• Published 4th Jul 2014
  • 6,652 Views, 1,309 Comments

Dust on the Wind - Sparky Brony



Mike was an electrician, and had no clue that the My Little Pony world depicted on TV was real. A Five Score Divided by Four story

  • ...
41
 1,309
 6,652

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35. Family Affairs

***3rd person***

"Go the fuck away!" Helen hears a scream. Then she hears something heavy impacting the wall next to the door. Dr. Ray ducks out of the bedroom. Unshed tears quite evident in his eyes. Helen kneels down and gives the unicorn a hug.

"It's alright Dr. Stevens. Mike was never a good patient. And I'm pretty sure Dust isn't either."

He pulls back from the hug, "I know her anger isn't really at me. But it still hurts."

Helen stands up and puts a hand on the lever style door knob, "I'll have a talk with her."

He waves a hoof, "No, not about that. Her anger is understandable, she's pretty much a complete invalid. She can't do anything she wants to do. And she hurts all the time. I've got her on some pretty strong painkillers, but she's still in constant pain. This is far worse than the gunshot she received."

Helen chuckles, "I know, Doctor. But I do want to talk to her."

She pulls her phone and sends a quick text as she opens the door. "I heard someone's manners could use some adjustment."

Dust looks at her, then folds her forehoofs in front of her chest with a huff, "He's not doing anything for me."

Helen cocks her head to the side, "Are you so certain, Dust? Your wounds are mere scars now. Your wings are starting to grow feathers back. You are on the road to recovery."

She huffs again, "In Equestria, I'd be good as new right now."

Helen laughs gently, "One, we aren't in Equestria right now, and two, the full healing magic requires magical strength from the pony being healed. You were just brought back from nearly dying. Be a little forgiving."

Dust slowly extends a wing, the beginnings of new feathers evident, "I hurt, Helen. I hurt so much," She presses her hoof gently to her nether regions covered by the comforter, "But there are some places that hurt even worse. I lie here, just in pain. I've never been laid up before, and it sucks."

Helen moves over and sits on the bed with Dust, "Oh Dust. I understand what you are going through. I've had to recover from surgery, and I don't have magically assisted healing."

Dust turns her head away, "I know. I took care of you when you needed it."

"Yes, you did."

Dust is silent for a long moment, then she turns to Helen, "Did you order me a new phone?"

She gets a nod.

"And a new case?"

Another nod. The pegasus returns a short nod, then snuggles down, "I want to sleep."

Helen pulls the covers off of Dust and dumps them to the floor, "No, it's too early in the day. You aren't going to be sleeping for a while.

"What the hell Helen?! I'm tired, I want to sleep."

"Do you remember what you did when I got to the point where I didn't want to go on?"

A long time grumbling from Dust, "Yeah."

"Well, consider that favor returned."

The turqoise pegasus rolls her eyes as the door opens. Irony sticks a head into the room.

"You texted me?"

Helen smiles brightly at the midnight blue mare. "I've been told that physical therapy is important." She gets a venomous glare from Dust, but she continues, "for anyone to heal. And I was told this by Michael Shaw after I had surgery." She ads in with a pointed look back at Dust, "And I think it's time for our resident pegasus to get her hooves back on the ground."

Dust growls at her, "You wouldn't."

Helen laughs, "Honey, I already have. Come on Irony."

Irony chuckles as she shifts and moves to the bed.

"I'm injured, I should be resting, I don't need to go outside…" Her protestations continue as the strong earth pony picks her up and cradles her next to her body. Dust's protests become a wail as Irony descends the stairs and heads outside.

Shortly Lightning Dust is laying on the large dock jutting into the lake from the back porch of her house.

"I don't wanna, just bring me back inside, please Irony, I don't want to be outside right now."

Irony kneels down and gently takes Dust's muzzle in her hand, silencing her, "Love. You need to get on your hooves. If you get on your hooves and walk right back to your bedroom, I'll be happy. But I'll be even happier if you walk around for a while. Your muscles need exercise. You remember your training as a Wonderbolt. Did all your training focus on your wings, and flight?"

Dust scoffs, "No, of course not. Wonderbolts need to be in their prime at all times, and not just our wings, but our entire bodies…" She trails off, she was reciting words from her trainers, words she had said to other ponies when recovering from injury. She looks down, "I still don't wanna."

Irony chuckles, "But you are going to, right?"

Tears form in Dust's eyes, and she gives Irony her best little lost puppy dog look, "Please, Irony. I promise I'll do it tomorrow, but not right now."

Irony tosses her mane from side to side, "No, Dust. It's now. And tomorrow, and the day after that. Until your wings have their plumage back, you need to get around, and not by me carrying you."

"Oh, but I like you carrying me, Irony." Again with the puppy dog look. Irony growls gently.

"Dust, you get on your hooves or so help me I'll just dump you into the water and let you swim."

With a hurt look the turquoise pegasus gathers her hooves underneath her. With multiple grunts and groans, some of which were likely all theatrics, she slowly gets to her hooves.

"There, I'm standing, now I'm going to head to my room, and lock the fucking door." She takes a step, then another step, but on her third step she face plants, "Or maybe not."

She tries again, without a single word from the assembled ponies and humans. She makes it four steps. After her third attempt she's covered in sweat, and she's panting on the ground, "I can't, not any more. Please, not any more."

Irony steps forward and gathers her up, "Oh Dust, you did wonderful."

The pegasus spasms in her hands, "No, I didn’t do wonderful, I did horrible, I couldn't make it twenty feet before it hurt too much." Tears roll down her cheeks onto Irony's shoulder, "You should have let me die."

Irony strides into the house with a purpose, she sets Dust on the couch, then she cups the pegasus' cheeks with both hands, looking into her eyes, "Lightning Dust, don't you ever fucking say that to me again. You are weak now. But you will get stronger. And you will be back, better than ever. I know you are in pain, you have gone through something that would kill most ponies, and you are still here. Do you really want to die, after everything you've gone through?"

Dust sobs for a long moment, then finally shakes her head.

Irony moves forward and hugs her marefriend, "I won't let you, Dust. We all want you to heal. But the pony that needs to want the healing the most, is you, love. Will you keep working, for me?"

After a long moment, Dust finally nods.

***1st person, Lightning Dust***

I'm woken to a kiss. It's been three weeks since they got me back. The kiss is very nice. I'm not even sure who is kissing me. Then I feel her tongue tip flex at the end. I smile as the kiss is broken, "Morning Moon Shadow."

She giggles, "Morning love. How are you feeling?"

"Better, thank you Love." I extend a wing, showing the new feathers slowly growing, still covered in a waxy coating, "I hate being ground bound. I never learned to handle stairs without wings. Going up is fine, but Irony has had to carry me down the stairs because I'm still weak." I look at the clock, it's almost six thirty. I bolt up, "Damn, going to be late if I don't hurry."

"Late for what, love?" Irony says lazily.

"Work." I say as I look around, "Now where is the new phone?"

Moon Shadow huffs, "Your phone? What would you need that for?"

I look at her, "Yes, my phone, and the new case for it. I can't be expected to work without it. I need it." I look over at the night stand, the charge cord is there, the phone isn't, "Come on Moon, I need my phone."

"Give me a kiss and I'll give it to you." She giggles.

I sigh and kiss her, I feel my wings extend as the kiss progresses. Before I get too far, my body flashes cold and I pull away. No, not time for that, "Please Moon?"

She sighs and her horn lights, Irony jumps as though she was goosed and my phone, in its case, floats to me, from under Irony. She give me a grin, I lean over and give Irony a kiss as well. Might as well share the love with them both. I finally pull away and struggle to get the case on, to be helped by Moon's magic. My muscles are still weak after my ordeal. But I need to get back into shape anyway. I shoot a grateful smile at Moon as I hop off the bed. A quick trot and I'm at the stairs. I look at the long stairway, then look at the living room the stairway overlooks. I remember my first day as a pony in this world, I just took a running jump and glided down. Now I can't glide. I take one step, then two. My feet don't tangle on me, and finally I'm on the first floor. I smile in triumph as I head to the garage. Then I look at my work truck. Damn these hooves. I trot back inside.

"Anypony want to give me a lift to work?"

***

"Dust, welcome back!" I hear Pat say as I slide in less than ten minutes before seven. Then my crew does something that brings me to tears, they all break into applause. I sit down and look at them clapping. After a minute it dies down.

"Well, I was planning on being here earlier, but I was delayed at home. But as you know, I'm back now. Lightning Electric will keep going. I trust nothing important burned down while I was away?"

That gets a few laughs, one of my journeymen comes up, "Dust. Some of the ponies told us what went on. Were you really tortured?"

I nod, "Yes. But I'm not going to go into the details on that. Let's just act as though I was on a really shitty vacation. And am really happy to be home. And let's leave it at that, okay?"

I get nods from all around, "No morning meeting this morning. Just go and stay safe. I'm going to see if my office is where I left it."

I trot into my office and hop into my chair. Curse these damned useless wings. I almost lose my balance as I turn around in the chair.

"Pat!" I holler.

She comes in with a stack of paperwork for me, "Yeah, Dust?"

"We need pony friendly chairs."

She chuckles and sets the stack down in front of me, "I'll get right on it boss lady."

***

A few hours later I get an email I was looking forward to. I pull out my phone and call the number on the email. In minutes I'm off the phone and am heading outside. A few minutes of waiting and I see a truck turn onto the road to my shop, it's got a toy hauler trailer on it. I smile at that. The driver pulls next to the building then backs the trailer up to the front of the building. The heavyset driver then hops out of his truck and opens the toy hauler. Two latches and the door slams down, revealing what I've waited five days for. He crawls inside and backs it out and parks it. Once done he looks around.

I clear my throat and he looks down, "Holy shit!" He screams as he jumps back.

I smile at him, "I take it you haven't met a talking pony before?"

He shakes his head slowly.

"I would like to take delivery now." I walk slowly around my new prize. After a few minutes of inspection, I see Pat come out with a thick envelope. I walk up to the truck driver, a big smile on my face, "It looks great. Pat, would you pay the man?"

She hands over the envelope which he takes, but he keeps an eye on me all the way to his trailer, he fiddles with the door for a moment before closing it, his eyes always on me. Finally he gets in the truck and drives off. Pat moves my prize into my bay in the shop and closes the door. I give her a smile as she goes inside.

Ten minutes later, one of my company trucks turns down the road. I know who's driving this one. As Irony exits the truck, she relaxes onto four hooves and comes up for a hug.

"Irony, Moon Shadow told me what happened when you were able to find me. You sacrificed your beautiful car to stop the truck, so you could save me."

She interrupts me, "Dust, I did what I had to do. The car was nothing compared to losing one that I love."

I smile at her, "I know that, I know that better than you would ever know. But the thing is, you are now relegated to either using one of the chariots, which means you have to get some pegasi to pull it, or you have to use one of the vehicles at the farm."

"And you gave me your personal pickup since you can't drive it."

"But it's not your classic car, it's a… what was the term you used? Oh yeah, diesel monstrosity."

She blushes faintly at my words, but I continue, "Well, you need your car back, and I couldn't find another 1970 Oldsmobile 442. But I did find something. It used to be my dad's. It's been mothballed for a few years, but I got him to give it to me, and I'm giving it to you."

Her ears fall, tears spring into her eyes, I turn and gesture to the bay door, and Rose, who had been watching through the small windows in the door, pushes the button to open the door. Revealing my prize. A 1971 Ford Mustang Mach One. It's Richard Petty blue, with a silver racing stripe. The sun hits it as the door finishes opening. Irony slowly stumbles to the car, tracing a hand down its factory paint job. She opens the door, looking inside. She closes the door and looks at me. Tears are racing down her cheeks.

I smile at her, "It's pretty much stock. My dad always had plans to do work on it, but never found the time or the money. But we have both here. So, this is your project. I want to hear that engine growl like a hungry beast when you are done. The frame is perfect, the body is cherry. The interior… could use some work. But the engine needs work also to make it the monster your old car was. Don't worry about the money for it. I've included a generous budget for the work you'll want to do on it. But it does run, and it's fast already. But I want you to make this car yours."

"Dust, I can't accept it. It's too much."

I smile at her, "Irony, all this is…" I gesture to the car, "is just another way to let you know how I feel about you. You sacrificed something you put your heart and soul into to save me." I walk around the car to Irony, I rear onto my rear hooves, placing my forehooves on her chest, "And Moon Shadow told me you didn't think twice about it at the time. The nearly lost pegasus in that truck was your only concern. In fact, you told her it was metal and plastic and could be replaced, Dust can't." I smile at her and nuzzle her, "Well, you don't have to replace me, I'm still here. But I am going to replace the car."

Her arms wrap around me in a hug. I get a sense of exactly how strong this mare is as she hugs me. I accept the lack of air, her arms around me make everything feel right.

***

"Merry Christmas Lightning Dust." I hear as I crawl slowly down the stairs. I smile at my family. Helen and I went all out, as we usually do when it comes to Christmas decorating and presents. Though having Moon Shadow helping with the decorations was very nice. I get a good look at my family. Helen, Hannah, Dylan. And we've got Irony, Moon Shadow are here as well. Trixie, Mindy and Flash will be showing up later today. They usually spend more time at the farm than here. They are part of the extended family.

I heave myself onto the couch and accept a floating cup of eggnog. I take a sip and smile, it's been doctored the way I like it. Apparently Helen and Moon have been talking. Just a hint of rum. I take another sip and sigh contentedly. I lean back as the kids take the time to distribute the presents to the family. I see that my online shopping forays over the last few weeks have paid off. I've taken the delivery at the post office, so nopony knows that I was a busy little pegasus. I look over at Helen and smile at the look of surprise on her face, and on everyone's faces. Dylan gets a brand new smart phone, I saw him eyeing the advertisements over the last month or so. Hannah was a challenge, but the gold chain bracelet really works for her.

Helen, what the hell does a displaced pegasus give to the woman he once called the love of his life, and meant it. And in fact still means it. The gold necklace with the emerald setting seemed pretty nice. And judging by the tears and the enthusiastic hug and kiss I got, she liked it as well. Irony was a challenge as well. I sit and watch Irony unwrap the present, and when she gets it unwrapped. She looks at it in confusion, it's a wooden box, simply but very well put together. It has the engraving of a feather on it. She opens it up and bursts into tears.

"Dust, this, the car, I mean, this is too much."

I shake my head, "It's simple, but it means a lot to me. And I hope it means something to you as well, love."

Irony pulls out a turquoise feather and looks at it, I continue, "When I was first back, Cloud Kicker brought me a box full of the feathers that were yanked from me. She explained some of it, but I knew some other parts already. That right there, those feathers, they are parts of me, I made that box myself. I actually made the box before I changed, but I engraved the feather onto it last week. Whenever I lose a feather, I want you to have it. I only have one desire when it comes to that box. When I die, burn it and the feathers inside. Though I would be honored if you keep a feather for your memories."

"Oh Dust," she murmurs as she sits there looking at the feathers. "When you were found, I took the feather out, because I didn't want to presume. I know I love you, and I know how you feel about me. You told me after the fight with Discord. You love us all. But I didn't know what you would think, because that feather is nearly the same as me declaring we are in a herd, and to be honest, that you would be our lead mare."

That gets cold chills down my back, I suppress my fears, "Irony you are saying you took the feather out because you didn't want to presume something that wasn't there?"

She nods.

I extend a wing, it's not nearly as painful as it was, and I touch one of the feathers in the box, "Irony. I want you to wear it. You and I both know how important we are to each other. And I don't think it would be presumptuous for you to wear a feather." I caress her cheek with my newly growing feathers, "You, and Moon Shadow, are important to me. That important." I indicate the feathers, "You moved heaven and earth to get me back. I'm sorry that my fears, my insecurities, prevent us from taking that step. But the emotions, how I feel about you, are the same as any loving herd mate."

Irony takes the feather and slowly braids it in her hair, "Thank you Dust."

I turn to Moon Shadow, "You were the hardest to buy for. You don't want much. You've got your loves, you've got your magic, you are still being taught by Princess Luna. So, go ahead and open it."

Moon Shadow strips the paper with her magic, then she slowly opens the box. I see tears in her eyes as she spies what's inside. She pulls out the small carving. It's a single piece of wood, with a detailed carving of myself, Irony, and her.

"I couldn't think of anything to buy you, Moon. So I carved this. And I enlisted Hannah to help paint it. She was happy to help for all the training in magic you have been giving her."

The suspends the small carving in her magic, tears in her eyes, "I'm touched, Dust. This is amazing."

I smile at her.

The rest of the presents are portioned out. I get a single earring, with a sapphire in it. I look at it in confusion.

"An earring? Moon, I don't wear jewelry."

She chuckles, "Dust, you should know by now it's going to be enchanted. It's got a couple of purposes, I used dream magic, you put it in, and when you touch it with a hoof and concentrate, you can tell where anypony else wearing one is. And when you concentrate on them, you can see them in your head. It's a way for us all to know how each of us are doing. I made one for you, me, Irony, Helen, and Hannah. I made a ring for Dylan to wear. We will all know where everyone else is."

I look at the small stone in its setting, "My ears aren't even pierced. My dad told me if I ever came home with an earring, he would yank it right out."

Irony barks a laugh, "My dad said something similar, but remember, Dust. We are female now."

Don't I know it. I shift my hind legs, that part of me is still very tender and painful from my abuse. Even months later, I can't walk without being reminded of what was done. Dr. Ray says it's healing well, but with the pelvic bone damage and the soft tissue damage from the foreign objects used on me, it will be a long time recovering. I nod my head, "But where do I go to get my ear pierced?"

Moon Shadow laughs at that, "Hold still, love."

The small earring floats up, and I feel the gentle touch of her magic, I don't even feel pain as it's pushed through right near the base, and a soft tingle of the area around it has healed the very minor injury, I now have a pierced ear. She repeats with Irony while Hannah and Helen both put matching sets of earrings in. Dylan looks at the heavy mans ring. He slips it on and smiles. Moon Shadow continues, "Dylan, your ring will always be sized to you. It's a simple spell really, you can grow, and the ring will always be perfectly sized for you." This gets another smile, and the now sixteen year old young man gets up and gives the unicorn a hug.

Finally, it's time for Irony's presents. I smile at the huge box that the kids had to cooperate to move, I put a hoof on it, and look around expectantly. I'll wait until last to open this, I look at Hannah and Dylan expectantly, their long, narrow presents are quickly opened, both gasp upon opening their boxes, "Irony. This is amazing!" Hannah says, pulling out the sheathed dagger, the leather sheath had the same mark on her hand imprinted upon it. She unsheathes the dagger, on the hilt is engraved the same star, but with my cutie mark overlaying it.

I look at Irony and she shrugs, "She is your daughter, I thought it works." She tests the blade gently and smiles. Dylan's has a pair of wings overlaid with my cutie mark. He grins at the gift.

Helen and Moon Shadow open their gifts, both get hair combs, for putting their hair up, and both have all of our cutie marks emblazoned on them. Both are grinning like crazy at their new gifts. Finally it's time for me to open this massive box. I eagerly rip the paper and open the box, then I stop. I look at Irony, "Damn." I pull out the lacquered steel helm and put it on, then I pull out the padded leather protection, and then I click my hooves into the hoof guards, the two for the forehooves shaped to be helpful when striking, but to act as shields as well. The armor doesn't impede my movement, or my wings. I move over to Irony and nuzzle her, "Thank you so much, love." And I get a nuzzle back.

***

Just after dinner I'm outside, looking at the setting sun. The lake is frozen over, so I trot out onto the snow covered ice. The pegasi have made the most picturesque day for today. The snow is lightly falling, enough to be beautiful without providing more than the needed cover. Allowing for roads to be easily scraped. I flap my wings ineffectually. I still can't get off the ground. Moon Shadow and Dr. Ray say I need a couple more months for my feathers to fully grow in. I inspect the trailing edge of a wing, the primaries are still like pin feathers, they are long, but the keratin protecting the feathers is still present. I've been learning from some of the other pegasi the methods on how our feathers grow. I want them to be ready now, but rushing such large feathers would be a mistake. The softer, down like feathers have grown in, so that's not the issue, at issue is the primaries, which by their very nature are very hardy and actually magically protected, that simply means that it takes longer for them to grow when lost. Cloud Kicker told me that some pegasi have actually died from the loss of their feathers in a traumatic way like this.

She also tells me that the fact I survived that torture shows exactly how strong I am. I sigh, and let the tears flow silently. I don't feel strong, at all. I feel like an invalid. I feel as though I've lost myself. I look up at the low cloud cover. Damn, what I wouldn't do to actually be up there again. I sigh and just cry silently.

A hand is placed on my withers, I jerk in surprise. I didn't hear any one come up. I look at the human face. The face of the woman I've loved for a long time, she kneels down and opens her arms, allowing me to fall into them for a hug. She pats my back and lets me cry.

"Oh Dust. You are so proud, and being like this is horrible for you."

I simply nod.

"What are we going to do with all of this?"

I pull back so she can see the confusion on my face, she touches the tip of my nose, "Irony, Moon Shadow, You, me, the kids. Are we going to do anything formal with all of this? I know how much you love them, and I can still tell how much you love me. What are you going to do honey?"

"Well, in Equestria, this would be a situation for a herd."

"And you would be, what… the lead mare of such a herd?"

I nod, "Yeah, they kind of look up to me, having a formal lead mare is kind of old fashioned, but my birth herd was pretty small, two stallions and six mares. My birth mother was lead mare for our herd. I don't think Irony or Moon have any interest in being a lead mare. And to tell the truth, I don't either."

"Do you want to form a herd with them?"

I look at her, and at the house, then down.

She chuckles and runs a finger down an ear, "And what are you going to do with your human family if you form a pony herd?"

"That's simple, Helen. You would join us. I know of griffons joining herds, what would be wrong with humans?"

"You think Irony and Moon Shadow would accept a human female in the herd with you? And two human children?"

I scoff, "The fact that you are human would be the last thing on their minds. They love you as much as I do."

She stops and looks thoughtful for a moment, "You are right. So I think I'm going to have to do to you what I did with you right before we got married."

I look at her, confused, she chuckles, "You do remember, I had to break through your fear to get you to propose to me. I had to make you understand that your reticence was hurting me. Just like your fear is hurting both Irony and Moon Shadow. They want you to take the next step, and while their words say they understand, their hearts don’t."

"But, I can't do that Helen." I look down, "I'm damaged. I know they love me, but I'm useless the way I am."

That gets a hand to cup my muzzle, forcing my head to face hers, "If I asked Irony or Moon Shadow to describe you, the word, useless wouldn't even be in their heads."

I smile at her, "You are so nice, Helen. But a pegasus who can't fly…" I look down again.

"Is still the pegasus they love. The pegasus that I love too."

I look up at her, "Even after all that's happened, you still love me?"

She nods, "Yes, I do. I still want you in my life, and I know those ponies really want you in theirs. I'm not saying you need to propose to them, but you should form a herd with them, with us."

"You are willing to break with human traditions like that, you want to embrace the pony traditions?"

She chuckles, "I'm already married to a pony."

I pull her into a hug, and a long kiss, "So long as you can handle me being female." I say after I break from the kiss.

She runs her finger down my ear, "I can manage."

PreviousChapters Next