• Published 21st Jan 2015
  • 1,579 Views, 48 Comments

Swing When You're Vinyl - River Road



A cellist and a DJ walk into a bar. A karaoke bar.

  • ...
2
 48
 1,579

Track 3: My Shadow And Me

A new day, a new hat, same old bar, Fancypants thought, sipping his wine and watching the ponies around him. It was a slow Wednesday evening in the C Minor, not many ponies visiting the small bar aside from the regular patrons. It was just as well to him. The only thing bothering him just a little bit was the goal he had originally set out for. Apparently the two mares in question didn’t have some kind of weekly schedule for karaoke, as neither of them had shown up so far.

“Come on, Tavi, it’s tradition!”

“It is not, ‘tradition’. We’ve only been here once. We’ve met two weeks ago, we can’t have any traditions yet. And my name, is not, ‘Tavi’.”

“That’s tradition, too. You don’t wanna mess with traditions, Tavi.”

Fancypants smiled and turned around just in time to hear the grey mare give an exasperated groan, following her friend over to a table near the back. Vinyl slipped off her saddlebags and turned right around again to yell towards the pony behind the bar and signal two ciders. The young green stallion gave a short nod and Fancypants raised an eyebrow as a small blue parasprite poked its head/face/circular body out of the blonde mane for a second.

“Come on, let’s do some karaoke while we wait.” Vinyl had already began to prance towards the small stage, dragging her friend along.

Octavia’s eyes widened and she started to struggle. “What? Now wait a moment, Vinyl, I never said anything about singing. I’m a cellist, not a singer, for Celestia’s sake!”

“Tradition, Tavi, do I have to teach you everything? Yeesh…” Vinyl grinned and let go of her friend who, Fancypants noted with a smirk, followed her to the stage with just a light amount of grumbling.

“I know just the song for us. I’m sure I saw it somewhere in this list last time…” Vinyl had already jumped onto the stage, flipping through the available disks and reading through the song titles on each one.

“How you can remember just a single thing from that evening is beyond me…” Octavia muttered, slowly trotting up the steps. “Practice the next day was pure torture.”

“Oh hush. You just need to build up some resistance.” Vinyl gave a happy shout and pulled out one of the disks, expertly switching it for the one in the machine. “Got it! Hold on to your hat, Tavi, this one’s a doozy.”

“I’m not wearing a–“ Octavia trailed off and blinked as Vinyl summoned a familiar top hat onto her own head in a flash of magic. Another flash and pop and a second hat appeared to plop down over the cellist’s ears. Fancypants noticed a sudden breeze in the top part of his own mane.

“Vinyl…” Octavia gave her friend a dangerous glare, which went completely ignored by Vinyl as the unicorn shushed her, hoofed her a mic and started the song.


[Vinyl:] Why is it always Swing?
[Octavia:] It’s a swing album. You’re the one who picked it.
[Vinyl:] Ah well, I’m gonna beat you at any song.

[Octavia:] Like the wallpaper sticks to the wall
[Vinyl:] Like the seashore clings to the sea
[Octavia:] Like I'll never get rid of my shadow
[Vinyl:] You'll never get rid of me

[Both:] No matter how much we fight and fuss
[Both:] Whatever happens, we've got us

[Vinyl:] (Me and my shadow)
[Octavia:] We're closer than pages that stick in a book
[Octavia:] We're closer than ripples that flow in a brook
[Vinyl:] (Strolling down the avenue)
[Octavia:] Wherever you find her, you'll find me, just look
[Octavia:] Closer than an Apple to his farm or family

[Octavia:] Me and my shadow
[Vinyl:] We're closer than a pegasus to the sky and clouds
[Vinyl:] We're closer than Blueblood to his coming out
[Octavia:] (Closer than Vinyl to a slap on the snout)
[Vinyl:] Not a soul can bust this team in two
[Vinyl:] We stick together like glu- ow!

[Octavia:] And when it's sleeping time
[Vinyl:] That's when we rise
[Octavia:] We start to swing
[Vinyl:] Our clocks don't chime
[Octavia:] What a surprise
[Vinyl:] They ring-a-ding-ding!
[Vinyl:] Happy New Year!

[Octavia:] (Me and my shadow)
[Vinyl:] And now to repeat what I said at the start
[Vinyl:] They'll need a large crowbar to break us apart
[Both:] We're alone in grey and white

[Both:] Before we get finished, we'll make the town roar
[Both:] We'll hit a few late spots, and then a few more
[Both:] We'll wind at Neon’s and Donut Joe
[Vinyl:] Life is gonna be we-wow-whee!
[Octavia:] For my shadow and me!

[spoken]
[Vinyl:] Can we do that again?
[Octavia:] No, I'm too tired
[Vinyl:] C’mon Tavi
[Octavia:] No, I'm swung out
[Vinyl:] I'll give you some money
[Octavia:] I don't need money
[Vinyl:] What about a cup of tea
[Octavia:] I do like tea…
[Vinyl:] I won't tell anyone you've got a crush on m- ow!
[Octavia:] Just sing the song, Vinyl.

[Both:] Before we get finished, we'll make the town roar
[Both:] We'll hit all the late spots, and then a few more
[Both:] We'll wind up at Stringy's and maybe Groucho's
[Vinyl:] Life is gonna be we-wow-whee!
[Octavia:] For my shadow and me!

Fancypants stomped his hooves appreciatively, along with most of the other ponies in the bar. He chuckled at the white mare’s exaggerated bows and the grey mare’s embarrassed blush, then dropped a couple Bits on his table and gave his hats one last mock salute before he turned around to leave.

“Alright Vinyl, that was kind of fun. I am still angry at you, I am furious that you still haven’t given that hat back and I’m slightly irritated that you actually bought a second hat just for some silly practical joke on me, but it was fun, so…” The rest of the conversation was cut off as the door swung closed behind Fancypants.

He was almost a whole block away when he heard Octavia’s voice again.

“VINYYYYYYYL!”

Author's Note: