• Published 22nd Jun 2014
  • 808 Views, 46 Comments

Sisters Forever - Arya Stark



"That doesn't matter," Celestia said firmly to her weeping sibling. Pressing her muzzle against the darker filly, she spoke gently. "Becasue no matter what, we are sisters; forever."

  • ...
1
 46
 808

Collison

“Remind me again; what we are doing here?”

Luna had leaned over to whisper to her sister, earning a dirty look from Celestia. “Shhh. We are almost up.”

Luna scowled, shifting her weight back to center. She hated these court visits, where citizens were allowed to come to the castle and plead audience with her parents, piling their woes onto them, as if it was their fault that the grain refused to grow in the fields they razed, or that it was for some reason, their castles fault that the funneling system for water was slow. Maybe these issues interested her parents, or, for some reason, her sister, but why burden her with it?

“Trade is slow with Newsaddle region,” the simple folk pony before them was speaking, head low in respect as he addressed Luna’s parents. “Because of this, it is harder to sell crops, and the taxes make it difficult yet to keep enough in our own storage. I come forth to ask that you mercy the taxes per crop, at least until trade starts up again, and we can sell easier.”

From where they stood by the throne, her mother gazed down at the earth pony with a calm look, while her father exploited less patience, his ears flicking back and forth. Nearly a week had passed since Sir Clydesdale’s mysterious murder, and the case seemed the worst on her father. It was up to Dark Night to appoint a new captain of the guard, which he had neglected to do yet. It was an enormous task, and the opportunity to hold a proper council about Sir Clydesdale’s death was yet to be held, let alone to appoint his heir. And with mysterious disappearances every night of simple castle folk, such as the cooks or maids, their hooves were full.

Sun Burn paused before answering, careful with her wordings. Luna knew it would be folly to admit their internal struggles, but truth was owed to their subjects, especially when it came to their welfare and ability to survive off their livings. But to admit that all extra coin has been turned to hire more guards to search the nearby villages for possible threats would be just as folly.

“We will look into it, and see how we can accommodate you,” Dark Night finally spoke, as he had been doing for most of the duration of the session. Though Sun Burn hid it, Luna could sense the irritation within her mother, though she kept her gaze gently hidden from all inner emotions.

“Your Grace –“

“All hooves are turned to internal affairs, and if you wish to receive any benefits, you would be wise not only to keep this information to yourself, but scour your own hired hooves and land for possible enemies, or anyone that would wish the royal house harm. This court is dismissed.”

The earth pony looked taken aback as with a sweep of his tail and a toss of his mane, Dark Night beckoned the second in command guard to his flank as he hooved out. From the shadows, Sir Black Cloak peeled himself from his post by the wall, following the king out to separate chambers, leaving Dark Night’s mate and fillies to face the remaining court.

Recovering from her mate’s outburst, Sun Burn lifted her chin a bit higher, addressing the court. “Everyone is dismissed.”

Luna was relieved when the remaining earth ponies started to dwindle out, though she could tell her sister was less than thrilled. Celestia’s shoulders drooped, nose twitching as her blue eyes watched the folk canter out.

“This was supposed to be my morning to address the court,” she complained, and Luna resisted rolling her eyes.
“You really thought they would let you address an open court, with everything going on? After what happened?”

Celestia glared at her sister stubbornly. Unlike her darker sister, she had bothered to garb up in her best cloak, the crimson red pendant holding the ends together at her chest glimmering against the light that shone into the room. “Nobody would dare attack me, not with the guards.”

Luna glanced to the back part of the throne stage, where the remaining guard, Sir Sea Sand and Cobble stood, faces impassive, hardly moving. They kept their swords sheathed at their sides, though the spears attached to the straps on their legs were looser than usual, so they were not as erect for show, but accessible to easy draw. “Most of the attacks have been at night, but soon they will be brave enough to make a move during the day.”

Celestia snorted, shaking her mane. “And when that happens, we will be well protected by the guard.”

“More like you fancy Sir Cobble,” Luna muttered. If her sister heard, she chose not to comment.

Things were wrapping up, and if Luna wanted to avoid another droll day with Septa Nanny Hoof and her droll teachings on numbers, languages and ancient arts, now was her time to disappear.

And disappearing was her specialty.

“If anyone asks, I am deeply absorbed in my studies in my quarters,” Luna informed Celestia. She wasn’t sure if her white sister heard her, for she was busy twisting her neck to straighten out her mane, her teeth working the tangles a bit. But Celestia gave her a small flick of the tail, which Luna figured was the only response she would get.

Slipping out the side door that led to the private halls meant for the servants running between the grand court rooms and dining halls, she turned down the familiar narrow ways, preferring the servants ways than the regular halls; it was faster, quieter, and with a lot less staff blundering over themselves to bend a knee or tilt a head in hasty attempt to greet the moon princess. Besides, she was familiar with the staff, and often preferred their companionship.

She could smell the upcoming meal for lunch being prepared already as she passed the oaken doors leading to the kitchen. She hesitated, peering through the round hole in the door to inhale the scent, taking a gammer at the meal; minced apple soup, along with long lemon grass pie, bean cake and the roots of arugula; that much she could tell.

Lost in the scent, she hardly heard the sound of hooves against the wood, and a flash of a dark, earthy green pelt was the only thing that warned her of the stallion coming through door at the other side.

She whinnied in surprise as the door flung open, her hooves clattering as she scrambled aside. There was a symphony of the sound of flat plates and glasses clinking as the stallion snorted in surprise, the collision making the flat saddle upon his back holding the table ware laden with food titter precariously. But with practiced ease the stallion stilled the saddle, breathing once it was still.

Golden brown eyes flashed as the dark green server pony opened his mouth to un-doubtfully scold whoever had dared get in his way, the same time apologies came stuttering out from Luna, her pelt flushing heat from embarrassment. But then the stallion caught sight of who it was, and gasped.

“Princess Luna!” in a flurry he scrambled to bend a knee and lower his head in a bow, only causing the saddle to sway dangerously again. Snorting in irritation, Luna stretched her muzzle forward against the saddle, staying it.

“Please, none of that,” she scowled, stepping back once all was stable again. “Luna is just fine.”

“Of course, m’lady-“

“Nope, not that either.” She interrupted.

Hesitation. Then; “…Mistress?”

“Negative.”

The stallion opened his mouth, about to address her again, and fell silent, ears flicking. She could see the confusion in his gaze, and she let out a small nicker of merriment. Her amusement caught onto the server pony, who allowed himself a smile in return, shaking his mane slightly. “Luna, then.”

“That’ll have to do, I suppose,” Luna sighed, feigning exasperation, earning another nicker of amusement from the server pony. “And by what name do I call you?”

“I am often am addressed with “get out of the way’ or ‘you burned it again,’ but you may call me Forest Canter. Sorry for startling you.”

Legs stiff as a newborn filly, Luna extending her neck to exchange breathes. Forest Canter’s velvety muzzle touched hers briefly, and she inhaled deeply. His scent was earthy and reminded her of a mix between pine trees and grass. She released her breath, allowing him to take in her scent, and then arched her neck, addressing him again. “Pleased to meet you, Forest Canter.”

“The pleasure is mine,” Forest Canter insisted, and Luna swished her tail, hurrying the banalities away.

“I don’t believe I have seen you around before,” she informed him.

Forest Canter flicked an ear. “What one believes verses one what sees are two different things, and you are correct in saying so. I am a new hire here for the kitchens.”

“And doing such a fabulous job, if you have earned so many nicknames already,” Luna observed.

The mossy stallion sighed. “Aye, you could say that.”

“At least you have the balancing act underway,” she gestured her muzzle to the saddle. “Those look positively awful.”

The stallion gave a graceful shrug, “They serve the trick for show and getting the job done. Much how I imagine how uncomfortable the crowns on your head must be.”

Luna couldn’t recall any of the lower staff being so open about their opinion to her, and she found it rather enjoyable. She was about to speak again, when a clamor in the kitchen made her ears flick forward, and the young ponies were joined by another presence.

The flinging door narrowly missed hitting Forest Canter, who just managed to sidestep the head cook who came trotting out, looking absolutely furious. “Forest Canter! You aren’t paid t’stand ‘round lollygaggin’ all day, ge’ those plates ou’! We can’t properly sen’ any food ou’ withou’ a table set, can we? Eh? Ge’ on with i’ ye’ blunderin’ colt!””

“Sorry Mistress Pumpkin!” Forest Canter squealed. Luna had to withhold her snicker of merriment; pumpkin indeed, for it looked like the apron hardly contained the bulging flanks of the tan mare.

“O’, Princess Luna, pardon me and me appren’ice ‘ere, he’ll be ou’er yer mane in a blink... Why are yer still ‘ere? Move move! Ge’ them ‘ooves t’ work ye useless colt!” Without waiting to see if he carried it out, the plump cook turned on her hooves again and stormed back through the doors into the kichen.

“Yes Mistress Pumpkin!” the stallion scrambled past Luna to carry out his service, only hesitating to glance over his flank back at Luna.

“A pleasure speaking with you, Luna!” He was gone then, carrying the remaining scent of pine and grass with him.

“And you,” Luna found herself murmuring, her nostrils flaring as she memorized his scent. “A pleasure indeed.”

Author's Note:

Hey, you! Yeah, YOU reading this!

Comments, please? I like knowing the thoughts of my readers....

I'll be dooin' 't same 'fer you, but I need to know WHO read it!

Much appreciated!

~Arya Stark