• Published 21st Jun 2014
  • 5,158 Views, 566 Comments

Two-Sided Prequel II: Who You Work For - FerociousCreation



Note: This is the FIRST installment of the Two Sided series. After working in a coffee shop for two months after leaving Suri, Coco Pommel found a job that is to make a dress "fit for a queen." Little did she know was who she was going to work for.

  • ...
21
 566
 5,158

PreviousChapters Next
The Fateful Event: A Story Begins

Ch.35

Coco sat close to the window of the carriage, watching the clouds go by as the carriage flew in the air. The mare wished to be quiet anyways as she sat on the opposite side of the changeling queen. She was still shaken up a little by Chrysalis’ punishment that she bestowed unto Scar. Even though he may have deserved it, Coco still felt bad for him. The pony was also trying her hardest to not ask the queen any questions. Chrysalis did say she would tell Coco why Scar Splash is a hypocrite, but wanted to give the changeling some time to herself as well. Thankfully, the pony brought the book that Sea More gave her. Opening it to the first page, the pony began to read…

***

Stepping forward, Forest Rain leaned in to take a drink from the lake. The water looked fresh enough that it must be safe to consume. He took a sip to taste. Didn’t taste like poison. Because his thirst was just too much to bare, Forest Rain sucked in a mouthful of water and gulped it down. It hurt when he swallowed, but it was only temporary pain.

But as he finished forcing down a large amount of liquid, something stirred the water. The pegasus looked up to see a fin raise up from the water and then back under. ‘Perhaps it was a large fish,’ Forest Rain thought as he returned to quenching his thirst.

He began to sip at the liquid, now taking in more and more as he filled his stomach. Forest then heard the water make a sound again and this time, closer. Not wanting to lift his head, Forest glanced upwards to see if anything was in his peripheral. And when he did, the stallion did see something. A pair of-

“Are you enjoying your book?” Chrysalis asked, breaking Coco’s concentration.

“It was just getting interesting,” Coco answered.

“Then don't let my intrusion on your reading stop you.”

Closing the novel, the pony placed it aside, now thinking Chrysalis was now in the mood for talking. “Well, I don't mind talking to my friend.”

The queen leaned on the wall of the carriage. “I can assume you want to ask about Scar Splash, correct?” Once again, the changeling’s name caused Coco to freeze and Chrysalis saw that. “He certainly does scare you.” The mare nodded slowly. “Well, perhaps I will tell you his secret…”

Coco’s ears perked upwards. “What do you mean ‘his secret?’”

“I mean he has a secret that will make you turn your head about him,” Chrysalis answered. “Besides, he has frightened my closest friend. And I hate those who frighten those who are close to me.” The statement did help comfort Coco slightly, knowing she has a protective friend; however, it also made the mare nervous knowing Chrysalis is a bit of an extremist.

“Alright, what is the secret then?”

***

A cool wind blew against Fang as he pulled the carriage through the sky. His thoughts were clear, even though he wanted to hurt Scar Splash for the display he just did in front of Queen Chrysalis. Lucky for Fang, his leader retaliated against Scar's action, so nothing was needed to be done on his part.

He looked at the small world below him, loving the calm flight.

“WHAAAAAAAAT?!” A shout of disbelief rang out of the carriage from behind. Looking back at the wagon, Fang could only assume that was Coco. And perhaps Chrysalis answered a shocking question.

***

Coco Pommel couldn't believe it. It all made sense but it didn't. “B-but how?!” the mare blurted out. “How can Scar- When did they- What happened-” So many questions shot through Coco’s little mind so fast, her ability to make sentences have become crippled and incomplete.

“Do you understand why he is a hypocrite?” Chrysalis asked calmly.

“I- I don't understand,” Coco spoke, finally able to speak coherently. “If Scar Splash loved a pony before, then… why does he hate me? Why does he hate ponies so much?”

“If you were a changeling you would understand.” The pony opened her mouth, but Chrysalis cut her off, “I must say this: because you know of his secret, you must not tell her or him. Understand?”

“Why?”

“If you tell him, he won't believe you. If you tell her that he is alive, she will hunt him down…” A moment of silence came through the carriage. “Matter of fact, don't tell anyone.”

“Okay. But why are you telling me this?”

A smile came across Chrysalis’ face, “Because I trust you with all of my heart. And if Scar cannot accept that, then that is too bad.” Slowly, Coco bobbed her head. “Are there any other questions you wish to ask me?”

Thinking for a moment, the pony came up with a question, “So, how are you going to tell Princess Celestia how you feel about her?”

“I am going to use you when I confront Princess Celestia." Queen Chrysalis sounded very matter of fact.

The plan of confronting Princess Celestia was beginning to make Coco unsure about what her friend had in mind. “And... how will you do that?” the pony nervously asked, her brows raised in anticipation.

Looking outside, Chrysalis saw the clouds pass by. “I have been thinking about what to do during this entire ride and this is what I came up with: When the time is right, I will take you and Celestia somewhere quiet. Don’t ask where or when, you will know.” The pony nodded, taking note of everything being said. “When I reveal myself, I want you to deny that you knew about me being a changeling. That is all.”

“W-what?!” Coco got up and stood in front of the queen. “You want me to deny you?!”

Chrysalis nodded, “That is correct.”

“But why?!” The pony’s ears fell back in defense. “Why would I deny one of my closest friends?! I- I can’t do that!” Coco’s eyes began to hurt as tears started to build.

“Please,” the queen begged, “trust me. Please. This is the only way for it to work and see the true heart of the princess. But for it to work, I must leave out several important details. All you need to do is to deny knowing I am a changeling.”

“Alright.” Coco was about to turn around and sit back down, but she felt herself being pulled toward the queen. The mare was then placed right next to Chrysalis, who smiled at her.

“Don’t worry,” the changeling spoke, placing an arm around Coco. “I trust you. It’s not everyday a queen is this close to a commoner.”

The complement was too much for Coco and she couldn’t help but smile. “Hehe, that is true.”

Looking to the opposite side of the carriage, Chrysalis levitated the novel over to her friend. “Now why don’t you read a little more, okay? I still need to think about tonight.”

“Mmhmm,” Coco hummed. Taking the floating book, the earth pony opened the novel and got to the page before she was interrupted. The whole plan Chrysalis was planning was making Coco a little unsure of what was going on in her friend's head. But she was a queen who was many years older than her.

Hopefully Chrysalis knows what she is doing...

PreviousChapters Next