• Published 5th Jul 2014
  • 7,831 Views, 540 Comments

The Halfling - Scarheart



On a clear night, a certain changeling mother makes her way while under hot pursuit to the newly built Temple of the Sun in the Crystal Empire. Her kingdom is shattered, her loyal followers are few and scattered. What does she want?

  • ...
31
 540
 7,831

8. Surprise Party

Edited by DJ_Neon_Lights (formerly shadow blades), iakovl, and Magic Man.

Reign appeared properly surprised as he always tried to keep his promises he made to his best friend. Now he understood why there had only been one sandwich. One mustn’t spoil his appetite when cake and ice cream awaited!

“Happy birthday, son,” greeted Shining Armor with a broad grin. His horn was aglow and a party hat plopped on Reign’s head with a wink and a release of magic. The big stallion trotted up to his boy and mussed his mane with a hoof. He leaned down and whispered, “You knew, didn’t you?”

Sheepishly, his son grinned back.

“He’s surprised!” Maggie blurted, right in Reign’s other ear. The colt yelped, flinching away from the filly and glaring at her.

“A little louder, Mags,” he complained. “I can still hear out of the other one.”

“The party’s young!” she promised with a wicked little smile.

Shining chuckled. “Enough, you two.” He was very happy Reign had a friend like Maggie, though her magic bond to him felt unnatural. It always had. Five years ago, he had no idea the final favor Zeala wanted was to bond this filly with his son. She had done it so quickly, before either he or his wife could stop her.

The priestess nearly found herself blasted on the spot when she cast the spell, binding Reign Cloud with Maggie. It was a spell, she declared, to bind the filly to the colt as his protector, much as those elite guards were bound to a queen. It ensured loyalty and unquestioning obedience, always looking out for the best interests of the Royal they were bound to. Such a thing horrified the rulers of the Crystal Empire, as it seemed no better than slavery to them.

The changelings viewed it differently, as a Bonding was one of the greatest honors a common changeling could ever have bestowed upon them. Such a gift, Zeala reasoned, would eventually endow Maggie with magic capabilities beyond that of a normal changeling. She would be bigger, faster, and stronger, on par with the average Royal.

Maggie was essentially a bodyguard for life and she made it a point to make sure Reign knew it with every giggle and smile.

This confused the colt greatly.

Confounded by a filly who was both his friend and his nemesis, Reign sniffed the air, his eyes and ears aiding in his impromptu search. Rising to his hooves, he threw a half-hearted grin at his father and trotted into the abyss that was his own birthday party. “Momma, did Aunt Celestia and Aunt Luna come?” he asked Cadence before offering a light nuzzle.

The alicorn sighed. “I’m sorry, but they couldn’t make it, sweetie.” She returned the gesture, following it up with a nudge. “Your Aunt Twilight is here. Come!” A great pink wing unfolded out and gently behind the colt, scooting him onward towards a table set within the heart of one of the most beautiful creations of magic in all of Ponydom.

Though the garden itself was small by the standards expected by the nobility, this was actually one of the few artifacts King Sombra had created before his descent into madness a thousand years ago. The Gardens of Reflections were once a place where the ancient king was said to have spent countless hours in quiet contemplation with his family. It was a place of joy and peace; sealed and abandoned soon after the fell king became a shadow of evil. Once the lone gates to the garden were sealed shut, only a pair of while columns marked where they were.

The rest of the garden became immersed in a grand illusion of beauty. It was an appreciation of the magical arts and the creative mastery of love manifested into physical reality. The walls disappeared, replaced with a view atop an imaginary mesa in a land unknown to ponykind. The skies matched whatever desire of a sky was fancied by the master of the castle.

It shone a bright, cheery spring day, far warmer than the northern climate. The skies danced with cheery, fluffy clouds, white puffs against perfect azure skies. Princess Cadence found it reminded her of Canterlot, before she ascended to an alicorn. A bright sun warmed the lovely flora of the gardens; rose bushes, ammonites, daffodils, violets, parsnips, peppermint plants, lilacs, and countless other flowering plants and herbs Reign could not name off the top of his head. Birds imported from around the world lived among the greenery.

Soft chimes sang in a gentle breeze constantly flowing through an area half the size of a hoofball field. Around the magical mesa was a view of stunning proportions. To the north, a vast mountain range rose majestically, with snow-capped peaks kissing gently the skies along the horizon. To the east lay an endless forest of gentle trees beneath a sea of rustling leaves. West lay rolling plains with a great meandering river glinting in the light of the sun. Lastly lay the south, home to the hills from whence the breeze came, said to be the songs sung by breezies returning the kindness of all the centuries of aid given to their neverending cycles of migration.

Cadence had gone all-out in preparing the garden for Reign’s tenth birthday party. He decided then and there as he took in the view in awed silence she was the most amazing mother any foal could ask for.

“Momma?”

“Yes, dear?”

“It looks so cool!” he blurted, his aches temporarily forgotten as his heart swelled.

Maggie let out an impressed whistle. “Wow, Cadence, you really made this place look amazing!” She was considered family and was allowed to drop formalities with the princess. The changeling had no qualms in that regard.

“The hard part was figuring out how the illusion spells could be tapped into,” admitted the alicorn modestly. “But enough about the garden. Let’s get this party going, shall we?”

“There he is!” called a voice Reign was vaguely familiar with. It took a moment as a lavender aura surrounded him, hoisted his hooves off the ground, and whisked him into the open hooves of purple. “I missed you so much!” cooed the owner of the hooves.

“Aunt Twilight!” Reign squeaked as he was hugged lovingly by another alicorn.

Princess Twilight Sparkle, Lady of Magic, Egghead, and Devourer of Books (metaphorically) embraced her nephew like it had been years since she had last seen him. This was true. Having her own responsibilities and her neverending research into...everything, kept her busy. Reign returned the hug reluctantly as he was having the life squished from him.

“Hug...too...tight…” he wheezed.

She released him, grinning sheepishly. “Sorry, got excited.”

“I want a hug!” Suddenly Maggie flew into Reign and shouldered him aside. She grinned shamelessly up at Twilight, holding her hooves out to the startled mare. “I want you to love me!”

A deeper, multilayered voice erupted in a scolding. “Maggie! Behave yourself, youngling!” Just beyond Twilight was a large and imposing figure the filly knew all too well.

“Momma!” she chirped, bounding over Twilight (startling her again) and flinging herself into a massive changeling’s neck. “I’ve missed you soooo much, Momma!”

Reign Cloud blinked and stared at the giant that dwarfed both his mother and father. The mare was as tall as Celestia, and at least twice as wide. It was easily the largest changeling he had ever seen, making Zeala look like a toothpick. Her mass was impressive and her fangs put a tiger’s to shame. Her mane hung over both shoulders, partially concealing her wicked, yet soft, eyes. Her chitin was touched with splotches of gray, the only indication of her middling age. Interestingly, she wore plain saddlebags.

Reign didn’t have to guess who this changeling was. Maggie spoke of the giant many times and was always both proud and frightened of her.

It was Wilda, Maggie’s foster mother.

She was a brood mother; a changeling mare who raised many hatchlings as it was the instinct to breed that drove them. Such mares were rare, but in ancient times, they were coveted above all other common changelings. The instinct to reproduce was strong and Wilda had forgotten her promise at stopping at eight. Rather, she dismissed it, much to the delight of Yamir, her husband. The number of eggs laid since Maggie came under her care had increased by four since.

The mare crushed the filly to her chest, settling on her haunches as she rocked Maggie in her grasp. “You’re always a delight to me, child,” Wilda told her warmly. “Nothing but pride to my heart and happiness to my soul. Your brothers and sisters miss you.”

They broke apart, Maggie fluttering on her wings.

“But mama, I was home last week!”

Gently the big mare pushed her daughter aside so she could see the prince. “Ah, it is good to see you, little prince,” Wilda said with a smirk. It was a terrifying smirk.

“Oh!” Twilight cried, “I was just learning so much about changeling culture! Wilda has been a big help in answering some of my questions!” She beamed up at the changeling who nodded politely at the alicorn.

“I came to wish you a happy birthday, Reign.” Wilda inclined her head to the young prince who was grinning at the changeling.

“You’re so biiiig!” breathed the colt.

She lowered her head to his level. “And you’re so small.”

“Mama!” Maggie glared at her mother in shock.

“Reign, rude!” admonished Cadence sharply.

Shining Armor suppressed a snicker poorly.

Twilight hovered a hoof over her mouth as she immediately began to imagine the ramifications of a feud erupting right before her eyes. Though she had matured greatly, she was still prone to panic attacks even after so many years growing into her role as Equestria’s newest princess. Her latest was a faux pas she imagined had happened with one of the griffon generals on a visit to Canterlot just this past year. Surely, if Reign felt threatened or if Wilda felt insulted, Twilight wasn’t sure how it would play out as anything good.

Wilda simply laughed and scooped the suddenly startled colt, who yelped, and hugged him to her bosom like he was one of her own. “I should take you to my home and feed you with my hatchlings,” she said as she snuggled with a wide-eyed Reign Cloud.

“I’m afraid his health would not allow for such a trip,” Cadence lamented, not at all willing to let her son set a hoof beyond the castle walls.

“Truly? That’s a shame,” sighed Wilda, setting the colt down. Reign wobbled uncertainly on his hooves before Maggie steadied him with a giggle. “My hatchlings would adore him. I would make sure they do.”

Maggie rolled her eyes. “Silly colt. Stay out of Mama’s reach unless you can take her hugs of death. You know that! Silly, silly Reign.”

“Yeah. Sure.” Reign glared at his mother because of her statement. Her concern for him lapped at his mind. It frustrated him. Why couldn’t he go out? Why couldn’t he see the city and the land and the citizens of the Crystal Empire? Countless times his mother gave the reason; it was always the same. He was simply too weak his physical limitations affirmed her belief.

Cadence, meanwhile, had come beside him and placed a motherly hoof on his shoulder. He nearly flinched, but could feel nothing but love coming from her. It was so confusing! Was she smothering him or was she right in protecting him? Anger welled within him, which Wilda and Maggie both noticed. Cadence did not.

“I brought a gift,” announced the changeling mare, shifting her attention to the princess apologetically. “I did not know if it was appropriate to do so. Your pony customs are still something I cannot fathom.” Her eyes glinted with a mix of merriment and seriousness.

Cadence beamed. “Oh, it’s perfectly all right!”

The changeling smiled and nodded, again with politeness. Like Zeala, her smile was terrifying to see. However, her smile looked and felt genuine, whereas the priestess always seemed to have something hidden behind hers. There was a difference between looking at a content lioness or a laughing hyena.

Reign felt safe around the broodmare and ruffled his feathers contentedly to show it.

Cadence smiled. “Not going to bite this guest, are you?” she teased.

Wilda arched a brow. “Oh?” her ears swiveled upon the prince. “I have larger fangs and he knows it.”

“Busted,” sighed the filly, splaying her ears out as Reign was suddenly glaring at her.

“I get angry sometimes,” admitted Reign with shame, staring at the grass beneath his hooves.

“Is he still having those episodes you wrote me about?” Twilight asked, having observed the colt interact with the brood mother. A soft smile flared across her muzzle before throwing the question at her sister-in-law.

Cadence nodded. “Yes, he is. It’s certainly not from his father’s side of the family. Your house has a reputation for sensible and even keeled ponies, hereditary panic attacks notwithstanding.” A sly grin appeared as she bumped her hip playfully into the other alicorn.

Reign sighed again. He was doing that a lot. Did he have panic attacks? He didn’t think so. He was expected to be a good colt and do his best in his lessons. The colt was supposed to pay attention to the adults tasked with tutoring him. Most of all, he was tasked with keeping his temper in check and to not overexert himself.

Right now, his heart pounded in his chest as he felt a gladness swelling in his heart. Despite the words meant to tease him, there was nothing but good emotions coming from the small gathering of well-wishers. He imagined Wilda would love nothing more than to swoop him up in her hooves, take him to her home, and feed him. The concern he felt from her had to do with his rather scrawny size.

Maggie simply laughed at him. “You’re so easy to read, Reigny.”

“Maggie, enough,” chided her mother sternly.

“Sorry.”

“No you’re not.”

“No, I’m not.” Maggie agreed as she grinned up at her mother. She was bopped on the nose.

“Silly filly.”

Everypony laughed except for Reign Cloud, who simply rolled his eyes.

The walls flickered, the illusion interrupted as a pair of ponies joined the party. Father Sun Cloud (Reign was assured he was of no relation) and Preceptor Starcaller filed in, each one bearing a gift as they glared at each other from some sort of argument between the two. The ancient unicorn and warlike pegasus shifted immediately to expressions befitting the joyous occasion. “Happy birthday, Prince Reign Cloud!” they chorused.

Wilda sighed. “I hope they don’t try to convert me.”

Reign gave her an odd look. Maggie noticed, leaned over to him and whispered, “She’s agnostic. Organized religion makes her cranky. I told you.”

“No, you didn’t.”

“Hush children,” growled Wilda softly. “Be polite and respect these ponies. Treat them as you would the childish elderly.”

“Yes, mama,” sighed Maggie.

Again, Reign rolled his eyes. Rising to his hooves, he trotted to the newcomers, a practiced smile formed. Cadence had taught him how to behave around honored guests and with her watching him, he would not dare disappoint her. Disappointing his mother tore at his heart, so he did his best to be a good colt, even if his temper sometimes got the better of him.

Which was often.

He greeted the newcomers, already feeling wobbly from exerting his shallow reserves of energy. “Father! Preceptor! I’m so glad you could come!”

“I apologize we were late for your surprise party,” said Sun with a grandfatherly smile. “We had a disagreement on the time.” A meaningful glance was thrown at Starcaller.

“He overslept,” supplied the elderly mare. She rarely smiled, if ever. Nor had Reign ever heard of the mare getting angry. Starcaller also said little. Reign suddenly had a small gift pressed into his hooves. “Open it.”

He turned over his shoulder and gave Cadence a hopeful look. She smiled, waving an encouraging hoof at him.

Twilight tittered next to her. “That look! Do you have a camera, Cadence?”

Cadence said smugly, “I’ll have pictures galore Celestia and Luna will absolutely love to see!” She tossed her horn above them, drawing all eyes to seeing a camera in the grasp of a professional photographer, a pegasus. “I’m planning on making a small album with a few pictures to send them, then make a larger one as a Hearth’s Warming gift with other pictures I’ll compile for them.” She squeed, clapping her forehooves together. “I get goosebumps thinking about it!”

The princess was obsessed about having pictures of her boy. One day, he would have to leave the nest, leaving his poor, poor mother alone with his hoofball-crazed father. She had told the colt many times before, while sniffling and cuddling the life out of him.

Creepy

He tore open the little package, the expertly done wrapping shredded from a combination of fangs and hooves. It was a small wooden box, engraved with Luna’s cutie mark on the top. He lifted the lid and was greeted by a silvery dagger in an ebon sheath. It too bore the Night Princess’ mark.

“A Night Dagger!” Reign chirped happily. He smiled hugely up at the stoic mare. “Thank you!” On impulse, he threw himself at her for a hug. The elderly mare was somewhat taken aback by the action, but returned the gesture, her face as impassive as ever. When he was set down, the prince gave her a funny look. “You’re wearing chainmail?” he asked her curiously.

“Part of my habit,” she replied with a shrug.

“She even bathes in it,” muttered Sun Cloud, earning a glare from the mare.

“You would know,” retorted Starcaller coolly.

“What does that mean?” Reign asked curiously.

Shining Armor clamped his hooves over his son’s ears. “Really?” he said, giving the two holy ponies a pained expression. “Of all ponies to bring up such a subject...you two?”

“My apologies,” suffered Sun wanely. “It sort of happened.”

“Can you keep it between the two of you? And no one else?”

Starcaller adjusted her wings and nodded, completely unaffected by the conversation. “Make sure your son doesn’t cut—”

“Ouch!” Reign cried, holding up a nicked hoof. A thin line of blood formed on his fetlock. The shiny new dagger was in his other hoof.

“Eh, nevermind.”

“Shining!” shouted Cadence, her maternal instincts in full bloom the moment Reign’s self-inflicted wound was made known.

She teleported fifteen feet to her little colt, immediately examining the wound while taking the knife, sheathing it, placing it in its box, and shoving it gently into her husband’s hooves.

“Put this somewhere safe.” Her horn was already glowing as a healing spell was applied to a wound barely rated above that of a paper cut. “Honestly, Perceptor, a knife for a colt his age? A bit young, don’t you think?”

The gray pegasus gave the princess a raised eyebrow. “Had one when I was five.”

“Well, he’s not you. He can have the knife back when he’s older. Thank you for the lovely gift. Reign, what do you say?”

Embarrassed by his mother’s clucking, Reign could only mumble his thanks again, not wanting to correct his mother. Starcaller patted him on the head and made a beeline for the cake. Cadence seemed to forget the colt had already thanked the Preceptor, but she was satisfied.

“Here’s my gift,” said Sun Cloud modestly. “It’s not as dangerous as the Preceptor’s, I assure you.” He handed Reign a package wrapped in simple cloth. “It was something I felt would be interesting, considering your love of history, young prince.”

History? Reign’s ears perked up as he accepted the gift. It was shaped like a book. He did so love books (though admittedly not to the extent of Aunt Twilight). Sure enough, the wrapping fell away and revealed the dark brown cover of a rather thick novel. There was no title on the front, but the spine bore the words DAY OF THE CHANGELINGS.

“It’s a first edition, just published. Detailed accounts from the attack on Canterlot.” The priest spoke as Reign leafed through the pages and the chapters with rapt awe. “It’s everything possibly known, as well as the results of eight years of investigations, fact-finding, scrutiny, opinions and what have you.” He seemed rather pleased with himself.

Cadence’s smile at the Father fell as he went on. “No, it’s not like a knife at all,” she said diplomatically. Gently she plucked it from Reign’s grasp, despite his protest and sourpuss face. “You can read that when you’re older, Reign,” she told him. “What do you say?”

He sighed. “Thank you, Father Sun Cloud.”

“I hope I have not offended,” worried the old unicorn. “It’s perfectly unbiased and filled with only facts. I know the child’s love for truthful literature and thought it would be nice gift.”

“It’s not that, Father,” Cadence offered with a small smile, “but there are certain things my husband and I have not spoken to our son about in regards to...certain facts. He knows who his birth mother is, but little in regards to the violence following his...well, you know.”

“Ah, I see. I could get the prince something else.”

“No! The gift is perfectly fine! Reign simply is too young for it. I want to see the contents myself before I decide if he should have it.”

“I’m right here,” muttered the colt indignantly.

Cadence smiled down at him. “I’m just doing what’s best for you.” She nuzzled him briefly as the book was telekinetically moved into his father’s grasp. “Shining!”

“Yes, dear.” The book joined the knife.

Reign pouted at his mother, using his ‘biggest eyes’ impression to go along with his quivering lower lip.

“Don’t be that way, Reign,” she sighed, draping a wing over him. “It’s your birthday. There are lots of other presents you can open. Why don’t we see what Twilight brought you?”

It did brighten his mood a bit more. Twilight always brought something nice. Last year it was a model airship. It hung from the ceiling in his room. “Okay,” he said.

Twilight was chatting quietly with Wilda as the two had been watching with amusement the prince opening his two gifts. The princess accepted the simple but odd genuflections from the pair, not at all used to being regarded as a goddess since her ascension. Reign heard somewhere she was bound and determined to not allow any temples to be built to worship her. The very idea embarrassed her to no end.

The small gathering came together at the table, chatting with each other. Reign could feel the emotions, some better controlled than others. For the most part, there was happiness for him, pride, even satisfaction. The colt wasn’t very good at pinpointing the source of individual emotions, not like Maggie or Wilda. He was certain those two could probably sit down and give him detailed accounts of who felt what for whatever reason.

Underlying all of the positives was a sense of worry and helplessness. Reign understood those, as they were constantly in the back of his thoughts.

This was a good day for the prince. It was relaxing, fun, and didn’t tax his body too terribly. Tomorrow would be the day the city would celebrate his birthday. Reign would be sitting on a small throne for several hours handing out gifts to other foals and fillies, an idea of his mother’s to give back to the citizens and create some good publicity. He was disappointed his grandparents weren’t here, but they would arrive tomorrow and spoil him accordingly. Aunt Celestia and Aunt Luna would be in the next morning as well. A nuzzle from Aunt Twilight and a rib-crushing hug from Wilda announced the last of the guests were on their way out.

Reign would see them all again tomorrow at his public birthday party.

For the first time in a decade, the griffons were re-opening diplomatic ties, it was rumored. Though Reign and Maggie were regarded as too young to participate in adult topics unavoidably worming its way into the quiet little celebration, they listened in. Wilda didn’t seem to care much for the lion birds. Apparently there was a lot of bad blood between her kind and griffons. Reign’s aunts had moved the meeting to the Crystal Empire because of its closer proximity to griffon territory.

One thing became abundantly clear as the conversation unfolded.

Reign Cloud was going to see his first griffon tomorrow!

Towards the end of the party, as the guests began to head for home after wishing the prince a wonderful birthday, Cadence drew her son aside. She drew a wing over his shoulder and pulled him in close, assuming a very serious but gentle tone.

“Be on your best behavior tomorrow, my little biter,” she told him. “Griffons will not take well to being bitten. After dinner, I’ll be in your room to go over proper etiquette when dealing with them. You’ll probably meet the ambassador’s daughter. She’s about your age, maybe a little older. Make a friend! Can you do that for me, Reign?”

Shining Armor joined the conversation. “He’ll be fine, Cady,” he said to her, smiling proudly at his son.

“I’ll be good,” promised Reign, giving his best smile. He hated disappointing his mother and father. “Maggie will be there.”

Servants were beginning to clean up the mess.

“Did you like the gifts?” Shining asked.

Reign beamed at his father. “Yeah. I really like the telescope Aunt Twilight gave me! Now I can look at the stars Aunt Woona puts up every night!”

His father winced. “If I called her that, she’d put me on her moon. I don’t know how you get away with it, kiddo.”

“I’d like to see what it’s like on the moon,” Reign sighed. “I wonder if there’s any pain there if you’re put in it.” He immediately wished he had kept his mouth shut as his father glared at him sharply.

“What talk is this?” he growled, thumping his son with a hoof to a shoulder. “You shouldn’t talk like that, Reign.”

“There’s no cure for me, is there?” The young prince was suddenly glum. All of his happiness drained away, replaced by the gray despair. “I mean, nothing Aunt Twilight has tried has worked.”

“None of that, Reign!” Shining shook his son. “You are going to be around for a long time. You’re going to become a stallion in your own right and you’re going to be a good pony! If there’s anything life’s taught me, it’s to never give up.”

Cadence caught only part of the conversation. “Life’s also taught you to throw your wife at falling dragons,” she said with a giggle. “I want the three of us to stay here a little bit longer.” The princess’ smile faded a little, her eyes falling upon Reign. He squirmed under her stare, looking uncomfortable. “Your father is right. Never give up.”

Maggie hopped up, bumping into Reign’s side. Twilight followed behind her, shaking her head at the rambunctious filly. Wilda was at her tail, licking bits of frosting from her fangs and lips. The two heads of the Temples had already departed. Upon reflection, it was a pathetically small celebration.

Reign wished his other aunts could have made it, even Grandmother and Grandfather. There was little he believed in, but his family was his core for everything that meant anything to him. Oddly enough, even Wilda could be included.

“Might I borrow Maggie for a while?” asked the giant changeling mare. She was still trying to attack bits of frosting, her long, black tongue darting at the affected lip. “I want to spend some time with her.” She drew up alongside the filly and blinked expectantly.

“Of course, take as much time as you need. You’re welcome to stay for dinner,” Cadence offered.

Wilda bobbed her snout. “Accepted! I’ve been sensing his moods,” —she gave Reign a flick of her ear— “I’d like to get a feel for his swings myself. Hearing second hand accounts from my daughter here over the past few months has me curious.”

Reign sighed for the upteenth time today. “Really?” he muttered.

Maggie suddenly filled his vision. “Yep! Really!” Confusion filled her thoughts. “What are we talking about?”

“So,” Twilight said, clearing her throat. “Tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow!” parroted Cadence, brightening. “Tomorrow, my aunts will be here and they’ll be wanting to see you, Reign and wish you a happy birthday. I’m so sorry they couldn’t be here tonight, but some last minute things came up.”

Wilda began to step away from the group. “I’m off. Maggie! Come, girl.” Her tone was gentle as she spoke to the filly. Maggie chirped happily and followed, after waving enthusiastically at everypony.

“See you tomorrow!”

Reign gave her a half-hearted wave. Freedom! Sweet freedom!

...until tomorrow.

“Thanks again, Aunt Twilight,” he said to the alicorn, pushing Maggie out of this thoughts. “Does Luna keep star charts for specific nights? I can’t remember if each night is unique or if she follows a pattern.”

“You’re changing the subject,” his aunt noted. “What’s wrong?”

Reign searched about and noted the photographer idly packing his things into a case. He was done and had helped himself to some cake. He gave his mother a pleading look. She smiled and trotted over to the pegasus, cheerfully thanking him for his efforts and helping him with his equipment. She even gave him another slice of cake before escorting him from the garden. She soon returned, bringing with her a glass of fruit punch with her magic. She gave it to her son, laying down in the grass and beckoning him to join her.

He fell in beside her with no grace, flopping on his belly and sprawling out his hind legs. The prince sipped his drink, his forelegs folded over each other with the glass between them. “What happens when the medicine is gone?” Reign asked into his glass. “Nothing’s worked. I do nothing but hurt, Momma. I’m tired of hurting. I always hurt. Why do I always hurt? Did I do something wrong? Is it because I’m a bad pony?”

The three adults looked at him in shock. Cadence grabbed him with her hooves and hauled him into a hug only mothers could pull off. Her motion and his flailing appendages knocked over his drink. Reign was mother smothered.

“Don’t you say such things!” she cried, nuzzling him fiercely. “Don’t you dare, my son, my only child! From the moment I laid eyes upon you, I loved you as my own flesh and blood.” Tears welled up, flowed down her cheeks before falling upon the startled colt. “There’s a way!”

Twilight cleared her throat, her own eyes misting and threatening to spill out. “I think there’s one sure way to get past this,” she said as diplomatically as possible. “The best I can come up with was one of the first theories I came up with years ago.” She sniffled, then took a deep breath. “B.B.B.F.F.?”

“Yes, Twily?” Shining was nuzzling his son when she asked for him. He was looking at her now. Reign was looking at her now, as well and awkwardly as he squirmed in his mother’s grasp.

“We need to find Chrysalis.”

Author's Note:

Aaaaaand here's the other half of the original chapter 7!

Questions? Comments? Free ponies?

Let me know!