• Published 2nd Jul 2014
  • 3,497 Views, 41 Comments

Journal of a War Pony - CrackedInkWell



A British soilder from WWI wakes up in Equestria, turns into a pony and trys to find a way back home. Within his journal entries, he finds out how Equestria really came to be.

  • ...
5
 41
 3,497

July 21, ?

July 21,? – Since yesterday, my thoughts had been going around in circles. About the tombstone discovery and all the realizations that surround it. Yet there are still two things that haven't been answered: how did I get here, to begin with, and why in all that is holy am I a pony?

That is, until today. After today's session, Twilight told me that the tombstone discovery was incredibly fascinating, especially when the name of the stone is the same name as that bloke who died on Christmas.

What was even more interesting to her, is that until I showed up, in that all she had ever read, the only mentioning of humans was only found in the oldest myths ever written. “Even with most of the myths," she tells me, "they never really gone into detail as to what they are nor what they look like.”

I mentioned to her about my take on the tombstone. I told her that because of the stone and how deep it was in the ground, I wondered if I somehow ended up in the future. Then her eyes widen and she asked when exactly did I arrive in Equestria. A quick look at the pages of this journal later, I told her, “Last day of June, why?”

“Oh stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!” She said as she hit her head with her front hooves scolding herself. I asked what the matter was. “The reverse time traveling spell! It's all my fault!”

“What are you talking about?”

“The spell, this explains everything!”

“One at a time please Ms. Sparkle. What are you even saying?”

“Okay. Let me explain. A long time ago, there was a unicorn named Star Swirled the Bearded. Who helped both the princesses come up with spells that are still essential to unicorns to this day. During his lifetime, Star Swirled came up with two different kinds of time travel spells. One was to transport the caster anywhere in time, the other was to transport an object or a pony from the past into the present and vice versa.”

“But I don't understand what any of this has got anything to do with me,” I interrupted.

“Let me get to that. You see, casting the spell for the caster anywhere in time was easy. That, and you would know immediately if it worked or not. But the other spell is much more difficult since it's rarely been done. Also, once the spell was cast, there's no telling if the pony they expected to appear will do so right up front or miles away. Both of these spells require to know exactly how far in time to do it. You see, what happened nearly a month ago was that I got distracted. I think somepony asked me a math question while I was getting ready to cast the spell. All I can remember is that it turned out to be a very big number, then just like that, the spell was finished.”

“Well, I guess that explains how I ended up here. But still, why am I a pony?”

“I don't even know myself. I wanted to meet somepony from the past, but as to why you're a pony, I honestly have no idea. But I think you could turn back into a human once you go back. Perhaps it might be because I tinkered with the spell so it could last longer.”

“Alright then, so after you cure me of my shell shock, you can just send me back right?”

“It's not as simple as that. As I said, the only way for either for those spells to work is to know exactly how far back I needed to send you.”

“But can't you used that memory spell on yourself to find out?”

“That's the same as trying to kiss yourself. You just can't do it by yourself. So you need somepony else to help pull it off.”

“You speak as if your the only one who can do this.”

“That's because that is the case. Most unicorns use their magic that matches their talent. I'm the only one who can do this since my talent is magic.”

“Oh joy, so I'm stuck here?”

“Don't worry, as soon as I can cure you, I promise that I will do everything that I can to send you back home. Oh, I just remembered, Pinkie is throwing a party for you.”

I asked what is she talking about. She told me that she heard from her friends that I was crying my eyes out the other day so her friend is throwing a cheering up party.

The party was at the gingerbread shop again at the same time as before, the difference was, there was no cannon involved. I often times wonder how does Pinkie manages to throw these parties almost daily. I mean with all the time, work, and money that is involved. Then again, everything about this hopping, fast-talking pink mare is much a mystery as this world. Such as where did she get that pet alligator from?

Pinkie sends me some sweets, games, music, pranks and even jokes that came like rain at that party. I must say that there was never a dull moment at that party.

There was one very odd yet very interesting moment when Pinkie was talking to me. Her tail suddenly stood straight up and it began spinning. It spans so fast that she lifted off the ground for a moment, then her tail stopped and she came down. She stared at me for a moment and then out of nowhere, she gave me something that she called a “fortune cookie.”

I cracked it open to find a piece of paper in it. It said: “You will be soon be called by royalty.”

“Ah no fair,” said Pinkie. “I would like to be called by the princesses. Come to think of it, when was the last time that I threw a party for them anyway?” And then she went back babbling on and on and on.

I still don't know what that was about nor even know why she did that. As far as I could gather from her friends, what I witnessed was something called a Pinkie Sense. What that is I'm not so sure. Predicting the future, inner knowledge, or was it something out of the blue?