• Published 1st Jul 2014
  • 11,626 Views, 435 Comments

Friday Night Twilight II - BlazzingInferno



Twilight still visits me twice a month. It’s okay, I guess.

  • ...
91
 435
 11,626

Maud Pie, For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils, and New Foods

I’ve been coughing lately. It’s probably nothing, but it still made for an annoying week. That’s nothing that a little junk food can’t help, of course. I lean back on the couch and wait for the bang. Twilight’s never tardy.

“Jake? I have good news, I… what’s that smell?”

I hear her slowly pace down the hallway, sniffing furiously. Finally she pokes her head into the room and stares at me. “What’s going on?”

“Just a little surprise.”

“It’s smells like… fish?”

I point at the coffee table. In place of the normal fare, I’ve set out a two paper plates. “It’s called sushi.”

“I’m not eating meat. We’ve been over this.”

“It’s all vegetarian. I thought it might be a nice change.”

She smiles. “Getting tired of apples and soda?”

“After all these years? Never.”

We sit on the couch and I hand her a plate. She sniffs the little rolls, touches one with a hoof, and pops it in her mouth.

“Hmm. This is actually pretty good. It’s really just vegetables?”

“Completely meat free.”

“Nice to know your world isn’t totally dependent on blood. I’ve got some good news.”

“Oh yeah?”

“Remember that thing with Cadence a couple weeks ago?”

“The thing you can’t stop talking about?”

“Well I finally did what you said. All my other friends had me convinced to just give her some time, then I finally broke down and wrote her a letter apologizing for being so nosy and wishing her the best.”

“Did she write back?”

She eats another sushi roll and nods vigorously. “We’ve been writing each other every day since then. I think things are actually better than they were before, both with us and between her and Shining Armor.”

“Are they still…”

“They’re just going to let nature take its course. It’ll happen when it happens.”

I grab my plate and dig in. Veggie sushi isn’t quite as good as the regular kind, but it’ll do in a pinch, especially when your dinner guest can’t stand the smell of any meat product.

“So, what’re we watching tonight?”

“We meet Pinkie’s sister.”

“Pinkie has a sister?”

“Three of them.”

“I pity their parents.”

“Just watch. You’ll see.”

That’s just what we do. Maud Pie, to put it mildly, isn’t what I expected. By the end, all my questions have coalesced into one: “What’s the deal with her?”

“She’s different, all right.”

“That’s way more than different. Is she part rock?”

“She lives on a rock farm; that explains her strength and affinity for geology… well maybe the second one anyway.”

“Was Pinkie adopted?”

“If anything, Maud might’ve been.”

“You’re saying Maud’s the family oddball?”

She finishes off the last of her sushi before answering. The way she savors the stuff makes me wish I’d thought of this sooner.

“It’s weird. When I first met Pinkie I thought she had some kind of personality disorder. You can’t really tell from the show, but she can go from ecstatic to depressed in seconds, and the reverse is also true. Then when we followed Maud back home… Did I mention how much I love sushi?”

“About twenty times, yes.”

“Anyway, when we made it to the Pie farm we didn’t just meet Maud; her parents and her other sisters were there, too. Turns out the whole one-extreme-to-another thing is a family trait. Maud’s the oddball because she can actually control it, she’s levelheaded all the time.”

“Weird.”

“They all look alike too, so I don’t think anypony’s adopted.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Say what?”

I cough a few times. I should get some cough syrup from the store tomorrow. She pauses her chewing to stare at me. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. You stick ‘pony’ on the end of words. Anypony this, everypony that.”

“Who said I got to pick my world’s cultural norms? That’s just how it is.”

“Seems kind of unfair to all the other sentient species.”

“They’ve got their own quirks and words. You didn’t think all the griffons in my world walk around saying ‘everypony’ did you?”

“How would I know?”

“Eh, fair enough. Your three favorite fillies are in the next episode.”

“Don’t say it like that. Just because they’re my ‘favorites’ doesn’t mean I’m falling in love with this show.”

Her horn begins the glow and the TV switches episodes. “Good. If you suddenly started doing that, I’d say you need to get your head examined.”

Another twenty minutes pass in relative quiet. When Twilight doesn’t actually play a part in the episode, her comments are usually minor. Instead of Twilight, this episode features Princess Luna invading Sweetie Belle’s dreams.

“Has Luna ever visited your dreams?”

“Mine? No.”

“How about your friends?”

“I doubt it. I’ve spoken to her about her duties; she tends to stick to the young ponies. Adult pony dreams tend to be… well… more adult.”

“Why are you so uptight about that?”

“Uptight?”

“The closest you’ve ever come to talking about it is saying ‘where foals come from.’ ”

She blushes a little. “Didn’t we just talk about cultural norms? Talking about that is considered crude. I was brought up to be higher class pony than that.”

“Then how do you even stand this place? That’s half the internet right there.”

“I just have to be careful with what I watch or read. If something starts looking questionable I can always…”

This time she isn’t blushing. She’s turning green.

“Are you okay?”

She shakes her head rapidly and disappears with a bang. My eardrums ring and the paper plates go flying. What just happened?

The sound of her heaving answers my question. At least she made it to the bathroom in time.

I run to the kitchen and pour a glass of water. This was my fault for introducing her to sushi. If I find out that it wasn’t really vegetarian, I’m never ordering from that place again.

My next stop is the bathroom door. I’d knock if she’d bothered to close it. Instead I find her hunched over the toilet, trying to catch her breath. The whole room smells like vegetables and grass clippings. I guess I can rule out the fish theory.

“I brought you some water.”

She nods and takes the glass from me with her magic. A few gulps of water and many minutes of silent dread later, she finally says something. “I think it’s going away. Sorry.”

“Sorry? It’s my fault.”

“No, I should’ve held back with a new food. At least I didn’t throw up on your floor like last time.”

“You didn’t help clean that up, you didn’t even apologize.”

For a moment she looks like she’s going to vomit again. “It was bacon, I told you I don’t eat meat. You kept telling me it was just candy…”

“Of meats. I called it the candy of meats.”

“Your society’s so barbaric.”

“Cultural norms, Twilight. I didn’t pick them.”

She rests her chin on the seat. “New subject, please.”

I’m all out of ideas. Typically she’d be home by now and I’d be catching up on some real TV. “Why do you visit me, specifically?”

She tilts her head slightly so she can look at me. “My initial spell to open a portal was completely random. I have a couple more portals to your world that I’ve kept, both to places where I can browse the internet inconspicuously.”

“You don’t talk to any other humans?”

“No.”

“Why not? Aren’t you curious? Maybe I’m a completely irregular example of my kind that’s giving you the wrong idea about us.”

“You’re close enough. Besides, you could use a friend.”

“That’s such a cheesy line, even for you.”

In response she throws up again.

I’d better get her some more water.