• Published 12th Sep 2014
  • 8,227 Views, 491 Comments

One Last Trick - Cloud Hop



I'm in a hospital bed with tubes coming out of orifices I didn't know I had. Why am I there? Why is Rainbow Dash sitting in the corner? Why is she crying?

  • ...
30
 491
 8,227

Regret

“Are we almost ready?” The earth pony’s voice washes over me, the words blurring together. I watch Prism Glider in stony silence, tears still dripping from my cheeks.

“Fully charged,” replies Jade, “next jolt in twenty seconds… fifteen seconds…”

“Alright, let’s give it another go.” The earth pony finishes a few more compressions before quickly dismounting Prism Glider. Time slows to a crawl as I stare at the closed eyelids of my coltfriend, wishing for it all to end. Hoping against hope that the ragged, burning hole in my chest could be soothed.

Just give him back to me, Celestia, I pray, take away his wings, take away my dreams, just give the stallion I love back to me for one more day.

“Clear!”

Jade’s voice echoes in my head, bouncing around my consciousness as her horn slowly begins to glow. I never noticed the intricacies of unicorn magic as it begins flowing through their horn. Slowly, a light curls around the spiral until it reaches the tip, where a flash of light sends a ripple of magical energy flowing back down, and then another flash completes the familiar ethereal glow of an active spell.

Slowly, Prism Glider rises from his bed. My lungs begin to protest, and I become dimly aware of the fact that I’ve been holding my breath. His body spasms, briefly writhing in place as electricity courses through him. My eyes look up at the red hologram floating above his body. A second passes. Two seconds. Three. My lungs burn, but I am frozen in terror, unable to move as the earth pony reaches her hoof out. I close my eyes and turn my ears towards her, waiting for the verdict. Waiting for the words my heart aches for.

“Yes!”

My eyes snap open, and I see a beautiful blue hologram above me. I can scarcely believe my ears as the earth pony confirms what I had so desperately hoped.

“I got it! I got it I got it I got it! Current pulse is...” As the earth pony measures the newly restored heartrate, I fall backwards on to the floor, clutching my chest. I gasp, half from oxygen deprivation, half from an explosion of relief. He’s not dead, I think to myself. You still have a chance. He’s not dead. I think I’m crying again, but I don’t care anymore.

“How much farther to the hospital?” I ask, after I finally catch my breath.

Still bandaging Prism Glider, the earth pony replies without missing a beat. “Five minutes, tops. Jade, how’s our blood pressure stabilization going?”

I leave the medics to their work and drag myself up from the floor once more, sitting next to Prism Glider’s head. “Stay with me,” I whisper to him, delicately stroking his bloody mane, “Stay with me…”


I sit in quiet contemplation the rest of the way, staring up at the blue hologram, watching Prism Glider’s heartbeat and willing it to keep going. My silence is broken only by an occasional reassurance that I whisper in his ear.

Da-dub, da-dub, da-dub.

I’m not sure if I’m reassuring Prism Glider or myself. Either way, eventually the carriage lands on the ground with a thud, and I notice a very slight change in my sense of direction as the gravitic stabilization field is dispelled. I barely have time to register any of this before the doors are flung open and Prism Glider is levitated onto a stretcher. A small army of nurseponies and medics immediately begin rushing him up a ramp and through a set of sliding doors. Strange medical terms and frightening words are flung through the air, but one word in particular stands out to me.

“... for an amputation immediately! Coming in through loading dock C ...”

Amputation.

Amputation.

I walk out of the carriage in a daze. I really should’ve known it was coming, given that he was already missing a limb, but somehow, hearing those words in the hospital makes it real. They solidify my error, my mistake. They trap me in the binds of my worst nightmares. They make it impossible to escape with the foolish hope that Prism Glider would fly again.

I’ve ruined everything.

I spend a good two minutes wandering aimlessly around the loading dock before a nursepony leads me to the receptionist’s desk. She whispers a few short words to the mare behind it before trotting off. I am dimly aware of the receptionist asking me about something.

“I, uh… I don’t—” I sputter, not really knowing what’s going on anymore.

She smiles and gently taps my withers with a hoof. “Come along honey, let’s get you washed off.”


I am in a washroom.

I have told myself that I am in a washroom approximately eight times in the past two minutes, but it hasn’t really sunk in yet. Maybe I just need to say it again.

I am in a washroom.

Slowly, haltingly, I reach out and turn the faucet on. Cold water tumbles out of the nozzle, splashing and churning around the sink before swirling down the drain.

It was an apt description of how my stomach felt, at least. I sigh, and lift my hooves to the porcelain rim. I nearly let out a shriek when I see that they are dripping with bright red blood. Thick rivulets of angry crimson trickle down the edge of the sink from where I put my hooves.

It’s all my fault.

Trying desperately to suppress my sniffling with the shredded remains of my pride, I frantically start scrubbing my hooves off. The sink turns into a red sea, its frothing waves filled with my guilt. I scrub and scrub, but the angry red pool refuses to lighten.

“Why won’t it come off?!” I sob, “Why w-won’t it c-come off?!

I sat in front of the sink with tears streaming down my cheeks, washing my hooves for ages. Five minutes, ten minutes, I didn’t know anymore, but eventually I am granted a reprieve.

“Miss?” a voice calls through the door. “Miss, are you alright?”

I jump, having completely forgotten that the receptionist was still outside, my eyes darting towards the door. Thankfully it was still closed, but when my eyes return to the sink, it is clean. An innocent stream of clear water swirls into the drain, and my hooves have been washed clean, scrubbed as raw as my heart.

Shivering, I wonder how long they had been that way.


I walk out of the washroom and am greeted with a concerned look from the receptionist.

“Is there anything I can get you?” she asks, adjusting her glasses with a hoof.

“Do… do you know where Prism Glider is?” I croak, still staring at the floor.

Unfortunately, the receptionist shakes her head. “He’ll be in surgery all night, hun. I suggest you get comfortable.” She waves a hoof towards a sitting area just as a small bell echoes down the corridor. She gives me a curt nod before trotting off to deal with whatever catastrophe had shown up in front of the hospital.

I slowly make my way towards the couch, my whole body numb from shock. It’s late, and the setting sun paints the sky a deep purple. I stare through the glass ceiling of the lounge, wondering how everything could have gone so wrong so quickly. One moment, I was living the dream, and now I’m in a nightmare. With nothing else to distract me, my mind quickly spirals out of control, fretting about every dark and terrible thing imaginable. What if he never makes it out of surgery? What if he never wakes up? Would I have to tell them to pull the plug? Could I? Would I have to attend his funeral? What would I say? What would his family say? Would they blame it on me? Would I go to jail? Do I deserve to go to jail? Would they even let me into the funeral at all?

My thoughts turn to my grandmother’s funeral. It had happened a few years ago, but I never really felt… sad. I mostly just felt awkward. She had simply been there, a distant figure who occasionally came up in conversation. I only really ever saw her at Hearth’s Warming, and she simply dissolved into the mass of other distant relatives. My mom had been bawling at the funeral, and my grandfather struggled to get through his speech. At the time, I wondered if I should’ve felt more sad about the whole mess, but it all just seemed so surreal. Years later, I barely notice she’s gone.

Now I know what it must have felt like for my grandfather, to have the one you loved torn away from you. To have your emotional connection severed and lost forever.

Eventually, I can’t take it anymore. I get up and start trotting aimlessly around the hospital, desperate to keep my mind off Prism Glider. It’s late evening, and the whole place seems eerily quiet. The clip-clopping of my hooves echoes around the dark hallways and polished marble floors. I have no real idea where I’m going, but eventually I hear somepony playing piano. Following my ears, I stumble on a huge room with a glass ceiling that seems to stretch skywards forever. Perhaps it was intended for large meetings of some sort, but at the moment all it has is a solitary piano in its center, with somepony playing a particularly melancholy song.

I almost walk up to say hello, but I don’t want to disturb them and risk losing the soothing music they’re playing. Instead, I lie down on a nearby couch and stare up at the dark sky, until the echoing tones of the piano carry me off to sleep.


When I wake up, it takes me a few moments to remember where I am. Once I do, however, I’m instantly on my hooves. It’s early morning, but the hospital is already buzzing with activity. I start navigating my way through the crowd only to realize I have no idea where I am. I hadn’t exactly been paying attention to where I was going last night as I wandered around the hospital, and the throngs of ponies crowding the halls aren’t helping. Eventually, I manage to find the receptionist’s desk and ask where I can find Prism Glider.

“Hmmmm,” says the receptionist, “let me get a nurse down here.”

Terror creeps into my bones as I sit on the cold floor, trying not to tremble as I wait for the nurse. Special cases were never good news in a hospital.

“Miss… Rainbow Dash?” I’m jolted from my musings by a soft voice. “I need to you come with me.”

I follow the nurse in silence as she leads me down a twisting maze of hallways, past the surgery rooms, the maternal ward, the trauma ward and the long term care units. I gulp as I walk past a sign that reads Intensive Care Unit. Heart monitors beep around me, barely audible above the hustle and bustle of doctors and nurses tending to patients.

We stop outside of a room tucked away in a corner of the ICU, and the nurse flips through her notebook. “Alright, from our records, you accompanied Prism Glider in the ambulance, but we don’t know if you are a family member or not.”

I shake my head. “No, I’m his uh… marefriend.”

“Do you know any of his family members? His next of kin? Any information about who we might contact in case he is unable to make medical decisions on his own?”

I continue shaking my head. I hadn’t thought about how little I actually know about Prism Glider. I knew he had a job as a weatherpony, somewhere, but that was it. No family, no hometown, not even any other friends, as far as I could tell. He had come to Manehattan alone, and left his past behind him.

The nurse sighs. “Alright, well, since we have nothing else to go on, I’ll let you inside, but you need to understand that he’s had his wings amputated, and the doctors aren’t sure if he’s ever going to wake up. If he is indeed comatose, we will have to find a family member to make medical decisions for him.”

I nod, trying to keep myself from breaking down in tears. Never wake up? The nurse opens the door. I hesitate for a brief moment, hoping against hope that this is a nightmare. Eventually, I drag myself through the doorway and into a dark room, lit only by a single small window. A chair sits by a single potted plant, opposite a large bed occupied by a dark figure. An involuntary gasp leaves my throat as I realize the pony I’m looking at is actually Prism Glider.

He is absolutely covered in bandages, and his wings are clearly gone. Tubes and IV lines hang off of his body, connecting him to a terrifying array of beeping machines keeping him alive.

“He’s in pretty bad shape,” whispers the nurse. I don’t reply, and eventually she closes the door and leaves me with him. I drag myself towards the chair, and quietly break down in tears. No one is there to comfort me as I sit down, alone with the pegasus who had stolen my heart.

Alone with my mistakes.


The next 48 hours pass quickly. Sometimes I forget to eat. Sometimes the nurses send me home, saying visitor hours have ended. I simply come back as soon as they’ll let me. When I tell the hotel I need to extend my stay indefinitely, the whole story slips out, and they let me stay free of charge for as long as I need. Instead of making me feel better, it just makes me feel worse. They keep saying it was a terrible accident.

I know better.


“You woke up the next day, and, well, you know the rest,” says Rainbow Dash, curled up on a pillow. Days have passed since she began her side of the story. I’d spent several nights pondering her words, and still have no idea how to react. I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling, unsure of what to do. So I do nothing.

“I’ll just… let you sleep now,” mumbles Rainbow Dash, as she gets up off her pillow and starts towards the door. By now, she knows when I just want to be alone, to process everything that had happened. Of course, visiting hours weren’t over quite yet. I could still stop her and put all this behind us. I could still bring her back.

Rainbow Dash falters and turns around, opening her mouth but saying nothing. After a moment of hesitation, she closes her mouth and looks at me with a pained expression. All I had to do was say something. Just a few words, and all would be forgiven, and we could live happily ever after... Except my wings are gone and my dreams have been taken from me.

Rainbow Dash turns around, and I watch her leave.

I say nothing.

Author's Note:

This chapter took a long time to write because of a lot of stuff that was going on. Once again, part of this chapter is based on a recent event. I can't promise the next chapter will happen soon, but I wanted to at least conclude the first arc of the story.

In addition, two paragraphs in Chapter 7: Date were retconned to account for the Season 5 finale.

Editors: Acarcion, Takarashi282, Door Matt
Pre-readers: SmurfOnSteroids, Lancerot, MLPDavester, Electric Blade, TheAccidentalBrony, nightwalker