• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 802 Views, 46 Comments

Sisters Forever - Arya Stark



"That doesn't matter," Celestia said firmly to her weeping sibling. Pressing her muzzle against the darker filly, she spoke gently. "Becasue no matter what, we are sisters; forever."

  • ...
1
 46
 802

Close Call

Celestia felt like her heart was leaping to her throat as she watched her sister take to the air, already behind the herd. She watched the dark blue wings beat furiously to gain altitude and speed, and she let out a suppressed worried sound.

“She’s so small out there!”

From where he stood, neck craning to get a better view, the shorter stallion twitched his ears forward. Bastard Squinat’s pelt looked just as prickled as hers felt, and a concerned frown covered his expressions. “Not the best start,” he agreed. “Though I promise, her smallness will come in handy.”

Oh,” Celestia breathed as Squinat’s words came true at that instant; the racing herd was winging around a tight curve between two very narrow jagged stalactites, and the screech of pain could be heard as one of the racers made the cut too short, clipping the wing against the unforgiving corner, ripping at the ring. Celestia gasped in horror as she watched the unfortunate pony plummet down, wing too damaged for flight. The rest of the racers winged their way past the fallen pony, hardly giving any attention to the fall.

“Luna, be careful!” She found herself crying out again, spotting her sister again. Luna had made her way up a couple places, and was approaching the curve with caution, having seen the accident. Celestia found herself holding her breath as her sister flew to the obstacle; the mare had never been the strongest of fliers between the two of them.

Right as she reached the curve, a large stallion donned in black racing leather reached it at the same time, and with a violent thrust, managed to get neck to neck with Luna. Celestia gasped; there wouldn’t be enough room for the both of them! Sensing the approach, Luna beat her wings thrice more to leap ahead, though her competition seemed like he would have nothing to do with it. With another thrust, the stallion made his way back neck to neck with Luna, and right as they reached the curve, thrust his body forward, right into Luna, towards the deadly, jagged protrusion.

“No!”

~*~

Bam!

Luna let out a squeal of surprise as a large body slammed into hers; the attack had come out of nowhere. She had been so focused on making the curve and staying ahead, that she hadn’t noticed the advancement of the competitor.

The blow hit her directly in the side, missing her wing as she had been in the middle of a upbeat. She quickly cut her left wing as her body was shoved towards the jagged barrier, to protect her precious appendage. Further reacting, she shoved her forehooves out, and used the blow to her advantage. As her hooves scraped the stone, she shoved off, letting herself leap away off the solid surface, right wing flaring to guide her into a sharp left turn. Her body cut through the air and around the curve in quick procession, and she heard a cheer as she cleared the obstacle.

She recognized the cheer as Forest Canters, and something sparked within her. Gritting her teeth, she beat her wings a few times to re-stabilize her flight. Once steady, she focused on her wingstrokes, slowly but surely advancing in positions between ponies. Wings brushed hers in the tight quarters, and she felt herself slide into hyper awareness from the first attack, realizing the rules of the race, or lack thereof. By the time they reached the mouth of the dark tunnel leading deeper into the dark cave, she was in the 13th position out of 23, and beginning to feel a spark of anticipation. Racing in the dark; something she did every night, and knew that she would finally have some advantage over the others.

So became the race of her element.

Author's Note:

Hey guys, I know this chappa is a bit short, but I honestly have to skip the race scene for an important reason that you will read soon.

That being said, does anyone want the next chapter up today? I need a cast of votes! ^^

Yours,

~A.S