• Published 15th Apr 2012
  • 14,909 Views, 590 Comments

Treasure in the West - DiveBomb



Braeburn and Daring Do team up to find Cunning the Colt's lost and forgotten treasure.

  • ...
12
 590
 14,909

Ten - Both Sides of the Coin

"Boy howdy! That was some good eatin', huh girls?" Applejack exclaimed across the round kitchen table. She leaned back in her chair, patting her full stomach with a hoof. Across the table were two other mares, both slumped over its surface with half-opened eyes. Rainbow Dash rested her cheek to the table, exhausted from the full day of hard work in the summer heat. Twilight Sparkle did well to mind her manners, but ultimately couldn't hide her fatigue. In front of each mare was an empty plate and glass, only a few crumbs of sandwich bread left behind. Bullet Tyme allowed himself a small snicker from the kitchen counter, absentmindedly washing the dishes. It may have sounded cruel when taken out of context, but he was glad that his niece's friends were so exhausted. Hard work would only do them good.

"It certainly was," the violet unicorn murmured. "Thank you again Mister Apple."

"Yer welcome Twilight, but it's not 'Mister Apple.' Just call me Bullet," he replied, rinsing off a plate.

"Oh, well thank you Bullet," she said, giving the cyan pegasus next to her a sidelong poke to the shoulder. Rainbow Dash, however, was already fast asleep, slumped over the table. Twilight groaned with a roll of her eyes, evidently unable to summon the energy to wake her. "Of course."

"Don't worry 'bout her Twi'. Ya'll worked hard today," Applejack chuckled. "If ya' want, you two can stay the night and leave in the mornin'."

"Oh good," the unicorn sighed in relief. "I was not looking forward to a train ride home tonight. You don't mind, do you Bullet?"

"Not at all. Anypony that's a friend o' AJ's is a friend o' mine," replied the stallion, his back to them as he continued his work on the dishes.

Applejack assisted her uncle by collecting everypony's plates, giving the slumbering Rainbow Dash an unnoticed noogie along the way. She then deposited the dirty glassware into the sink in front of Bullet Tyme. Usually a full day's worth of hard work would bring a sense of pride to the orange earth pony, but nothing more than relief flooded her mind. The heat had certainly taken a toll not only on Twilight and Rainbow Dash, but her as well. Applejack thanked Celestia that the sun had finally started to set outside the window above the sink, casting a brilliant pink glow across the Appleloosan orchard. She allowed herself a moment to gaze at the beautiful vista, leaning her elbows on the counter top with her cheeks in her forehooves.

"Hey AJ?" came Twilight's voice, breaking the orange mare from her stupor. "Is your cousin here? I haven't seen him at all."

"Braeburn? He's actually out...deliverin' apples," Applejack replied sheepishly, searching for an excuse for his absence. The farmpony promised Daring Do that she wouldn't betray her existence, and she intended to do just that.

"Oh just tell her what that boy is doin'," Bullet Tyme hissed, a scowl on his face.

"Ya' don't know who that mare is Uncle B. S'not that easy."

"Some kinda con-artist or somethin'. S'all Ah need'ta know."

"Con-artist?" Twilight repeated from the background. Applejack groaned inwardly, her mind racing for any sort of viable explanation. She let out an audible sigh, knowingly beaten. There wasn't a way in Equestria she could pull a veil over the perceptive unicorn's eyes. "Oh! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to eavesdrop."

"Not a problem at all Twilight," Bullet replied, his voice gruff and full of disdain. "My son was fool enough to-"

"Uncle B!" Applejack interjected hotly, stomping a hoof to the floor in protest. Bullet Tyme responded by tossing a plate back into the sink, departing the kitchen without another word. The unicorn at the table looked between the doorway and the orange mare, her expression flabbergasted. Applejack attempted a reassuring grin, but realized just how feeble it really was.

"What's going on Applejack? Did something happen to Braeburn?" asked Twilight, her fatigue replaced by a genuine concern.

"S'not what my Uncle thinks Twi', really," Applejack replied hastily, waving a dismissive hoof. Twilight narrowed her eyes as she stood up and walked around the table. She stopped in front of the farmpony, tilting her head with a level expression. The unicorn lowered her eyelids, making sure that Applejack knew of her suspicion. The orange mare sighed, dropping her transparent guise and looking to the old, wooden floorboards between them. "Aww, ponyfeathers."

"Applejack, I don't mean to intrude on your family's business, but it sounds like your cousin's in trouble," Twilight said. "Forgive me if I'm prying, but...is he?"

"Twilight..." Applejack started, unaware of how to approach such a topic. She danced on her hooves, berating herself for what she was about to say. "...what Ah'm about to tell ya' can't be shared with anypony. Ah made a promise to the mare that Braeburn left with, and Ah shouldn't even be tellin' you. Can ya' do me a favor, and keep the next five minutes to yerself?"

"Of course Applejack," the violet unicorn replied. "But maybe you should tell me in the other room. You know, in case Rainbow Dash wakes up."

"Right, good thinkin'," she commented, casting a glance to the unconscious mare, her head and torso sprawled out over the table. The pegasus snored quietly, her cheek rested upon her foreleg. Judging by her track record, Applejack was certain that Rainbow Dash would be difficult to wake. With a nod, the farmer led Twilight out of the kitchen and into the living room. The unicorn kicked her hooves off the floor, making sure they weren't carrying any sort of dirt before settling herself on the enormous couch. Before Applejack could follow suit, something caught her eye by the door.

Upon the floor mat was the weekly newspaper, directly below the mail slot in the door. Normally something as mundane as a newspaper would never attract her attention, but having her cousin's well-being put into question, Applejack found the need to make sure. She stepped over to the door, picking up the rolled newspaper with her teeth before settling into the recliner across from Twilight, whom was waiting patiently. In fact, she sat up on her haunches and read the headline along with Applejack once the paper was spread out upon the coffee table. At the sight of the large, bold lettering, Applejack wished that she had read it before setting it in front of Twilight.

At the top of the front page was the headline: DODGE JUNCTION'S NEW HERO. Two jaws dropped at the sight of the photograph below, which showed a stallion with a long mane. He wore the signature cowpony hat that Applejack knew all too well, accompanied with a matching vest. The riflepony was crouching low behind a stone well, his weapon pointed off into the distance. Despite the poor quality of the photograph, the orange mare automatically knew it to be her cousin. Somehow she was able to make out the distinctive etching on the receiver of the rifle. There was no questioning it.

“Oh my gosh!” Twilight exclaimed, placing one hoof over her mouth and the other to the newspaper. “Applejack, is that Braeburn?!

Applejack merely nodded, reading the rest of the article intently: In the past few months, the once peaceful town of Dodge Junction seems to have become a crossroads for bandits and criminals alike. The friendly townsfolk of the dusty settlement have become more and more reluctant to do so much as leave their homes because of this. But even in the darkest of nights, dawn is ultimately inevitable.

Yesterday at high-noon, the infamous bandit leader Sure Shot managed to escape imprisonment and evade recapture by Dodge Junction's Sheriff Goldstar McCain. In the middle of the pursuit, Goldstar, Deputy Conners and the bandit leader broke out into a dangerous gunfight. Almost reminiscent of the tales of Cunning the Colt, the shootout took place directly in front of town hall. According to eye-witnesses, it looked as if Sure Shot was only one bullet away from taking the sheriff's life when Dodge Junction was granted a new hero.

As if from nowhere, Braeburn Apple made his presence known with one amazing shot, successfully taking the bandit leader out of commission without killing him. Unsurprisingly, the esteemed riflepony is none other than the son of Dodge's finest shooter, Bullet Tyme. The two currently reside in the nearby town of Appleloosa, so it goes without saying that we are incredibly lucky for Braeburn's sudden appearance. Unfortunately, the stallion was unable to stay for questioning, but we at Western Weekly intend to get an interview at some point in the future.

Sure Shot is currently being held in a high-security vault in Dodge Junction's underground facilities, a mile outside of town. No need to worry citizens, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Even if he does, I feel confident that our new gun-slinging champion will take care of him with swift justice.

Applejack and Twilight gaped at the article for several minutes, rereading it a few times. The orange mare knew that her cousin was a born riflepony, but Braeburn was never one for confrontation. She had heard of the infamous bandit before, and the stories told nothing but his cruelty and innate rifle prowess.

"That's...amazing," Twilight gasped. "I didn't know Braeburn was a shooter."

"That dumb, cotton-pickin', hardheaded fool!" Applejack spat, a mild anger arising within her. "What in the hay is he doin' gettin' anywhere near that bandit?! Doesn't he know how dangerous that pony is?"

"Well AJ, I don't mean to be rude, but it looks like he kind of took care of it himself," Twilight said in a calming tone.

"Ah don't care what he did! He's my cousin, and he's out there makin' me more worried than a June bug in a thunderstorm! He could'a died Twilight! He could'a put Daring in danger, or even-"

"Wait, what did you just say?" the unicorn interrupted, stopping her with a raised hoof. Suddenly Applejack's irritation vanished, and she realized what had come out of her mouth. As she pondered how to answer Twilight's question, the orange mare managed to spot Daring's monochromatic tail in the corner of the front page photograph. While the article hadn't mentioned her accompanying Braeburn, Applejack was certain that other ponies would eventually pick up on her tail, if they already hadn't. The farmpony pointed at the corner of the picture, and her friend traced it with her eyes. Twilight's eyebrows shot to the ceiling, her lips parting in shock. "H-Hold on...You didn't mean Daring Do...did you?"

With a final sigh, Applejack retold the events of Braeburn's discovery of his new talent, and then of Daring Do's arrival. The entire time she spoke, the lavender mare couldn't seem to shake her look of absolute shock. Her eyes were as wide as saucers, looking as if she hadn't been exhausted from a long day's work. When Applejack finished, she waited patiently for her friend to take in the information.

"So...you're telling me that Daring Do is a real pony?" she asked quietly.

"Not only Daring, but Ah guess Cunning the Colt was too," said the farmer. "But Ah told Daring that Ah wouldn't tell nopony 'bout her, so don't tell nopony, especially Rainbow Dash."

"Wow, that's a real shame," Twilight commented, putting a hoof to her chin. "Rainbow would love to know about her."

"As much as Ah would love to see RD flip a biscuit over meetin' her, Daring said she didn't want to make herself known," Applejack chuckled, picturing the scenario.

"Do you think she'd let me meet her?" Twilight asked, suddenly beaming with excitement. "Even if the books weren't accurate as you said, I would still love to hear about her findings first-hoof!"

"Well Ah don't know 'bout that," Applejack said. "Ah don't know when they're gettin' back, but Ah just hope they're okay."


The sound of whirring gears echoed throughout the cavern, clicking and clunking at high speeds. The two ponies watched in awe as the towering door split down the middle with a resounding crash of stone, save for the curve of the ovular lock. A plume of dust erupted from every corner of the frame, wafting a musty scent into their noses. The door swung inward a few inches, giving them a view of nothing but darkness beyond. However, it wasn't the passage opening that was causing Braeburn's horror; it was what opened it in the first place.

Thumper protruded from the lock, its barrel pointing towards him. Braeburn could only stare at it, his eyes darting around the weapon. It was as if he was looking upon the rifle for the first time, for now he saw it in a whole new light. The earth pony fell to his haunches as Daring yanked Thumper loose from the door. The pegasus held it in her forehooves, gaping in awe. Neither of them could believe it. Not only was Cunning the Colt a real pony, but the same Marechester he wielded was in their very presence.

"This is amazing!" came Daring's voice, high-pitched and excited. "To think what this gun has seen, whom it was fired at...Brae?"

Braeburn turned his eyes upward from the floor, gathering his composure. He found Daring landing in front of him with a flap of her wings, Thumper in her forehooves. She tilted her head at him, confusion in her eyes. "Brae? What's wrong? You should be happy! You have the coolest lineage I have ever seen!"

"Ah don't think it's so cool," he whispered, taking the Marechester back into his own hooves. Suddenly Thumper wasn't an item he felt comfortable holding anymore. The stigma that surrounded the rifle was now something he didn't want any part of. It didn't feel like the family heirloom he once knew, but a tool used for nothing but evil. Daring was all too correct: it was the gun that took the West from the law, something that Braeburn had always followed. The stallion knew who he was, but having such an infamous criminal for an ancestor made him feel tainted, as if his soul was somehow worth less than before.

"It's because he was a criminal, right?" she asked, uttering a chuckle. "Come on Brae, you and I both know that Cunning has nothing to do with who you are. He was a bandit, but you are a freaking hero."

"What?" he asked quietly, the last word catching his attention.

"A hero," she repeated, her tone serious, but not without a small smile. "Here's the difference between you and the Colt of the West: You were the one who saved the sheriff from being killed. Cunning would have been the one shooting at him. Get it? Just because you share the same blood doesn't mean you're the same pony. Now get up, and let's see what he left behind."

Daring Do stood back up, returning Thumper to its scabbard on his back for him after replacing the metal butt-plate to the rear stock, which took several minutes. She then offered a helping hoof, which Braeburn accepted. With a grunt of effort, the earth pony returned to his hooves, wincing at the throbbing pain in his back. The mare leaned against him, supporting his weight. At this, the stallion's pride completely disappeared, but something distracted his mind from dwelling on such oppressive thoughts.

"One hoof at a time Brae, I'll get you outta here."

Something about her tone was different. She had a certain warmth despite the cold water that dripped from their coats. Without hearing the story of her previous life, Braeburn may not have noticed it before. After the harrowing tale of Daring's life-long sorrow had been told, the earth pony felt far closer to her than he ever would have imagined. It was like he had known her for years, regardless of the fact that they were acquainted only days ago. Braeburn felt a sudden pang of affection grow within his battered chest, grateful to have such a kindhearted pony for a friend.

The stallion stopped once they were in front of the door, forcing Daring to follow suit. "Hold on a second."

"What's up Brae?" she asked, without her usual hurried tone. Daring gave him some room, although still holding him up with a hoof to his shoulder. Braeburn had what he needed to say on the tip of his tongue, but somehow couldn't put it into words. Or rather, he couldn't push them past his lips. Instead, he snorted out a breath through his nose, looking to the stone floor in contemplation. She didn't say a word, but merely waited with uncharacteristic patience. With every passing second, he found the possibility of voicing his thoughts fading away. It simply wasn't the time or place, nor was it actually important...objectively anyway.

"N-Nevermind. It's nothin'."

"What? Are you sure? Is it your back or something?"

"No, it's fine. Let's just get to it," he dismissed, walking away from Daring's touch. Disregarding every scream of agony that his nerves were crying out, Braeburn drove his shoulder to the enormous door. He ignored the mare's words of concern, and pushed the left door just far enough for them to pass through. The weight of the towering steel didn't seem to be held by any sort of hinges that eased the workload. Instead, it felt as if he were pushing the entirety of the weight through a thick quagmire. Once the opening was large enough to walk through, the workhorse felt his right foreleg buckle from exhaustion. He shook off Daring, whom had tried to help him once again.

"We need light," he panted, bypassing whatever Daring was about to say. "Ah can't imagine that ya' wanna carry that flaming stone over there, so we'll need our lanterns. Are they still wet?"

The pegasus removed the lantern from her bags, flicking the ignition switch with a click. To their surprise, the wick in the glass casing burst forth into a bright, yellow flame. Suddenly the entire alcove around them was illuminated, although barely. The fire light brightened the tunnel through the steel doors, revealing its pristine detail. The pathway was carved directly through solid stone and earth, with the same dimensions as the door frame. Every corner was neat and perfectly angled, the walls flat and parallel. Braeburn wasn't able to calculate just how far the tunnel ventured forth, for the light faded into the darkness just ten yards away.

"What d'ya think is down there?" Braeburn asked, his mind racing with theories.

"I...I dunno," she answered, leaning up against his shoulder again, supporting his weight. "This case is like nothing I've ever seen before. Usually I know what to expect around every corner of an expedition, but Cunning has made quick work of fooling me so far. We could be walking into anything Braeburn, so precaution is something we have to take seriously. If Cunning was able to build that trapdoor above us, then who knows what's ahead."

"Well we ain't gonna find out by just standin' here," said the stallion, ready to move ahead.

Daring stopped his movement by pressing her shoulder into his own. "Brae, hold on, this is important! You aren't in the best of conditions right now, and I need you to be overly-cautious, okay?"

Braeburn bit his lip in aggravation. She was right as always; there could be more traps ahead, and he wasn't ready to dodge a falling guillotine or anything of the sort. He loathed his current situation; being restricted by the agonizing pain that flooded his entire body. Braeburn couldn't afford to reject her advice, for it was the only way they would make it out alive. Without another word, Braeburn nodded and they drove onward, wary of every inch of the tunnel. They walked at a slow pace, their eyes traversing the walls, the floor and the ceiling. But after a few minutes, it seemed as though the pathway was safe.

"What will you do after this Braeburn?"

The stallion's head perked up in surprise, having not realized just how much time had passed. He cast a curious glance over his shoulder to find the light of the alcove they arrived in to be nothing more than a pinprick. Just how long was this tunnel? After he regained his thoughts, Braeburn contemplated her query. It seemed like an odd question at first, but once he analyzed her tone, her reasoning became more and more clear.

"Ya' mean after ya' pay me?" he chuckled. "Well, fixin' the farm is a must, so that's priority number one. Ah certainly can't let my Pa down after all this. Can't imagine he's feelin' too keen with me leavin' and all."

"I would have thought that rest and healing would be at the top of the list," she commented.

"One would think," he smiled. "Tell ya' what, a little R and R will be priority number two, and only 'cause ya' won't stop buggin' me 'bout it."

"Oh, I'm flattered," Daring droned sarcastically. "But really, what's life going to be like for you after this? I mean, I know you have your work on the farm, but what about this shooting thing? Are you going to do anything with that?"

Braeburn chewed on that idea for a moment. The thought hadn't seemed to cross his mind before then. The first thing that he recalled was his father's elation when he discovered his innate rifle prowess. As much as Braeburn loved his work on the farm, hearing Bullet Tyme's words of pride for his only son was far beyond comparison. He wondered what his life would have been like if he listened to his father as a colt and began shooting at an early age. Perhaps his flanks wouldn't be adorned with a single apple, but a crosshair or a bullet instead. Was farming truly his special talent anymore? Perhaps it didn't matter. A pony can be adept at more than one thing, so maybe his cutie mark only represented his most prominent talent as a colt.

"Ah might," he finally answered. "Ah guess Ah just live one step at a time. Never found the need to plan too many things out."

"Chuh. I actually envy that," Daring replied with a sense of longing. "Simplicity is something I can't seem to grasp."

"Oh, and why not? Ah thought ya' liked yer work."

"Yeah but sometimes it's...Braeburn watch out!"

The sudden shift in her sentence made Braeburn instinctively freeze on the spot, unable to see the plethora of holes in the floor and the walls. Before he could so much as blink, Daring shoved him forward and out of harm's way with all of her might. The stallion heard her utter a cry of pain as he slid across the smooth stone floor on his stomach. At the sound of her exasperated voice, Braeburn rolled to his hooves, grunting in effort. Gleaming in the fire light behind them was a veritable thicket of iron spikes, erupting from the floor and walls. Their points looked as if they could pierce solid steel with ease, one of which bearing a thin line of crimson. Between him and the booby-trap was Daring, wincing in a heap on the ground. The pegasus laid on her left side, holding her right foreleg close to her chest. Braeburn rushed over to her, worry etched into his face.

He gestured to her leg with a hoof, wordlessly asking to see the wound. She complied, revealing a deep gash that ran a few inches above her hoof. Braeburn couldn't help but recoil at the sight. "Oh no. Okay, gimme yer bags, Ah'll take care of it."

"I got it Brae, it's not that bad," she hissed between her teeth, rising to her haunches. However, her words didn't stop Braeburn from sliding her fallen saddlebags in front of himself, digging through its contents. He withdrew the white first aid kit, finding a roll of gauze and a bottle of peroxide. The stallion took her foreleg in his hooves, cleaning the wound with practiced ease. Injuries were plentiful in the life of a workhorse, even deep cuts such as this.

"Ya' helped me with my cuts back in town. S'only right that Ah returned the favor."

He quelled her retort with a painful splash of the disinfectant, rinsing the specks of metal from the wound. She remained quiet, staring at him with distant eyes. "See what I mean? We need to be overly-cautious."

"Yeah, yeah. Ah get it," he chuckled. Braeburn wrapped the gauze around her leg, patting down the adhesive that bound it together. "But thanks Daring, fer savin' me."

"Look at it this way, I only have to save your life one more time until we're even," she grinned. "Did your back instantly heal or something? You're moving freely again."

Braeburn furrowed his brow, rolling his shoulders and twisting his back a few times. To his astonishment, the stallion felt a dramatic decrease in the pain. It was still there, but not enough to restrict his movements or slow him down anymore.

"Well would ya' look at that!" he exclaimed, overjoyed. "Ya' must've pulled the muscle back in place or somethin'!"

"Well good. Now can I have my leg back?" Daring asked. Braeburn turned his head back around, finding that he was still holding onto her hoof with both of his own. He quickly retracted his hooves, fighting the rush of blood that arose to his face.

"Oh, sorry 'bout that," he chuckled, still overjoyed about his healed back. He stood up and stretched, elated that he was able to do so without being crippled by pain. Once he was satisfied, Braeburn helped Daring to her hooves, who wore an odd look as she sniffed the air.

"Brae, do you smell that?" she asked.

The stallion tried to catch whatever she was inquiring about, but found nothing out of the ordinary. "Naw."

"Really? It's pretty strong," she said, starting a slow pace down the tunnel. "It smells like...lantern oil."

"Ya' mean like the stuff fuelin' yer light source?" asked Braeburn sarcastically, trotting up next to her.

Daring rolled her eyes. "No, genius. Burning oil has a completely different scent. Standing fuel is what I'm smelling. Maybe you still have dirt up your nose from that fight at Final Chance."

Braeburn cringed at the memory. "Maybe-"

Before he could finish his reply, the two stopped as the fire light illuminated a larger area around them, indicating that the tunnel was opening into something much more vast. At the edge of the lantern's light was a descending slope, leveling out a few feet down the stone path. Daring led the way at a careful pace, her gaze traversing the walls around them. She stopped once the tunnel opened up, revealing a brick railing along each side of the slope. Atop each chest-high wall was a long pool of black liquid, extending far beyond the flickering fire light. Daring grinned brightly as she approached the source of the scent, running a quick hoof across the surface of the small pool.

The mare detached the lantern from her saddlebags, opening the small glass door before exposing the flame to the ancient fuel. With a burst of yellow light, a flame erupted atop the left brick railing. The fire trailed down the line, illuminating the room in front of them. As the oil ignited, a vast alcove appeared in front of them. The ceiling was at least seventy feet high, carved just as meticulously as the rest of the underground pathway. The fire trailed down and around, returning to them on the right. Braeburn and Daring Do gasped in surprise once the entire room was perfectly illuminated, as if the sun had shown through the ceiling.

In the middle of the vast circle of flames was a tall, platformed structure of dark granite. It consisted of four thick slabs, shrinking in size as it rose to form a triadic pyramid. Facing them was a wide staircase, ascending the front side of the underground tower, leading to a columned platform at the top. The sides of each slab were carved in an ornate scrolling pattern. The sight was extraordinary, but Daring Do seemed to become more and more excited by the second.

"Oh...my...gosh..." she whispered, her voice quivering with elation. "But...this looks like a Mesoequestrian temple. Why would Cunning have built this? What is its purpose?"

"Ah don't know, but ya' ain't gonna find out by askin' me," he replied, his gaze darting around the structure in front of them. Daring Do chuckled in agreement. The archaeologist then dove her muzzle into her bags, retrieving a thick scroll of cloth. She untied the brown string with her teeth, and unraveled it to reveal its contents. The beige linen bore a number of pockets and loops, all securing differing kinds of tools. Daring withdrew a large magnifying glass and a pickaxe. Both had a loop attached to it, meant for securing the tools to a hoof.

The bright-eyed mare looked up to him, a wide grin spread across her face. "Like I said, it's my time to shine."