• Published 15th Apr 2012
  • 14,940 Views, 590 Comments

Treasure in the West - DiveBomb



Braeburn and Daring Do team up to find Cunning the Colt's lost and forgotten treasure.

  • ...
12
 590
 14,940

Thirteen - A Little Miracle

Canterlot was a place unlike any the simple farmer had ever seen before. Tall towers, lavish plazas and bright colors all around. It was a nice change of pace from the desolate flatlands of the West, but he still felt enormously out of place. It didn't help that even at early morning, the well-dressed, high-society ponies were already walking the streets, giving Braeburn odd or even cross looks as they passed the train station. Even after removing his tattered duster, all it took was a cowpony hat like his to draw attention in such a metropolis. Daring hadn't much luck being unnoticed either. Despite donning her old black traveling cloak, her signature mane and tail forced a few necks to snap in her direction. It was mostly the gazes of curious colts and fillies, but gazes nonetheless. The mare looked as if this was the last place she wanted to be, which seemed true enough.

Artemis had been kind enough to switch his train to the Metro line for them, more or less to reconnect with his goddaughter during the ride to the city. It didn't matter to Braeburn, for the trip was reserved for much-needed rest in his case. As if exploring a treacherous underground tomb wasn't enough, exiting it was an even more tiring endeavor. Behind the door was a narrow sandstone staircase, which seemed to take forever to ascend. After climbing hundreds of feet, they had emerged from a pile of boulders alongside the other end of the plateau range. Cunning had indeed done a good job of hiding the exit in a place nopony would ever think to look, not to mention the one-way door behind the guise of enormous stones. It took the better part of an hour, but eventually they were able to find their way back to Dodge Junction. Of course, Daring's superior navigational skills had helped tremendously.

Braeburn and Daring Do wiped their eyes as Artemis stepped down from the front of the locomotive and onto the station's platform. The beige earth pony had left his rifle and duster behind, only wearing his hat and a single bag slung over his back. Inside was the locked metal box, its contents rattling around with every step. For good measure, Daring held onto the key that unlocked its bindings, just in case somepony tried to rob them on their way to the museum. After all they went through to obtain Cunning's treasure, they weren't about to take any chances.

"It's weird being here again," Artemis noted, looking up at the skyline ahead. "I got used to the West, I guess."

"You and me both," laughed Daring. "So you're going to wait here? You know we might be a while."

"Not a problem at all. I'll just tell other ponies that this train is reserved. Not like any pony from here wants to visit a place like Dodge, but you can never be too sure."

"Well I guess we're off then," Daring grinned, waving goodbye before turning to Braeburn.

"Hold on a second, Daring," Artemis interjected, holding her back by the shoulder. "I'd just like to have a quick word with you before you leave."

"No problem," said Braeburn. "Ah'll just go on ahead and check out the sights. Seems like an interestin' kind o' place!"

Without so much as another look, Braeburn trotted off and into the large entrance plaza.


Daring had the objection on her lips, but ultimately couldn't voice her reluctance. She knew what her godfather wanted, and also that she couldn't run from it now. It needed to be said, the pegasus knew that. But that didn't stop the dread from producing a cold bead of sweat upon her brow. In the end, all she could do was watch Braeburn walk away, unaware of how long she was staring for.

"Now don't take this the wrong way," he started, his voice calm and careful. "Before I say this, just know that all I want is for you to be happy."

"I know," she replied, her voice cracking.

"I'm aware of the pain you've gone through now, and I'm glad you finally told me. But...why are you doing this to yourself? Don't you think that you deserve to be happy?"

Daring's mind immediately considered dismissing the entire accusation once again. However, she knew she couldn't. He was right about one thing: the mare was only bringing herself more pain. But...did she truly deserve to be happy? It certainly didn't feel like it. After her last attempt at happiness, the world had penalized her reckless actions and took away the one thing she cared the most about. Daring had always believed that the universe had delivered a clear message that day. Perhaps it wasn't the world, maybe it was merely chance. Artemis seemed to read her mind when he said:

"That was seven years ago, Daring. You were young, things happen."

"Yeah, things happen," she scoffed. "But that wasn't just a thing."

"I know, that's not what I'm trying to say."

The mare grit her teeth, looking up to the tall stallion before her as her anger rose. "You weren't there Art. You didn't feel what I felt."

"You still feel guilty," he said, as if it was just then dawning upon him. "But you're right; I wasn't there, and I will never know how you feel. What I do know, is that it wasn't your fault. You were still a kid, Daring. You weren't the seasoned archaeologist, nor the adult you are today. I don't want to try and run your life; I never have. But when I see you look at that stallion, I can see what he does to you. That, and I can see what you do to him."

Daring's frustration simply disappeared at the sound of his last nine words. To her surprise, her eyes shot open and her head snapped to attention, purely by reflex.

"Aha! See what I mean?" the conductor grinned. "If he makes you happy, then go to him. Stop living this life of self-loathing and let yourself enjoy it instead."

Artemis merely smiled at her after that, forcing Daring's gaze away from him and to the patterned tiles of the platform. Perhaps...he was right. There wasn't a single thing she could have done all those years ago. But what she felt for Dusty Trails didn't compare to the throbbing pain in her chest that she had now. It hurt because she was conflicted. Braeburn was the best friend she could have asked for, a pony that didn't judge or condemn her for her past. In fact, she remembered him crying right there with her in the tomb after she let him know about everything. It was true, he did care about her that much, despite the fact that they had been acquainted only days before. But she still wasn't certain of how she really felt. Was it true, or were her emotions clouding with her judgement? She couldn't make that mistake, not with Braeburn.

"It's not that simple, Art," she sighed.

"It never is, is it?" he snorted. "What is it going to take for you to accept this?"

"The problem is that I don't know if there is anything to accept," she answered solemnly. "What if my heart doesn't know what it's doing right now? What if I'm subconsciously mistaking my feelings for infatuation?"

Artemis furrowed his brow, looking back to the towering skyline ahead. "I suppose, in your position, there isn't a way for you to be sure."

Daring turned her head back to Artemis, searching for any sort of answer in his expression. "What do I do, Art? I don't wanna lose his friendship, but at the same time...I don't think I can...ugh! I just don't know!"

"Maybe you just need time," he suggested matter-of-factly. "You know, to see if your feelings change."

"I don't think I'll ever be anything but confused if I'm around him much longer," she whispered, barely loud enough for the stallion to hear. "Maybe I need to listen to my brain and not my heart right now. I think...I think after we drop Braeburn off in Appleloosa...I think I need to disappear for a while. Give myself time to see if I really do feel that way, I guess."

"Makes sense," he agreed with a slight nod. "If you're away from him and still feel this way, then you'll know for sure. And I don't think you need to be away just because of that stallion, but also to see who you are."

"What?"

"You need to learn that the world's problems aren't your fault," he said. "You've been through so much in your lifetime already, and you've never been able to take the time to really find out who you are. You may think you already know that now, but sometimes we need a new perspective to figure these things out. I don't care where you want to go; I'll get you there. I just want to see you happy again, Daring."

Her godfather suddenly wrapped a hoof around her neck, pulling the mare into a hug. "I may not be your father, but I love you like a daughter, kiddo. And I know that your parents would be more than proud to see the mare that they raised become such a beautiful, intelligent pony."

Daring bit her trembling lower lip as she hugged him back. "Thank you Art. I couldn't ask for a better godfather. I love you too."

The pegasus shoved the small wave of emotion aside as she let him go, casting a glance to the already-filled plaza ahead. To her surprise, Daring couldn't spot Braeburn anywhere amoungst the small sea of ponies. She smiled, imagining the bewildered look on the farmer's face in the midst of such a vastly-different culture.

"Well I guess you'd better get going. Does the curator know you're coming?" asked Artemis.

"No. I figured that I'd just pop in and throw her off her equilibrium bright and early," she replied, elated to hear a small chuckle in her own voice again.

"Heh, well that will do it," he smiled back. "Now go on, get out of here and get this done. I don't want to be here all day."

"Fine, fine. Sheesh," Daring scoffed mockingly, turning to walk away. But before she stepped off the station's platform, she turned her head back to the gray earth pony. "Art...did you really mean what you said about Braeburn? Do you really think he..."

Artemis snorted. "What do you think, Daring?"


To Braeburn's knowledge, there were two kinds of strange; the good and the bad. Canterlot, somehow, seemed like both varieties. The city was simply...different, in every possible way. The streets were heavy with early-morning hoof-traffic, everypony clamoring to arrive at their destination as soon as they could, as if the day was simply not long enough for them. Cheery, as well as disgruntled voices of all ages filled the plaza. Everypony wore some sort of garment, whether it be a full tuxedo or even something as simple as a scarf and hat. Their hooves were perfectly manicured, and their coats were sleek and shining with immaculate cleanliness. They seemed to emanate varying scents of colognes and perfumes. But their own synthetic fumes didn't mask Braeburn's rather unsavory aroma. Unfortunately for him, the earth pony hadn't been able to bathe himself after trekking through Cunning's tomb. The place had marked him with a few scents, the most prominent being the stagnant water they had fallen into. A few of the Canterlot ponies gave him sidelong glares once they got too close. Braeburn avoided their gazes, feeling more and more out of place by the second.

Instead of wandering around in the midst of judgmental ponies, the beige stallion found a bench on the edge of the cobblestone square, where nopony seemed to venture. It stood in front of a rather colorful sweet shop, its large front windows filled with a veritable spectrum of candies and signs. To his surprise, it was actually open despite the early hour. As he sat down upon the bench, he looked around to find that a vast majority of the stores were already open for business as well. The city was truly a busy place, that much was evident. All of the sounds and sights were slightly overwhelming, and this area seemed to be just the tip of the iceberg. Braeburn shifted uncomfortably atop the bench, sitting on his haunches and tapping a forehoof to the brightly-stained wood. He felt strangely vulnerable out here; in the polar opposite of his element. The only true pleasure he could extrapolate from the Northern metropolis was the cool mountain air. The calmest of breezes blew through the streets, rustling his filthy mane and bringing him a brief sense of relief.

He soon found that the city had turned towards the bad sort of strange. There had only been very seldom instances where Braeburn left the simple land of the West, but never had he ventured into a place quite like this. He felt nervous and even a little apprehensive; as if somepony were about to emerge from the alleyway and take him out of commission right there. At that phobic thought, the stallion cast a quick glance to the closest gap between the buildings behind him, letting out a sigh of relief when his fears were quelled. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea to venture off without Daring. Just having her there by his side had always made him feel more confident and at ease. This was possibly the worst time for her to leave him alone. Braeburn forced himself to breathe slower as he closed his eyes. It took a minute, but eventually he was able to calm down. He hoped that they wouldn't be in Canterlot for too long. If they were, he wasn't sure how long it would be until he were to suffer through another panic attack.

Braeburn lifted his head at the sound of familiar hoofsteps to find a dark-yellow mare in a black cloak, shielding her wings and cutie mark from view. He didn't put much thought into her somber expression, nor the fact that she still wasn't looking him in the eye. The stallion was just relieved to have a friend nearby again. "There ya' are!"

Daring curiously traced his face with her eyes. "Whoa. Are you feeling alright? You're looking pretty pale."

Not to mention light-headed, he thought. "It's just really loud and...crowded and..."

"When was the last time you left the desert, Brae?" she smirked, although it did seem a little forced. Maybe she was just tired. "It's just a little culture shock, don't worry. Now come on..."

She pushed him forcibly off the bench with her head, and he reluctantly complied. She even checked his bags to make sure the black box was still there before throwing it on his back. Without another word, Daring started to walk through the small sea of ponies. Even if there was something wrong with her, Braeburn wouldn't be able to bring it up here, not with all of the eyes and ears around. Instead he simply drove on, his gaze unintentionally fixated on three shades of gray.


Gigantic was a word that a simple farmpony would never find himself using. The same went for colossal, or even divine. But those three words were all that Braeburn could think of to describe the walls around him. As if the outside of the gargantuan building wasn't large or finely-crafted enough, the interior was simply breathtaking. The foyer itself seemed larger than anything he had ever seen. The walls were made of some kind of white, pearly stone, lined corner to corner with tall half-pillars. He realized where Daring had found her fondness for dark-reds, for the place had resembled her personal train car. On either side of every tall stained-glass window were a pair of maroon tapestries, emblazoned in gold with the letters: C.M.N.H. The multicolored glass cast varying hues of light down upon the lavish exhibits, filling the museum with an uplifting air. Despite the emptiness of the building before its business hours, it was already teeming with life.

Between the two ponies and the vast staircase ahead, numerous cases and displays were organized to fill the foyer, while still allowing a large amount of movement. There were exhibits of all kinds right up front, more than likely to intrigue any newcomers into exploring the rest of the museum's clearly-enormous collection. Braeburn felt an odd sort of pride that he was about to help contribute quite possibly one of the most ground-breaking finds in recent history. To think, something that he and Daring Do found was about to be in the most prestigious collection of artifacts in Equestria. Not only that, but he, Braeburn Apple, was tied to the item. Or rather, items.

He followed the archaeologist down the middle of the foyer, reveling in the comfort that the soft red carpet provided on his hooves. Thankfully the stationed security guard had recognized Daring and allowed them entry before business hours, for Braeburn wasn't exactly adamant on waiting outside until midday. Somehow the pegasus was sure that the curator was already here. He didn't ask why, simply because she didn't seem to be in the greatest of moods. He couldn't imagine why. Their journey was over, and now they were about to reap the benefits of their labor. Well, Braeburn was, anyway. Perhaps there was more he could do for her after their trip to Ponyville. She hadn't asked about it since he mentioned it the day before, thankfully. He didn't want to have the surprise ruined, after all.

"Ugh, we smell something awful," she murmured, just loud enough for him to hear. "A bath would be amazing right now."

"Couldn't agree more," he replied, eager to start any sort of conversation. "So hold on, what's the plan after we leave here?"

The question forced Daring to stop once they reached the top of the wide, red and white staircase. "Um...well...I dunno, really." At this point, nopony would confuse her sorrowful look for fatigue anymore. There was something on her mind, and it looked to be tearing her apart from the inside. What had she and Artemis talked about to drag her down so much? He couldn't think of anything that could make her so somber and apathetic at such a seemingly-joyous occasion. Instead of voicing his worry, he merely tilted his head at her, asking without words.

"Nothing's wrong Brae," she said rather quickly, with a dash of defensiveness.

"Ah didn't ask if there was," he said matter-of-factly. "Look, ya' don't have to tell me. Obviously it was somethin' between you and yer godfather, and that's none o' my business. Ah just wanna know where we're goin' after this."

"O-Oh..." she said quietly, still not looking at his face. "Well, as it turns out, I-"

But before she could continue her sentence, a door to her right burst open. The two off them flinched violently, their wide eyes upon the gaping barrel of a long rifle. Braeburn immediately threw his forehooves into the air, sitting on his haunches and trying to be as nonthreatening as possible. Daring, however, disregarded any sort of danger and merely swatted the gun aside, grinning at the new pony. "So paranoid, Minerva. Sheesh."

The mare named Minerva was of an older generation, possibly almost Bullet Tyme's age. However, she didn't seem to let time be her enemy. The earth pony had a coat of incredibly dark red, almost brown. Her mane and tail were a steely-gray, almost matching her dull-hued iris'. She had styled her mane in a rather neat bun on the back of her head, appropriately accompanying the tiny spectacles that balanced on the bridge of her nose. Around her torso was a formal black vest and bow-tie, a golden chain slung from the front pocket, presumably holding a watch of some kind. Her flanks were adorned with an opened book, a thin length of ribbon waving precariously through its pages.

"My word Daring Do! Could you at least write me a letter telling me that you're going to be breaking into my museum next time?" the curator huffed, disengaging the shotgun. Her words were articulated and only slightly accented in a manner that Braeburn failed to recognize.

"But that would make my visits thought-out and organized, and we can't have that," Daring mused. Minerva only scowled in response, turning her gaze to Braeburn. He exhaled a breath of relief, doing his best to look unassuming.

"And who is this?" she asked, her tone lightening into something less agitated.

"Braeburn, ma'am," he replied, offering a polite hoof as he removed his hat with the other. Minerva shook it lightly, answering with a kind smile.

"Such manners," she commented brightly, turning to Daring. "Where'd you find such a gentlecolt, Daring? Not from around here, I imagine."

"He's a friend from Appleloosa," she answered. "He helped me find my newest contribution to the museum, actually."

Minerva's eyes brightened at that. "Really now, is that why you're here? Well then, let us retire to my office!"

The maroon earth pony gestured to the threshold behind her, allowing the two of them to pass through. Minerva closed the door behind them as Braeburn looked around the large room. Unsurprisingly, it resembled Daring's apartment in Dodge Junction. A plethora of presumably-valuable items and trinkets lined the walls, as well as a collection of framed certificates and diplomas behind the enormous mahogany desk. There were no windows, so illumination was provided by a bright chandelier hanging delicately from the high ceiling. Daring and Braeburn sat upon a long black couch in front of the curator's desk. The stallion rested the heavy bag atop the dark wood, resting back on his haunches and waiting for somepony to speak.

"So what do you have for me now Daring? I must say, it's been quite a while since your last visit, so it must have been a real bother acquiring whatever it is," said Minerva, her eyes fixed on the bag.

Daring seemed to regain her snark at that. She grinned triumphantly, as if she had just won the lottery. "This isn't just another artifact Minnie; this is something that will bring in ponies from every corner of the country, perhaps even the world. Tell me, have you ever heard the tales of Cunning the Colt?"

Minerva did well in masking her excitement, up until the infamous name had been uttered. Her eyes bulged out of their wrinkled sockets, and her lips parted slightly in shock. "W-Wait...but that's just a simple Western tale! Y-You didn't...you couldn't have..."

Daring's grin only brightened. "Chuh! A tale she says! Have you not met me? Not only is Cunning more than just folklore, but I have soooo much proof that he actually existed. Exhibit A: the contents of that bag. Exhibit B: the stallion sitting next to me."

The curator cocked an eyebrow, her gaze flickering between Braeburn and the satchel upon her desk. "Alright, you're going to have to elaborate, Miss Do."

With only the slightest air of cockiness, Daring recalled the entire story of their expedition, even the parts where Braeburn hadn't been present. She told her how her team had left with their skepticism, how they discovered the treasure, and everything in between. The look on Minerva's face was that of a filly listening to possibly the most interesting bedtime story of them all. Braeburn wouldn't have been surprised if the curator had clutched a pillow in her hooves while she listened. "...and come to find out, Braeburn's rifle was actually Cunning's personal Marechester! You wouldn't believe the tomb he built to guard his treasure; it nearly killed us! I plan to have my team regroup and study every nook and cranny of that place until every detail is properly documented and turned in to you. But for now, I think the treasure will suffice."

Minerva sat in her high chair, utterly flabbergasted. "That was...quite possibly the single greatest piece of news you could have brought to me. This is amazing! Daring, I don't think you realize just how huge this is. Finding proof of his existence is one thing, but unearthing a tomb, personal belongings, and proof of his lineage all in three days? That is nothing short of extraordinary! That..." Minerva turned to Braeburn. "...and you discover Cunning the Colt's descendant? We should be putting you in a case Mister Apple! I joke of course, but still..."

"Are you gonna gush all day, or are you going to see what's in that bag?" Daring smirked, disregarding the slew of compliments. Almost immediately, the curator took the key from Daring and retrieved the small, black box from its bag. She unlocked its binds, throwing them aside before carefully opening the metal lid. She wore the same look that Braeburn had when he first gazed upon the treasure, and he smiled in response.

"Dear Celestia," she gasped. Minerva quickly retrieved a pair of thin rubber gloves from a desk drawer, slipping them onto her forehooves before wearily withdrawing one of the hundreds of ancient gold coins. She held it between her hooves, squinting through her small glasses at the perfectly-preserved bit. "These are at least three or four-hundred years old! Getting the exact date would take some careful study, but impressive nonetheless! However...the gold doesn't seem to be the big-ticket item here..."

The curator replaced the coin back into the box with the rest before picking up a small, hardcover tome between her forehooves. The edges of its bindings were deservedly-worn, but otherwise the book was kept in remarkable shape. Upon the dark-brown cover were the letters: C.T.C., written in a silvery hue of writing. Minerva carefully flipped through the ancient pages, her eyes darting around the perfectly-uniformed writing. "This is...this is a journal! There are dates, places, this and that...it looks as if his entire adult life is depicted in this book!"

"And I'm going to need a word-for-word copy of that," Daring commented dryly. "Never got around to reading a page of it. I'm also pretty sure that Braeburn would like a copy as well. Cunning was his ancestor, after all."

"Ah think that'd be just dandy," he replied. Braeburn may not have been the biggest fan of Cunning's lifestyle, but that didn't mean he wasn't interested.

"But of course!" Minerva exclaimed. "I simply cannot believe any of this. What I can believe, is that I'm signing a very large check today."

"Not in my name," Daring said dryly, gesturing to the stallion next to her. "The only name I wanna see on that check is Braeburn Apple."

The curator's eyes snapped up and away from the journal, switching between the two in front of her. "E-Excuse me?"

"We had a deal," she said as plain as day. "And I'm holding up my end of it."

At a loss for words in the midst of slight guilt, Braeburn only smiled meekly at the confounded earth pony.

"It's for a very good cause: restoring an honest, hardworking family business," Daring assured.

"Be that as it may," Minerva breathed. "but the Board is going to want to pay a fortune for this. I'm just disappointed that the Marechester won't be included in this amazing collection."

"Ah'm a mite sorry fer that," Braeburn replied sincerely. "but Thumper stays in the family with me."

"Well I guess that's where it belongs, if you truly inherited Cunning's innate rifle prowess like Daring says you do," she said with a kind smile. "But if you ever change your mind-"

"Minnie, come on now," Daring interrupted flatly, extinguishing her suggestion outright.

"Okay, okay. But there is one more thing we need to discuss," said Minerva, closing the box in front of her. "Daring, I understand your natural attraction to remaining anonymous, but this is the discovery of a lifetime. I must insist that you take responsibility for this. There is no better way to reveal yourself to the world than this."

"Minerva, you know I-"

"Do it."

Daring Do stopped dead, turning her head to Braeburn. He looked her right in the eye, unblinking and unwavering. "What?"

"You heard me," he said matter-of-factly. "Ah think it's high-time you showed the world that yer a real pony. You've done nothin' but hide fer no good reason, livin' in secrecy. Ah know why ya' have, but those reasons have all but expired at this point. Don't ask why no more; ask why not."

The dark-yellow mare just stared at him, looking directly into his eyes as if to extrapolate some sort of ulterior motive from his words. "But what if I-"

"Ah'll do it if you do it."

"What?"

"If you reveal yerself to the world, Ah'll let the paper's know of my heritage also," Braeburn stated, although not without a grin. "Ya' know how much Ah hate the kind o' pony my ancestor was, but that doesn't stop him from bein' a part o' my family. If ya' take credit fer just this one find, then Ah will too."

"But then my name will be attached to everything else I've found Brae!" she exclaimed, her tone almost desperate.

"Psh, so what? Good fer you then! Ah know yer not fer the whole 'name in lights' bit, but Ah think this will help you."

He enunciated the last two words to convey his meaning, without revealing it to the other pony in the office. Thankfully, Daring seemed to grasp the hint, for she looked away from him and to the box between them and the curator. Minerva waited patiently as the pegasus contemplated his words.

"I guess..." she started quietly. "...I guess it is time. Alright Braeburn, you got yourself a deal."

To his surprise, she even looked him in the eye as she bumped his hoof with her own. For the first time that day, she actually wore a sincere smile.

"Well good," came the curator's voice. They both turned to find her with an ink-dipped quill in her mouth, writing something quick on a small notepad. When she was done, Minerva tore out the page and slid it face-down across the dark mahogany to Braeburn. "This is my offer for not just this box and its story, but also for your hard work, as well as getting Daring here to finally come out of her shell. I think you may find it very enticing."

Braeburn exhaled a nervous breath, taking the note into his hooves. He had no idea exactly how much money it would take to return the farm to a profitable state, but he could gather that Minerva's offer was far beyond what was necessary. The stallion felt as if he were about to faint right there on the spot at the sight of perhaps too many zeros. His jaw dropped and his eyes flew open. "What in the hay?!" he exclaimed. "Ah'm sorry ma'am, but this can't be right."

"Oh, it is," she reassured calmly. "I've taken a lot into consideration about that offer. You're not going to receive a bit less than that. I don't want any other museum making a higher offer, after all."

This was insane. It couldn't have been true. He had originally thought that museums merely accepted donations, but perhaps cases such as this were an exception. But still, this was money a pony his age could retire on. How could he take every bit without feeling as if he were stealing from the mare who actually did the research needed to make any of the past three days possible? There was no question about it anymore; he needed to find something to repay her with. However, that was a matter for the future, not now.

"Ah...Ah don't know what to say," he breathed, looking to Daring, whom only smiled in response. "But...thank you."


The tub of hot water was like Heaven to the spent pegasus. She closed her eyes and let the steaming bliss slow her racing mind down. The mare dipped herself lower and lower into the suds until her entire body was submerged, save for the upper portion of her muzzle and head. Out of nothing but sheer foalishness, Daring blew a raspberry underwater, resulting in an eruption of bubbles to rise to the surface.

But her amusement didn't last long. The only sound that filled the bathroom was the running water of the shower stall a mere yard away. She couldn't see past the drawn curtain, and therefore couldn't see the stallion inside. He had been silent the entire way back to Dodge Junction, and only spoke a few words upon their arrival to her home. His expression hadn't been somber or sad, but something else entirely. The mare couldn't put a hoof on it, but his lack of speech was somehow worrying. Daring hadn't said a word either, but for reasons she was all too aware of. She couldn't explain Braeburn's dilemma, considering the enormous amount of money he had received that morning.

"Hey, you alive in there?" she asked, more to test his reaction than anything.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. Ah'm fine," he answered, although halfheartedly.

"What's wrong with you?"

"Ah could ask ya' the same question," he chuckled. "But Ah guess all o' this is just a little unreal to me. Ah'm just...grateful. Really grateful, and Ah just don't know how Ah can repay ya'."

Daring found no answer to that. The only thing she could extrapolate from his answer was an odd sort of dread that she didn't recognize.

"We were really in a heap o' trouble, ya' know," he continued. "We were actually thinkin' 'bout selling the farm. Things hadn't been that bad since...well, ever. Ah didn't know what Ah could'a done to save it, and fer a minute there, Ah lost all hope."

His sudden willingness to voice his thoughts wasn't what took her off-guard; it was the thoughts themselves. His words hit her like a brick wall of emotion, carrying more weight than they should have. Daring cringed as she felt the dread creep along her spine, a ball of ice dropping into her stomach.

Oh no...Don't say it...

"Then...you walked into my door, and made me believe again. Not only did Ah believe in friendship again...Ah found faith in miracles too. Stupid Ah guess, but in my position, what else can ya' call it?"

Stop it Brae, just stop it...

"Ah bet Ah sound like a silly little foal, talkin' 'bout miracles and nonsense like that. But coincidence just doesn't seem to add up to me. Ah mean, what're the odds of you, of all ponies, walkin' up to my doorstep and givin' me this opportunity, right when Ah needed it the most?"

Why are you still talking? Don't you realize that you're killing me here?

Thankfully, she only had to endure so much pain. From the living room came the sound of a hoof rapping on the door, freeing her from the emotional torture. It didn't matter if she was forced to exit the comfort of the hot water, as long as her chest wasn't in so much pain anymore. "I guess I should get that."

"Oh, well, Ah'll be here Ah guess."

With a groan, Daring lifted herself out of the wooden tub and onto the bath mat, drying herself off with a towel from the rack. She flicked her wings off a few times for good measure, ignoring the impatient knocks from the other room. The mare called out her awareness of the visitor's presence, asking for a moment of patience. The pegasus was already dry, so that wasn't the issue. The issue was her hesitance, and her uncertainty of how to respond to the stallion's kind words of gratitude. She knew what her heart was saying, but that wasn't exactly a trusted source at the moment. No, she had to stick to the plan. She couldn't let her confusion override objectivity.

"Brae?" she spoke weakly.

"Yeah?"

"I just...thank you, for what you said. It means a lot to me," Daring answered, doing her best to ignore the silly little smile playing on her lips. Before he could reply, the pegasus forced herself to leave the bathroom, unable to take a single look back. She emerged into the living room, taking her sweet time to approach the threshold. Daring gathered her composure, and slowly opened the door.

Standing much taller than herself, was a grim-looking earth stallion with a coat the color of sand. His dark-gray mane was tied back in a tight tail, revealing every inch of his gaunt face, shadowed under his flat-brimmed cowpony hat. It took a moment for Daring to recognize the middle-aged stallion, as well as the orange mare standing alongside him.

"Oh! Bullet...hello sir," she stammered, wondering what in Equestria Braeburn's family was doing here. "And hello Applejack."

The other mare gave a polite smile, although it looked somewhat forced. Bullet Tyme, however, gave no such expression.

"We've been lookin' fer ya'," he said in a gruff tone, his voice haggard. "May we come in?"

"Of...Of course!" Daring said, gesturing for them to come inside. Normally the fearless archaeologist had no problem dealing with abrasive ponies, but in her current emotional state, Daring felt easily intimidated by the tall stallion.

The two of them walked in silently, and Daring closed the door behind them. "Braeburn's actually in the shower right now, but he'll be out in a minute. You can sit wherever you want-"

"Is he alright?" Bullet interrupted, his tone flat, although not without the slightest hint of concern. Daring felt her eye twitch. Did they know something?

"Yeah, he's completely fine. Why do you ask?"

"Ah saw the paper yesterday," he replied, neither him nor Applejack sitting down despite her offer. "Ah know that my boy has been messin' 'round dangerous ponies here in Dodge, and Ah wanna know why."

He spoke as if Daring herself had done something wrong, like she was his foalsitter. She was only momentarily surprised that the newspaper had published Braeburn's acts of heroism, before her mind processed the information objectively. Of course they would, the event was probably the biggest thing to happen in the small town for years. But what had been reported? Just the shoot out with Sure Shot, or that as well as the fight at Final Chance? All in all, it didn't really matter. It wasn't exactly a secret, and Bullet Tyme deserved to know what his son had done for the town. Braeburn hadn't done anything wrong, in fact, he did quite the opposite. Daring was sure that he wouldn't mind his father knowing about it...or at least, she thought she was sure.

"Oh, I didn't know that got in the paper. We've been pretty busy, you see," she said with a nervous smile. "It's a story you'll really wanna hear. But I can go get him, if you want."

"S'alright, Miss Do. As long as he's not hurt or nothin', then Ah'm happy," he said, losing his abrasive tone with every word. Thankfully, Bullet seemed to relax knowing that his son was alive and well. "But Ah wouldn't mind hearin' 'bout this little adventure you two are on. AJ here told me some vague things about what you two were doin', but not the whole thing, Ah reckon."

"I see," she exhaled. "Well maybe we should sit, it's kind of a long story."


Braeburn let his head fall against the wall of the shower once again, allowing his muddled mind to finally relax under the heavy water pressure. He had already finished bathing himself, but the stallion felt no desire to exit the stall. After the past few days, all he wanted to do was relax. He heard a couple extra voices from the other room, but made no attempt to figure out who they were, or even take a guess. It simply didn't matter to him at this point. His journey had come to an end, and he had a small fortune to revive the farm with. To him, all was well with the world. Well, except for his excessive curiosity.

What was making Daring Do so somber and passive? He guessed that it had nothing to do with the money. Perhaps it was simply the private conversation she had with Artemis. Did Braeburn do something wrong? Was he the topic that made her so sad? He couldn't imagine that to be a viable cause for her evident pain, but he had no other theories as to why. Something had changed in her since Canterlot, and he was dying to know what. But he had to admit, she wasn't the only one feeling different. Somehow her pain felt like his own, as if whatever was hurting her was something that could hurt him, that would cause him similar emotional harm.

There ya' go Braeburn, dwelling on other ponies' problems again. She's fine, you're fine, everything's fine!

But what if it's not?

It's fine. She'll come around eventually. It can't be 'bout you, so don't worry 'bout it.

Right...Ah'll just take her to Ponyville to meet AJ's friend. Maybe then Daring will feel better.

But the throb in his chest was still there. Worrying was one thing, but this was something else entirely. It was a feeling he had never experienced, and it was strong enough to frighten him even. Was there something wrong with him?

"That's it," he muttered, rising to his hooves and shutting off the water. He looked down to the floor of the stall to find a slight tinge of light red in the draining water. The stallion groaned when he saw that the cut on his back had opened again. He opened the shower curtain and carefully dried off with a clean towel. Next to the tub were his bags and hat. He rummaged through them to find the small roll of gauze that remained after their numerous injuries. It took a few minutes, but eventually he was able to crane his neck and stretch far enough to wrap the bandaging around the thin slice on his back. He couldn't tell what kind of job he'd done, but hoped that it would at least hold back another flow of blood.

Now that the shower hadn't been running, his ears were free to prick up at the sounds of the voices in the other room. They were clear with the lack of white noise, and Braeburn instantly recognized the gruff tones of an older stallion. A block of ice fell into his stomach at the sound of his father's voice. What was he doing in Dodge Junction? Did he come by to scold him? However, Bullet Tyme's inaudible words didn't sound angry, or even agitated. In fact, his father sounded...happy. Perhaps Daring was telling him of what happened, and that the whole plan didn't sound like some kind of blinded scheme as Bullet had previously thought. Suddenly Braeburn's chest loosened, and he was no longer apprehensive about emerging into the living room.

Braeburn donned his freshly-cleaned hat and vest, and opened the door. As he expected, Daring and Bullet Tyme were sitting across from each other upon the opposing couches. What he didn't expect, was to see Applejack sitting next to his father. Regardless of the older stallion's seemingly-uplifting tones, Braeburn felt himself shrink when Bullet Tyme laid eyes on him. But before anypony could say a word, Bullet stepped down from the couch and walked over to him, his expression unreadable. Without a single word or glance, the stallion wrapped a single foreleg around his son, pulling him into a tight embrace. "Don't worry boy, Daring told us everything. Ah'm sorry that Ah didn't believe ya'. You were just trying to save the farm, and ya' did it. Ah couldn't be more proud o' ya' son."

Braeburn could only stand there in shock, his face dumbstruck and his eyes unfocused. From his peripheral vision, he could clearly see Applejack and Daring Do smiling at the father and son. He expected scolding, a silent treatment, anything but this. But what struck him the most was the word 'proud.' Bullet had said it with meaning, true meaning, something seldom heard from the gruff stallion. The beige earth pony could only return the embrace with a single foreleg, thanking his father quietly.

"And...yer not sore 'bout Cunning bein'...ya' know, our ancestor?" he asked once his father let him go.

"Well Ah'm not too keen on it, but it sure explains a whole lot," he chuckled, to which Braeburn joined in. "If he's the reason that you were a good enough shooter to take out the most feared bandit in the West, then Ah can't complain."

"Even if ya' were foolhardy enough to be there in the first place," jeered Applejack from the couch.

"Kinda teetering on that thin line between that and bravery," Daring joined in, instilling a short laugh from the two mares.

"Yer the one that told me to shoot!"

"I didn't say who was the one teetering," the pegasus admitted with a smirk. She seemed to be having an easier time now that there were other ponies around, for her eyes were no longer filled with an unidentifiable sorrow. Instead, her smiles were almost as bright as they used to be. Regardless, Braeburn didn't speculate. Applejack, however, seemed to be switching her gaze between him and Daring as covertly as possible. After she noticed his attention to her shifting eyes, she said:

"Oh, and Daring, there may have been somethin' Ah neglected to mention."

Daring cocked an unsure eyebrow. "Oh? What about?"

Braeburn and Bullet Tyme exchanged a nod, and walked over to the opposing couches. The older stallion returned to his seat next to the orange mare, while his son sat aside Daring. Braeburn just then noticed the only item on the coffee table between them: Thumper. He cringed at the sight of the damaged front stock, as well as the shallow gouge on the barrel. He cast a brief glance to his father, whom only wore a look that clearly said: 'Don't worry about it.'

"Well," Applejack continued. "There uh...there might be a unicorn in Ponyville that...well, knows 'bout ya'."

"Oh, there's going to be a lot more ponies that will know about me soon," Daring said. "Tomorrow's newspaper is going to be headlined with our findings, and Braeburn convinced me to...well, reveal myself. Both of our names are going to be on the front page, and I imagine some pony will do the research to find out exactly who I am and why I'm a real archaeologist."

"Really? Well that sure is somethin' Rain-"

Braeburn cut her off mid-sentence with a quick shake of his head. Thankfully, his cousin took notice, stumbling on her own words as she formed an improvisation. "...Rain, uh...that sure is somethin' my good ol' pal...Rain Water would like to hear! She's a heeyuuge fan o' the books!"

Braeburn cast her a less-than-facetious scowl. That was the best she could come up with?

"Rain Water? That's an odd name," Daring noted. "But I guess I'd better get used the idea of ponies knowing who I am again."

For lack of an answer to her comment, Applejack merely nodded with a nervous grin. Fortunately, Daring simply let it go at that.

The four ponies delved into conversation for an unknown amount of time after that. Bullet Tyme and Applejack were highly inquisitive about every last detail of their journey, especially of the bar fight at Final Chance. They spoke of their quest, as well as how work on the farm had been for the past three days. Applejack was kind enough to remain referring to her prismatic friend as Rain Water, with little help from her uncle. The older stallion almost let the secret out, until the orange mare gave him an unseen hit to the shoulder while Daring wasn't looking. Braeburn was grateful, for he didn't want the surprise to be ruined. After all, letting Daring meet her high-flying idol was the absolute least he could do for what she had done for him. He just hoped that word didn't get to Ponyville before they arrived.

At one point, the archaeologist had left the room, allowing Braeburn to silently voice his intentions to his family. They agreed immediately, having known of the small fortune that the pegasus had bestowed upon their family business.

Eventually she returned, and Braeburn brought up a new topic: "So Daring, remember how Ah said that we had to go to Ponyville at some point?"

The pegasus returned to her seat next to him on the couch, her left eyebrow raised slightly. "Um...oh yeah, that's right. Are you gonna tell me what's there or not?"

"Nope," he grinned. "It's a surprise, fer you."

"A surprise?" she asked incredulously.

"Sure is!" Applejack perked up. "After what ya' did fer our family, we'd like to return the favor!"

"Oh, that's alright. I appreciate it, but Brae and I had a deal, and we both-"

"Well look at the time," Bullet interjected, nodding to the grandfather clock in the corner. "It looks like the only train headed to Ponyville is about to leave! Daring, get yer things together as quick as ya' can, 'cause we're all goin'!"

"But-"

"You heard him! Now or never!" Braeburn assisted, catching his father's game. Ignoring the mare's words of protest, he shoved her across the floor and into her bedroom, shutting the door between them. "We ain't got much time! Pack yer things and get ready as quick as ya' can!"

"I didn't agree to any of this!" came her voice from the other side of the door.

"We're doin' it for you!" he replied, chuckling silently as his family did the same. He looked to his father and dropped the volume of his voice: "Is the train really leaving that quickly?"

"Pfft, naw," he smiled. "But Ah didn't wanna give her the chance to decline. She deserves at least this."

"Agreed. Ah hope we get there before-GAH!"

Applejack was interrupted by a small burst of green flame, erupting inches away from her face. Before anypony could react further, they were relieved to see a scroll of parchment drop in front of the orange mare, bound by a violet ribbon. "Oh, it's just a letter from Twilight."

"Is that some sorta magic?" asked Braeburn.

"Kinda. She has a baby dragon fer an assistant. Ah guess it's somethin' they can do. Ah never really asked about it," she explained as she unraveled the letter before reading it aloud: "Dear Applejack, sorry I couldn't get this letter to you sooner, I've been busy cleaning up a mess that Spike made in the library. Perhaps I shouldn't leave him alone when I leave town. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know we got home safely. Rainbow wouldn't stop asking me what happened while she was asleep, but don't worry, I kept it vague. I hope you're okay, and that Braeburn and Daring are too. I hope to hear back from you! Like I said before, I enchanted this letter with a return spell. After you're done writing, roll it back up and tap it three consecutive times with your hoof, and it will be sent back to me as if Spike delivered it himself. Sincerely, Twilight Sparkle."

"Well that's convenient as all heck," Braeburn noted, returning back to the couch across from them. "Write back right now, and tell her 'bout the whole thing. Tell her not to let yer rainbow friend read any newspapers and to have her meet us at Sweet Apple Acres when we get to Ponyville. If we take the train now, we should get there by dawn."

"Hold yer horses cousin," Applejack retorted, scrambling around the room to find a quill and an inkwell on a small desk next to the grandfather clock. She sat back down, writing her reply as fast as she could. When she finished, she had just enough time to roll the parchment and send it on its way as Twilight had instructed. Once the scroll disappeared in another flash of green flame, Daring returned from her bedroom with a small satchel on her back.

"What's all the ruckus in here?" she asked.

"Nothin'!" Braeburn exclaimed, motioning for everypony to gather their belongings and prepare to leave. "Just gettin' ready is all!"

"And nopony is going to tell me-"

"Nope! Let's go!"


The next morning Braeburn awoke to the wail of a train whistle. After a second night of sleeping on a train, his spine was starting to feel incredibly sore. He found himself twisted upon the uncomfortable wooden bench, wishing that they were able to take Artemis' train instead. Unfortunately, the conductor had other ponies to tend to, and not just them. Braeburn groaned as he forced himself into a sitting position, his eyes still closed. He felt a warm weight against his shoulder, moving ever-so-slightly. In his exhausted state of mind, the stallion didn't cast a thought to the source of the warmth, but merely rested his face in his forehooves. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes, finally cracking them open to find his surroundings dimly-lit and somewhat cold compared to the recent heatwave. His brain lulled itself into an exhausted stupor as he let his head fall to the makeshift pillow once again. The warmth seemed to follow him, and the stallion smiled in content.

"Well that's a sight to wake up to."

Braeburn's eyes flew open. He knew the voice, but he expected it to belong to the body leaning against him. Instead, the voice came from across the aisle of the train car. Braeburn craned his neck around to find a mass of orange draped across him, rising and falling with the slightest of snores.

"Ugh! Darn it AJ," he grunted, slouching out from under his cousin. As her cheek collided with the wooden bench, the orange mare awoke with a fright, looking around the cabin with wide eyes. From the other side of the car, Daring burst into a fit of giggles, covering her mouth with a hoof.

"What's goin' on? Did somethin' happen?" Applejack asked quickly, still half-asleep.

Braeburn didn't answer, but instead shivered in disgust, shaking his head a few times as if it would rid the event from his memory. The pegasus across from them could no longer contain her laughter, and fell into another fit on her back.

"Cousin, next time sleep on the other side of the train," he grumbled.

"What're ya' talkin' 'bout?" she asked, sincerely unaware.

"Just...ugh," he replied, ignoring Daring's laughter and walking to the other side of the cabin.

Outside the dirty windows, the sun was only starting to rise over the small town around them. He had only been there once before, but the colorful buildings and the enormous mountain range were unmistakable. The small Northern town felt nothing like the scorching West. The air was cool and comfortable, making it enjoyable to be outdoors. At the other end of the cabin, the wide doors slid open, allowing a light morning breeze to flow through. Ponyville was still asleep, save for the occasional passersby near the small train station. Braeburn allowed himself a breath of relaxation. Here, his name and face were unknown. Here, he wasn't the stallion who, although only technically, defeated Sure Shot. He knew that his anonymity would only last a day or two, but he planned to enjoy every second of it.

Behind him, Daring and Applejack were gathering their belongings, throwing their bags over their backs. The orange mare was the first to depart the train car, yawning as she stepped onto the platform along with a dozen other ponies from the rest of the train. Braeburn had none of his own bags to carry, just the vest around his torso and the hat on his head. He had left Thumper with his father along with the check that Minerva had signed for him. All that Braeburn took was a small bag of coins, which he kept in the inner pocket of his vest. He wasn't aware of just how long he would stay in Ponyville, but knew that Daring would leave by the end of the day, perhaps earlier. She didn't say where, but Braeburn merely assumed that she meant back to her apartment in Dodge Junction. It wasn't a big deal, he would see her again soon. The archaeologist more than likely had other things to do now that their quest had been completed. Bullet allowed his son to bring her to Ponyville, with the condition that he returned the next day. He didn't say it as a father, but his employer. They had a lot of work to do, and a lot of money to spend. The farm wasn't going to bring itself back to life, after all.

"Are you gonna just stare out the window until the train leaves or what?"

Braeburn snapped out of his stupor to find Daring next to him. She didn't wear her shirt or hat, just the satchel over her back. Her foreleg was still wrapped in gauze, but the rest of her injuries had healed.

"Yeah, let's go."

Applejack led them through the empty town and into the forest, pacing down the dirt road that led to Ponyville's apple orchards. Braeburn kept his eyes open, searching for any sign of his cousin's prismatic friend. The mare led them not towards the large barn home, but to the South fields of the vast orchard. They didn't have to look long to find a violet unicorn mare sitting down under a tree. Her mane and tail were the deepest of purples, a single line of pink separating the shades. Braeburn took a moment to recognize her, but eventually remembered her as Twilight Sparkle, the mare that wrote the letter. She had her large eyes set on a book in front of her, levitated by an aura of violet magic. At the sound of their approaching hoofsteps, she looked up from her novel. Her eyes widened as she spotted the pegasus aside Braeburn, whom almost shrunk under her gaze.

"So it is true!" she exclaimed, dropping her book and galloping over to the three of them. The excited unicorn took Daring's uninjured hoof and shook it mercilessly, wearing a toothy grin all the while. "Oh this is amazing! Ever since Applejack told me about you, I couldn't wait to meet you!"

"Oh, well...thanks," said Daring, wearing a meek smile. "And...you are?"

"Oh, yes! I'm Twilight Sparkle, nopony really important," she said nervously, as if she were meeting the Princesses for the first time.

"Nopony important?" Applejack scoffed. "Daring, this is Princess Celestia's personal student. Don't undersell yerself Twi'."

Daring's eyes flew open. "Really? That's incredible! It's a pleasure to meet you Twilight."

This time it was the pegasus' turn to shake her hoof. She even bowed her head a little to the unicorn. Braeburn didn't mind that he was left out of the conversation. This visit wasn't for him, it was for Daring.

"Was this the surprise Brae? I never thought I'd meet one of the Princess' inner-circle."

"Oh! I apologize Braeburn," said Twilight, regarding the stallion. "It's good to see you again."

"You too," he replied, giving her a friendly smile. "But Ah have to ask, where's yer friend?"

"Yes, you're right," said Twilight, turning back to the confused-looking pegasus. "Daring, there's somepony that would love to meet you. And from what I'm told, you'd love to meet her as well."

Daring cocked an eyebrow. "Um...really?" She then turned back to Braeburn. "What did you do, Brae?"

Braeburn stifled a snicker. He couldn't wait to see her reaction to this. "Ah didn't do a thing."

"Go ahead and call her over here Twi'," said Applejack. "Hopefully she won't be asleep in a tree somewhere."

"Or in a cloud," the unicorn commented with a grin. Without another word, Twilight's horn burst into a bright, violet shade of magic. The light shot out and into the sky, exploding into a large display of crackling sparks high overhead. They waited as the simulated firework fizzled out, and even a moment after. Just before Braeburn started to doubt whether or not their friend had seen it, the faint sound of a speeding pegasus echoed over the orchard. Above the forest to the East came a cyan blur, its trail lined with every color of the rainbow. But before Daring could identify the pony, she landed at a long skid, sliding across the grass on her hooves a few yards behind Twilight. The pegasus had a messy mane bearing bright shades of six colors, her tail similarly-hued. Her eyes were the same shade of rose as Daring's, highlighting the subtle differences between the two pegasi. Showing bright against her sky-blue coat was a cutie mark of a cloud, erupting with a multicolored bolt of lightning.

The archaeologist next to Braeburn immediately recognized her idol, and her face could only be described as priceless. Her jaw looked as if it were on the verge of simply falling off her skull. Her eyes were wider than he ever thought possible. The other pegasus wasn't looking in their direction, but to Twilight and Applejack with her eyes half-closed. The cyan mare yawned heavily, not bothering to cover her mouth. "Ugh, so now can I ask why you had me wake up before sunri-"

But her sentence only lasted the briefest of moments, for her eyes had finally focused on the other pegasus. As if they hadn't already looked enough like each other, the blue mare's face practically mirrored Daring's. Braeburn, Twilight and Applejack couldn't do much to hold their snickers; the sight was simply too great.

"You!" Daring Do and Rainbow Dash exclaimed in perfect unison, their voices only a few octaves apart.

The cyan mare cocked her head back. "Me? Wait, hold on! Y-You're really a...Are you actually Daring Do?!"

"She sure is!" Braeburn grinned, giving the archaeologist a hit to the shoulder. "And she's yer biggest fan to boot!"

"Braeburn!" Daring hissed, her face flushing. She then turned back to bewildered Rainbow Dash. "Well, kind of, actually. I've heard of your flight prowess, and I've kinda...I've actually always wanted to meet you, especially after hearing that you achieved the Sonic Rainboom! Stunt Flying has been kind of a hobby of mine, and you've been sort of a...a role model for me."

If her previous expression wasn't priceless, her next one definitely was. "No way! The Daring Do...I...This is so cool!" she exclaimed, flying right over to Daring and shaking her hoof. "I can't believe you're actually real! Hey, I've got an idea! Did you wanna go for a quick fly? I can show you a bunch of cool moves if you want!"

Daring's eyes lit up. "Really? That'd be great!" she said, her voice cracking with elation. She turned back to Braeburn, her eyes filled with gratitude. He didn't say a word, but merely nodded his head toward the sky. She smiled in response, and the two pegasi immediately took off into the clouds above. Applejack barked out a laugh, holding a hoof over her mouth.

"My stars, Ah've never seen RD so giddy before!" she laughed. "It was like watchin' a filly meet the Wonderbolts or somethin'!"

Even Twilight uttered a quiet giggle, although she did a better job of hiding it. "I think that you've lost your marefriend Braeburn."

"Yeah, Ah...wait, what?" he stammered, taking his eyes off the sky to stare at Twilight.

"Daring," the unicorn clarified. "Your...oh! I'm sorry, I just assumed...well by the way she was looking at you I just thought you two were dating."

"What?" he chuckled nervously. "Me and Daring? That's just...wait. What did ya' mean by 'the way she was lookin' at me?'"

"Ya' didn't notice that?" asked Applejack incredulously, joining her unicorn friend to sit under the large apple tree. Braeburn sat next to his cousin, trying to extrapolate their meaning with a look. "Even when you and Ah first met Daring, she was lookin' at you like a foal at an apple pie. If that mare isn't sweet on ya', then Ah'm a danged griffon."

"See? It's not just me," Twilight commented.

"Now Ah don't know what yer talkin' 'bout cousin. She's just grateful! Can't two ponies just be friends without nothin' romantic happenin'?" he demanded as politely as he could.

Applejack only snorted. "Yeah, if they aren't you two. Ya' know what Ah saw last night on the train ride over here? After we both fell asleep, ya' woke me up with yer snorin'."

"Ah don't snore!"

"Cousin, let me talk," she said flatly. "Daring was still awake, and she didn't notice that Ah was too. If ya' saw how long she was just sittin' there staring at ya', then ya' wouldn't be arguin' with me right now. Ya' should've seen the look in her eyes, cousin. She just looked so...sad, but there was somethin' else. Just...fondness, Ah guess."

"Aww, really? That's adorable," Twilight noted, a small smile playing on her lips.

Braeburn, however, was speechless. He didn't need to ask if it was true or not, for the look on his cousin's face was confirmation enough. She wasn't lying. But did that really mean that Daring felt something for him? It didn't make sense. What had he done for her to look at him that way? To Braeburn's confusion, he felt his cheeks warm up with a swift flow of blood. He found himself pawing absentmindedly at the soft grass, rethinking his entire relationship with the archaeologist.

"Hey AJ, what do you think is redder; his cutie mark or his face?" Twilight grinned, instilling a chuckle from the both of them. Braeburn, however, didn't find the situation humorous at all. "But Braeburn...have you ever had a marefriend before?"

"No...Not at all," he answered, unembarrassed by the fact. "Ah never really had time fer it. Life's just been...well, work Ah guess."

"Well, how do you feel about Daring?" she asked, her voice warm and comforting despite her previous jibe.

That was truly a great question. Now that Applejack had mentioned the concept of the pegasus' possible affection, he had no idea. Now that their friendship had been questioned, the stallion was confused. He had never felt such an emotion before. The mere thought of the archaeologist warmed his heart now. When they first met, Braeburn was only grateful that he could have been friends with the actual Daring Do, that she was a real pony. As they spent more time together, he began to truly know her. She had shared perhaps her innermost secrets with him. She trusted him. But now...now it was different. Now he noticed her, actually noticed her. The pegasus had a certain way about her. Daring Do wasn't the typical feminine mare, nor was she tomcoltish like ponies had perceived Applejack at times. She was something in between, the kind of mare that just didn't exist. Not only was she beautiful, but she had a fire in her soul; a need for excitement and a love for life in general. Daring was just the kind of pony Braeburn had been waiting for, even if he hadn't realized it yet.

"Ah...Ah don't know anymore..."


"Okay, now do that again! This time try to pull up a little faster!"

"Right!"

Daring leaped off the cloud she had stationed herself on. Her wings were tucked close to her sides, letting her free fall straight down. Her wings burned from overuse, unused to working this hard and this much, but she didn't care. The actual Rainbow Dash was coaching her! It didn't matter how much it hurt; she was going to pull this trick off.

The dark-yellow pegasus spread her wings and drove them down as hard as she could, sending her upwards and into a tight loop. At the apex of the arch, she twisted her body around in a tight corkscrew. Daring recalled her coach's brief lessons and leaned her entire body into the spin. The cyan mare's advice was more than useful. As she tucked her legs in, the previously-difficult corkscrew became as easy as walking. She was in complete control of the spin, and was able to fly out of it and land next to Rainbow Dash with unprecedented ease.

"Yes!" she exclaimed in pure elation, throwing her forehooves into the air.

"Alright! Now that's what I'm talking about!" Dash grinned, bumping the other mare's hoof with her own. "You did that perfectly! You sure you've never done that before?"

"Never! That trick has confounded me for years! I guess all it took was a basic idea," Daring said, panting slightly.

Rainbow took notice of her fatigue, casting a glance to Daring's wings. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she exhaled. "I'm just not used to flying so much."

"Well if you hang around, I'll get you more used to the idea," said Rainbow smugly. "But you should take a break for now. You don't want to overexert your wings. I don't wanna see you get a cramp and fall outta the sky."

Daring smiled, letting herself relax atop the plush cloud. "Thanks Rainbow Dash. This was really kind of you."

"Hey, no problem. I'm still kinda surprised that you're real. I mean, I know the books are meant for fillies and colts, but I still enjoy the hay outta them."

"Of course, the books," Daring sighed. "Yeah, the writer and illustrator used my job and likeness, but the tales are...mostly fictitious."

"Well yeah, I figured that," Rainbow smirked. "But what do you mean by mostly fictitious?"

"That's something I don't tend to talk about," she said politely. "But I will tell you that the first book was the most accurate."

"That's so cool!" she grinned. "So what's it like? Being an...uh..."

"An archaeologist?" Daring finished for her. "It's awesome. It may not always be as glamorous or exciting as the Tomb of the Sapphire Statue, but what I do makes me who I am, and I love it. The excitement of finding a lost artifact, or even evidence of an ancient civilization. But ever since I saw the newspaper article about your Sonic Rainboom, I've always wanted to try my wings at aerial acrobatics. I just can't believe that I got a lesson from the one and only."

To her surprise, a slight shade of pink tinged Rainbow's cyan cheeks. "Hehe, thanks! So I gotta ask, what have you been doing with Braeburn?"

"You'll read about it in the papers soon enough," said Daring. "He actually helped me find something extraordinary out in Dodge Junction. It's a long story."

"I like stories," Dash perked up with a grin. "And newspapers are boring! I'd rather hear about it from you."

"Oh, well...it's just complicated, and I've already told the story twice..." she explained, her previous uplifted mood dwindling downward.

"Complicated, huh?" Dash repeated, looking down to the orchards below. "Is it about AJ's cousin?"

Daring instinctively gritted her teeth, her eye twitching violently. She couldn't hide the heat rising to her face. Luckily, Rainbow Dash didn't seem to be the most perceptive of ponies. "No, it's not...It's not something I really want to talk about Rainbow."

"Oh, sorry," she said awkwardly. "Well, did you wanna get back to flying?"

She opened her mouth to reply, but instead stopped. Now that Rainbow put her mind back into the depressing thought, staying in Ponyville for another moment seemed far too painful. She looked down to the ground below, immediately finding the stallion that made her heart ache. She couldn't stick around anymore. If Daring didn't leave now, she would never be able to.

"Actually, I really shouldn't," she started. She didn't wish to delve too deep into her problems in front of Rainbow Dash, but felt that she deserved a least some sort of explanation. "I'm leaving town today, perhaps even the country for a while. I'd love to stick around and hang out with you and everypony else, but I just can't. I've been blaming myself for things that weren't my fault for years, and I need to just get away from everything and just...find myself, I guess. It's just complicated, I wouldn't expect you to understand."

The cyan pegasus cocked her head back.

"O-Oh," said Rainbow. "Well...that was sudden, but...I may not know what happened to you, but I think I understand. But...do you really have to leave because of it? I mean, we just met and I'd love to get to know you more."

That made Daring's heart ache. "I have to. I want to get to know you more too, but I need to be alone for a while."

"Well...will you come back?" Dash asked, sounding like a filly watching her older sister move away.

Daring found herself hesitating. "I don't know. I sure hope so."

Rainbow Dash looked as if she were trying to hide her disappointment, but it was all too evident. Guilt flooded through Daring's veins, forcing her to wrap the cyan pegasus in a hug. Dash recoiled slightly, but ultimately returned the gesture. After the yellow mare let go, she gave her new friend a reassuring smile. "I really hope so."


Braeburn busied himself by releasing a swift buck to a nearby tree, being rewarded with a few red delicious apples. They were a variety that he missed about the North, completely unlike the yellow Appleloosans that he was used to. He gathered a few of them from the grass in his foreleg and returned to the tree where Applejack and Twilight sat. While he was gone, they had apparently delved into their own conversation, more than likely to catch up after their absence. Braeburn kept quiet, only nodding as the two mares thanked him for the fruits he gave them. The beige stallion sat on his haunches and distracted his muddled mind with the tasty fruit. He ate not with hunger, but with desperation. Anything he could do to think about something else was favorable. However, his absentminded bites and chews only freed his thoughts to roam around his head. Perhaps he did look at the archaeologist that way. He wasn't entirely certain, but the steady thumps in his chest seemed to be crystal clear. Thankfully, he wasn't forced to dwell on it for too long.

From the skies above came the two pegasi, soaring alongside each other in what looked like a practiced manner. They seemed to be talking about something humorous, for they were laughing during their entire descent. As they landed, they were greeted by Twilight and Applejack.

"Done so soon?" the orange mare asked. "Ah thought you two would be in the sky all day."

"I would love to, but I actually have to go," said Daring. Braeburn's head shot up, his gaze flying over to the pegasus. She didn't look back at him, but he noticed her eyes flash in his general direction.

"What? But you just got here!" Twilight said with disappointment. "Why do you need to leave?"

"There's a few things I need to take care of," she replied. "You know, interviews and confirmations about our findings out in Dodge."

Braeburn furrowed his brow, focusing on her strained expression. She was wincing her eyes, not looking directly at any of them. Her injured forehoof was tapping ever-so slightly against a rock in the grass, and even her wings seemed to flutter a little. Daring was lying. What was she hiding? He and Applejack exchanged a look of suspicion.

"Well," the orange mare started. "Ah hope we see ya' again."

"Yeah, me too," Rainbow Dash agreed. Daring's eyes fell from them, filling with a look of guilt. Twilight looked back to Braeburn with a solemn expression, which he didn't return.

"Brae?" Daring said out of the blue, finally looking him in the eye. "Before I go, can we talk...in private?"

"O' course."

Before they walked away, Daring bid farewell to the three mares, and even exchanged a few hugs. Braeburn waited patiently, and eventually walked her back to the dirt road that led to Ponyville. Once they were far out of earshot, they stopped on the rough path. The pegasus immediately looked him dead in the eyes, her magnificent rose iris' duller than usual. There was something very wrong about her. It was as if something was tearing her up from the inside, like a secret she had waited too long to share. Was it really true? If it was, then why was she leaving?

"What's goin' on Daring?" he asked quietly. "Ya' don't have anywhere to be, not that Ah know of anyway."

"Brae..." her voice cracked, emotion seeping through. "...I have a few things to say before I go."

"Go? Where in the hay are ya' goin'?"

"Braeburn please," she pleaded, almost on the verge of tears. "...just let me say this...For the past seven years, I've been living my life on a path of guilt and self-loathing. I've blamed myself for everything that has happened to me, my parents and even Dusty Trails. In that time, I've never been able to just take a step back and see who I am. All I've done is keep to myself in the dark, and search the edges of the Earth for lost and forgotten places and artifacts. I can't really explain it all that well, I guess. But...the day you saved me from that bandit in Dodge, the first time I laid eyes on you, something happened to me. I felt something that I hadn't in so many years, something that I hadn't let myself feel. Then I came to your house in Appleloosa, and I met the best friend a pony could have. You've done so much for me Braeburn, and not just by saving my life twice. You opened up a door I've kept locked tight for so long, and I don't know how to deal with it. I'm afraid of it, even."

At this point, her large, beautiful eyes had started to brim with tears, but she bravely continued: "Because of all that's happened to me, my emotions can't be trusted for right now. If I stay here with you, I might make a mistake. I don't wanna ruin our friendship, but I can't stop...I can't stop thinking about you. But I don't know if it's real or not, and I will never know for sure if I stay. I need to leave for a while Braeburn. I d-don't know where or for how long, but I need to be alone and away from h-here. I need to find out who I really am. Because quite frankly, I have no clue. Listen to me, confessing this when I don't even know how you feel..."

Braeburn felt his face heat up once again, but he didn't try to hide that, nor the small hiccup in his throat or the tears in his eyes. "All this may be new to me, but...I know that Ah d-don't wanna see you w-walk away right now."

"I have to Brae," she said weakly, a line of moisture streaking her trembling cheek. "It's not just about you, it's about every single aspect of my life. I could never ask you to know how I feel, but I beg of you, please understand. I need to do this."

"Daring, Ah...Ah can understand, but please don't do this. We can figure this out together, Ah'll help ya' every step o' the way...No, yer right. There's nothin' Ah can do to help ya'. But...will ya' come back?"

The crying mare answered by wrapping him in a tight embrace, squeezing his neck with all of her strength. Braeburn felt her shoulders shudder with a quiet sob, and he found himself doing something similar. "Not until I can find myself Brae. But..." Daring let go, holding him by his forehooves. "Will you...will you wait for me?"

The question seemed odd at first, but he was able to grasp her meaning. "Ah will."

The mare gave a weak smile as she stood up, Braeburn slowly following suit. "Okay, if I stay here any longer I won't be able to leave. I-I have to go."

Braeburn sniffed, wiping the tears from his eyes. He forced himself to gather his composure, but found it exceedingly difficult. For the first time in his life, the workhorse had finally found that special somepony, and she had to leave. He couldn't blame her; the mare had simply been through too much in her life. If their roles had been reversed, Braeburn imagined that he would do the same thing. He had a certain three words on the tip of his tongue, but knew that voicing them would only hinder her plan. He couldn't do that to her, not now.

"Thank you for everything, Braeburn," she said with a quivering voice.

Before he could reply, the pegasus turned on a hoof and bolted into the sky and immediately out of sight over the forest to the East, back toward Ponyville's train station. She disappeared, just like that. The most wonderful thing to happen to the stallion left just as quick as it had entered; in the blink of an eye. Braeburn fell back to his haunches, clamping his eyes shut as they spilled over with a fresh flow of tears.

The sound of careful hoofsteps came from behind him, but Braeburn paid them no attention. Even when he felt a foreleg wrap around him, he didn't open his eyes.

"Rainbow told us what she's doin'," came Applejack's soft voice, the pony that was hugging him. "Ah'm sorry cousin. Ah know what she means to ya'."

"S'alright AJ," he whispered, wiping his eyes for a final time. He opened them to find the three mares around him, all wearing looks of sorrow. "That mare deserves to be alone fer a while. She's been through more than any pony should have to deal with. Ah may be sad but...Ah have a feeling that Ah'll see her again. Maybe not fer a long time, but Ah will."

Braeburn looked up to the spot where Daring Do had disappeared to find that the sun had finally risen, casting a bright orange glow across the land. It was as if the world was trying to reassure him that everything was going to be alright. Truthfully, he knew that it would be. He had his family and friends around him, and a small fortune waiting at home. He had done it; he had successfully revived the Appleloosan farm, and even given them some financial leeway. The pegasus that made it all happen may have left, but what she had left behind was more than enough to be grateful for.

Some ponies say that all you need in times of need is a little miracle, something seemingly impossible by the normal means of the natural world. Some ponies, however, do not believe in such fairy tales. To the average cynic or skeptic, such events can be clearly described as coincidence. There are even some that do not wish to believe, only until something extraordinary happens to them. What changes your life can also have a great impact on how you live it; how you perceive it. Anything can change when fate is questioned, especially when it's altered for the good, the bad or even both. Sometimes, all a pony needs in his life is a little miracle.

-The End-