• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 5,158 Views, 566 Comments

Two-Sided Prequel II: Who You Work For - FerociousCreation



Note: This is the FIRST installment of the Two Sided series. After working in a coffee shop for two months after leaving Suri, Coco Pommel found a job that is to make a dress "fit for a queen." Little did she know was who she was going to work for.

  • ...
21
 566
 5,158

PreviousChapters Next
The Fateful Event: Cedar Shadow

Ch. 50

The cedar tree was all the company Coco wanted as she sat in the grass, shedding every tear she could. She began to mutter insults to herself, saying she wasn’t good enough to be a winner. In a fit of frustration, the mare thought of the contest was a stupid idea, only made to pit ponies against one another. Yet only one will come out on top, while the losers sat on the bottom in shame.


But what made Coco feel terrible about the entire situation, was that she felt she failed Queen Chrysalis. The mare did not fear the leader for her loss. Coco knew she would not be struck down for not being among the best. No. The earth pony felt a failure because the entire aim was to get love for the queen and the hive. She felt that she failed the entire hive! The smiling children she so loved may not get the food they desired. All because of her pathetic loss.


Coco tried to imagine herself up on stage, along with Chrysalis and Fang. The prized crowns being placed on their heads, pride filling them all. And then the queen leans into her ear and says, “The children will thank you dearly for this evening.” But Coco didn’t want to hold onto that false reality. It would poison her to the point where she may grow bitter and mean, envying anypony’s joy.


The sound of hoofsteps disturbed the grass, alerting the mare that somepony was on the approach. Her ears twitched and turned. The sound was coming from the left.


“Coco? Are you alright?” Fang’s voice almost heated Coco’s heart, only wanting him around. After all, he is the best stallion to vent to. If it wasn’t for Coco’s harsh sniffs and whimpers, he would have had to try harder to find her.


But Coco had no strength in her throat. It cramped with sadness and hurt. Rounding the small cedar tree, Fang came into view. Coco’s knight in handsome attire has come for her. Then again, the mare would rather not look at her creation that got her nothing out of the gala’s contest. “Hey…” The stallion came to Coco slowly, knowing exactly how to approach the situation. This isn’t the first time he has done this. Sitting beside her, he completed his sentence, “...you can talk to me.” Desiring his heat, the saddened mare scooted up against Fang, leaning her head on his shoulder. She felt the fabric she rested on start to warm her cheek. Coco hummed at the comforting feeling, letting Fang know he was doing the works for her. But that didn’t change how Coco was feeling.


“I feel like I failed, Fang…” she finally muttered. “That I failed every…” Coco leaned into Fang’s ear, preventing anypony that may have a hankering for eavesdropping. “...changeling…”


The changeling shook his head in disapproval. “You failed no one. You have done a fine job at what you have done. I swear.” He wrapped an arm around Coco’s torso, heating up his caring limb to further emphasize his care for her. Whispering into her, he said, “I am nearly full and so is the queen. We are nearly satisfied.”


Finally turning her glassy eyes to Fang, she asked, “R-really? Y-you p-promise?”


“I swear.” A smile lifted Coco’s cheeks a little, feeling slightly better. But the bitter taste of defeat was still on her tongue and Fang knew that. Knowing there was somepony better to discuss such matters, he stood up. “There are some ponies who wishes to talk to you.” He reached out a hoof, smiling down at Coco Pommel.


Naturally, she reached for the hoof, standing when Fang pulled her onto all fours. “Who?” Pulling her around the cedar tree, a group of ponies stood before her. Coco stood with a stunned stare, now flustered that she still had beads of tears at the corners of her eyelids. Chrysalis, Platinum, Velvet, Stitch, Suri, Derpy, Time Turner, Princess Celestia, Cadence, and Shining Armor looked back at her. Coco noticed the crowns Derpy, Time Turner, and Suri wore. They twinkled in the moonlight as the diamonds mimicked the lovely stars in the sky. Coco would have cared about them if it were not for the bodies here to support her.


“Your Majesty told us you were bothered with your loss,” Princess Celestia spoke, her voice ready to speak elegant wisdom. Coco nodded, still upset at not even placing. “If you think you are the only one upset with defeat, think again…” Gesturing to her right, a stallion sat at a bench, sitting with a frustrated gaze. Two finely dressed ponies sat beside him, trying to encourage him. Coco recognized the stallion; he was one of her competitors. And the mare and stallion beside the angered fashion designer spoke kind words into his ear.


“I am sorry for any amount of hurt you may feel, Coco,” Cadence now speaking, her face turning to Shining Armor. “And so does he.” The prince nodded at his wife’s comment. “But because we were the judges, the two of us needed to have a fair pair of eyes if there was to be an unbiased opinion.”


“You cannot win every battle,” Shining Armor inputted. “But take your losses, whatever they may be, and learn.”


Stepping from the group, Chrysalis looked down at Coco with a smile. “I am proud of you, my dearest friend. Nothing will make me detract from that truth.”


Coco took one step toward the queen. Then two. Then reached up to pull Chrysalis’ neck down and hug her. With tears of happiness rolling down Coco’s cheeks, she stuttered, “Thank you. For everything. Nothing will make me detract from that truth.” Coco could feel herself being pressed against Chrysalis as the changeling continued the embrace.


Finished with their friendly hold, Coco looked to the others who watched her and Chrysalis. Stitch was obviously crying as Platinum patted her shoulder. The rest looked upon her with smiles. “Thank you everypony for the support,” Coco spoke to the group. Everyone nodded, glad to have lifted the earth pony’s spirits.


Fang nudged Coco’s side. She turned to face a stallion with a flushed face. “So, in order to cheer you up and because of a promise I made… W-would you umm… come inside and d-d-dance with me? I hear they plan to play some slow dancing music.”


“O-oh!” Coco’s cheeks lit up, blush bleeding in. She shyly gazed away, but smiling a silly smile. “I-” Daring to look back at Fang, she held her hoof waiting for him to take it. “I would love to.” The mare was now embarrassed as the group witnessed the sweet act of Fang as they smiled and giggled among themselves.


With the earth pony’s hoof in his own, Fang spoke to the group, “Excuse us.” And with those two words, both made their way into the ballroom.


“You have a wonderful friend,” Celestia spoke, approaching Chrysalis.


“Indeed I do. Sometimes those who work for you are the best ponies that could ever be around you.” As the two mingled, the group started to disperse. Cadence and Shining Armor walked off with each other, while the other six still stood where they were before.


Derpy’s eyes rolled in her head a bit as she watched Stitch and Platinum talk to each other. “Are you two dating or something?” The two blushed, looking away from each other with flustered grins.

PreviousChapters Next