• Published 24th Apr 2012
  • 4,096 Views, 184 Comments

Ponies on Bronies - Ravenmane



Shenanigans return to a familiar house that sits on a hill overlooking the Everfree Forest

  • ...
15
 184
 4,096

23 - The Train Ride

Late on Hearth’s Warming Eve, a train departed Canterlot. Most of the cars were dark, their occupants either non-existent or asleep. The very center car however, still had one compartment lit. Somepony was still awake. There were three ponies cast under the illumination: one pegasus with a prismatic mane, one unicorn with a six pointed star cutiemark, and a third that was fast asleep. This third pony was different from the others, his leathery wings and periodically flicking fuzzy ears told that he was unlike any normal pony.

“Al spent all of dinner under your mom’s watch,” commented Rainbow Dash.

“I know,” replied Twilight, “but after we explained everything I couldn’t help you defend him a lot. I mean, you saw the looks my dad was giving me.”

Alex slept peacefully as the two continued talking.

Twilight smiled. “You know, I don’t really see why they’re so dark and spooky.”

“I know, I mean, my dad told me bedtime stories about them being all sinister and evil and stuff but he’s still Al.”

“I never really read much about Nocturne ponies. I found them mentioned in a book once and asked Princess Celestia about them when all it had to say was that they were considered unlucky and shunned. She told me that they are just like everypony else. They’re only scary if you don’t open your heart and see them for who they are: our fuzzy eared relatives.”

“Uh Twi, you wouldn’t be saying that if Al turned into a normal pony would you?”

“Seeing the episode that introduced Zecora, it reminded me that we can all be a bit close minded; that we all overreacted and didn’t treat something new and kind as anypony else. Seeing him, like this, it’s just the nail in the coffin; we need to be more open minded. Have you thought about how you’ll teach him how to fly?”

“A bit, but can I borrow some books on bats from the library?”

“Maybe you should just talk to Fluttershy. I mean she takes care of bats right?”

“Yeah, but she’ll ask a ton of questions. What’ll I say if she gets scared when I tell her what it’s for?”

“Fine, I’ll ask and take notes. If that’s the case, she might trust me more.”

“No, lemmie give it a shot at least. It’s not like she’ll flip immediately.”

“If she doesn’t, do you think she’d help you more?”

“Not there Twilight,” Alex mumbled in his sleep, one of his forelegs batting something away as he rolled over.

“What’s he talking about Twi,” asked Rainbow to her reddening friend.

“We uh, we fooled around a little while you were on weather detail one day,” explained Twilight. “He had this really sensitive spot right below his jaw.”

“Oh, I know that spot, a little over to the right of his throat right?”

“Yeah and-wait you didn’t… did you?”

“Hey, you were off spending time with Rarity and I was a little needy. So, we’re even now right?”

Twilight glared at Rainbow, but nodded. “Since he gave Spike the talk then yes, we’re even.” For once in her life, Twilight saw more than just a hint in the pegasus’ logic.

Alex flopped around a bit more on their bed before fumbling out and onto the floor. “Ow,” he said as he rubbed his head, “something up?”

“Yeah,” replied Rainbow as she helped him back into bed, “you are fuzzy ears.”

“We should all get some sleep while we can,” commented Twilight. “The last thing we want to do is show up in Ponyville and collapse from exhaustion at the train station in this weather.” She pointed a hoof out the window, revealing the heavy storm outside.

“Maybe with some company in bed you won’t be so restless.”

As snow continued to fall outside, the last light in the passenger cars flickered out; snuffed by a violet magical aura. The three ponies, bound for the town at the bottom of the valley, slumbered in the largest bed they could manage. Unfortunately, it-

“Hey get off my wing,” shouted Rainbow.

It-

“Sorry,” replied Alex.

It wasn’t the most comfortable for three ponies…