• Published 25th Jun 2014
  • 2,661 Views, 93 Comments

Cutie Mark Cleansers - Duke of Canterlot



Apple Bloom thinks she knows the way to finally get her cutie mark - kill the undesirables.

  • ...
16
 93
 2,661

Snips

All was going according to plan for Apple Bloom. She still didn't have her cutie mark, but that was because she still needed to finish her mission.. hell, it wouldn't even matter to Apple Bloom if she didn't get her cutie mark when all of this was over. She was making the world a better place, this was something in which she had the utmost confidence.

Her family seemed to view the recent "missing ponies and pets" a little differently though...

She heard the talk during breakfast on Sunday morning.

"Ah suspect that there's some criminal around town", said Applejack, "Snails, Fluttershy's bunny, and Rarity's cat all goin' missing.. this ain't a coincidence."

"Eeyup", agreed Big Mac.

"And shouldn't we all be worried", added Applejack, "there could be a cold-blooded killer right here in Ponyville. None of us are safe."

Apple Bloom thought to herself, y'all are perfectly safe with me around.

"Have any of those poor folks been found yet", asked Apple Bloom.

"Not from what I heard", responded Big Mac.

"I reckon that killer is a coward", said Granny Smith, "goin' after the weak and helpless. We gotta protect any pony that might be in danger."

A coward? Apple Bloom was no coward.

"We don't even know if there's a killer around", said Big Mac, "have we heard of any dead bodies being found?"

They all shook their heads.

"But, Mac", said Applejack, "where the hell could they have gone?"

"I... already told you guys about what happened to Opal", said Apple Bloom.

"We heard that, but do we know what happened to Opal after she ran away?"

Apple Bloom shook her head.

"Exactly", said Applejack, "you should be careful. Who knows what this thing is capable of? If you need somepony to watch over you, ah'll do it."

"I'm a big filly", argued Apple Bloom, "ah don't need any extra care."

"Yea", snarled Big Mac, "she's a big filly and can take care of herself."

Applejack sighed and said, "Ah just want you to be safe."

"I know, sis", responded Apple Bloom, "but I'm strong and smart. I can fight some silly killer pony."

"Ah hope your confidence doesn't become your downfall", said Applejack, "please be careful."

"I will, sis", cheered Apple Bloom, "don't worry about me!"

"Those scratches on your face", said Applejack with concern.

"That was from Opal, one of the "weak and helpless"."

"Ah better go meet up with Rarity. She's in real bad shape... ya know from losing her cat, but I think something else is bugging her too..."

Apple Bloom's thoughts were racing... did Sweetie Belle.... oh, she hoped not.

"I should probably see if Sweetie Belle is okay too", said Apple Bloom, "ah know that cat was cruel to Sweetie Belle.. but she adored the little furball all the same."

"Opal was mean to almost all of us.. even Rarity. Only pony who could per her was Fluttershy."

"Is mean to all of us", reminded Apple Bloom, "she may not be dead."

"But I guess two of us should be working on the farm", said Applejack, "maybe I'll stay here."

"Not a problem", said Big Mac with a shrug, "ah will be able to handle all of the farm work by myself today. It isn't that much."

Apple Bloom left her home to meet up with Sweetie Belle. She hoped that her friend didn't squeal to Rarity. Rarity was clever and a good reader of ponies. She may have been able to root out everything from Sweetie Belle. But that probably wouldn't have happened... she and Scootaloo would have been in hoofcuffs by now. Rarity would have protected her sister, but probably would have no qualm about letting her sister's friends be punished for their crimes. Apple Bloom was still nervous. Thinking about the worst possible outcomes can do that to the pony, but Apple Bloom, as always, was prepared.


Yesterday, the Cutie Mark Crusaders reported a missing cat to the police.
There were signs all over Ponyville with Opal's snotty-looking picture on it...

"MISSING CAT : Please return to Carousel Boutique. Will pay generous amount."

Apple Bloom chuckled to herself. Would Rarity pay Apple Bloom a generous amount for returning a cat whose insides were ruptured by a giant rock? Maybe she should go down the gorge and retrieve Opal. Of course, that wouldn't happen.. Rarity would start crying and suspect Apple Bloom of foul play.

She saw Sweetie Belle was heading in the opposite direction.

"Belle", shouted Apple Bloom.

"Oh, Apple Bloom", said Sweetie Belle, "Rarity feels so awful, but it isn't because of Opal going missing."

"Huh?"

"In fact, Rarity is mad at Opal for scratching me so badly. I might have to get stitches, Rarity said."

"That's awful. Good riddance to Opal then, huh."

"Remember, I told you how Rarity was going to Canterlot to audition her dresses for the Royal Collection?"

"Yep."

"Well.. her dresses didn't make it."

"Oh no, how come?"

"Rarity mentioned something about two of the judges being biased against contestants from Ponyville... obviously, the dresses were beautiful, but they only accepted collection items from ponies born and raised in Canterlot."

"That seems kind of fair", said Apple Bloom, "it is the Canterlot Royal Collection."

"Yea, but why have Rarity show up in the first place", argued Sweetie Belle, "they could have said only Canterlot-bred ponies allowed or something like that."

"Sorry to hear about the news."

"Thank you. What two of the judges had to say to Rarity was most distasteful and discouraging, they called her a "Ponyville hick who could never amount to anything worthy of prestige"."

Sounds like some ponies who didn't deserve to live, thought Apple Bloom.

"Who were these judges?"

"I don't know if I have their names right... but Rarity mentioned something about Jet Set and Upper Crust."

Jet Set and Upper Crust? Oh yes... she remembered the one time they visited Ponyville. The two of them were wealthy Canterlot unicorns and stopped by Sweet Apple Acres, making condescending comments about the "poor" conditions of the farm.. fucking bullshit. Those two weren't on her list before, but they would be meeting their doom so enough.

"Hmmm", said Apple Bloom, "maybe we should make a visit to Canterlot soon."

"What!?!? Don't tell me you're thinking of...."

"It seems like Jet Set and Upper Crust have proven that the world will be a better place without them from what you said."

Apple Bloom had to admit that the fancy shmancy dress competition had nothing to do it.. rather, it was their attitude towards Sweet Apple Acres, but if she was going to get Sweetie Belle on board - she had to make it look like it was vengeance for what they did to Rarity. Hell, Rarity's dresses may have just not been good enough and that wasn't a 'crime' Apple Bloom was willing to punish a pony.

Suddenly, they heard a voice which sounded like it was coming from a loudspeaker, "Every pony, I have some unfortunate news to report!!"

Twilight Sparkle.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle joined the crowd over by Town Hall.

Twilight Sparkle, Spike, Rainbow Dash, and Caramel were at the podium.
"As most of you know, the four of us have been assigned to a search team by the Mayor to find Snails, who had gone missing three days ago. Unfortunately, we have good reason to believe that he is dead", said Twilight Sparkle, "we found some hairs in the swamp of Froggy Bog Pond and from DNA analysis, we have determined that they are of Snails. No body was found. It is most likely that Snails was devoured by a monster at Froggy Bog Pond and his body is unretrievable. This seems like an unfortunate accident, but we are still looking into exactly what happened."

"We are sorry to have to report this to you", said Rainbow Dash, "but we searched long and hard for Snails and this seems to be what most likely happened."

Ponies in the audience looked sad. But only one began to bawl, Snips.

"S-s-s-s-nails", cried Snips, "oh noooooooo...... why????" Snips ran out of the crowd.

"Hopefully, this stops happening", said Twilight to the crowd, "as many of you have heard, Angel, a bunny, and Opal, a cat, have also gone missing. This unfortunately suggests that Snails' death might not have been an accident, but nothing has been concluded in that regard. Thank you for your time and stay safe."

Scootaloo had joined Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle.

"So they found, Snails, huh", said Scootaloo.

"They found his hairs. Ah bet he got eaten by the hydra in Froggy Bog Pond. His body is nowhere to be found."

"What about Angel Bunny?"

"What about him?"

"They'll find his body and..."

"In the Everfree Forest? Oh, please", laughed Apple Bloom, "there's probably less of him than there was of Snails."

As for Opal, the CMC had an alibi, if suspicion was drawn on them.

"Girls", said Apple Bloom, "I have to get going. Ah have something to take care of."

"If it's for what I'm thinking it is, we can join you", said Scootaloo.

"Sorry", said Apple Bloom, "this plan I have works best with only me being involved.. but let's say that Snips won't have to mourn his dead friend for too long."

Apple Bloom ran off. She sighed with relief from seeing that neither of her friends tried to stop her.


Apple Bloom noticed that Snips ran away from the crowd in the southwest direction. Based on that, it was likely he was heading to Froggy Bog Pond and not his house (which was in the opposite direction).. oh, if he was, it would actually not be hard at all.. especially with how Apple Bloom suspected she could get rid of Snips.

Apple Bloom simply hoped that no pony was watching her from above.. such as Rainbow Dash... oh, she would have to turn back.

Apple Bloom turned back to her friends and said, "Scootaloo, try to distract Rainbow Dash and make sure she doesn't fly to Froggy Bog Pond."

"Not hard to do at all, I cherish every moment I can spend with Rainbow", said Scootaloo with a smile.

"Good."

Apple Bloom saw that Rainbow was still up at the podium, taking questions from concerned ponies, that might even prove to be enough.


She remembered seeing some rope by a tree near the pond... yes, it was still there! Perfect.

Apple Bloom grabbed the rope and continued her trip to Froggy Bog Pond.

Apple Bloom arrived and heard annoying cries, cries that sounded like they came from Snips, a dumb colt who was amazingly even more annoying than Snails. Beautiful.. this would be the end for one pony today.

"Ah'm sorry about what happened to Snails", said Apple Bloom softly.

"I.. I.... oh... I....", stuttered the distraught Snips.

"Makes you kind of feel like life isn't worth living, huh?"

"It does", responded Snips, "Snails was my best friend. We were always there for one another.. life will never be the same."

"So, you don't have to let life be the same", said Apple Bloom, "go ahead and kill yourself. Who knows? You might even see Snails in heaven."

"You're right, Apple Bloom", responded Snips, "geez, why are you always so smart?"

"Ah was born that way, destined for great things."

"Well.. I guess I don't really have a desire to live anymore."

"That's right, you don't", said Apple Bloom with confidence, "ah see some rope over there. You know what to do, right?"

"I...I... may be stupid... but I know how to hang a noose from a tree... it should have been my special talent. Why haven't you gotten your cutie mark yet?"

"Ah guess ah might be a tad more worthless than you", responded Apple Bloom with a sigh.

"You're crazy", said Snips, "you know that... like when Snails came here to meet you and... oh my gosh... I... I... holy smokes! It was you, wasn't it?"

"You're the one that's crazy", responded Apple Bloom, "how could a little filly like me hurt a strong colt like Snails?"

"I...I... don't know... you're right, it was probably an accident... b-b--b-ut poor Snails... you may have not known, but he had a crush on you."

Apple Bloom seriously didn't know that. She was happy that she stopped any prospects of that romance from happening. Death to herself was preferable over doing anything romantic with Snails.

"Oh no, that makes me feel extra sad now. Snails was a good colt."

"He was", Snips sighed, "I'm going to miss him. Well.. I know what I'm gonna do now."

Snips found a tree which conveniently had an abandoned ladder leaning on it.
Snips levitated the rope onto the tree and tied up a noose.
Maybe Snips wasn't entirely worthless, his magical abilities weren't bad for a unicorn his age... but he was probably held back a couple years for being so dumb, so he might have been older.

Snips climbed up the ladder and put his head around the noose.

"Do it, tell Snails I say hi", cheered Apple Bloom.

Snips kicked the ladder under his feet and he dropped enough that his neck broke. Snips was most certainly dead.

Apple Bloom smiled. This was perfect. Snips committed suicide. Apple Bloom was simply there to make sure the suicide occurred.
She skipped off and looked around, feeling confident that there were no witnesses or surveillance of her deed.
They would find him soon enough and that was okay. It would look like a suicide since it was technically a suicide.

What next? Perhaps, they would go to Canterlot. Apple Bloom figured that there were some snobs in Canterlot who deserved to be punished.