• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 6,652 Views, 1,309 Comments

Dust on the Wind - Sparky Brony



Mike was an electrician, and had no clue that the My Little Pony world depicted on TV was real. A Five Score Divided by Four story

  • ...
41
 1,309
 6,652

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 57. To Get Too Close to the Sun

***Irony***

I watch Dust streak off, her armor falling to the ground as she wails. All I can do at this point is cry, one I love, killed by another that I love. What am I going to do?

I turn and walk into the house, I quickly shed my armor, I don't need it now. I finally relax onto four legs, I've been on two for far too long, my head hurts. My little Zed brightens as he sees me, and I scoop him up, nuzzling him, then I look at Mischief, she's tottling over to me herself. I gather up the white pegasus and hug her tightly.

"Mommy?" Mischief asks.

I am trying not to sob too much, I'm holding my children here, but Mischief asking for Dust causes me to break down. I sob into her mane, and the small pegasus spreads her wings to hold me as best as she can.

"Love Mommy Iree." The small form says, I hold her tightly.

"Mommy Irony loves Mischief." What am I going to tell her? Not now, I can't tell her this now, I'll have to figure out what to say when she asks about Dr. Ray.

Another form crawls onto the couch with me, I feel a pair of hooves wrapping around me.

"I can't believe it, love." Moon Shadow moans as she squeezes me tightly.

"She's always been impulsive, but why?"

"She seemed to believe she was protecting us, but how?"

Helen walks up, she seems to have been able to compose herself for the most part, Mischief reaches for Helen, and a half snoozing Zed snuggles into her arms, "I'll get these two down for a nap."

Mindy comes in, her phone is in her magic, she sets it down, "I've told the other two main pony colonies, and Velvet's group down in Gallup. I told them to send her back here. No matter what, she needs to be here." She lays down, her head on me, "Why, Dustie, why?"

I shift, it's worth the pain right now, I gather Moon Shadow and Mindy together, I stroke both unicorn's manes, "She had her reasons."

"What could be the reason?"

I sigh, "I keep finding myself trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, we have never lost faith in her before."

"But this was Dr. Ray!" Moon Shadow explodes, she rolls off the couch and starts to pace back and forth, I can see how upset she is, easily as much as I am. "Dr. Ray, Irony, the sire for both of our foals, he was the kindest, most gentle pony I've ever met, you and I heard what happened to him before we turned, before he met us. What the hell?"

"She said that he wasn't Dr. Ray."

Moon Shadow scoffs, "If he were transformed from another pony, in death he would have reverted back, just like changelings do when you kill them. That body is still Dr. Ray. It has to be him."

"Could somepony do the spell to endure even after death?"

Moon shakes her head, "Not possible, there is only one unicorn I know with the requisite power, and of course the alicorns could. But Luna didn't, she wouldn't. Neither would Cadance, I'm still not certain where she is now. Twilight is back in Equestria, as is Princess Celestia, and the only pony that could do it would be Sunset Shimmer."

I shake my head violently, "Sunset would never do that."

She sighs, "Then we are back to square one, Irony. It looks like Dust has gone crazy."

I shake my head again, more violently, "I refuse to believe that Dust could ever go that crazy, there has to be a reason."

"Then what is the reason, Irony? I would love to be able to wrap my mind around this, and find some way to believe that Dust hasn't gone homicidal maniac on us."

I look at Moon Shadow sharply, "Moon!"

She looks at me darkly, "Irony, I love Dust as much as you do, but both of us know exactly what that mare has gone through, she's been captured, she's been violently raped, she had all of her feathers ripped out of her wings, she has gone through more than most ponies could live through. In fact, she should have died under that abuse, under that torture. Is it possible that she cracked under the pressure? Where she actually believed that Dr. Ray was a threat? But in fact, her mind has cracked?"

"No, Moon. Dust is the toughest, most stubborn mare I have ever known. I think it's possible for her to break that way, but I think what it would take to actually break her like that would actually kill her. She recovered from all of that, she was happy, and you know how Mischief as affected her. She love being mommy. I can't see her cracking like that."

She slams a hoof onto the floor, "Then why did she do it, Irony?"

I shake my head, "I don't know, love."

I nod, "I'm so exhausted." Emotionally drained would be the better term, I shift back onto four hooves as I head to the stairs, Mindy and Moon Shadow in tow, I hop up on the big custom built bed, laying down , I gather Mindy and Moon Shadow to me, and after a few minutes, Helen joins us. We lie there for a long time, the only sound is the occasional sob from one of us, then there is a soft knock at the door.

"Can I come in?" Star Shine asks.

I nod at him, Moon Shadow is in my forehooves, he crawls up into the bed, his forelegs holding both of us, his wings spreading out over us mares.

"I'm so sorry, Irony." He whispers.

My response is nonverbal, but I think he's able to get my meaning. I stroke his mane with a hoof, we are all just destroyed right now, I can't believe what happened.

***Sunset Shimmer***

"What are we going to do?" I feel the tears falling, Lightning Dust, why did she do that? Oh poor Dr. Ray.

Mindy, she only slept for about an hour or so, comes up, her hair completely flat, "What are we going to do about his body?"

I sigh, "I put a stasis spell over the body, he was human, so he might want to be buried."

Mindy thinks for a long moment, "Sunset, he loved being a unicorn, I think he would like to be treated as one in death."

I sigh again, it's been only a few hours since Dust went crazy. I don't know what to think about what Lightning Dust did, the look on her face scared me. I'm interrupted by the chime of my phone.

"Hello?" I say as I float the phone up to my ear.

"Dust just left here. I have some questions."

I frown and think for a moment, "Twilight Velvet?"

"Well of course, who else would it be?"

I shudder, one of the hardest teachers I've ever had at Celestia's school for gifted unicorns was Twilight Velvet, "What can I do to help you, Velvet?"

"Lightning Dust made some radical accusations when she was here, she's always had good instincts, I want to know something."

"Dust murdered a pony, that is what happened."

"But the why is what's important, Sunset. Do you remember my courses you went through?"

"Yes."

"I remember a young unicorn more interested in reading spell books rather than paying attention to lectures. But I need you to do a resonance test on the body."

I frown, "A resonance test?"

"I can come up and perform the test, if you wish."

I frown, this is my family we are talking about, "I can handle it, Velvet. I'll call you with the results, when I get them."

I sigh as I disconnect and consider throwing the phone into the wall as fast as I can. Then I remember, Dust got us all new phones, and thinking about her brings tears to my eyes. I sorely wish I could simply go up to the bedroom and lay down with my family. But if I don't follow through with what Twilight Velvet asked, the old battle axe will be up here, demanding to do the test herself. I'm going to do it.

I trot quickly down the stairs to the basement, his body is enveloped in a stasis field, the field isn't actually touching the body, but envelopes it, preventing the magic of the spell from tainting anything for evidentiary reasons. We have had to call Mayor Mare, and some Royal Guards took our statements, but they will want to do an autopsy. I don't know.

Mindy followed me, "Sunset, what are we going to do?"

"Dust said that it wasn't Dr. Ray, I have to see if she's telling the truth or not."

She frowns, "But he still looks like Dr. Ray, how is that possible?"

I shake my head, "I don't know, it is possible to put the spell deeply into the subject, make it endure, but very few unicorns have the power."

"Like you?"

I nod. Then a thought hits me, "Did Dr. Ray have something that meant the world to him?"

Mindy thinks for a moment, the teleports away with the sound of a party horn. And in moments the party unicorn pops back. Her horn still alight, she floats a couple of sheets of paper to me, "This was the letter that his brother wrote to him when he killed himself, it was very important to him. This has to qualify."

I hold the papers in my magic. This should work, I place them on the side table, and look at the body, my horn alighting as I unweave the stasis spell, I could let it simply dissipate naturally, but that takes time, and I don't want the residues from the spell to taint my attempt here.

I take a deep breath and delve the body, then I slam down a shield over the body as the spell I just triggered starts. I grunt and pour more power into the shield, "what the hell is that?"

"Uh, Sunset, why are you covering the body with a shield?"

"Somepony put a failsafe into this. And it's strong."

The power pulses, apparently whomever put the spell on was thinking that a unicorn would try to cover the body and was compensating for it. The power was varying wildly, I have to keep up with the variations otherwise my shield would break. An extremely strong pulse pushes through the shield, blowing Mindy back.

"Sunset!" She shouts as she teleports away, in moments she's back. I divert a small bit of attention and magic away from the spell for a second after a peak and connect myself to the floor, if I get blown back, this spell could easily destroy the house, and maybe the block. I'm holding back the equivalent power of a small nuclear device, but it's not just one pulse and done, it's hundreds of pulses, and I have no idea how long it will take. I look at the body, I'm glad I made the shield transparent, I watch the body change under the effects of the spell. The fur changes color to pure black, his mane turns as well.

Mindy moves forward. "Can I scan through the shield?"

I grunt and nod, my body is getting hot, how long can I keep this up?

Mindy moves forward gingerly and her horn alights again, her eyes get wide, "This was never a living pony, Sunset, it was a golem."

I gasp, "A golem? I thought it was Dr. Ray!"

Mindy walks around the body, staying away from the shield spell, her horn shining brighter, "I don't know if I'm reading the weaves right, but this was created out thin air, a construct. And then once it was finished, a morphing spell was used to make it look like Dr. Ray." She moves up to the head, "And the brain, whomever did it had Dr. Ray, because his memories are here, he likely thought he was Dr. Ray."

A particularly hard pulse has me panting, "What can I do with it, Mindy?"

She looks at me bleakly, "I don't know, Sunset, I'm afraid to teleport it away, if the pony that did the spell was planning on a unicorn using a shield spell, they would think of teleporting the body out of danger, and account for that. I think it would be a mistake to try."

"Mindy, I can't hold on much longer, this is a lot of power."

She giggles and her horn alights once again, "I'll help you, Sunset, we are in this together, love."

I can feel her, she's opening herself to me, I desperately reach out and grab a hold of the power she is offering, and she moans as I draw deeply from her magic as well.

She rubs her temple, "Not the easiest way to be brought into a circle, Sunset." Then she does a double take, "Uhh, Sunset, are you aware that not only are your eyes glowing, but your cutie mark is as well?"

I look at her, "So is yours."

She giggles as the spell gets more wild. We both grunt as we fight to contain the power, we can't talk anymore, everything has to be focused on this, and it's only been about five minutes, how long is this going to last?

"What the hell is…" Helen stops in her tracks as she opens the door and sees both of us, our eyes and cutie marks glowing, our manes wafting in magical aether, as the body has been consumed by fire, our shield stretching over the miniature sun in the laundry room of Dust's house.

I'm able to grunt, "Foals, stallions, now."

Helen disappears, and less than a minute later, Moon Shadow comes in, "What…" She stops and looks at the conflagration, she shouts back down the hallway, her words lost in the noise as the fireball gets bigger, stretching the boundaries of the shield.

"Can I join my power to yours?"

I shake my head, all we would be doing would be containing, we need to get rid of this.

She seems to understand, she comes up to me, and her horn alights, I feel a spell settle over my body, and she does the same for Mindy, then the entire room takes on the glow from her horn. She turns to the wall, and a dark spot appears, rapidly expanding into a hole in reality, though I can see stars. Did she just open a gateway into outer space? She screws up her face in concentration, the body launches through the gateway as I direct the shield to go with the body as it moves, once it's through, the gateway closes, cutting off the flow of my magic.

I release Mindy from the circle, and sit down, I can feel sparks of magic all through my body, I think I'm in trouble.

Moon Shadow gasps, "Sunset, you overdid it, your nose."

I swipe a forehoof across my nose, it comes away covered in blood, "That's not a good sign." I say as darkness overtakes me.

***

I'm awaken in the big family bed, though I think a doctor has come, I can feel a pinch on my forehoof, I open my eyes, greeted by my family.

"Hi everypony, what did I miss?" I chuckle weakly.

"For about an hour, we had a second sun. Sunset Shimmer," Irony says.

I just stare at the massive earth pony, "An hour?"

She nods, I look over at Moon Shadow, "Wonderful thinking, that spell would have overwhelmed us in a matter of minutes."

Moon Shadow smiles shyly, "And then likely would have destroyed New Beginnings, and the surrounding land for about a hundred miles. The casualties would have been in the hundreds of thousands."

I let my head flop back down onto the pillow, "Who has that much power to force a fusion reaction inside the body, and have it be triggered so easily?"

"Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Princess Cadance, Princess Twilight, and you. There may be a few others, Hannah will be able to once her training is completed." Mindy says.

I think for a long moment, "I know I didn't do it, and I have trouble believing that any of the Princesses could do something so horrible."

"Sombra is in Chicago. He might have enough power. I never got a read on him though." Mindy says.

I narrow my eyes, "He was evil, but I don't think it was him."

Irony huffs, "Don't you see what this all means? Dust was right!"

I frown, "I know Dust was right, but how could she know?"

Mindy steps forward, "The answer to that is simple, Sunset. She was a magic user pegasus, and her instincts said that Dr. Ray was a danger to the family as he was, she severed his connection with whomever was controlling him."

Moon Shadow looks thoughtful, "If she had simply accused him, they could have set off the spell remotely, and if you hadn't already been casting magic, the spell would have taken hold immediately, and killed us all."

Irony nods, "We need to call her. Right now." She shifts and reaches over to grab her phone. She taps the screen a few times, and gets voice mail. She tries a second time, same result. She looks defeated.

Moon Shadow smiles, "I'm glad I made those earrings." She puts a hoof to her ear and closes her eyes, then her face scrunches up, after a long moment she opens her eyes, tears starting to fall, "She had to have taken it out, I can feel the earring, it's in Texas, but I can't feel her."

"Where did Dust go?"

I sigh, "I don't know, but we need to let the ponies know, have them let us know if she's found."

Mindy hops up, "I'll get on that, right now."

I look at my family, what are we going to do?"

***Lightning Dust***

Atlanta Georgia, my last resting stop before I hop the gulf and head to Panama. I need to get my head in the game, I need to find Dr. Ray. But right now… I see a building that looks likely, I flutter down and land on the front lawn of the massive building. I sit for a long time, looking at the structure, I can see humans walking into it, and I feel the draw of this place, I look around, it's all humans, though they seem to look at me curiously, they don't really take note of the pegasus in their midst. I hop over a hedge to the sidewalk and head to the entrance, following the humans. I can see them notice me, but the fact there is no uproar tells me that the media campaign has been at least somewhat successful, they don't see a beast, or a monster in their midst. One time I'm happy to be a non issue.

I find a seat and hop into it, staying in the back of the huge auditorium. In moments the lights go down and the band starts to play. I lose myself in the music, singing 'How Great thou Art' really makes me feel a connection, to what, I don't know. But I take comfort in it.

The pastor comes forward after the song ends, "Welcome one and all to First Baptist church." I smile as I settle in for the service.

A little over an hour later, all the humans start filing out. I simply sit, my attention inward as the hall slowly empties. The humans left me alone throughout the service, I just needed to come for that connection. Something at times I craved as a human, and I'm finding I crave it from time to time as a pony as well. Finally someone is standing next to me, I look around, it looks like cleaning staff is working their way through the building. I look at the man, he's in his mid 30's, clean shaven, dark hair, and bright blue eyes.

He holds out a hand, "It's nice to get our first Equestrian visitor."

I shake my head, "Oh, I'm sorry, service is over, I'd better go."

He takes a gentle step forward, his hand still extended, "You are welcome here, all children of God are welcomed here."

I cock my head to the side, "Really? Even ponies?"

"You can talk, you can think, you can know the glory of God himself, so yes, even ponies like you."

I finally extend a hoof, and open my mouth, he cuts me off, "It's nice to meet Lightning Dust of the show."

I chuckle, "And here I am not even having a clue what your name is."

He smiles, "I'm pastor Ron, this is my church, the people are my flock. I take care of them."

I nod, "Thank you Pastor Ron. But I really should be going."

He shakes his head, "Well, in fact, I would like to have a talk with you, would you join me in my office?"

I shrug my wings and hop off the chair, I quickly follow him into his office, and he gestures me to sit in a seat, and he forgoes the desk and sits in the chair next to me. Before I can say a word, his face turns serious, "I can tell a soul in pain, Lightning Dust."

Before I know it, I'm being hugged by the human, sobbing into his shoulder, telling him how everything fit together, how there was an immediate and terrible danger to my family and I had to act. Even though it looked like the pony I loved, doing that tore at my soul.

Finally I put down the last of about the twentieth tissue, "Thank you for listening to me babble away."

He smiles, "Dust, you are an exceptional pony, and it saddens me greatly to know that your family rejected you. I would like to point out an equivalent story in the bible, but sadly, none exist." He stops and chuckles, "That being said, your family was reacting out of pain. I think if you were to go back to them, they would find it in their hearts to forgive you."

I shake my head, "I killed, I killed one who looks exactly like the father to some of our foals, one who has saved several lives with his magic, there is only one thing I can do."

"Find Dr. Ray?"

I nod, "That is the only way they will be able to forgive me. I need to find him."

He gives me another hug, "Then go with God, and know that he truly loves all of his creations." He smiles, "Even the ponies."

I give him a grateful smile as I leave, in minutes, I'm in the air, Panama, here I come.

PreviousChapters Next