• Published 26th Jun 2014
  • 1,022 Views, 34 Comments

School Transferred - SparkStone



After a high school gets sent to Equestria, Mark and Balkin must do what they can to stay safe and sane.

  • ...
4
 34
 1,022

Trouble in school (Part 2)

Mark saw Princess Cadence, also known as the princess of love. Her light purple eyes gazed towards the human boy as he just waited there for something to be said.

"You must be Mark. I'm Princess Cadence." She introduced herself.

"Um… Hi…" Mark replied before yawning loudly. He rubbed his eyes as he wobbled a bit too. Cadence easily noticed his drowsiness as he rocked back and forth.

Giggling to herself, Cadence opened up an offer. "Would you like some coffee so I can talk to you without having you asleep?"

"Oh yes, please." Mark accepted.


Drinking the coffee down the hatch, he breathed out a warm breath from the satisfying elixir, waking him up from his exhaustion. Cadence waited patiently for Mark to open his eyes completely before saying what was on her mind. It was a nice breezy day outside of the school's central park. They sat at the table just a few feet away from the café run by ponies, taking advantage of the selling spot as well as the free extra help from students who volunteered.

Finally, after Mark was fully awakened, he stretched his arms before saying, "Alright Princess Cadence. Why did you get me out of class?"

"Well, your teacher Twilight called me." Cadence explained.

"Huh… How do you know her?" Mark wondered.

"She's my sister in law."

"Oh… I see." Mark replied, taking a sip of what's left of the coffee. He wasn't sure where this was going, but knowing it might have something to do with Twilight, he was a bit on edge.

"Now, she called me over to talk to you about… Well, some advice on attracting a mate."

Right there was when Mark slammed his head down the table, cursing his teacher under his breath. He got back up and tried to smile no matter how annoying it was going through this.

"That's okay." Mark told her while gritting his teeth. "I'm not really interested in that right now."

"Well, Twilight told me that you've been looking a little lonely seeing how you only have one friend, that boy named Balkin." Cadence pointed out.

"And I'm fine with that." Mark assured her.

"I'm sure you are, but you should know there is more to life than just your one friend." Cadence told Mark. "There's the plentiful amount of friends you'll make here at school and in Ponyville, and also the love of your life."

Mark rolled his eyes, blowing a huff at all of this. "I like being alone, alright? And besides, I never was interested in going to Ponyville."

"Why not?" Cadence wondered.

"Well… Mostly because I got better things to do." Mark replied. In his mind however, he had a different thought. I also don't want to meet anymore ponies. Miss Twilight is already a hassle.

Cadence sighed at his response. "Well, you must have met some pony that you've been interested in here at school. Surely some pony."

By some pony, she mean somebody in my language. "No, I haven't. Listen, as much as I want to hear about all the beautiful things of love, I need to get back to class."

Mark got up and walked away from Cadence followed by a groan. "Thanks for the coffee. It was nice."


In Animal Care, Mark and Balkin were checking on their assignment. The behavior patterns of their newly born bunnies. Balkin was asleep while Mark checked the little rabbits. He wasn't fond of animals, but still liked anything cute. The bunnies were still so young, eyes still closed, but fur had begun to show. It felt like it was only yesterday they were back in their world and the bunnies looked like naked mole rats.

"Aw, aren't you a cutie?" Mark teased as he held one of them up to his face. The bunny sniffed him and licked the tip of his nose. He chuckled before placing it back into the cage so it could eat the meal Balkin had placed before taking a nap.

"Mark!" Mrs. Paula, the teacher of animal care called out. "Someone's here to see you."

Mark was getting tired of this. He didn't like his teacher pulling strings on his school life. "Can you tell Miss Sparkle or Princess Cadence that I'm busy?"

"It's not them." Mrs. Paula replied. "Also, I wouldn't want to keep her waiting."

Mark groaned and looked at Balkin. He poked him until he woke up. "Hey, wake up."

"Huh? What?" Balkin said as he rubbed his eyes. "What is it? I'm trying to take a nap."

"Watch the critters. I gotta go." Mark told him.

"Again!?" Balkin yelled. "Why are you always moving around? Did you get popular or something?"

"You wanna talk to whoever's beyond that door? I've been meeting a bunch of ponies lately."

"Pass, I'm not into politics." Balkin declined.

Mark rolled his eyes before grabbing his stuff and leaving the class. Balkin looked at the bunnies before him for ten seconds before falling back to sleep. It wasn't until he heard a soft voice whisper in his sleep.

"Aw! How could any pony ignore you?"

Balkin tried to ignore the voice, but it was very expressive.

"You're so adorable! Some pony needs to keep an eye after you."

Balkin clenched his eyes shut, trying his best to ignore the voice. Ignore hippie… Ignore hippie

"Excuse me?" The quiet voice spoke to Balkin as well as poking his arm.

Annoyed and tired, he got up and yawned before realizing his new partner was the yellow pegasus, Fluttershy.

"Who're you?" Balkin questioned.

"Oh, um… My name is Fluttershy…" She answered.

"Butter Guy? Uh… Wow…" Balkin responded as he rubbed his eyes. "I guess you kinda look like you're made of butter."

"N-No… I'm Fluttershy…"

"So! Butter Guy, what is it?" Balkin asked.

"Oh, well… I think you should pay attention to the bunnies. They're so young, they need proper caring." Fluttershy advised Balkin. "Also, I'm a girl."

"Well Butter Guy, to tell you the truth, I don't really care about bunnies."

Fluttershy gasped before saying, "What!? Why!?"

"It's a fur ball that breathes." Balking pointed out. "Besides, I like lions way better. You know, cool animals that bite and stuff."

"Even so, you should take care of these bunnies! If you don't, who will?"

"Mark, my partner." Balkin answered. "Since he's not here right now, you wanna watch after these guys?"

"Me? Why, I'd love to!" She said before turning to the rabbits. "Don't worry little ones! Fluttershy is going to look after you now."

"Fluttershy?" Twilight called as she entered the classroom too. "What are you doing here?"

Are we taking care of horses now? Balkin wondered.

"Well, you see, this student here was ignoring the bunnies who need special care. So I wanted to take care of them in his place." Fluttershy explained.

"I'm sorry, I can't let you do that Fluttershy." Twilight told her. "He needs to do his own work. And since you're neither a teacher nor a student, you can't interfere."

"But, the bunnies-!"

"Eh!" Twilight cut her off with her hoof raised up. "No means no. And Balkin."

"Yes?" Balkin responded to his teacher's call.

"First of all…" Twilight growled while closing her eyes. She levitated a sheet of paper up to Balkin's face for him to see. "Can you explain the meaning of this?"

Balkin looked at the familiar sheet of paper with a picture of Twilight and an arrow pointing to her horn. It read, Twilight's Horn- finishing off with an unpleasant word. He only laughed at the sight before saying, "Um… I don't know Miss Sparkle. You might wanna ask Mrs. Paula. She's an expert at mating research."

His comedy routine stopped as Twilight closed in and said, "I'll see you in detention. On time."

As Twilight left, Balkin slouched and complained. "Can you believe that Butter Guy? She can't even take a joke."

"Um… I'm Fluttershy… and, can you please watch after the bunnies?"

He wailed his arms around an groaned loudly before giving in. "Fine, I'll watch after the balls of fur."

"Thank you." Fluttershy replied gratefully before leaving Balkin alone. As Balkin watched the rabbits for a couple of seconds, he began to grow drowsy. However, before his head even reached the table, Mrs. Paula scolded at him.

"Balkin! Proper care requires the parent to be awake."

He looked at the teacher wondering how she noticed him since he was in the back of the classroom. As it turns out, Fluttershy was still there watching him, making sure he was awake. He glared at her as she timidly smiles and waves over to him.

"Butter Guy, you suck…" Balkin sneered.


Mark was having his usual meeting with Princess Celestia in the park. The conversation would usually be about the morale of students, food supplies, anything they need in particular, so on and so forth. Mark always made his demands brief. Not too much, not too little. However, their meetings never end quickly. Celestia had extended the time of their meetings due to the fact that she was intrigued by the humans. Mark never noticed her actions since she was as mischievous as any other student here. Only difference was that she knew how to hide it right. Didn't make her impure of heart though.

"So, we need about two hundred rolls of toilet paper, month supply of food, twenty tons of paper-"

"What kind of food?" Celestia asked.

"What?"

"What kind of food? Turnips, onions, carrots, roses-"

Mark felt his stomach gurgle up at the mentioning of eating plants of the inedible. "No flowers… None at all…"

Celestia raised her eyebrow as she began to wonder. "But what about these flowers you're growing? They're here ready to eat." She pointed out as she snacked on a bud of a nearby daisy.

"Those are for decoration and atmosphere." Mark retorted.

After Celestia swallowed her snack, she commented, "Humans use flowers as a decoration? What a strange culture you all have."

"There are a bunch of cultures back at my world." Mark told Celestia. "Heck, you might get to see a bunch of different cultures if you talk to other students around here."

"How many of your friends have a different culture?" Celestia asked.

"I only have Balkin as my only friend, so I'm not too familiar with different cultures."

Celestia tilted her head and brought it up to Mark. "Why is that Mark?"

"Why is what?" He questioned.

"Why you only have one friend."

"Kinda busy, you know?" Mark answered as he lightly nudged her head away from him. "Seeing how I have to be the ambassador of a school, all while I'm still having to focus on my studies."

"There's always time to make friends Mark." Celestia told him.

"Right, sure there is." Mark said sarcastically. "While I'm at it, I'll build a theme park."

Celestia playfully chuckled as she said, "Aren't you touchy?"

"Geez, you sound like my Mom."

The princess wrapped the student with her magnificent wing and said, "Isn't a motherly personality nice?"

"Not really." He said without hesitation.

No matter what Mark said, Celestia only smiled and laughed it off. Nothing bothered her and it only fueled her desire to teach Mark something about opening up. Sadly, he had no intention on turning over a new leaf yet.

"Don't you have some royal responsibilities to go to?" he asked.

"Ah yes." she said solemnly. "Too bad. I wanted to get to know you better."

"Why do you want to get to know me?" Mark asked with a hint of paranoia.

"Well, I wanted to learn more about my only human friend." She stated, nuzzling him by the nose. Mark backed up and blushed a bit before she took off. As she did, Mark turned around and sighed.

"I don't want anyone to know about me." Mark thought to himself. "I just want to be alone with my work so that someday…"


Balkin was in detention chewing on his pencil as he watched Twilight going over the test.

This is so boring… Uh, there has to be something to do…

He looked outside to see students playing basketball. He happened to notice a cyan blue pegasus with a rainbow mane playing with them. She was dashing around the kids swiftly and easily as she scored net after net. Balkin stared at her as she did a slam dunk with her mane blowing in the wind. He was very impressed.

Whoa… Why can't Butter Guy be like her?

"Balkin?" Twilight called.

"Huh? Um- Yes Miss Sparkle?" he responded.

"What are you looking at?" She questioned before leaning over the desk to see the basketball game. "Oh… I guess you were watching that."

"Is there a problem with that?"

"No, of course not." Twilight assured him. "Now… How did you do on today's test?"

"Hm? I… Well I think?" Balkin shrugged.

Twilight looked very sad. Balkin noticed easily as she just stared at the sheets of paper. Balkin felt as if she was disappointed in him for failing the test. She didn't look like she wanted to talk anymore.

"Um… So how did I do?" He wondered.

"Do you really want to know?" Twilight questioned, only to receive a blank stare from Balkin as his response. "I thought so."

She must be really peeved! I know it's only been like a week, but she doesn't act this serious around me. Then again, this is the first test I ever took. She was pretty excited about being a teacher when she volunteered. Heck, she even butted into our lives when we didn't want her to. Why so gloomy now?

Then again, I'd rather not find out. She doesn't seem like she's in a chatty mood right now.

The bell finally rung, making Balkin nearly jump out of his desk. He went over to the door and left. As he walked through the hallway, he felt an urge to check on his teacher. Though he wasn't completely fond of her, he didn't want to leave her like this. At least, part of him didn't. He peeked back inside to see her lying on her desk, almost as if she was crying. At that moment, Balkin lost the confidence to help her. Seeing her cry made it awkward for him, so he decided to leave.

Maybe she'll be fine tomorrow.


Another day in class. Mark woke up among the hundreds of students with him in the gymnasium. He and Balkin brushed their teeth, changed in the bathrooms, and got their backpacks and some other stuff out of the lockers. They were walking down the hall with a topic at hand.

"She was crying?" Mark repeated the words of his friend.

"Yeah! It was so weird! I know she wasn't exactly Miss Sunshine, but she was bawling over! I couldn't bring myself to go in that room since it'd be… Well, weird."

"What do you think she was crying about?"

"I don't know. She asked about how I did on the test at one point. Maybe she was sad that I failed." Balkin guessed.

"Wait, you failed the test yesterday?"

"It was pretty hard for a test with twenty questions."

As Mark and Balkin peeked inside the classroom, they saw the students sitting at their desks. The usual talkative atmosphere of the classroom was now a stale and stressful. No one talked and looked as if they were too scared to talk. Their teacher, Twilight was nowhere to be seen.

"Where's Miss Sparkle?" Mark wondered.

Just as he asked that, Twilight was looming over them with a deathly glare. Balkin happened to notice and turned slowly to see her intimidating eyes.

"Is… Is she… behind us?" Mark happened to ask.

Balkin nodded before Twilight levitated the two over to their desks and dropped them on their chairs. Her attitude towards the student wasn't to the point where she started beating them to death, or using her magic to torture them. Thank goodness for that. One thing though was a noticeable expression upon Twilight. It was a mix of anger, sadness, and disappointment. She walked to the front of the classroom and gathered everyone's attention.

"Class… Tell me… What are we learning in here?" Twilight asked.

"Equestrian History." They all said in unison.

"Really? Is that what we're learning?"

The student exchanged confused looks before Twilight slammed a stack of papers on her desk with her magic.

"Your grades… All of you… Every single one of you failed…"

Mark was surprised. He looked around to see the students eerily silent as if they knew. Mark looked back to Twilight to see her shedding tears.

"So you really didn't listen, did you? None of you did…" Twilight stated. She walked to the board trying her best to hold herself together. She then began to say what was on her mind.

"I was very excited during my first few days here. Even though you all are different creatures, I sensed that you all had the intelligence and the sentience like us ponies. I believed that you were eager to learn seeing how you're in school. You all… acted like you cared about our history…"

"No! That's not true Miss Sparkle!" One of the students claimed.

"Yeah! We love having you as our teacher!" Another added.

"Oh really!? Then explain this!" Twilight shouted. She levitated the papers and showed all the F's from all of her students. Every paper was an F. There wasn't even a D minus. For every page flipped, the students began to turn away in shame. Mark only watched as Twilight simply dropped the papers onto the floor.

"You all lied about wanting to learn. You all didn't care at all about our history. You wasted your time and my time. Worst of all, you made me think… You made me think I was inspiring some pony… You made me think I was helping some pony… You… You…"

"Miss… I mean… Twilight." Mark called out. Twilight looked up to see Mark raising his hand. His face was not the usual uncaring expression as before. It had a sense of humanity in it this time. Twilight looked at him for a moment before saying something back.

"Yes… Mark?"

"I didn't finish the test yesterday because I was too tired. I can finish it today if I can."

She merely closed her eyes and said, "Why don't you just skip it. I have a feeling you won't do any better."

"Please ask me the questions Twilight. I think I can do it." Mark insisted.

Twilight sighed and began the test. "What do the Elements of Harmony consist of?"

"Kindness, Loyalty, Honesty, Laughter, Generosity, and the Spark."

Twilight's eyes widened in disbelief. She had previously checked Mark's test to be nothing but squiggly lines. She then continued the test with a speck of eagerness.

"How many years was Luna banished to the moon?"

"A thousand years."

"When was she released?"

"When the stars aid her escape, Summer Sun Celebration."

Question after question, Twilight's hopes began to return. Mark was focused and answering them without hesitation. Students were impressed that he was actually able to remember this fairy tale of a history. As he reached the last question, Twilight asked it slowly.

"Who is the current ruler… of the Crystal Empire?"

Mark stood still, unsure what to say. He could barely recall what he read in the textbook anymore. As the moment passed, Twilight continued.

"Princess of Love…? The pony who you met…?"

"Princess Cadence?" Mark realized.

"Right!" Twilight cried. "You got it right! A plus!"

She hugged Mark tightly as he couldn't help but actually give a meaningful smile. The class clapped for the only student who passed the test. As Twilight releases Mark from her grip, she levitated a sheet of stickers from her desk. She plucked a star shaped sticker out and placed it on Mark's cheek.

"Good job… My faithful student."

Author's Note:

I'm not at my best right now, but this is what I got done. I hope you enjoy.