• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 5,160 Views, 566 Comments

Two-Sided Prequel II: Who You Work For - FerociousCreation



Note: This is the FIRST installment of the Two Sided series. After working in a coffee shop for two months after leaving Suri, Coco Pommel found a job that is to make a dress "fit for a queen." Little did she know was who she was going to work for.

  • ...
21
 566
 5,160

PreviousChapters Next
The Fateful Event: To Kill Time

Ch.38

“What do you mean I have to fight?” Forest Rain argued as he slightly floated above the marble floor.

“Exactly what I said,” Tail Fin flashed a sinister grin. “My kind here under the lake love to watch two creatures tear each other up.”

If Forest Rain could, he would give this smug prince his two cents… with his fists. But there was a problem with that; several in fact: he was underwater for one; he was in the domain of the merfolk. Because the best he could do was wade through the water, Forest Rain would be no match for the speed of the merfolk. Second, they gave him the ability to breath. A small bubble surrounded the pegasus’ head that gave him fresh oxygen to inhale. If he tried to argue again, the prince would want to watch him suffocate some more.

Curious as to what his opponent is, he asked the prince, “Who will I be fighting?”

“Ah!” Tail Fin smiled, as if he felt pity for the poor creature that floated behind the cage it was in. He gesture to the cell on the opposite side of Forest Rain with his magical trident. “She will be your opponent.”

Peering into the cell, Forest Rain noticed a mermare lying on the hard floor. However, the water seemed to keep her slightly afloat from the marble surface, making it seem like she was comfortable. Her tail was a nice shimmering gold; the scales looked like ancient doubloons. Her mane was long and purple. It swayed to and fro calmly like a wheat field being stirred by a gentle breeze.

“Urchin!” the ruler yelled. The mermare twitched and then turned her head. Urchin, who had quite a beautiful backside, did not have the expression of what one may call attractive. Her stare was hard and hot. Hot enough to melt the metal bars that held her within her prison. “Come close so you can see who will be fighting against.”

Forest Rain watched Urchin slowly weave her body through the water as she swam toward the prince. She gripped the bars as if she were about to pull them apart and let herself out.

“I… have to fight… her?” the pegasus asked, not sure if he could. Forest Rain’s expression turned frightened. Never in his life did he think he would be forced to fight anypony… let alone be thrown in a ring to be made sport of.

“Don't give me that look,” the prince chuckled. “She is not what you seem…” He then pointed his trident at the mermare and barked, “Show him your true form!” Despite his order, Urchin did not move. She only continued to glare at the prince.

(What is her deal with Mr. White Knight here?) Forest Rain wondered as he watched Urchin remain still.

“Show him your power… and I will give you more rations today,” the prince offered. Urchin twitched upon hearing the statement. Forest noticed the mermare frown for a fraction of a second, showing a sign of weakness. But even that didn't stop her from glaring at Tail Fin.

After a few moments of silence, the prince slowly turned the trident to Forest Rain. “If you don't change, I will torture our guest a little. I know how much you love watching others in pain…”

Forest Rain did hear Urchin speak, but it was muffled. His vision suddenly went blurry as his bubble was popped. He opened his mouth to take in a breath, but it filled up with water. Realizing what the prince had done, it was another pain inducing moment of drowning. It took a moment before Forest Rain’s lungs began to crave a breath of oxygen. His chest wanted to burst open itself and suck in something instinctively, but the pegasus had to fight the pain. Forest Rain began to struggle and his body began to squirm violently. Hatred flooded his veins more than the carbon-dioxide that was trying to escape. But as he writhed, the stallion looked and saw the prince and prisoner still standing at their original places. Forest Rain wondered what Tail Fin meant when he said to Urchin, ‘I know how much you love watching others in pain....’

Instinctively, the pegasus’ lungs sucked in, daring to let something helpful in. But water filled his body. Before he could be granted death, his breathing bubble engulfed his head. Forest Rain coughed out the water that he inhaled and it splashed his face before resting at the bottom of the bubble.

“Now I am sure you don’t want to endure that again now do we?” Tail Fin asked as if he was giving helpful advice. All Forest Rain cared about was taking in healthy breaths of air. But Forest Rain did notice that the prince was not speaking to him directly, but to Urchin. When the stallion did look at the mermare, she looked at him with pity. Sadness. As if there was no hope for him.

“So Urchin, if you would be so kind and transform. Show our guest that you are not what you appear to be…”

Removing herself from the hard metal, the mermare lurched forward. Her expression was a painful one. In horror, Forest Rain watched as Urchin’s body bulged-

“Faaaaaang!”

The sound of Coco Pommel’s voice made Fang twitch and quickly needed to find a way to dispose of the book he was reading. Remembering his task, he walked to the carriage door and tossed the book in and grabbed the bouquet of flowers. For a moment, the changeling looked at the lovely array of flowers with a frown, knowing the purpose behind them. But still, Fang knew that Chrysalis wants her friend to be happy and so does he.

The moment he turned around, Fang was greeted by three mares. The obvious two he knew. But the other one almost made the flowers he was holding catch fire.

“Hello Your Majesty, Coco,” he nodded with smiles. Fang did not, however, give Suri a passing glance. Coco may have forgiven her, but he has not. You may have turn coated for the better, Suri, Fang thought. But I still don’t like you…

Noticing the bouquet of flowers, Coco asked, “What are those flowers for?”

A smile grew on Fang’s face. “They are for you.”

Coco gasped as Fang hooved the bundle of petals and stems were given to her. Her blush matched the sweet pink shade of a tulip that rested at the center of the bouqcete.

“I… wanted to give this to you as a thank you for helping us,” Fang continued. “I also find you… very special.”

An “aww” escaped from Suri as she witnessed such a cute action unfolding before her. Chrysalis stood next to the stunned mare with a happy grin.

“What a kind gesture,” the queen spoke.

Coco’s glanced between her gift and Fang. She saw it in his eyes; Fang was very sincere about what he had just said and noticed a different color in his cheeks.

Even though Coco had a hoof full of flowers, she embraced the changeling. “Oh Fang!” she exclaimed with glee. “You are so sweet!” Unable to contain her happiness, the pony kissed Fang on the cheek. Suri, at the corner of her eye, saw Chrysalis frown the moment Coco kissed the changeling.

Coco removed herself from Fang and turned to the queen; her smile quickly returned when she saw Coco move. “You don't mind that he did this, right?”

“Why would I?” Chrysalis responded. “You helped us. So you deserve a happy night.”

The mare giggled at the compliment. “Thank you.”

With business handled, Coco asked, “So what shall we do until the gala begins?”

Scratching her chin, Chrysalis thought long and hard but came up dry. “Honestly, I am not to sure… I did not expect the sign ups to take such short time.”

“Yeah,” Coco imputed. “All it was was a sign your name and the two who will be wearing your dresses. The only thing we need to do is check in later this evening with our wearers before the contest begins.”

Chrysalis looked to Fang. “Do you have any ideas as to what we might do until this evening?”

“I don't Your Majesty.”

As Coco, Fang, and Chrysalis stood in silence trying to muster up a time killer, Suri spoke, “I have an idea.”

Not having a clue of what to do, the queen asks, “What do you have in mind?”

“You are in Canterlot! There are so many things you can do here!” Suri was almost too enthusiastic as she spoke. “There are museums and theaters and a lovely park and… just... so much things!”

Coco could understand Suri’s attitude. They were in Canterlot, perhaps the best location there is in all of Equestria. Many mares like herself want to come to this kingdom to live and make it big in the big white city. Not to mention, Canterlot was a filled to the brim of shops, tourist locations, landmarks, and plenty of other things.

But being a mare of action, Chrysalis said, “I know there are ‘so much things’ here at Canterlot. Of what of those many things would you like to do?”

All eyes were on the Suri now. While Coco looked at her with patience and a smile, the mare could feel Fang and Chrysalis practically staring right through her. She hated how the changelings were acting towards her, but disregarded any thoughts of arguing; they might be reading her mind as well.

“How about we go to the theater and see what is showing there?” Suri finally suggested.

A curious hum came from the queen. “Alright, we will go there and see if there is anything interesting.”

A wave of excited attitude filled Coco Pommel. She had always wanted to visit the Canterlot Theater. Many famous ponies have come from there and that is not just including actors or singers of the sort. Musicians, directors, stage decorators, critics, and even taylors have emerged from that place a success after getting a chance to be present themselves. Perhaps she may be able to work there for costume designs. After all, Coco now had to think of her future work; the employment with Chrysalis was concluded several days ago.

“I like the idea as well,” Coco agreed.

“Then let’s go,” Suri said, wanting to lead the way. The earth pony was expecting to walk and turned away from the others.

“You know you could ride with us,” Coco insisted. Suri turned back to see Chrysalis and Fang looking at her like they wish to no longer see her. The cream colored mare looked to Chrysalis and asked, “Is that okay with you?”

A smile came to the queen as her eyes fell upon Coco. “Yes it is.” Chrysalis gestured for Suri to enter the carriage. “Go on you two. Get in.”

Nervously but with haste, Suri climbed into the thing and Coco followed. Just as Chrysalis was about to enter the wagon, she blinked to Fang, I assume you did as asked?

I got a luxurious room at the Royal Palace for Coco.

Good work.

With nothing else to say, or blink, the queen climbed into the carriage. Using his magic, Fang closed the door, now standing alone. Taking in a deep breath, he sighed. And then frowned.

You do not have to remind me of what I must do after tonight my queen…

PreviousChapters Next