• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 10,754 Views, 471 Comments

Lost Tales from the Silmareillion: Morgoth in Equestria - Imperius



The Dark Lord is defeated and given a chance at redemption by Ilúvatar

  • ...
23
 471
 10,754

Tears Unnumbered

Morgoth frowned. “T’is strange they would say that, as I know not any by the names of West Wind or Star... bright...” Morgoth trailed off as he spoke.

A pegasus with an eagle feather mark named West Wind and a unicorn with a star mark named Starbright. As he said the names aloud the pieces all clicked into place and Morgoth was left stunned. He felt faintly foolish for not making the connection immediately, but he had counted the possibility of this meeting so low that he had fallen into believing it would never happen. Rainbow just looked on as the wheels turned in his head and he tried to process the correct emotion for this situation. It didn’t take him long to settle on seething rage.

Slowly Morgoth’s lips drew back in a furious snarl, his jaw clenching painfully tightly in his anger. Rainbow’s eyes widened in concern, but before she could say anything he hissed a single word.

“Manwë.”

“Your brother?” Rainbow asked, confused. “What’s he got to do with this?”

“That,” Morgoth spat, “was my thrice damned brother and his wife, Varda.”

“Woah, really? Wow, that’s really nice of him coming all the way from Arda to check up on you.” Rainbow remarked.

Morgoth didn’t hear her, he was too busy tearing the various tubes from his forelegs to notice.


Rainbow followed Morgoth as he stormed furiously through Ponyville doing her best to placate the furious god. “Shady, I’m telling you, you shouldn’t be out of bed! You need to go back to the hospital right now!”

Morgoth hardly paid her any heed. “That wretch dares show his face?!” he all but roared to his audience of one, not particularly caring if she listened or not. “He will regret coming here! There exists no word in all the languages of Men, Elves, or Ainur that might properly befit the terror I shall visit upon him! The woes he shall suffer at my hand shall make those suffered by the house of Hador seem to be mere child’s play!”

“Dude, I know you don’t like your brother, but you really can’t let it get in the way of your health!” Rainbow fussed. “You’re hurt, talk to him another time, please! He said he was going to Canterlot for a while after he visited you so you don’t have to worry about missing him.”

Morgoth heard only the word “Canterlot.” He then about faced and made for Twilight’s library as fast as his injured body could take him.

“Shady!” Rainbow yelled after him.

“Thou shalt not deter me from mine chosen path.” Morgoth told her. “My bastard brother dared to gloat over my weakness and I shall ruin him for it!”

Rainbow, having finally had enough, flew right in front of Morgoth and grabbed him by the shoulders, forcing him to stop. “Shady, I get that you’re mad, but what’s so bad about your brother visiting you in the hospital? It seems like a normal thing for family to do.”

Morgoth had to fight down the urge to keep from striking her, but managed to barely rein in his temper. “Thou dost not know everything that happened between he and I, nor the circumstances under which we parted ways. Do not presume to say what is right for brothers such as us. We parted company under circumstances beyond salvaging.”

“Well then tell me! What did he do?” Rainbow demanded.

Morgoth fixed her in his gaze. “When I left Arda, I did not do so by my own desire. I was banished. And it was my brother to whom I owe my hatred for that. Dost thou understand now? I am banished from my home, never to lay eyes upon it or the only one whom I could have ever called friend again, and the very one who carried out my banishment now has the gall to come here where I am forced now to dwell against my will!”

Rainbow’s eyes widened at the declaration. “You were banished? Why? What did you do?”

Morgoth shouldered his way past her, shoving her out of his way. “I did what dear little Luna could not.”


Manwë Súlimo and Varda Elentári, in the guises of common ponies, strode through the brilliant marble halls of Canterlot Palace on their way to meet a very old friend, the final rays of the sun playing over them through great windows.

“You have been smiling like the sun since our departure from Ponyville.” Varda observed.

“He called me friend.” was all the King of the West said, his voice carrying an almost childlike joy. “And there was no deception in his voice as I heard it.”

“I do not mean to spoil your happiness, but he did not know us.” Varda said, mild concern seeping into her voice. “I do not think he would have been so friendly if he had known our faces.”

“It was still good to hear it,” Manwë sighed. “I have not heard my brother’s voice in many ages of the world, and to hear it speak such a word does my heart good. I think after this last banishment to the Void he has perhaps softened and it gives me hope that there may yet be the possibility of redemption in him.”

The unicorn by his side sighed. “I fear you may be getting ahead of yourself, looking too far down the path. Simply because he says a word, as foreign as it is from his mouth, is not yet cause for celebration.”

“But what is cause for hope is his rescue of that girl. He saved her at a terrible cost to himself. That evil lord from so long ago would never have done such a thing if his success was not a guaranteed thing. I really think there is hope this time.”

“And I agree, but I just don’t want you to build your hopes up too high. You know well what happened the last time.”

Manwë sighed. “I do, and I was so eager to believe he really had changed. I am now as well, but the circumstances are different here. I think Celestia really can do this.”

Varda cast a sympathetic sidelong glance at her husband and smiled for his sake. “I do too.”

“What are you doing here.” rang out a stern voice, suddenly.

The pair of gods turned about to face whoever had spoken to them and smiled as they beheld the regal form of Princess Luna.

“Dear sister Luna!” Varda said beaming. “It is good to see you! Long were the ages I wished for your company again.”

Luna did not seem so happy to see them as they did her, a stern frown showing on her face. “You should not be here.” she said.

Manwë tilted his head to the side at the curious behavior of the Equestrian Vala. “Have I caused offense in some way, dear Luna?” the white pony asked.

Luna stepped forward, slowly closing the distance between them. “You shouldn’t be here.” she said again. “Melkor can’t know you’re here, it would ruin everything.”

“We have just come from seeing him in Ponyville’s hospital.” Manwë said. “We wanted to see with our own eyes how he was progressing here.”

Luna’s eyes widened in fear. “No!” she all but yelled. “You’ll ruin everything! You must leave immediately! He is not yet ready for this, the old hurts run too deeply in him!”

“Surely his anger has cooled some by now, he lingered in the Void for a great while before coming here.” Manwë said.

“That means nothing!” Luna insisted. “Banishing him will not extinguish the fires of his anger, only make them burn cooler and longer, only make his hatred hardier!”

“I do not think so.” Manwë said. “This banishment was more than twice as long as his first, it should have done him good.”

“For six hundred years has he lingered in the darkness between worlds? I was a thousand years upon the moon and still my anger burned as hotly when I returned as in the beginning, six hundred will do nothing for him!” Luna said.

Manwë and Varda shared a look before returning their gazes to Luna. “Three hundred for his first, and six hundred so far for the second, but I think perhaps your beliefs are mistaken. The calendar of Equestria resembles that of Arda as it is today, but you count his banishment in time akin to Years of the Trees, which is what his first banishment was counted in. A Year of the Trees is equal to ten Years of the Sun.” Manwë explained. “So you see he spent a far greater time banished than you thought, I think it is enough to do him good.”

Luna was rocked by what Manwë said. One of the years his banishment was counted by was worth ten? But then that would make her brother’s first banishment equal to three of her own upon the moon! And the second... that added up to six thousand years. Discord himself was still considered benevolent that long ago. All said Melkor had tallied nearly ten thousand years in banishment, it was no wonder he was so bitter.

“Please try to understand, little Luna,” Manwë said. “It broke my heart to do it, but it was necessary. And it seems to have affected him, I remember a time where his pride would have driven to to outright refuse the Allfather’s offer.”

“Brother, you know me, I am kin to Lórien and so share in his gifts, I have seen our brother’s dreams. He still yearns for darkness, he looks up at the sky and wishes only to tear the lights from it and dash them against the ground. He pines for the black pits of Angband and the iron peaks of Thangorodrim. His anger has cooled, yes, but those flames will be no easier to put out for it.

“He’s begun to change, yes, but it’s slow, small. Having no other choice but to listen, he’s been made to learn of the concepts that he’s shunned for so long. He’s begun to know of them, but they’ve barely begun to take hold, and I fear it will not be for many long ages that he may truly be redeemed. Truly I think he will never be able to go back to what he once was, never fixed, only made better than what he is now.”

Manwë became thoughtful at her words, turning them over in his head. It was no secret that the ways of evil were as foreign to him as those of good were to his wayward brother, and he admitted to himself that he would surely never be able know Melkor’s mind and that it was not wise to make assumptions. And of course Luna would have more experience with such, having walked down and then been saved from the same path as Melkor.

He let out a weary sigh. “I trust you, Luna. This is far beyond my knowledge, I do not know how an evil heart may be, nor how it may be saved. Perhaps I am being too optimistic, so short a time in this place will not have seen much change in him and I risk upsetting what has already been done. You’ve my sincerest apologies.” he finished solemnly.

Feeling the melancholy arising in him, Luna began to sympathize with him. She realized Manwë was even now going through exactly what Celestia did when she was banished to the moon. He was a soul of unparalleled kindness and could not understand why Melkor had become what he did, nor how he might fix it.

“I miss him, Luna.” he said finally, all pretense now gone. “The dark things that took hold of his heart were born of his isolation in the time before the world. I should have seen what was happening to him, I should have been there for him as a brother should be and walked with him. But I was not and now he has become this... Morgoth.” He practically spat the last word. “It is my fault he is this way, I should have known further isolation would do nothing for him. For all my wisdom I am still so naive.”

“Manwë...” Varda whispered, placing a comforting hoof on his shoulder.

Luna ached to see him as he was, it was an exact mirror of her own ordeal. “It may lift your heart to hear that he has begun to change, if even a little. He knows now of the virtues of friendship and what they are, and through it recognizes he had a friend back upon Arda. One whom was closer to his heart than any other. He named that one to be Mairon, if you know the name.”

Manwë’s eyes grew wide. “While normally you would be right, this should be a cause for joy, instead my heart sinks lower at your words. I know the name of Mairon well, but in recent years that being is known as Sauron, who has since taken up Melkor’s mantle as the Dark Lord and sought to conquer Middle-earth in his master’s name. It will grieve him greatly to know that Sauron lies dead at my decree a decade past.”

It was Luna’s turn to despair now. “Melkor must never know of this!” she said quickly. “He can never know the fate that befell the only one he would ever call friend. He has dreamed often of being reunited with him and it would only make him more resistant to the change we hope to bring upon him.”

“We will not stay long then.” Varda said. “We will have our audience with Celestia and then take our leave. We would not wish to upset anything.”

“While I would caution against staying any longer, I must admit that it’s good to see you again, it has been so very long. Come, Day Court is nearing its end and Celestia will be in the throne room. We shall meet with her and then perhaps we shall have the royal chefs prepare something for us.” she suggested, a smile in her voice.

Manwë smiled. “That sounds excellent, Luna. Let us not tarry then, surely your sister would not want us to delay in rescuing her from the tedium of her duties.”

Luna turned and cantered off down the hall, prompting the Valar to follow. “I think perhaps you should consider yourself lucky that you only have to deal with evil lords seeking to unmake your world, I would gladly take that over the workload of royalty. At least evil can be defeated.”


“Shady! Really, stop! You’re not fit to be doing this!” Rainbow yelled. Morgoth ignored her and simply flew faster.

The instant she’d revealed his brother’s destination he’d wasted no time seeking out Twilight and demanding she recast the wing spell upon him. She’d resisted the idea at first, and Rainbow’s protestation hadn’t helped, but he’d managed to guilt her into it, having claimed that this would likely be his last chance to ever confront his brother again. She caved fairly quickly, and now, rage fueling his limbs, Morgoth winged his way across the sky, having already cleared most of the distance to the city by the time the moon had risen.

Rainbow, though, refused to abandon her attempts to sway him. It mattered little to him though, he was beyond caring and Rainbow’s pleas fell on deaf ears. Only anger and thoughts of his hated brother filled his mind.

It was his fault. Everything was his fault. Manwë stole all the glory that rightfully belonged to him! That false king had no right to take Adra from him, it had been his! Who among them but the mightiest should rule? Who but the greatest had the right to rule? Manwë was a weak, naive fool who could not understand the true greatness of Morgoth’s song. And how had his greatness been rewarded? He had been cast from his own world, and then Manwë had the audacity to find him in his exile and gloat over him as he lay broken? Chain or not he would make the fool pay.

Canterlot steadily grew before him as his furious pace devoured the miles. Soon he was over the city and the castle was before him, and still Rainbow was at his heels seeking to stop him. He dropped to the ground before the gates of the palace, his landing far from graceful, and whirled about to face Rainbow as she alighted behind him.

“This is a bad idea, Shady. You really shouldn’t do this. Even if your dad really did love your brother more that’s no reason to take it out on him! He’s your brother, for crying out loud! He’s the only family you’ll ever have! What did he do that was so bad that it warrants you barging into the palace and taking it out on him?” Rainbow demanded.

“He took everything from me! Everything!” Morgoth bellowed. “He could not see the greatness in my works and instead deemed them all to be abominations! Always have I been shunned, always has it been Manwë who would receive praise for what he did! Am I so wrong to wish they would see things like I do? I was the greatest of us all! Why should I not be adored? Is it not within my right?”

The ferocity of his reply left Rainbow stunned and unable to think of anything to say. Seeing that no words would be forthcoming from her Morgoth continued his way into the palace, leaving Rainbow at the gates. She could only watch as he disappeared into the halls of the palace.

Caring little for what Rainbow did, Morgoth stormed through the dim halls of the palace, the throne room being his destination. He knew not where his brother would be, but surely one of the alicorns would.

“You come here in anger; I would advise that you leave and return when your temper has cooled.” a voice whispered beside him. “But I know you will not heed my advice.”

A glance revealed Midnight, the Night Guard who had guided Morgoth through the palace his first night there. “I’ve nothing to say to thee, keep thy serpent’s tongue between thy teeth.” Morgoth growled.

“I shall instruct the chamberlain to allow you entry to the throne room, then. As entertaining as it would be to see what you would do to him, it would be bothersome for me.” Midnight said. “I hope you find whatever you’ve come looking for.”

When Morgoth looked back to offer a remark he found the spot the pony had occupied vacant. Even as angry as he was he never ceased to be unsettled by that pony.

It wasn’t long before he came once more upon the gilded doors of the throne room, the same pony from his first visit standing at his podium before them. As Morgoth approached and prepared to demand the doors be opened, they swung open of their own accord the instant he came near.

Standing on the threshold were the very ones he had sought; Celestia, Luna, Manwë, and Varda all stood frozen where they were as they laid eyes upon him. For a moment he was pleased to see a flash of fear and uncertainty cross each of their faces as they beheld him. Celestia was the first to break the silence.

“Melkor... it is good to see you,” she began hesitantly. “Please come inside.” Wordlessly Morgoth complied, striding through the great doorway, the rest following hesitantly after him while the doors slid shut behind them.

Once inside the vacant throne room the two parties stopped to regard each other, each of the Valar weighing their words carefully in their minds. Morgoth was the one to break the silence.

“This reunion has been long in coming, brother. Here I thought thou wouldst have more to say.” he growled bitterly.

Manwë eyed his brother nervously. “Long has it been, yes. It is good to see you again broth-”

“Is it?” Morgoth interrupted him. “Is it good? My recollections of our last meeting say otherwise.”

Manwë winced and glanced around at the other Valar in the room. He shook his head in exasperation and sighed. “This is so strange, perhaps familiar faces will make this more comfortable.”

Manwë’s form began to glow and shift, Varda’s following suit shortly after. After a moment they stood tall and proud once more in the guises they were wont to wear upon Arda. With a soft word of spoken Valarin from Manwë, Melkor felt Angainor uncoil from his spirit, still binding his power, but freeing his form. Immediately his own form shifted growing ever taller and broader, but when he sought to walk as he had upon Arda the chain restricted his size, refusing him from growing any larger than the rest of them.

When at last the three were clothed in forms more familiar, Manwë turned to Celestia and Luna. “Will you not join us?” he asked.

Celestia shook her head. “These forms are as familiar and comfortable to us as yours are to you, we’ll stay as we are.”

“Of course. And you brother? I see you’ve the same love of grandeur as ever.” he said jokingly in an attempt to lighten the mood.

And it was no lie, Morgoth appeared as he ever did, dark and imposing. Clad in armor of black iron and a flowing black cloak he struck an awe inspiring figure.

“Dost thou think that simply appealing to my vanity shall earn thee some respect from me?” he asked venomously.

“Melkor-” he began.

“Speak not my name, thou hast not the right to say it!” Morgoth said harshly. “Ever to thee shall I be Morgoth.”

“Brother, I-”

“And how darest thou show thy face in this place! Dost thou thinketh to gloat over my infirmities here? Is it amusing to watch me brought so low? Art thou not satisfied with my defeat and so have come to torment me in my darkest hour for thy own amusement?”

“No! Melkor I would never-”

“Speak not thy falsehoods, I shall not be deceived! Ever in thy heart hast thou harbored contempt for me!”

“Melkor-”

“Thou and thy brethren were spiteful that there was yet another greater than thy most holy selves and thou couldst not abide by it!”

“Brother-”

“T’was naught but jealousy that guided thy hand against me!” the enraged god ranted.

This was exactly what they had all feared would happen. All present knew Morgoth could not act against them, his oath and Angainor would prevent it, but he could wound his brother in other ways.

“Melkor, I’m sorry!” Manwë yelled, his composure finally gone.

That caught Morgoth by surprise. Of all the things he had expected his brother to say, an apology was not one of them. However it served only to hurt Manwë’s cause.

“Sorry?” Morgoth echoed slowly. “The contempt of our father, a kingdom stolen, three ages spent in exile, an eternity adrift in the Void, and eternal banishment, and thou wouldst dare claim to be sorry?”

The other three could only stand idle and watch, this was an issue none of them would dare interfere with lest they only make it worse. Their forced inaction tore at them, it pained them to sit idly while the two brothers had their say.

“Yes!” Manwë finally yelled. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry I wasn’t there with you in the time before the world, I’m sorry I didn’t see what was happening to you sooner, I’m sorry I didn’t walk the halls of Ea with you and keep the darkness from your heart, I’m sorry I banished you instead of trying to help you! Melkor, nothing grieves me more than how I have wronged you, my failings as your brother are a greater wound than any other. I’m sorry, Melkor, I’m sorry for everything.”

Morgoth said nothing, just looked upon his brother, fallen so low, and felt only a mild joy to see Manwë brought to such a state.

“But I swear to you, Melkor, I will atone for how I have wronged you.” He placed his hands on Morgoth shoulders, a hopeful smile on his face. “I will do what I should have done in the first place; I will stay here with you and help you.”

“Manwë.” Varda said alarmed.

“I’ll help you through this trial, I’ll bring you back to the light as I should have done all those ages ago. I’ll stay with you and be the brother you deserve.” he said with finality.

“Manwë, you cannot, you are the king of Arda.” Varda said. “You are its guardian, you cannot leave it.”

“There are no evils that threaten the world anymore.” Manwë argued. “And I should doubt any will rise in the time I will be here. Celestia, Luna, have I your leave to do this?”

“I can find no objection with it.” Celestia said. “If it is your desire to stay then I won’t stop you, and I think I would rather enjoy having you here.”

“Then it is decided!” Manwë said. “I shall stay and do what I can to aid you in your trial, Melkor. I swear to you I will finally do right by you.”

Morgoth had not paid attention to a single word they’d said. The only thing he heard was that his brother had claimed there was no evil left upon Arda, which could only mean one thing. And that implication tore at his black heart.

“Mairon is dead.” it was not a question.

Each of the Valar froze as he said the words, which was all the confirmation he needed. He felt a rage such as he had never known begin to build within him. “Thou hast claimed that no darkness yet dwells upon Arda. For this to be true Mairon must be dead.”

He could see his brother thinking of a way out, a way to deny it. “Bother me not with lies, the truth is plain for all to see in thy face. Thou wouldst not abide by any yet loyal to me and have purged any remnant of my influence from Middle-earth. Mairon is dead.”

Manwë took a hesitant step back from his brother, casting a pleading look to Varda and the alicorns for aid.

“Thou hast slain the only one whom I might have called friend.” he said, his voice low and dangerous. “T’was not enough to take my kingdom, thou desired me broken and friendless!”

The ideals of friendship had taken root in Morgoth more than they had realized. Now that he knew what to think of his relationship with Mairon he had cherished it all the more, its value increasing a hundredfold to him. Were Mairon to have been slain before he knew to call him friend he might have only been grieved for the loss of a powerful servant, but now it was the very ideals they sought to instill in him that now worked against them. Knowing that he’d had a friend, the fallen Vala now felt the loss as keenly as if he’d had his heart cut out rather than as an inconvenience.

A bellow of rage born of grief left Morgoth and he lunged for his brother. Before he had made it two steps, though, Angainor tightened its grip upon him, becoming visible around him as it bound him. He faltered as his limbs were bound together by the chain and fell to his knees, raging against his binds with every ounce of his might.

Manwë stepped back fearfully at the sight of his brother. “Melkor, please, let me-”

“BE SILENT!” he roared furiously, Againor groaning as it struggled to contain the power of a god. “Be gone from my sight and never return! From now till the Unmaking and forever after shalt thou only know my hate! Let any thoughts of redemption leave you, for this crime against me shall my anger ever be thy companion! I curse thy name, Manwë Súlimo, False King of Arda! May it be that the weight of my disdain shall follow thee for the rest of thy living days and into the dark of the Void when all is broken! Be gone and go knowing that the one thou wouldst call brother holds only contempt for thee in his heart.”

“Melkor-” he was stopped as Varda put a hand on his shoulder.

“We should leave. We’ve caused enough trouble.” she said. Manwë looked back at his brother, horrified at what had happened.

“Brother, please!” he begged. “Do not do this! Please, let me help you!”

“Go, listen to Varda. You’ve done enough damage.” Luna said sternly. “It was unwise to come here.”

“Dost thou not hear the wisdom in their words?” Morgoth said. “ Speak not of a desire to help, it is no secret to me that thou hast only ever hated me, say not otherwise. Now leave and know my hatred goes with thou!”

His face a mask of pain, Manwë cast one last glance at his furious brother, still straining with all his might to break his bonds, then turned and left, Varda following close behind. They made for the exit feeling Morgoth’s burning gaze upon their backs as they went. As the two neared the great doors they found them already opening, revealing a blue pegasus standing at the threshold.

All in the room went silent as they saw Rainbow standing there, confusion written over her face, Morgoth’s own fury even seemed to cool in her presence. How much had she heard? What did she now know?

The pegasus took in the scene, the two Valar before her looking down at her in uncertainty and the ironclad form of Morgoth bound in chains on his knees by the two princesses.

“What the hay is going on here...?” she asked.