• Published 2nd Jul 2014
  • 1,532 Views, 54 Comments

Letters to Luna - Minds Eye



Princess Luna collects letters detailing Equestrian lore.

  • ...
4
 54
 1,532

The Princess and the Pool

Dear Princess Luna,



I heard our camp counselor tell a scary story about the Mirror Pool... And I thought you might want to hear it. It's sort of about you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once upon a time, there lived a beautiful princess, who danced by the moonlight and showered her subjects with gifts on the night of the winter solstice. She would fly down from her castle to hand out these gifts personally, despite her sister's insistence that she let her guards do so.

One year, when she flew down, one particular filly caught her attention for the fact that this filly gave away her gift.

When asked why, the little filly responded: "Because the greatest gift I could receive is knowing you're there to protect us."

Touched by the youngster's response, the princess replied: "Where are your parents, little filly?"

"They left. In the war. They... never came back."

"Oh... my sweet child. Well, tonight, you will dine in the castle with me and my sister. Would you like that?"

The filly's smile lit up the night like the noonday sun, and they flew back to the castle. The little filly didn't have just one dinner there. She had dinner there every night, for the princess took pity on her and adopted her. She was a child of the night.

Year after year, decade after decade, the princess watched her new daughter age, and grow old. But this was her daughter, and she would not be parted if there was anything she could do. She was, after all, one of the most powerful magic users in all the land.

On the last night, the princess flew down to the village where the child had come from, with a royal entourage carrying the dying mare on a divan chair.

At the edge of a pool, in a cavern where the light of the moon rested during the night of the winter solstice, the princess cast a powerful spell on the pool. The waters stilled and became as a mirror.

"My daughter... I do not wish to be parted from you for all time. This pool will let you come to visit me, on the night of the full moon, when the winter solstice is nigh. I love you, my daughter."

"And I you, mother." She slipped away, her last breath finishing the spell.

The princess wept for her loss, and grieved for a time. But the lives of alicorns are long, and soon it was time for the moon to rise over the pool at the right time.

She waited. And waited. Her daughter did not come to the pool. Not even to peek. She could not go through the pool. On the other side was death's realm, and it would not take kindly to an alicorn.

Year after year, she came back. She waited. And no sign of her beloved daughter ever came back.

Life was not good for her and her sister, either. Her sister reminded her of the dire warning given, and ignored. Of love between a mortal and an immortal.

Finally, she could take no more, and returned to the pool at the right time, but while the moon was dark. Distraught, she dove into the pool to search for her long lost child.

Her sister, worried, came looking for her.

What came out of the pool was not the princess.

It was a nightmare.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that's not true... But I thought you might like to hear it anyway.

Your loyal subject,

Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

Credit for this chapter goes to our founder Noble Thought.