull Twilight over but met with no success. I hope so, I silently added.

*****

When Saturday came around, I had already rehearsed the whole thing in my head countless times. Our reservations were at eight, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky, and Twilight was at least acting hospitable now. With how our budget was looking I was happy that there weren’t a lot of really romantic restaurants in Ponyville. I mean, we could’ve gone to Canterlot or someplace, but I wanted us to be here in Ponyville when I asked. Besides, it isn’t like we could afford a place in Canterlot anyways.

“Spike, you’ll be on your own for dinner,” I overheard from the bedroom’s adjoining bathroom.

“Aww come on Twi, we’re out of emeralds and I’m sick of leftovers. Couldn’t you have at least given me some bits so I could try and get some rubies for tonight?”

“Rainbow and I agree, much like your veggies, fish is very healthy for you. Besides, you know how rubies give you indigestion if they aren’t with anything else.”

“But Twi, we never ate fish before living here with Alex and Rainbow.”

“It’s rich in things that are good for you and you don’t want to be rude to Rainbow do you?”

“Well no, but what about Alex?”

I set Twilight’s ring and my gift for Rainbow on the counter and quickly put my ear to the wall. I longed to hear her answer, praying to everything that she wouldn’t push me to regret the bits I spent on the ring.

“I don’t know, Alex-he’s just well… he’s up to something but I’m afraid that he’s seeing somepony behind our backs.”

I sighed and creaked open the bathroom door. “Why would I Twi? Look, I know I’ve been sneaking out a few nights, but you have to believe me it was for something really important.” I also knew that if I was dealing with Dashie I could edge closer to the reason, but Twilight was brooding over it enough as is. “Just trust me on this okay?”

Twilight bit her lip but nodded. “Can I use the bathroom now Alex?”

I gave her a warm smile. “Let me just put my toothbrush away and it’s all yours.” In reality, I’d be sneaking my proposal gifts under my wing long enough to get dressed.

*****

Rarity prepared something nice for me, especially nice for such a rush job. To my left was Twilight, dressed in a nice red dress. Opposite her was Rainbow with her mane pulled back and wearing a sparkling deep blue dress that caught the light from the setting sun perfectly. With my mane pulled back and my sleek black coat I felt suddenly aware of just how overdressed we were. Ponies that regularly went to Ceviche didn’t exactly dress up, but it was the best in our price range.

The ponies out on the patio shot us strange looks, many of them wearing nothing at all. Only after entering did we find a pony as dressed up as us: Rarity. She was leading another unicorn out of the restaurant, one that seemed mesmerized at his luck of being with her.

I give him through the weekend, I thought as I tried my hardest to keep my composure in the presence of the master of the one night stand.

As Rarity passed me, I heard the barest whisper from her lips. “Good luck.”

I smiled as we passed each other and I made my way up to the hostess. “Ah, you’re right on time,” she said pleasantly. “Everything’s all ready for you so if you’ll all follow me.”

She led us to a nice table overlooking the slowly rising moon, Rainbow and Twilight sitting opposite of me. Even if Rainbow already was willing to forgive me, her choice in the seating arrangements begged to differ.

*****

About halfway through my entrée, I rose from my seat and came around between Twilight and Rainbow. “Girls, there’s something really important I want to say.”

They exchanged skeptical unamused glances. “Oh come on,” grumbled Dashie, “dragging us all the way out here. You’ve gotta be dumping somepony.”

“Out here would be good,” Twilight analyzed, “making sure we don’t make a scene in front of everypony.”

I shook my head slowly as I tried to keep myself together. “Twilight Sparkle,” I said as I showed her the golden band I selected weeks prior, “will you marry me?” I caught Rainbow’s glance as her mouth dropped and oozed a bit of food onto her napkin.

“All this time,” Twilight said in a weak voice, “this is what you’ve been up to.” I simply nodded in response, eager to hear her answer. She levitated the ring up and let it slide in place on her horn. “Of course I will.”

My glance shifted towards Rainbow. “Rainbow Dash,” I showed her my labor of love but she stopped me from asking as she practically leapt from her seat to wrap me in a tight hug.

“Yeah fuzzy ears,” she said before giving me a quick noogie, “course I’ll marry you!”

As soon as the words escaped her mouth, Twilight joined her in squeezing the life out of me. Despite them, I could hear only the other patrons’ applause. To everypony else I may just have been formerly a human and both Twilight and Dashie may have been known as bearers of two of the Elements of Harmony. As I draped my wings around them however, I thought about nothing but the fact that they said yes. We would have to commit our spare funds for quite a while on the preparations for our wedding, not to mention the subsequent honeymoon. I was hoping for some charity on the side of our friends though.

“Now I really gotta drag you both to see my mom and dad,” said Rainbow with a little sniffle.

“Are you crying Rainbow,” commented Twilight as she began to loosen her grip under my wing joint.

“No way,” replied Rainbow as she gave me a tighter tug. “You owe us for earlier though,” she added to Twilight in a hushed voice.

I never doubted Dashie to forgive Twilight for giving us the cold shoulder earlier. Well, okay I doubted it for a little bit.