• Published 26th Jun 2014
  • 778 Views, 39 Comments

Lyra's Voyages 2: On Strange Tides - Prince_Staghorn



Lyra is at it again, with an adventure on the high seas!

  • ...
0
 39
 778

The Biggest Thing In The Sea

Day 3...

Before I continue, I feel like I should give you an idea of our makeshift ship.

Aspidochelone, or Jasconius are light brown whales with green algae on their finless backs. They typically live in the middle of vast oceans, where they normally live off plankton. They are normally docile creatures that don't attack sapients, however when provoked they can easily destroy a ship with a single flip of a flipper. Fortunately, there aren't many things that can provoke a Jasconius due to their huge size and tough skin.

While these whales usually travel alone separate from their own kind, they are accompanied by an ecosystem of creatures that live a symbiotic life with them. Most of the creatures are parasites that live off its blood, but there are however two that stand out the most. One of them are the kujata, large bull-like amphibians that live on the back and eat the parasites there. The other are the falaks, large snake-like fish that live underneath the belly and eat the parasites. While both of them mostly serve to eat the parasites away, they can also provde the whale with some much needed assistance in more areas. One particular area is taking down huge prey. While Jasconius are capable of taking down huge prey with their large mouths, it usually not enough to overpower some like the kraken. However with help from kujata and falaks acting like small foot soldiers, a Jasconius can take prey on like a fully manned battleship. With the combined effort of the kujata's strength to subdue hazards like waving tentacle, the shocking ability of falaks to slow down prey, and the overall might of the whale itself, large and very resistant prey can be taken down.


A single day had passed since we had lost the ship, and our alimaricorn companion was still nowhere to be seen. I hoped she was alright.

The Captain was resting by the side of the whale, fishing as the massive beast drifted along. Maud and I had settled into grazing the damp, bitter algae from the back, and Ditzy was actually diving into the waves to catch fish*, swimming like a dolphin to catch them.

The kujata watched us warily. The Captain had already taken one of their number, but hadn't found the frog-like flesh appealing. He ate it, nonetheless, and used its bones to fashion various objects.

The thing about being on the back of a giant whale: there's no shade. We spent our days near the sides just so the spray could keep us cool, moving onto the whale's back at night.

Day 6...

I could barely believe it when Ditzy said she spotted land, but looking into the distance, I saw the distinct outline. The problem would be swimming that distance.

Luckily, we didn't need to. The water was pink with krill close to the island, and the Jasconius followed its stomach. It slowly turned and headed for the swarm. Baby kujata, like red, calf-headed, ten-eyed, eight-flippered seals, raced ahead of it.

As soon as we were sure we could make it, we jumped. Maud hung onto the Captain, while I grabbed Ditzy. The two carried us to shore.

It wasn't Echidna. The steaming jungle made that perfectly clear. I couldn't tell what island this was. The whale had bypassed Echidna's coordinants three days ago. We were somewhere southwest of it.

Something washed up on the beach. A certain individual I thought we would never see again.

Ocean Wave looked beaten and haggard, but she was still alive. AND she had somehow grabbed mine and Maud's bags!**

It turns out, after the feeding frenzy, she had been following the whale, but could not get close enough to board due to the falaks under the whale's belly, and couldn't fly because of our bags. She had tiredly swam at a safe distance, though a shark had managed to get his teeth on a wing, recieving a mouthfull of feathers and a hoof to the nose.

We were just glad to be together again. But now we were on an unknown island with no way to get off.

Now what?

Apparently, charging headfirst into the jungle.

"Storm's comin'," the Captain explained. "Don't want to be down on the beach when it hits."

We followed him, finding a cave for the night. camp was made, safe food was gathered, and we had a fire going.

An hour past sunset, the storm hit, and we were settling in for bed. I was soon asleep.

***

I woke up when I heard the whispering.

"Hyrana fel kas?"

"Sask! Berstak far kin!"

I opened my eyes.

A hairless white form was bent over me. It had large, bat-like ears, red eyes, and large, blood-draining fangs.

I screamed as loud as I could. The others woke, and the things... ponies... darted back into the recesses of the cave. I caught a glimpse. They had no horns or wings, and had three toes: a hoof that touched the ground, and a curved claw on either side. We ran out... except for the captain, who had his throat torn out.

What sort of hellhole had we stumbled into?

Author's Note:

*Read Peace at Last for an explanation.

**Waterproof, so nothing would get wet.