• Published 3rd Jul 2014
  • 3,300 Views, 88 Comments

Bearers of Harmony - PurpleFire135



When Applejack and Twilight decide to have a foal, Twilight works a little magic to get the job done, though there are unexpected consequences when all of the mane six wake up the next day, all expecting their own little bundle of joy.

  • ...
6
 88
 3,300

Chapter Two

“Hello girls! Sorry I’m late!” Twilight called as she walked into Sugar Cube Corner. Pinkie and Fluttershy were already sitting at a table at the edge of the room, near the kitchen door.

“Twilight!” Pinkie yelled. “We’re over here!” She said, waving her hooves in the air. The toddler in her lap giggled.

Twilight laughed too as she pulled up a chair. “Sorry, I got a little caught up with research this morning.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it!” Fluttershy said kindly. “We’ve been having a fun time waiting, gives me a chance to see little Coco, doesn’t it?” Fluttershy cooed at Pinkie’s two-year old daughter, whose full name was Chocolate Strawberry, obviously named because her pink body and brown mane made her look exactly like her namesake. Twilight and Pinkie smiled.

“Okie dokie, little loki! Time to go see your Daddy! Mommy’s having lunch with her friend-ies!” Pinkie giggled as she swung Coco up onto her back and walked the both of them into the kitchen.

“Daddy!” Coco could be heard yelling from the other room.

“Come here my little sugar-dumplin’!” Cheese responded.

Fluttershy looked at Twilight and smiled. “They are such a cute family.” She sighed. “I wish Rainbow wasn’t gone so much…” She trailed off, looking wistfully at the door to the kitchen. Twilight wrapped a wing around Fluttershy, a gesture she had learned was very comforting to pegasi, even more so than a usual hug.

“I know it’s hard, but at least you know Rainbow is happy living her dreams, and she knows you’ll be here when she gets back.” Twilight told Fluttershy.

“I know that, and I’m happy for her. I just miss her I guess. I never realized how hard long distance relationships can be! I want to be with her, but I could never keep up with the Wonderbolt’s tour schedule, let alone leave all my animals behind! I mean, who would take care of all of them?!” Fluttershy rambled and then laughed. “I know I’m being silly, it’s just weird, since I’m used to having her around.” Twilight nodded.

They all missed Rainbow Dash… and Rarity too, for that matter. They had both gone off to follow their dreams, Dash joining the Wonderbolts and Rarity opening new boutiques, first in Canterlot and then in Manehatten. All their friends were happy for the two of them, but it was different having them gone.

Fluttershy sighed and sat up. “So, how’s Applejack?” She asked Twilight, clearly trying to change the subject. Pinkie suddenly popped up from behind them. Fluttershy squeaked in surprise.

“Yeah! Too bad she’s so busy all the time! I baked a whole batch of apple cupcakes this morning!” Pinkie chimed in as she sat back down at the table.

Twilight suddenly had an idea, “Do you have any left?!” She asked Pinkie enthusiastically.

“Sure do! Why?” Pinkie asked.

“Can I take a few home with me? Applejack and I had…a bit of a rough morning, and I’d like to patch things over.” Twilight answered.

“Oh no! What happened?” Fluttershy asked.

“Nothing much,” Twilight reassured them with a smile. “Just a little bit of a… spat, I guess. We’ve already made up, but there’s no such thing as being too nice in these situations.” Twilight smiled. “Happy wife, happy life, and all that.”

Pinkie laughed. “That’s a good one! Hahahahaha!” She giggled, falling off her chair. She sighed happily and pulled herself up, miming wiping a tear out of her eye as she did so. Twilight rolled her eyes good naturedly. Bit much, if you asked her.

“Do you mind me asking what it was about? I’d love to be able to help, you know, if you want.” Fluttershy said. Twilight smiled, finding it funny that Fluttershy felt the need to tack on the ‘help’ bit at the end. They all knew she was a hopelessly nosy pony sometimes, especially when it came to situations like these. It was why she and Rarity got along so well; she knew when to ask the right questions to get the juiciest info.

Twilight sighed, coming back to the problem at hoof. “Well, it’s not surprising really. Applejack is getting the feel that she needs to have kids. I’m just not sure that’s really an option right now, and we had a little disagreement. Its fine, and she said she was okay, but I can’t help but feel she isn’t telling me everything she’s thinking. I know how important family is for her. I hate being the one stopping that from happening.” Twilight confessed.

Fluttershy nodded sympathetically. “I’m sorry, Twilight, that can’t be easy. I know the feeling myself actually.” Fluttershy said, putting a hoof around Twilight’s back.

“You do?”

“Of course! I have always wanted kids, but I knew I had to give that up when I decided that Rainbow was going to be my very special somepony. Even if she was around all the time, and we were, you know, actually married, it wouldn’t be an option, at least unless we decided to adopt or something. Makes you wish two mares could have a foal together, doesn’t it?” She said begrudgingly.

“Does Applejack want to adopt a foal?” Pinkie asked.

“No, I’m not sure she’s really thought about it, but either way, she’d want the foal to be at least half ours, so we’d probably have to find a sperm donor.” Twilight explained. “But, it’s less that she actually wants to just have a foal. It’s more that she wants to have one with me, which is, of course, impossible. I think she’s just having a bit of a motherly phase. So, I just have to make her feel better, I think. It’s not really a fix-able problem.” She continued.

Pinkie nodded. “Cupcakes!” She squealed, getting up and rushing behind the counter.

“What?!” Twilight asked, not following.

“You wanted cupcakes for Applejack!” Pinkie explained, pulling out a box. “I am so glad my cupcake sense was working this morning!”

“Isn’t it called your Pinkie Sense?” Twilight asked, laughing.

“Well, duh! Cupcake Sense is a sub-sense of the Pinkie Sense whole! Silly! How else would I know what kind of cupcakes to make?! Du~uh!!” She finished, putting the last few cupcakes in. “Though, I’ve never had to make ‘Sorry your wife is a mare and you can’t have a foal’ cupcakes before!”

“Pinkie! That’s insensitive!” Fluttershy gasped.

Twilight laughed, used to Pinkie’s comments by now. “It’s fine.”

Pinkie laughed again. “Well, let me know if I need to throw a party or something! I’m always looking for a reason!” Pinkie sighed happily, pulling out hay and daffodil sandwiches from under the counter. “You girls good with sandwiches?” She asked. Both
Twilight and Fluttershy nodded enthusiastically.

---

Twilight let out another burp as she poured over the book she was reading. Lunch with the girls had gone wonderfully, even if she had eaten way too much. It was no wonder, since after their sandwiches, Pinkie had pulled out a platter of assorted desserts, which they had all munched on as they talked. Twilight had let her appetite very much get the better of her, and she was feeling the consequences now.

“’Scuse me.” She said, mostly to herself, though Owlowscious II was roosting somewhere in the study with her. She looked down at the book in front of her, another text on the science behind artificial insemination. She sighed, pushing it out of the way.

She still had no idea why she was suddenly so obsessed with this problem. She had thought talking her problems out with her friends would have given her some perspective on the matter, reminding her why she didn’t really want a foal in the first place, and giving her some ideas on how to help Applejack through the process of letting go.

However, her talk with Fluttershy had very much the opposite effect. With Fluttershy expressing the same problems as Applejack and she were going through, albeit on a lesser scale since she and Rainbow Dash weren’t actually married, Twilight now felt the need more than ever to find out as much information on the subject as she could. On top of all that, she now felt like there was an actual problem she should solve.

How could two mares, without the addition of a stallion sperm donor have a foal? It shouldn’t be possible, but the more research Twilight had done, the more she was starting to think, that maybe, just maybe, with a little bit of magic, it might be possible.