• Published 28th Jun 2014
  • 5,465 Views, 147 Comments

The Pyro - The Infinity Doctor



Queen Chrysalis, leader of her changeling hive, is bent on getting revenge for what went down at the royal wedding.

  • ...
12
 147
 5,465

Fuel For The Fire

It stared at them through the dome, its eyes unblinking as they stared back.

"Sir, it's scaring me" a guard called out, not taking his eyes off of the thing.

"It's just sitting there, private"

"Exactly, sir"

Shining Armor silently agreed with his subordinate, finding the creature's behavior to be eerie. It was struggling earlier, what was it planning? Why was it just sitting there? Was it using reverse psychology? He had no way of knowing, the monster had been silent up to this point, and when it did speak, it came out garbled and distorted. It was trying to psych him out! How dare it! Well two could play at that game!


Pyro stared at the white pony, a male, if he wasn't mistaken, as it stared right back at him. He sighed to himself, resting his head in his gloved hands. He wished he could get out of the dome, but his weapons had no effect on it, every blow he dealt only resulted in the shield pulsing, and returning to its pinkish hue. And so, he could do nothing but sit, biding his time until...something, anything happened. He'd trade this for one of Heavy's 'everything sandvich' in a heartbeat.

He forced down a gag.

Okay, maybe he wasn't that desperate...

The glittery ponies continued to watch him, himself returning the favor as he met their gazes.

'This is a little fun...' he mused, shifting himself 'I guess there are worse ways to spend an afternoon...'

The non-shiny pony, the white stallion, stepped forward, his gaze stern as he took a stance of superiority.

"Why are you here?" he asked/commanded.

"Mppha, mmm, mmmm mmm huddah, huda HOWA, hu mmph" he explained, gesturing to the bubble.

He face-palmed, so hard the very ground shook beneath him.

"Pha huh..." he complained.

A pad of old paper, a quill, and an inkpot slid through the bubble, skidding to a halt before him.

"For communication" the stallion said, as if he were an idiot.

Plucking the objects from the cobblestone, he held them at the ready, dipping the end of the quill into the inkpot.

"Wuh?" he asked, staring back at the pony.

"Why are you here? Why have you attacked us?" the pony asked.

Sightseeing he scratched out, somewhat sarcastically.

'Not a total lie...' he convinced himself.

The stallion took the paper- it passed through the dome, and into his hoof.

"You consider attacking ponies as part of a sightseeing trip?" he asked incredulously.

Needed a hobby...

"Uh-huh..." the stallion replied, unconvinced "why did you kill those ponies?"

They attacked first he responded simply.

"That doesn't give you the right to kill them- self-defense, maybe, but you killed multiple members of the Crystal Royal Guard"

You try it sometime, see how well that works out for you

The stallion rolled his eyes, and turned away from him.

"You're to remain under close watch until further notice" he said, trotting away.

'Dammit...'


The Crystal Guard, as well as a few curious Crystal ponies watched with rapt attention as the creature trapped inside the small dome toyed with the fire between its hands, shaping the dancing flame with its yellow-tipped fingers.

"How does it do that?"
"Is this some kind of magic show?"

The ponies continued to chatter amongst themselves as it seemed to ignore them as it went about its business, literally playing with fire.

"It's things like that, Cadie," Shining Armor said, shuffling out of the way, so his wife might peek through the telescope "that really makes me concerned about what we're dealing with..."
"I can see where it might be a problem when it's fighting..." the pink alicorn replied "...but besides it playing with fire, what's really so strange about it?"
"Cadie...did you even hear yourself, just now?"

The princess playfully bopped him on the nose with a wing tip, making the prince wrinkle his muzzle.

"I certainly did; but, back to my question?"
"It terrifies me," he said simply "one minute, it's setting fire to the Crystal Guard, the next, its entertaining the whole Empire with the very thing that makes it dangerous! It just doesn't make any sense!"
"I wouldn't say the entire Empire, Shiny...it's just a...oh, there are a few more..."

"Cadie!"

"Oh, sorry, I was just-"
"-surprised?"
"Yes..."
"Welcome to my world..."

Cadence thought on it for a bit, her hoof placing itself beneath her muzzle as she wondered, searching for a possible answer to their current predicament.

"Well...he's dangerous, correct?" she asked, her eyes focusing on the brilliant skies above the empire's thorough-fare.
"He can shoot fire from his hands, I'd say 'buck yes'"
"He's just as dangerous as any unicorn," Cadence responded "if you treat him with kindess, he might repay it"
"With a hay-duken to the forehead?" he said sarcastically.

Cadence bopped him once more, a little harder this time.

"Shiny, how do you think a pony would feel if you just put him in a bubble, and kept him under close guard?"
"Scared...alone, I guess..." he reasoned.
"His mannerisms seem to be similar to crystal ponies, as well"
"He's just as capable of setting the Empire aflame as the scullery maid down the hall"
"The scullery maid doesn't have a horn..."

"Shiny..."
"Alright, alright- but we reacted to the situation, we couldn't just let it roam free!"
"I'm not arguing with your decision" she replied, embracing her husband.
"I know..."
"But I'm just asking...could you treat it- him, less like a monster, and more like a pony"

"But-"

"Please Shiny? For me?"

He his years of training crumbled beneath her adorable puppy eyes.

"For you, anything" he responded.

The two shared a kiss, more of a peck on the lips.

"Sometimes...I don't know how you ended up with a stallion like me..." he said.
"A certain sister-in law comes to mind"

A knock at the balcony door.

"Sir? I hate to interrupt your highnesses-"

"What's he done this time?"