• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 5,160 Views, 566 Comments

Two-Sided Prequel II: Who You Work For - FerociousCreation



Note: This is the FIRST installment of the Two Sided series. After working in a coffee shop for two months after leaving Suri, Coco Pommel found a job that is to make a dress "fit for a queen." Little did she know was who she was going to work for.

  • ...
21
 566
 5,160

PreviousChapters Next
The Fateful Event: The Victors

Ch. 49

Coco Pommel had to swallow her heart as it almost jumped out of her throat. Even Suri Polomare had an anxious expression. Perhaps she wanted to win as much as Coco wanted. Sure, Coco did not know she was partaking in a contest before. But now that the results were upon her, victory was desired.


Coco shivered in place, awaiting the princess to speak. Coming to her side, Fang placed his hoof on the mare’s. “Do not worry. I guarantee you will win,” he smiled. The changeling did notice Suri glance at him for a moment before turning her attention back to the stage. He wanted her to lose bitterly, not get any acknowledgement for her works. Coco did smile at Fang but didn’t thank him. All of her attention was on Princess Cadence.


“I just want to say that it was very difficult for Shining Armor and I to decide the top three. And even with those three chosen, choosing a victor was even more challenging.” Cadence then hooved the microphone over to her husband.


“Behind me,” he spoke, gesturing to nine crowns, “are the trophies for the winners. Not only do they have the placing on them, but are also wearable as well. In other words, we will be… crowning the best of the best, literally.” Several ponies chuckled at the prince’s joke, while most clapped their hooves. His wife then gave Shining Armor the list she held. “So, with our third place winner, we have Cotton Ball’s for her Ace and Spades design!” A spotlight quickly found the trio of ponies as Swift and Lily embraced Cotton Ball with a supporting hug. “Will you three please make your way onto the stage.” At once, the three briskly walked on stage. Bowing their heads, the princess placed three silver crowns on their craniums. The crowns were simple, not having too much detail put into them. But the three contestants stood proudly on stage with the crowd clapping at their accomplishment.


After they left the stage, Cadence was given the microphone. With the list now in hoof, she took a deep breath, holding it in. The princess was taunting Coco Pommel, leaving her on edge. She gripped Fang’s hoof, it starting to get warm. And not because of his heading abilities.


“In second place, we have Thin Line with her Queen Bee’s Paladin design.” With a quick dash of the spotlight, it too found the winners. Chrysalis noticed her friend’s shivering and also placed her hoof on Coco. But instead of the hoof, the changeling placed hers on the mare’s shoulder.


“Worry not. Victory is near! I can taste it!” Despite all of the support she was given, Coco Pommel still had her doubts. There were at least twenty other fashion designers, all with their own special way of threading and tailoring. But then again, two of those twenty somewhat contestants were already declared winners. And with two now out of the game, there was a slightly better chance of her being the winner. After the second place winners had their golden crowns, they too left the stage.


At this point, Coco Pommel had her arm wrapped around Fang’s limb. She wanted to win. Badly. Perhaps the other changelings wanted her to become victorious as well, and not just for their queen to gain more love. Coco gave them a chance to come to the Grand Galloping Gala. And they should give the earth pony their respects.


“And now…” Cadence spoke lowly, making the air thick with tension, “the winner… of the Grand Galloping Gala’s fashion show is…” Fang and Chrysalis moved close to Coco, fully supporting her, demanding their friend’s victory. Coco’s heart knocked hard on her breastbone, almost wanting to hear the result on its own.


After a pause, the Princess of Love proclaimed, “SURI POLOMARE AND HER CREATION, THE DAIRY QUEEN AND HER ASSISTANT!”


Coco’s racing heart came to a complete stop. And almost fell out of her chest. The cheers in the ballroom echoed quietly in Coco’ Pommel’s head as she stared at the ground. The tears were already rolling down her sad cheeks as disappointment crashed down upon the depressed mare. Fang’s arm pulled her close to him, his body now heating up to a lukewarm temperature. Chrysalis looked down at her friend, not sure how to help but keep her hoof on Coco’s shoulder.


As the spotlight shined on Suri, she stood in awe. Normally, most first place winners would jump for joy, screaming with glee. Derpy certainly did as she pounced onto Time Turner. “We won! We won!” she cheered. Time Turner gave the pegasus a loving kiss on the lips in celebration. Even he was not expecting a standing ovation from everypony in the ballroom. But Suri was still in shock. Something inside her didn’t want to believe she had won. Her eyes looked at Coco and frowned. Never in her life did Suri think she would feel upset after victory in a contest.


“May the winners please make their way on stage please,” Shining Armor asked over the still applauding ponies. Derpy and Time Turner ran to the front of the stage as Suri took her time. Once all three were before the prince and princess, they bowed their heads, awaiting their trophies. Suri felt the weight of the diamond crown as it was placed upon her. It felt good to win. But it didn’t make her feel happy, knowing her ex-coworker, who had gave her mercy when confronted by changelings, was not even in the top three.


On the tile floor, Chrysalis looked down at Coco Pommel with a frown. “Coco, I’m… Your dresses were still the best in my eyes.”


But the reality of harsh defeat only bit hard into the pony’s heart. In a huff of sadness and jealousy, Coco broke her contact with Fang and made her way for the garden. “Let’s hear it for our first place winners!” Cadence spoke loudly. The crowd’s cheering taunts the earth pony.

Author's Note:

Holy crap, I just realized I am on chapter 49! :rainbowderp:

Time to speed things along.

PreviousChapters Next