• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 2,678 Views, 209 Comments

Doing His Duty - Dick McKickEm



Flash Sentry is sent to Canterlot to be Blueblood's personal guard. It's no surprise to find that a sizeable mass of ponies want the prince dead.

  • ...
8
 209
 2,678

Chapter the Sixth: Stop Dragon my Heart Around

Doing His Duty

A My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Fan fiction

by Wolfram and Hart

CHAPTER SIX: Stop Dragon my Heart Around

Panic.

Panic everywhere.

The sky roared with cracks of thunder and growled with heavy rainfall as the sailors aboard The Intimidator scrambled back and forth over the ship’s main deck. They smacked into each other like bugs in a jar and tripped over their own hooves as the twin ponies in matching tricorn hats barked out a flurry of commands.

From behind the caravan came the muffled bellows of a dragon, steadily growing louder.

The prince and his guard corps found themselves in the middle of it all, watching the chaos unfold, standing out from the crowd like cats at a dogshow.

Xander and Cotton Swab were giving Blueblood an awkward look. He pretended not to notice for a little while, but he couldn’t maintain the charade.

The two glanced at him, but looked away a millisecond before Blueblood’s gaze met theirs.

"What?!" he finally blurted out.

Xan and Cotton gave each other a knowing side glance.The flurry of commotion on deck held Flash’s attention.

"Um, Blueblood-" Cotton began, but her words trailed off.

The prince rolled his eyes. He knew what was coming. "What is it? Go on, say what you need to say. Celestia knows you've never resisted the urge before."

Cotton looked at the ever-growing shadowy blob on the horizon. She bit her lip. "You know we've been up to our eyeballs in your dirty laundry plenty of times.


"Yeeees?"

"Did you, umm, you know...?"

Blueblood scoffed, the expression his face not unlike that of a foal eating brussel sprouts. "I can't believe you would insinuate such a thing!"

Flash Sentry blinked, finally tuning in to the conversation. "What thing?"

Xander rolled his eyes. He tapped Flash on the shoulder and pointed to the dragon in the distance, then to Blueblood.

Flash shook his head. He wished Xander had his pen and paper. "What does a dragon have to do with the prince?"

Xander facehoofed.

Flash shrugged. "I don't get it."

Cotton couldn't possibly fathom how one pony could be so clueless. "You do know what Blueblood tends to attract, right?"

"Many murderous mares" he answered instantly.

"Exactly."

"Okay, so you think this dragon has something to do with the prince's old flames?"

Cotton stared at Flash.

"Why would a dragon have a problem with-?" Then it hit him like a sack of potatoes. Flash's face flushed a few shades redder than he intended it to. "O-oh. Oh my. Um, wow, I didn't even know that was possible."

"Theoretically, yes it is." Cotton said. “The anatomy is, uh, let’s just say ”compatible,” but there are no medically recorded cases of any male pony having interc-”

Blueblood gritted his teeth. "I didn't sleep with a dragon!"

Several sailors stopped dead in their tracks to give the prince an odd look, then tentatively went on their way.

“And we believe you.” Flash said with as much honesty as he could fake. He leaned over to whisper in Xander’s ear. “We do believe him, right?

Xander solemnly shook his head.

“Everypony is innocent until proven guilty.” Blueblood reminded them, barely restraining his irritation. “And why would the random appearance of a dragon-”

The next round of bellows could be heard over the thunder.

“-be connected to my past relationships?!”

“Well what else could it be?!” Cotton Swab had to yell to be heard over the noise. “It’s not like there’s some other assassin magnet hanging around here!”

“We’re on a ship guarding the entirety of Equestria’s royalty and the majority of its nobility!” The prince’s face was like a cherry. “Do you even know how much the contents of these three ships are worth in ransom?! Last time I checked, dragons! Covet! Wealth!”

Woosh. The three were suddenly aware of a powerful gale that swept over the deck of The Intimidator. Mane styles were ruined, balance was lost, and several small items not tied down flew overboard. A few crew members had to hold on to the rigging to keep from taking a long dive into a raging sea.

Flash. A bolt of lightning that struck dangerously close to the airboat illuminated a snarling reptilian visage for the briefest of milliseconds. Anypony who saw it would have sworn that it was just their imagination playing tricks on them if not for the inequine cry that pierced through the roar of the storm.

It was here. A dragon. Not fifty feet away from the port side of the boat, the great black silhouette of a flying beast hovered in the air like a phantom, staying aloft with the rhythmic beating of its leathery wings. Even in darkness like the dead of night, one could still see its golden snake eyes shining through.

Every weapons aboard the ship that could be aimed turned toward the dragon.

There was a brief silence, save for the song of the storm.

Flash. Boom. The thunder rolled.

GREETINGS, EQUESTRIAN PONIES.” The foul stench dragon breath like burnt fish washed over the ponies, curling nose hairs all around.

Its voice was as gruff as a tin can filled with gravel, but its pitch suggested neither masculinity or femininity. It was a dragon, after all. Most of them sounded like that, be they dragon or dragoness. This did not help Blueblood’s case at all.

The small sea of sailors parted as the twin captains marched to the edge of their ship’s railing. Each step that they took was in perfect synchronisation, each minute movement the same. It was as if each of their limbs were bound together with invisible strings. One of them had a megaphone in their hoof, he leveled it in front of his mouth and the other leaned in to speaking range as well.

Unidentified dragon!” Even though the first brother’s voice was amplified by the machine, everypony had to focus on hearing the mechanically muffled words over the cacophony.

“You are interfering with an official Equestrian diplomatic mission!” the second said.

Reverse your course one hundred and eighty degrees-

-or we will take your presence as a threat.

The dragon needed no amplifier. “MY COMPANION AND I DO NOT INTEND TO THREATEN YOU PONIES OR THE PRINCESSES YOU SO FAITHFULLY GUARD, WE MERELY SEEK AN AUDIENCE WITH ONE OF YOUR OWN.

The twins shared a look.

With whom-

-do you wish to speak?

THE ONE WHOSE BLOOD IS BLUE.

Then at once all sets of eyes turned toward Flash, Cotton, Xander, and Blueblood. They shrank under the gaze of over two dozen sailors and a dragon.

Despite all that was going on at the moment, Cotton couldn’t help but smirk. “Didn’t sleep with a dragon, huh?”

Blueblood used one of his hind legs to kick Cotton Swab in the knee. Of course, it merely rebounded off of the heavy armor. “I will have you flogged.”

IT IS GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN, YOUR GRACE.” It sounded like the dragon was trying to use a respectful tone of voice.

“I don’t know you!” Blueblood snarled in such a way that was the polar opposite of the dragon’s tone. “I don’t know you, I’ve never slept with you, and I’m not even sure if you're a male or female!”

Nopony saw the dragon raise its brows in surprise. “My my, North Star was wrong about you.” Its voice had lowered down to a dull roar. “You have changed from the pony she once knew. Be you better or worse, I cannot tell.”

The prince’s jaw dropped. “N-North Star? By the sun and stars, is that you… Crowe?”

Everypony blinked.

“Who’s North Star?” Flash asked.

Xander shrugged.

“I’ve got a pretty good guess.” Cotton answered.

The dragon, tiring of beating its wings, swooped in closer to the ship and grabbed the guard railing with its knifelike claws, splintering the wood like twigs under a hoof. At once the entire boat lurched a few degrees to the side, nearly causing an avalanche of surprised sailors. Everypony stumbled around clumsily, struggling to keep their weapons pointed at the dragon.

“Yeeeeesssssss!” the dragon supposedly named Crowe crooned, stretching its S’s. The beast’s neck was nearly half the length of its body, it slithered its head closer to the prince like a snake across the ground, forcing every one of the sailors in its path to step aside, some of them dropping their armaments and squealing like a filly.

Before it could come muzzle to muzzle with the prince, the guard trio formed an impromptu defensive line and brought their weapon of choice to bear. Three mostly average equines stood against roughly one third of a fully grown dragon.

The dragon gave them a half-smile, revealing a brief glimpse of white fangs starkly contrasting with black scales. “Be calm, little ponies. I intend no harm to your the one you guard.”

The corps held their ground, horn, hoof and sword still ready for action.

Its smile vanished and quickly turned to a frustrated grimace. The dragon allowed a deep growl to resonate from within its throat, a brief flash of orange flame escaping from its nostrils.

They didn't budge an inch.

“Do you always have to be this standoff-ey, Crowe?” a new voice cut through the intensely tense tension like a knife cuts a string pulled taught.

Farther down the body of the impossibly long creature, a young mare poked her head out from behind the shark-like fins running along the dragon’s spine. One would hardly be able to see the pony with her deep blue coat and chocolate hair with the storm going on around. She casually vaulted over its spines and used the beast’s neck like a slide to reach the deck of The Intimidator, her pegasus wings unfurled.

“Yo.” she said to the guards.

“Who the hell are you?!” Cotton growled, eliciting a louder and meaner growl from the dragon.

“Shhhh, it’s okay boy.” the mare crooned, pressing her hoof lightly to the side of Crowe’s neck. He simmered down almost immediately. “She’s just cranky ‘cus she’s not used to seeing a dragon like I am. Why don’t you go fly a few laps around the ship and I’ll take care of things here, eh?”

“As you wish.” the dragon said in an almost foalish manner. He detached from the side of the ship and went plummeting down into the ocean an instant later. One moment he was there, the next he was gone. Silent as a pin hitting a pillow, quick as a hiccup. The ship lurched back to it’s more-or-less correct position without a dragon to weigh it down, throwing around the crew once more.

* * *

Out of earshot from the exchange going on several feet away, two identical radios owned by two identical captains crackled to life with with hissing static and muffled voices.

“...ecktmare...in...repeat...ple-...knowledge…over.

The two pegasi shared a look and answered in their usual synchronisation.

“You’re breaking up.”

“The storm’s interfering with the signal.”

“Please repeat, over.”

I said,… lock on yo-... ermission to fire?

They looked off of the port side of the shyship. Through the heavy curtain of the storm the twins saw a dark silhouette shaped like the Rocketmare not a quarter klick away, her stern side exposed and no doubt readying weapons.

“If you’re asking permission to fire on the dragon-”

“-we do not recommend it.”

“It is a friendly-”

“-as far as we can tell.”

“Over.”

There was a long silence at the other end of the radio.

“Ackn...lged.”

* * *

“So how have you been?” the mare asked, standing on the tips of her hooves to see Blueblood past the wall of guards.

The prince motioned for the three to stand aside, which they did despite the three nearly identical “Are you crazy?” looks. They kept their weapons at the ready and their eyes trained on her.

“North Star.” Blueblood regarded her with a neutral tone of voice. “Quite an entrance you’ve made. For what purpose have you come to see me?”

North Star flashed a hurt expression for the briefest of moments.“So straight to the point, Bloody. Can’t an old flame stop by to chat for a minute or two?”

Xander lightly elbowed the prince in his ribs at the words “old flame”.

I know, I know!” he muttered sharply to the zony.

Blueblood awkwardly cleared his throat. “Well, ah, you landed on a heavily armed ship during a raging storm on one of the most menacing and historically grumpy beasts in Equestria.”

Thunder rolled.

“You can’t just be looking for some idle conversation.”

“No but I am!” she declared with a toothy grin. Blueblood took a step back. “I haven’t seen you in, oh, how long has it been now? Five years? I’m just ah, dying to catch up.”

A dark chuckle escaped from North Star’s lips.

“I mean, would it kill you to write a mare a letter every now and again?” She tittered like a schoolfilly.

Blueblood.” Cotton Swab put an armor-clad hoof on her prince’s shoulder. “She’s using double entendres.”

“No I’m not!” North denied instantly. “That was just a slip of the knife- TONGUE! Slip of the tongue. Heh heh…”

North Star sighed.

“Ah, to Tartarus with it. I never was good with other ponies.”

And then she stabbed at Blueblood.

Surprising, right? She went right for the heart, but fortunately, Flash Sentry deflected the blade in a flash with his own. Unluckily, its path was diverted from his ticker to his foreleg. It dug into him like a diamond dog digs into the earth.

AAAAAGH!

His screams were still more stallionlike than Flash’s.

Then the next thing that the ponies saw was the mare’s hindquarters as she bolted for the side of the ship.

“Disregard our last!” one of the captains shouted over the radio.

“Repeat: Disregard our last!”

“Dragon is hostile!”

“You have permission to fire!”

With a great leap over the guardrail, the mare disappeared over the side of the ship.

There was a brief moment of silence. Not even the storm could be heard.

Woosh. The behemoth form of the dragon named Crowe, using its full wingspan, ascended from below like a bat out of hell, a piercing cry of victory splitting the day. One could have seen a slightly less darkly-colored pony strapped into some kind of leather saddle in the center of the dragon’s back.

“We’ll catch up later, okay?!” North Star screamed at the top of her lungs.

Cotton and Xander were already supporting a crippled Blueblood before he hit the ground. “EAT MANURE AND DIE!” he wailed back, hurting the ears of everypony within a ten foot radius.

“Never a dull moment!” Cotton Swab said, but without her usual tone of bored sarcasm. It was… softer, somehow. Almost tired. “We really need to start frisking everpony that comes into contact with the prince.”

* * *

The two pegasi, having stood by and watched the entire exchange with a dumb look on their faces, promptly closed their mouths and gave each other yet another nigh-telepathic side glance.

“Open fire?” one asked

“Open fire.” the other confirmed.

Canons! Open fire!” they barked out their order in unison.

At first there was nothing…

...but then there were cannons.

A chorus of bone-rattling explosions sent wave after wave of intense vibrations throughout the ship as the first volley of shots were loosed from their chambers of steel. At once the acrid scent of burnt gunpowder was mixed with the fresh scent of rainfall.

The swarm of cannonballs found a clear path through the space between The Intimidator and the prince’s assailant.

* * *

North Star’s eyes were welling up with tears of laughter, threatening to completely fill her wind-goggle.

“You didn’t even see the look on his face? Ho-boy, you missed out big time! He was all “Uuuuhn eat manoor and die!” and stuff. We really cheesed him off. I didn’t even know he could get that mad. High-larious.”

“Most fortuitous indeed.” Crowe agreed. “But, Star, I, uh, I am having some trouble comprehending our motives. Please explain again why we’re attacking the nephew of one of the most powerful political figures on the planet. One would deem that move to be...unwise.”

“To send a message, silly!” she answered as if stating the sky was dark and rainy. “Why do you think we-”

Boomboomboombomboom.

North Star wiped the rainwater from her goggles and squinted behind the both of them.

Two ships worth of hot lead were barreling through the air, headed straight for them.

“Uh-oh.”

“Wha-oh?” Crowe looked down under his belly to see just what Star was staring at.

“Huh. Intriguing.” he murmured.

* * *

“Look’it ‘em dance!” a sailor hollered, watching with fascination as the dragon and its rider ducked and weaved through the hail of cannonfire. None of them seemed to make contact, but that was only the first volley.

Ballistas at the ready!” the captains cooly spoke into the radio.

Underneath the deck of the skyship, several sets of oversized shutters three feet high and twelve feet wide burst open, revealing the innards of the boat. A unicorn pony poked his head out of one of the openings, a compass and sextant floating in front of his face.

“Adjust X-axis twelve degrees.” the unicorn relayed to his partner, who was a bulky earth pony at the trigger end of a very large crossbow. He swung the giant machine of wood and steel a few inches to the right, and flipped the safety switch into its “fire” position.

Volley!” a pair of voices crackled through the overhead spakers.

“Volley! Volley! Volley!” the unicorn echoed.

Klunk. Woosh. The giant bowstring that was pulled tight against the firing mechanism an instant ago rushed forward in the blink of an eye, taking a ballista bolt that was longer than the body of a pony from muzzle to tail with it. It silently sailed in a wide arc, cutting a precise path through the air like a bird of prey, on a perfect collision course with its intended target.

Crowe only grunted in moderate pain as the razor-sharp projectile bounced off of his black scales, its shaft splintering in two.

The unicorn pony, having watched the bolt’s five second journey through a telescope, whinnied several curses that only a sailor would know under his breath.

“Did we hit it?” the gunner asked.

“Aye, was a perfect shot.” He collapsed the telescope and gave his partner a grimace. “Damn thing split in half like a pencil!”

“You’ve got to be joking!”

The two spat out a series of choice words that would horrify any non-skyfaring pony.

* * *

The rider flattened her ears to her head as tightly as she could before Crowe gave off a rage-filled roar that may or may not have caused several ponies a half-klick away to temporarily lose bladder control.

“Owie owie owie!” the great beast whined. “Stars above, it stings so hard.”

“Remember that feel.” North Star patted the back of his neck lovingly. “That’s what getting punched in the gut feels like to a pony.”

The dragon grumbled. “Four hundred and twenty three years of life and I still cannot fathom how a race of unarmored creatures such as yourself have survived for so long.”

“We manage.” she chuckled. “Come on, we’ve put on enough of a show for today. Time to get the hell outta Dodge.”

“At last.”

* * *

“Captians! They’re headed for cloud cover!”

Half of the Intimidator’s crew watched the tail end of the dragon-silhouette get smaller as the beast beat its wings harder and harder, gaining altitude with each flap.

“It’s time! Radar...” captian number one said.

“...activate the prototype!” number two agreed.

“Aww shit!” a crewmember squeed. “Cap’ins bringin’ outda big guns!”

“Gogiddem, Radar!” another cherred.

A scrawny kaki-colored earth pony barely old enough to be a stallion scrambled to the hulking mass of wires and armor plating in the center of the deck. He was already flipping switches and turning dials before his rump hit the seat. An unnatural rumble erupted from beneath the deck as the machine came to life. A rapidly repeating sort of sputtering noise emanated from the ice laser, reminding most ponies of the sound a combustion engine makes when it gets fired it up.

“Charging twenty percent!” the earth pony called out, his voice cracking on the last syllable.

“It needs to charge?” Flash Sentry asked nopony in particular.

“Fourty five percent!” Radar bit down on a handle and swung the gun around with a mechanical whine, lining up the perfect shot.

“That’s no good,” he looked at the ever-shrinking dragon nearly two klicks away by then. “he’ll never make that shot!”

A sailor that Flash had never met before bumped him in the arm, saying “You ain’t nevah seen Radar shoot sumthin’, ‘ave ya?”

Flash shook his head.

“Eighty percent! Almost there…”

“Boy are you in for a treat.” The pony grinned wide.

Flash’s eyes went wide as the very end of the gun’s barrel produced a pulsating sphere of pure blue light, the rumbling from below intensifying the moment it appeared. It grew in size bit by bit, going from the size of a tennis ball to the size of a beach ball in a mere second.

“All systems green! Clear for fire!”

The earth pony flipped open a small glass case, revealing a big yellow-and-black striped button marked “FIAR”. Without a moment’s hesitation, Radar slammed his hoof down on the button and-

Thhhhhbbbt.

Radar blinked. The energy sphere at the end of the cannon dissipated back into the air. The rumbling ended. The cacophony of sailor’s cheers died down. The only thing that cut through the quiet was a constant electrical beeping originating from the machine.

A red bulb blinked on and off rapidly, and directly underneath it read the words “Insufficient Charge”.

Flash looked up. The dragon and his rider were gone like a fart in the wind. Nothing but the grey oblivion of the storm was left.

Thunder rolled.

* * *

Twilight.

A pair of soft magenta eyes slowly tracked the sun’s path across the sky, watching as the dim ball of fire was enveloped by the looming storm clouds that gathered on the horizon. A narrow patch of sea water glistened with an orange sheen as the day’s final light shone down upon it. Soon, she could see only a sliver of the faraway star left naked.

Princess Celestia’s horn lit up with a shining golden aura, giving the sun that final nudge needed to end the day, letting the sky become the black canvas on which her sister could paint the new night’s stars.

The solar princess sighed, releasing the tension that had gathered in her muscles for the past hour.

“Another day, another fiasco.” Celestia said with fake cheer.

She briefly tore her gaze away from the port window to glance over her shoulder at the young prince slumped over his quarter’s couch, quietly failing to hide the guilty look on his face.

The prince’s room was quite lavish for a military vessel, meaning that he had a little bit more than than a twin-sized bed and a hooflocker to call his own for the time being. Perhaps it may not have been fit for a king, but it was good enough for the prince.

Blueblood idly scratched the stitches on his left hoof, trying not to make eye contact with his aunt.

The princess furrowed her brow. “You’re going to have to talk sometime, you know.”

“It would be quite a redundant conversation.” He meekly offered her a half-hearted smile.

Despite the heavy mood that hung in the air, Celestia laughed. Her voice was like silver bells.

“Yes, we’ve been in this situation far too many times, my dear nephew. So now it’s a full-fledged dragon rider? Your old flames do seem to become more colorful as time passes. Perhaps you should have considered dating more boring mares.”

The prince cringed at the thought. “Then it would be boring mares trying to kill me.”

Blueblood hung his head like a child being scolded, only without any actual scolding going on.

“Everypony ends up hating me at some point.”

Oh boy, here we go. Blueblood was in one of those moods again. He was quite difficult to snap back to his normal sense when feelings like that took him.

“That’s not true!” Celestia replied instantly.

“Guard corps and family aside, name one pony.”

The princess bit her tongue. She moved in and took a seat close to him. Celestia wrapped a motherly wing around her nephew and pulled him into a warm hug. He muttered something about being too old for this in protest like a teenage colt, but did not resist. Celestia knew all too well that nopony was too old for a hug.

“I won’t say that you didn’t used to be a plotface.” she admitted. “You… well you were pretty bad. Maybe some of those ponies need a chance to meet the reformed Blueblood since the old one left quite a bad taste in their mouth.”

The prince finally managed to work up the nerve to look his aunt in the eye. “Reputations and first impressions do tend to stick to somepony like concrete, you know.”

“And it’s that kind of thinking that keeps the assassins coming.” she retorted, causing the prince to wince like he had been poked with a needle. “Perhaps if you weren’t so bitter, you’d see that.”

Blueblood wriggled free from his aunt’s wing and slipped off of the couch, opting to move to the other end of the room and stare out the window at the last trickle of light on the horizon.

“It’s just that…” he began, but his words trailed off.

“Yes?”

“Look at all of these mares that I’ve known. All of them I’ve lured into my bed with false promises of love, intimacy, and lasting relationships. I saw them only as tools to satisfy myself, not as living, breathing ponies with lives and passions. Like fish on a hook. I kept telling myself that it was their fault for falling for it, that they should have been smart enough to notice what a colossal scam it was. I assumed that when morning came, they would forget about me and I’d never have to see them again. Just poof, goodbye, hope you had fun, see you never. Ever since the Corps was formed, I’ve been reaping what I’ve sewn. Big time. Perhaps the, ah, “normal” reaction to my lies were a tad bit extreme, but can you blame them? I knew little about the impact a one night stand could have on a mare. Some of them- like that Katarina I told you about yesterday -have had their entire lives turned upside-down because of me. I didn’t think of the consequences of my actions until they were right on my doorstep. Let’s face it, I’ve deserved everything I that I-”

Blueblood was torn from this monologue by the subtle creaking of a door on its hinges. Flash Sentry poked his head in he room.

“I’m sorry to disturb you, Your Graces,” he said in that flat guard’s tone “but Princess Twilight Sparkle has boarded The Intimidator and requests an audience with the princess.”

“Requests an audience.” Celestia echoed. “Is this the newest member of the Corps that I’ve been hearing about?”

“I am, Your Grace.” Flash removed his helmet, placed it over his breastplate, and bowed his head as low as it could bow.

“And still so formal, too.” Celestia sounded impressed, making the guard swell with pride. “Tell me, Flash Sentry, do you hate my nephew?”

Blueblood shot an annoyed glare at the princess, who in turn stuck crinkled her nose and stuck a pink tongue out at him.

Flash withheld his curiosity at their little exchange, as was the place of a guard. “I do not, Your Grace.”

“And you have yet to know his old self.” Celestia said. “Tell me, is it because it is your duty to withhold any signs of dislike or because you genuinely like him as a pony, and not as your prince?”

Flash hesitated, unsure if that was a loaded question or not. “Both of them at once, I suppose.”

She flashed Flash a warm smile. “There is hope for you yet, Blueblood.”

The princess pulled herself from the comfort of the couch and put on her ruler face. “Well then, let’s not keep my former pupil waiting. Lead on, my little guard.”

Flash Sentry stepped aside and held the door open for the alicorn, gesturing for her to follow. Princess Celestia gave her nephew a nod as she left his quarters, the door shutting behind them.

Blueblood lingered on, slumping up against the window, staring at the spot that his aunt and his… friend stood moments ago. He chuckled to himself.

“Aunty, why are you always right?”

Author's Note: