• Published 3rd Jul 2014
  • 3,299 Views, 88 Comments

Bearers of Harmony - PurpleFire135



When Applejack and Twilight decide to have a foal, Twilight works a little magic to get the job done, though there are unexpected consequences when all of the mane six wake up the next day, all expecting their own little bundle of joy.

  • ...
6
 88
 3,299

Chapter One

“Ah want a foal.” Applejack said, mostly to the ceiling, as the early dawn rays of sunlight washed in through the window. Lying next to her in bed was her wife, who rolled over towards her quickly.

“I thought we talked about this.” Twilight said softly. Her eyes widened and she leaned in closer. “With our lives, our jobs, our responsibilities! Do you really think it’s a good idea to add a baby to all that?” She began to ramble. Applejack rolled her eyes and silenced Twilight with a hoof.

“Beshides, we can’t really have a foal anyway.” She mumbled from behind Applejack’s hoof. Applejack put her hoof down and raised an eyebrow questioningly.

“Well, I don’t know if this fact has alluded you, and I hate to tell you this, but we’re both mares.” Twilight explained sarcastically.

Applejack snorted. “Really? Ah hadn’t noticed! ‘Course I know we’re mares, Twi! Jeez!” She huffed, rolled over, and heaved herself out of the bed. “Ah need to go get ready.” She said stiffly.

Twilight sighed. “Applejack,”

“Yeah? Whatcha need?” Applejack said, as if the previous conversation hadn’t even happened.

“I’m sorry.” Twilight apologized. Applejack turned around. “I know that family is important to you, and that this is something you want, but I just don’t know if it’s the right thing for us.” She said.
Applejack sighed again and went to sit on the edge of the bed. Twilight reached a hoof out and began rubbing her back.

“Ah know all that. I just always thought I’d have kids, ya know? Carry on the Apple family name and all that. I mean, it’s not like it isn’t gonna go to the next generation, with Big Mac and Cheerliee and their herd of litt’uns…I don’t know. I just didn’t see me going my whole life without havin’ babies, it’s always been somethin’ I dreamed of…guess I should have seen this coming when I married a mare.” Applejack laughed, but her heart wasn’t in it.

Twilight scooted over and leaned her head on her partner’s shoulder. “I’m sorry about what I said earlier. I didn’t realize this was weighing so heavily on you.” She sighed. “I just don’t know either. I never really saw myself having kids…not just because I’m gay, either, mind you. Just think about our options, we could either adopt, or one of us could have a sperm donor. Either way, at best that baby will only be half ours. I don’t really mind that, but I have a feeling you might.”

“Well, when you put it that way…” Applejack slumped. “You’re right. I’d want any foal we had to be both of ours…” She trailed off and then sat herself back up with renewed vigor. She huffed out a breath. “Well, that’s that. Ah’ll just have to get used to the idea.” She said, more to herself than to Twilight. “Besides, Ah’ll just work harder at being a real good aunt to Mac’s kids.”

Applejack turned back to Twilight, a mischevious “And Ah really don’t mind havin’ you all to myself.” She said seductively as she tackled Twilight back onto the bed and kissed her. Twilight laughed through the kisses. “Stop it! Stop it!” She giggled.

“Stop what?” Applejack responded. “This?” She asked playfully as she began tickling Twilight’s belly.

“AH! Yes! Yes, that! Stop it!” Twilight laughed, tears pricking at the corners of her eyes. Applejack smiled victoriously. Her wife really was adorably ticklish, wasn’t she? “Gah! Really, honey! Stop! I can’t breathe!” Twilight gasped.

“Aw! Ah never get to have any fun!” Applejack pouted. Twilight smiled. “Alright! Alright!” Applejack groaned and got out of bed once and for all. She looked at the clock on the night stand and swore. “Ah buck! Ah’m gonna be late!” She said and ran out of the room.

Sounds of drawers opening and closing and water running reached Twilight’s ears. She smiled and went down to the kitchen to make a quick breakfast.

Twilight jumped as the toast flew out of the toaster. She didn’t even look up as her magic wrapped around it and began buttering the toast in question. She was too busy reading a letter that had just arrived. It was from Spike, who was in Canterlot helping with delegations between the Equestrian government and that of the Griffon Kingdom. Ever since he had helped Celestia smooth over a border dispute between Appleloosa and some dragons who were living in the Badlands at the time, he had been Celestia’s go-to for sticky diplomatic situations.

Twilight laughed. He was far too old to continue being her assistant anyway, even without the fact that he was now almost too big to fit through the library’s front door. She was just glad he had found his own calling in life, though who would have guessed it would be politics, of all things?

“Thanks for the breakfast, Twi!” Applejack said as she raced down the stairs, grabbed the toast and the pear sitting next to it, and rushed toward the door. She took a bite on the way out and immediately gagged and spit the food out. “Eugh! What the?” She said, as if noticing the pear for the first time.

“Oops! Sorry hon! Got our fruits mixed up I think!” Twilight’s horn flared and the pear was replaced with an apple.
Applejack laughed. “Much better!” Twilight rolled her eyes. In her personal opinion, it would do Applejack good to try new things every once in a while, especially fruits, though the stubborn earth pony was particularly opposed to it. “Bye, Twi! See ya later!” Applejack said, going out the door.

“Forgetting something?” Twilight asked from her place at the table. Applejack looked around, confused. Twilight put a hoof up to her head.

“Ma hat!” Applejack gasped and raced back up the stairs. A few seconds later, she returned, her prized Stetson sitting proudly on her head. This time she stopped by the table and planted a kiss on Twilight before running to the door. “Bye, yeah, for real this time!” She yelled as the door closed. Twilight sighed happily and returned to her reading.

She did wish that Applejack didn’t have to commute to Sweet Apple Acres every morning though. She looked around her library home. She had of course offered, back when she and Applejack had first moved in together, to commute here to run the library each day, and have them live at the farm. Though, back then, the farm was already full with Big Mac, Cheerliee, their kids, Apple Bloom and Granny Smith. Since then, Apple Bloom had left with her friends to go on adventures and explore Equestria and the nations beyond. Goodness only knows what they were up to now, even with the letters the girls sent to their respective elder sisters on a fairly regular…ish basis.

Twilight finished her breakfast and with a flick of her horn, cleaned up the kitchen. She absolutely loved the reset spell she had found. With a little bit of configuring, it was now set to send everything in the kitchen to its proper place and teleport any foreign objects, namely food scraps, into the trash bin. Twilight was careful to cast it when she was alone though… ever since Spike had ended up head-down in the trash during one of his visits home. Apparently, the spell had deemed him ‘foreign material’.

With another burst of magic, a calendar floated into view in front of Twilight. She poked a hoof to the date and it expanded to show an hour-by-hour daily schedule. She smiled as she looked over her day plans. Obviously, most of it was just keeping the library open, in addition to working on her magical research projects, which were stored down in the basement laboratory.

She was currently working on the finer aspects of time travel spells, more specifically traveling into the future. She had done it a few times, but only succeeded in going a few seconds into the future…. Which of course begged the question of whether she had really time traveled or if she had just blacked out due to magic recoil; which had been all the more prevalent and powerful as her alicorn magic pool had only grown in the past few years. She wished there was a way to be more sure, but without direct observation, she had no way to be certain.

She turned to Owlowscious the second and gave him a long look.

“Want to come down to the lab with me and provide a means of observation on my experiments?”

“Hoo?” He asked.

“Me silly!” Twilight responded, as she opened the door to the basement, Owlowscious II in her wake.

---

Three and a half hours later, Twilight was surrounded by papers, notebooks, and sticky notes, not a single one of them on the topic of time travel. She had tried to continue her daily experiments, according to her schedule, but she quickly found she couldn’t focus. She had learned a long time ago, that if something was on her mind, it was best to focus on it for a while and then go back to whatever she actually needed to get done. She sighed.

Rolling her eyes, she lit up her magic and pulled out several more books, their titles drifting past her, “Genetics 101”, “The Miracle of Childbirth”, and “The Science behind Conception”, to name a select few. Ever since that morning, she just couldn’t keep what Applejack had said out of her mind. She had been reading every book and scroll text she had on the subject, as well as a few theoretical magic texts having to do with it and the probability of immaculate conception, which in truth, she wasn’t really concerned with, but to figure out what she wanted, she needed to start with what was already being done.

She flopped her head down onto her desk. What was it she wanted? A foal? Really? She knew that wouldn’t work. Why was she wasting her time? Questions floated around her head, swirling like a vortex. She hoped this was just a phase where she found out more information to address a problem that was troubling her, like the time she had learned quantum mechanics in the hopes of learning to be two places at once; despite the fact that she really just needed to decide which of her two prior commitments she needed to go to. Twilight was funny like that, and it was something she, her wife, and all her friends had learned to deal with a long time ago.

She didn’t really want a foal, she wanted a way to make Applejack feel better. That was the crux of the problem and she knew that, but this was her way of dealing with that stress; by finding out absolutely all the knowledge even partially pertaining to the subject at hand. Owlowscious II landed on top of her head, breaking her out of her swirling vortex of frustrated thoughts.

“HOO!” He declared.

“What?”

“HOO!” He repeated, flapping up to the clock. “HOO! HOO!” He called again, this time sounding almost like an alarm clock, you know if alarm clocks sounded like irritated owls.

“OH! I almost forgot! I have a lunch with Fluttershy and Pinkie!” Twilight gasped, pulling up her schedule again. “Thanks!” She called back to Owlowscious as she ran out the door of the library.

“HOO!” He responded, sounding rather pleased with himself.