• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 2,157 Views, 49 Comments

The Truth about Reapers - MineLittleDashie



A reaper is sent to Equestria to combat the multitude of monsters that hide there. However, he must overturn the legends ponies have created about his people, lest he be branded as a monster himself.

  • ...
6
 49
 2,157

Arrival and Introductions

Secret Location; June 6, 2013; 12:00 pm

I watched the engineers set up the final parts of something that looked suspiciously like the Stargate portal. I was dressed in my usual suit, had my scythe in its holster, and was carrying some necessities in a small satchel.

In a few minutes, I would be teleported to a world, that, until now, had been considered an extreme hazard to reapers. My mission? To help the inhabitants of this world bring the monster population under control. As to not be deceived on arrival, I had been informed that everything looked fine in Equestria. Many of the ponies didn't know about the monsters, as they (the monsters) mostly gathered in the few dark places that existed. However, they were still plentiful.

I wasn't nervous. I was fucking terrified! And not of the monsters, but of the rulers of the ponies, the ones responsible for the reapers leaving that world. They could destroy me with a thought, so I had to make sure I wasn't caught.

"Excuse me."

I snapped out of my thoughts, and turned to face the voice. Beside me stood a short, Asian looking man with a white suit.

"Excuse me." He repeated.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Are you George Douglas? The reaper chosen for this mission?"

"I am. And you are?"

At the confirmation of my name, his face broke out into a smile. "I am Thomas. I am your operator."

I started at his last words. 'Operator?! Oh, he means for the portal.' I reached down and shook his hand. "Pleasure to meet you."

He continued to smile. "Are you ready? We will be ready to transport in precisely 3 minutes. Please be ready."

I nodded several times in confirmation. The man nodded back and left. 'What a strange guy.'
------------
Roughly three minutes later, I found myself standing in front of the portal, which, if it really was the stargate, it's a lot smaller than it looked on TV.

Someone whistled at me. I turned around and saw the Asian in the white suit behind some kind of large computer. Once he saw that he had my attention, he smiled.

"You ready? Ready?"

I couldn't help but smile back. "I'm ready, how about you?"

"I was always ready." He said, before punching a few buttons.

There was a flash of light and the portal opened in a whirlpool fashion, starting at the four corners and swirling inward. I took a moment to make sure I still had everything with me, took a deep breath, and stepped into the portal. Instantly my body was gripped in a tingling sensation and I was pulled forward. I had to close my eyes, as all the flashing colors began to make my head hurt.
So with nothing else to do, I relaxed and let the mystic forces at work pull me to my destination.
--------------------------------------------------

Equestria; Day- ?; Time- ?

As suddenly as it started, it stopped. I cautiously opened an eye, then opened both in disbelief. The place where I stood looked like it had never been touched by war, famine, plague, or monsters for that matter. I know that back on Earth they said the place was deceiving, but this was beyond belief!

I stood on a grassy hill overlooking a field of flowers, the flowers themselves were a mixture of colors, making the field take on the appearance of a masterpiece painting. I could also see where the field ended at a cliff. Past the cliff was a marvalous valley with a river, plants, and with my enhanced eyesight, I could even make out the shapes of non-pony animals. The sun was shining, and there was a slight, cool breeze flowing through the air. If only I had a photographic memory, I would find inner peace everytime I remembered this place. I could stand here and stare at this sight forever.

"Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Once the ringing in my ears had subsided, I ran off in the direction that the scream had come from.

'Man whoever that is had better have a pretty damn good reason for disturbing my moment of peace.'
---------------------------------------------

Thanks to my natural reaper abilities, I was able to arrive at the scene merely seconds after the scream. What I found wasn't good. There was a yellow pony with a pink mane cowering from....... a banshee.

Shit.

I say this because banshees are one of the more difficult creatures to get rid of. Since they rely on their shrieking, which can paralyze someone without proper protection, one must cover the sound of the shrieking with some other kind of noise. I also hate them because I don't like fighting things that can't be killed with a swing of a scythe. Luckily I came prepared.

I reached into my satchel and pulled out my iPod and a pair of earplugs. I shoved the plugs into my ears, then cranked the iPod up to max volume and pushed play. As I was wearing heavy duty earplugs, I couldn't hear the song, but I was told this was the one.

(Make sure you play this at max volume to best simulate the experience)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QH2-TGUlwu4

The power struggle between my song and banshee's shrieks seemed to go on forever. (Did I mention that this banshee looked like a pony. Hah, funny.) However, eventually my iPod won out and its sound waves caused the banshee to disperse into nothing but a final resounding shriek. (It's really cool, you should see it sometime). Once I was certain that it was gone for good, I turned off my iPod and removed the earplugs, before turning to face the pony.

The first thing I noticed were the wings. I guess this was a pegasus. Her cutie mark, if I remember correctly, was three butterflies. I don't remember the color of those, but that's not important.

I reached down to calm her, only to have her shrink away from me with a quiet, "Eep!" I paused, confused, before realization set in. She was scared of me! Of course I couldn't blame her for that, but this was not the way to start out my mission! I had to befriend at least a few of the locals, or else it would be good-bye forever.

'God, already screwed up!'

I must have looked so downcast that even the pegasus knew something was wrong. After a moment, she stopped cowering and approached me cautiously.

"Um, excuse me, but may I ask what's wrong? I mean, if that's okay with you." She said, before hiding behind her mane.

I looked at her in surprise before letting out a 'depressed' sigh, "I have a job to do here in Equestria, but I need friends who can keep the locals from being too scared of me."

But on the inside, I was going 'Dawwwwwwwwwwww.'

She looked at me in surprise, and was silent for a moment before speaking. "Oh, s-so you're not going to eat me?"

I shook my head. "If that was the case, I wouldn't have saved you."

"Oh, well, thank you for saving me from that thing." She reached up on her hind legs and gave me a small hug, her head turned upward so I could see her large eyes staring up at me.

I nearly had an aneurism from pure adorableness.

"Oh no, you're bleeding! Here, take one of these!" She said, and pulled a hankechief out of one of her saddlebags. I gratefully accepted the gift. Maybe I had a chance after all.

"Thank you. Now, may I ask how you got caught up with a banshee?" I asked, wiping my nose.

The pegasus looked at me in surprise. "Oh is that what they're called? We just call them screamers."

I nodded thoughtfully. Whatever the natives wanted to call them was fine with me. Might as well learn the local names for everything while I'm here. Make my job easier.

The pegasus, Fluttershy I believe it was, went on to explain how she had been heading back to her home near a place called Ponyville, when she had run into the screamer/banshee. Basically a chance encounter, and a very unfortunate one at that. (For the banshee that is).

We chatted for a bit, I told her that I hunted monsters for a living. (I also had to convince her that I didn't always kill them). She in turn, talked about what she did. Eventually, she got around to talking about her friends back in Ponyville. The one that sounded the most interesting to me was a newly instated alicorn princess by the name of Twilight Sparkle. Since she was new, she might not yet have an opinion on reapers, and might also serve as a valuable ally against the other princesses, who, according to Fluttershy, were still alive. (Damn).

But I still needed an excuse to follow her home. She actually provided one, by asking where I was staying, in case she wanted to visit and hear more of my stories. When I replied that I currently had no lodgings she insisted at my staying at her house. (No, literally. I refused, but she used this creepy stare thing on me! I think that look will be branded at the forefront of my mind forever. Ughh!)

With (literally) no other choice, I accepted, and we both headed down the dirt path. Straight for a place where I hoped to be welcome.
----------------------------------------------

Outskirts of Ponyville; Date- unknown; Time- unknown

Fluttershy and I stood on a hill overlooking Ponyville. It looked like a quaint little town sure enough, but I was still more concerned about the reaction of the inhabitants. I felt my companion lay a comforting hoof on my leg. I smiled at her. If all the ponies were like her, I would have no problem with my job.

Sadly, and somewhat expectantly, this wasn't the case. Upon entering the town, the first pony we came across was a cream colored pony with a mane styled with two different shades of red, who stared at me with huge green eyes, before unleashing a bloodcurdling scream and charged off into town, screaming something about a monster, which was soon picked up by ponies who hadn't even see me yet! (During the whole ordeal, I could have sworn I heard thousands of human voices shouting, "Damn it Roseluck! Shut up!" Strange right?)

But anyway, in almost no time flat, the town looked as if it had been abandoned, leaving just me and Fluttershy alone on the street. We looked around for a sign of anypony who had decided not to barricade themselves in a house, but there was no one.

'Well damn'.

"I'm sorry George." Fluttershy tried to comfort me. "I'm sure they'll warm up to you eventu- Oh dear!"

I looked over at her in confusion, to see her staring at something behind me. Suddenly, she dropped to the ground, and I turned to face the unknown. But I never completed my movement.

Imagine standing with both feet on the ground, then suddenly getting hit by something impossibly fast and getting thrown sideways through several produce stands. Yeah, it hurt.

I stood up, silently swearing, and swung to face my attacker, my hand shooting to the holster at my side. I had been expecting a moth-man, those being the only creatures I knew of that could hit at that speed. What I didn't expect was a cyan colored pegasus with a rainbow colored mane and tail. 'Hm, gay? Nah, too stereotypical.' Before I could do anything else though, I heard the sound of more hoof beats. Turning again, I was met with the sight of two earth ponies, a unicorn, and a purple alicorn. Wait, could this have been the princess that Fluttershy had told me about? If it was, I was going to need one hell of an explanation to get me out of this mess.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, thanks for trying this story. Let me know if you like it and what could be done to make it better.

Also, comment if you actually listened to the music at max volume. XD

Shoutout to The_Psychotic_Pyromaniac for being the first to comment on music

(Side note: if it seems he knows too much, like what cutie marks are, it's because he read a general information file on equestria).