• Published 9th Apr 2012
  • 1,639 Views, 74 Comments

Very different beneath the surface - Slick Dash



A surge of magic creates problems for Ponnyville as it crashes to the ground and greats the mane six

  • ...
4
 74
 1,639

Bye

Dust, far more than any that had been summoned by the raging battle, billowed into the sky. The group of unlikely victors all stood hidden, staring at the sight before them. From around them, came the sound of opening doors and windows. Slowly, now that the tumultuous fanfare of clashing metal had died, the residents of Ponnyville who had hid in the depths of their homes came out to inspect the scene.

“*GAG* Twilight! *Splutter* Can you sort this damn dust out?”coughed a rough throated Pink who was slowly being engulfed by a plume of dust just beside her. Neither knew which she was speaking to, so the two Twilight’s -just able to see each other as they stood beside the other- closed their eyes. Their horns glowed with an identical sheen, and a subtle gust of wind began to flow through the air. It picked up the dust and dirt and scattered it higher into the air.

Finally everypony could see them.

Three creatures lay on the ground. The grass beneath them was black and scorched with the might of the element’s magic. Empress Celestia was among them. Like when they had battled Nightmare Moon, her armour lay scattered and broken. They smoked slightly, as they slowly seemed to dissolve away. Discord scanned across the creature’s body quickly, taking in the twitching limbs and rising chest. She was still alive, fair enough. The elements weren’t meant to kill, only disarm.

By the looks of it, they had done just that. The empress’s long sharpened horn lay shattered before her resting head. A jagged and sharp stump lay just above her crooked silver crown, leaving the rest of the deadly weapon scattered across the floor. The chimera walked forward, picking up the longest piece of the horn, which was surprisingly the pointed tip.

Turning back, the chimera smiled at the group, then his eyes focused on his wife, her mane still as bouncy and full as it had been in the battle. Of course! She had no reason to be sad now, it was over! As his smile emphasised his single fang, he lifted the horn and slotted it up into the other corner of his mouth. The sight was quite hilarious.

The now vampiric looking chimera stretched his arms out and limply hobbled towards his wife like a horror monster. He let out a small croaking moan, which received a large laugh from many of the group. Even Princess Celestia managed a small smile! Satisfied with his joke, Discord spat out the horn and darted to his wife, scooping her up into his arms, and soaring into the sky with her. He twirled like a top as he laughed happily with his wife and they embraced.

Everypony was looking at the two, a sense of closure growing in the pit of their stomachs, it was finished. They’d won! Everypony smiled at the two lovers soaring through the sky, all accept for Fluttershy. The yellow mare began to move towards the figures on the ground, nopony had seemed to recognise, nor care about the two figures lying unconscious on each side of the queen.

“Isn’t this amazing Flutter”- Dashie cried happily, turning to hug her friend, only to find her missing. For a moment she panicked, “FLUTTERSHY!?!” Immediately, the group snapped to attention at Dashie’s yelp. They turned back to the ground in time to see the caring yellow mare drop slowly to her knees and stroke the almost liquid mane of the blue pony at her knees.

A second later, the local ponies gasped with realisation. With concern in their hearts, they rushed to the side of the unconscious Alicorn. “What?” AJ asked, left behind along with Dashie and Twi. “Who is it?” she asked in confusion.
“It’s Princess Luna.” Two voices said in unison. The three first looked to their left to see Princess Celestia staring at the scene, then to the sky to see Discord descending slowly with Pink in his arms.
“That’s Princess Luna?” Twi asked in amazement as she watched the dark mane of the elegant dark creature flow on an unseen breeze, almost like smoke. “Celestia’s sister?”

“And co-founder of the rebellion.” Discord added, letting Pink hop back to the ground. “She’s the one who came for my help in the first place.” Pink frowned.
“You mean you didn’t start it?” the chimera chuckled.
“No my dear I didn’t, or at least not the first one. After she was caught, I instigated the next hundred rebellions. But no, noooo if it hadn’t been for her I’d have probably watched the chaos unfold happily. She can be...” Disc smiled slightly, “Oddly persuasive when the time calls for it.”

As the group watched, Rarity and Spike turned away from the unconscious princess and moved towards the other pony, out cold on the grass. He wore a tattered tuxedo, white and what must have been dazzling at a time, but it was now torn and dishevelled.
“And him?” Dashie asked.
“You don’t know?” Pink asked coldly, her eyes glinting with anger at the now dethroned empress. “He’s the latest royal victim of her Excellency! Blue Blood, her nephew.” The group all stared at Pink, unable to believe the depths of their tyrannical ruler’s evil. Then slowly, they came over to check on the suffering group.

“How is he?” Spike coughed agonizingly as Rarity glanced over the royal stallion’s unconscious body.
“Not good.” Rarity grimaced. She pointed out several large gashes in his back; the slashes in the material were stained with a terrible amount of thick congealed blood.
“I believe I can help there my dear dragon and darling, do back away won’t you?” Disc bellowed from behind the couple, who jumped in terror at the voice they still weren’t quite used to hearing again.

They did as asked, and the chimera bent over the suffering stallion. Only a few feet away, Princess Celestia cleared the way to the unconscious Luna and did the same. Both using a similar magic, a small ball of golden light appeared from the Chimera’s paw, and the alicorn’s horn. As the group watched, the balls began to expand until they spread out over the entirety of the two bodies’ wounds.

As Twilight watched, her jaw dropped at the immense power her teacher possessed. As the golden ball of magic began to pulsate and glow, the wounds under the it’s warmth began to sew themselves shut again. The bruises settled, and torn fur began to grow back. This was amazing, Twilight had thought she was progressing before this entire adventure had started, but in truth, there was still so much about magic she had never even seen! Let alone studied.

Soon enough, the wounded mare and stallion stirred. Luna was the first to wake, he eyes blearily opened to meet Celestia’s only a few inches away. Luna smiled blissfully for a moment, then recognising the face; she scurried away, reeling back in fear.

“Be still!” the princess cooed gently. Smiling at the fearful dark princess, showing her she meant no harm. Slowly, the princess of the night lowered her defensive hooves and looked at the alicorn before her.
“T-Tia?” she croaked, she sounded like she hadn’t used her voice for years. Celestia gave a sad smile, and shook her head. Slowly she turned her gaze to the rasping defeated creature beside the dark princess.
“There is your sister.” The princess muttered, Applejack who stood only a few feet away was sure she could detect a tone she had never heard from the princess before, was it hate? Was that even possible for the goddess?

Whilst the princess proceeded to explain all that had happened, along with the two Twilight’s beside her. Discord gave a weary smile, the fight, magic and now this revival spell had all taken their toll on the tired immortal. There had once been a time where he had adored chaos, but after living through this for so many centuries, the chimera was simply too tired.

Blue Blood opened his eyes, and stared into the gleaming purple eyes of Rarity. Slowly, his lips twitched into a smile. “I...” He whispered, causing the pony and dragon to lean in and listen. “I...Must be in heaven...” He wheezed, gazing up at the dazzling pony. “I am looking upon an angel!” He smiled dreamily. Spike bit his lip, he understood that the stallion must be delirious from whatever had been done to him, but he still didn’t like the flamboyant compliment to his beloved Rarity. Rarity gave a wry smile.

“I suppose he’ll recover if he’s able to try and shmooze me like that.” With that she stood and embraced Spike hard. This caught the dragon off guard, and his tired muscles refuse to hold them up. Soon enough they were both lying on the ground, the platinum pony draping her hooves over the dragon’s scaly chest. “I’m never letting go of you again!” she sobbed, tears of joy breaking out from her eyes.

Slowly, Spike’s surprise faded, and he gently brought his hands up to the love of his life’s mane and ran his fingers through it. Only when he caught a glimpse of the blood encrusted on his claws did he stop. Staring at the shining tips his mind replayed what he had done. He could suddenly feel Draig’s jaw giving in and falling wide open, he could still smell the burning flesh. He could still remember what the monster inside him had done!

Rarity could tell he was distracted, without a word she shot up from his chest to his face and kissed him forcefully. Yet again, the dragon’s surprise faded to comfort. And this time, he didn’t falter in his happy thoughts.

..........

Blueblood was up and moving now. With his scars and wounds healed he could easily move (If not a little stiffly) so he made his way to his aunt. Luna gave out a wail of relief at the sight of the stallion. She outstretched her forelegs and the stallion quickly ran over and embraced her.

..........

Applejack realised with a plummeting feeling in her stomach, ‘BIG MAC!’ She turned to bolt over to the collapsed tree, but was meat by the sudden obstruction of red fur, and the sudden stench of sweat and apples filling her nostrils. Applejack backed up slightly, gazing up at her big brother. As the two smiled down at each other, the mare’s eyes brimmed with tears. Suddenly she jumped and clung to his neck holding on for dear life as she wept with tears of relief.

..........

“Princess!” the ragged looking Shining Armour saluted, wincing as his shoulder screamed at him in pain. Celestia turned to him, smiled at his devotion even in this moment. With a slow shake of her elegant head, she gestured to the agitated looking Twilight; who was staring at her brothers many war wounds with concern.
“I say we can forget about everything else for now captain.” The princess said serenely. With a relieved smile, the captain relaxed. And in one movement, spun around and swept his sister up into a tight hug. Twilight laughed as he hind legs soared through the air as her brother spun around holding her.

..........

"So what now!?” Pinkie asked excitedly of her now nearly identical twin. Pink gave a small smile, and then glanced down at her stomach. Carefully she reached up and ran a hoof gently across it, a look of deep thought on her face.
“I want to have my baby, back home.”
“Huh?!” Pinkie asked her mouth falling open in disappointment. “Can’t you have it here? I could be auntie Pinkie!” She seemed to inflate at the idea, but Pink gave a gentle chuckle.

“I’m Pinkie remember? Wouldn’t be a little confusing for the little guy?”
“Nuh-uh! We could...” Pinkie’s idea stopped dead, she couldn’t think of what to say for the first time in a long time! Slowly she realised what was being said to her by the leader of the other ponies. “You’re leaving?” her lips pouted slightly, trembling as was her mane as it threatened to fall.

“NOW STOP RIGHT THERE!” Pink demanded, catching Pinkie off guard stopping the tears she knew were close at hand. “Don’t you DARE feel bad about us going! It’s because of you and your friends that we can!” Pink took hold of Pinkies cheeks softly, making her identical blue eyes meet her own. “I came here, with soldiers... I came here to find a world that could keep my troops safe...” She beamed at Pinkie, her eyes now brimming with tears for her own.

“We have it now, back where we came from. With her gone...” She gestured at the empress, still unconscious and wheezing nearby, now under stern covalence by Discord and Celestia. “We can clean up the world; If we can go and make it even a fraction of what this place is like...” She squeezed slightly as she made her point. “Then that’s where I want this child to be!”

Pinkie’s eyes finally gave in, letting the tears fall freely. Through her sharp intakes of breath as she sobbed she asked weekly. “Will-we-see each-other-again?!” Pink bit her lip, unsure of what to say. But soon enough, her salvation came in the form of her husband.

Discord shouted across the group to gather. So, slowly, and painfully in many cases, the group all made their way to him beside the portal that the empress had created. Around it, the bubble of magic she had made was beginning to ripple violently. When everypony arrived, he began to speak fast.

“When I altered her spell, I added a little bit of power for just this situation. With no horn she can’t hold this thing up any longer. With my magic, I kept it up so I could explain.”
“Explain? Explain what?” Twi asked, she had thought this was all over! That they could live their lives peacefully now!
“This is a doorway, a corridor to our own world. Unlike when you all arrived, you used a burst of magic, making you almost like a bullet shot from one world to the other; this is more like a tunnel. A tunnel that cannot be closed.

Immediately Celestia’s eyes widened. “You mean, that all the foreign magic from their world...”
“Yes.” Disc nodded. “If it doesn’t close, when the barrier drops, there’s nothing to stop all of its magic from flowing out into this world, overdosing every unicorn in Equestria.”
“WHAT?!” The group of ponies all yelled in horror.
“B-but. I thought it was only the empress’s magic that was doing that!” Dashie squeaked, her voice fast losing all its newfound confidence from the past few hours.

“It is.” Said a strong female voice from behind them. They turned to see Luna, her horn glowing faintly as she made her way towards them. Behind her, her magic dragged the forehooves of her unconscious sister through the air. Even further back stood Prince Blue Blood, using the same spell on the empress’s hind legs. The two carried her through the air as they approached the gathering around the portal. Taking a slow breath, her head still spinning from her long imprisonment, Luna picked up where the chimera had left off.

“This world is in harmony, ours is in chaos. Hence all the magic within our two worlds are opposite, when the magic fades, and our world’s magic invades, it will clash with your own. This is why it only affects unicorns.” She looked to the chimera. “Am I right?” Discord gave a curt nod.

Pinkie dashed forward, looking up at Discord, he big blue eyes still brimming with tears. “So that means when you guys clear things up you can come back with no worries right?” Disc looked at the small pink pony and sighed. He crouched down to his knee and looked her straight in the eye.
“Yes...but... chaos is hard to erase... It could take years to balance out our world again, even centuries!” Pinkie’s eyes increased in their flow of tears.
“Y-y-you mean...”
“We’re not gonna be able to come back...” Dashie moaned sadly, her own eyes filling with tears as she looked at Fluttershy.

“Yah mean, never?” AJ asked the draconequus, who simply nodded sadly. “Well then I’ll stay here!” The country pony protested.
“You can’t.” Disc protested, his eyes flashing with worry as he glanced at the ever fading barrier.
“Why?” The orange pony asked stubbornly.
“The door won’t close without us all on our respective sides!” He snapped angrily. “For once in your stubborn life Applejack! LISTEN TO ME!” In his frustration, he forgot the assigned nicknames for each of the ponies of his own world.

AJ glanced over at the real Applejack. In her eyes, she was the real one, the one who had lived a full happy life with no worries, the life filled with fun with her brother. A life that would have made the pony so much different than the world filled with hate and conflict. She wanted to stay.

“Is there no other way?” Twi asked miserably, turning to Twilight, giving a silent goodbye with her eyes.
“I’m afraid not.” sighed Celestia, who had now come to stand century beside the portal. “Everything from their world must return... including...” He voice died as her eyes wandered to the small yellow corpse on the other side of the clearing. Without hesitation, Rainbow –who was unusually morose- spoke up.
“I’ll get her!” Pink took a step forward towards the cyan Pegasus, trying to tell her it was ok, that she didn’t need to, but the pony had already set off in a fast paced canter to the motionless mare.

Once she arrived, she slowly and carefully pulled the forehoof of her friend over her shoulder. Then stooping low to the ground, she buried herself beneath the now cold pony’s stomach. She stood up from beneath Flutt, forcing the yellow mare’s head to fall on her left flank, and her haunches to droop over her right. Then, slowly making sure her precious cargo wouldn’t fall, Rainbow made her way back.

It was strange, knowing that only hours ago, this mare was alive and flying better than the rainbow Pegasus herself. Now she was gone, with a simple wave of a hoof, her entire life had been stolen from her. It was strange.

Rainbow arrived just in time to find Luna and Blue Blood carrying the empress through the now fracturing bubble. The fact the three royals could pass through it proved how little power was left within the force field. As they stepped into the world of darkness that lay beyond, Luna turned back and smiled at them all. Her lips moved, yet no sound seemed to escape the force field surrounding the rift. And with those unknown words, she left their sight.

“Well, let’s get going...” Discord said, his usually cold demeanour cracking slightly as he sighed and passed the boundary of the bubble. With a quick smile to Celestia who stood close by, he turned one leg in one world, and one in the other, holding out his lion paw for his wife. Pink began to make her way there. This time Pinkie stayed where she was, she simply sat there, her eyes the size if dinnerplates as they filled with tears.

Dashie came over to Rainbow, dipping her head low to allow the local pony to pass their deceased friend over to her. Rainbow’s eyes began to frost over to, and once Flutt had passed from her possession she fell to the ground beside Pinkie and cried with her. Dashie turned to Fluttershy. Her confidence had ebbed away with the prospect of leaving, she couldn’t find many words. But out of the mist of her worried mind, she thought of five that seemed most important to her. All else needn’t be said.

“Please...look after Little Mac...” Fluttershy took a deep breath, trying her best not to weep like her two friends close by.
“Of course. I’ll go find him, and give him a nice home!” The words came easily to her, and the two smiled at her lack of hesitation.
“Bye Fluttershy.” Dashie moped, as she turned and made her way to the gateway.
“Bye bye Dashie.” Fluttershy whimpered, silent tears ebbing down her cheeks.

“So I guess this is goodbye.” Twi mumbled, feeling a little awkward, she hadn’t had the time to relate to her double like the rest had; she had been asleep most of her time here. But still, she felt a panging pain in her chest as she said her goodbyes.
“I guess...” Twilight pouted, “I like having another me around.”
“Me too!” Twi laughed, and the two shared one final happy moment. As their moment laughter died, the saw each had tears of silent sadness in their eyes. Quickly they gave each other a tight hug.

“I guess, I betta get goin’” AJ grumbled, without another word she turned her back on her hatless double and Big Macintosh.
“Hey AJ!” the mare turned back at the sound of someone calling her, though her face was set in stone, her eyes truly showed how she would miss this wonderful peaceful place. It was Big Mac who had called to her. “Your brother would’a been proud o’ yah!” AJ froze in her approach to the gate, staring at the two siblings looking back sadly. Without a word, AJ rushed back to the two and flung a hoof around each’s neck and gave a quick embrace. Then turned and rushed back to her own world.

The country pony overtook Dashie as she made her way to the gate, though time was short, the Pegasus wanted to stay here as long as possible. AJ jumped through the portal and vanished from view, just as Pink and Twi reached the waiting chimera. Both the earth pony and the Pegasus looked back one last time before making their way to their own world.

The group, all with tears in their eyes, watched as their newest friends made their way home. Pink reached for discord’s hand and as her ears were about to pass the barrier of the spell, a shout rang out from behind them.
“WAIT!” Dashie and Pink turned, though he hadn’t heard the cry, Discord looked up to see what they were looking at.

Slowly, pushing Rarity gently aside, Spike stumbled forward. He winced and grimaced as his cuts opened in protest, and his ribs creaked horribly. He was sure at least three were broken! Yet the dragon gritted through the pain, grinding his teeth as he took a few fragile steps to the staring pair. Rarity whimpered at the sight, she tried to run to him. But an unfurled pure white wing stopped her in her tracks. She glanced up into the glowing face of the princess. “Let him do this, then he is yours for as long as you wish.” The fashionista blushed slightly at the princess’s words, but stayed still.

Dashie watched as the dragon made his way to her. She hadn’t even spoken to him before, so she had no clue why he was making his way towards her. Though still scared, she turned back to face the limping creature as he approached. “I...never got the chance!” He murmured as he came close to the Pegasus. “To say... I...was wrong!” finally, his exhaustion got the better of him and he fell to his knees. Yet again Rarity’s heart panged to go to him, yet she stood firm waiting to hear what he was saying, she had no clue what he was talking about!

Not content with how far he’d come, Spike began to crawl forward, not until he reached Dashie did he stop. Slowly he reached up, Dashie could see the shadows of fatigue deep in his eyes as her pink stared into his emerald green. Slowly the dragon took hold of the back of the pony’s head and pulled her close. Her cyan ears twitched as she waited to hear what he wished to say.

“I’m sorry!” He whispered. Dashie opened her mouth to protest, he hadn’t done anything! But as her gaze fell on him, she saw he was speaking to the lifeless Flutt on her back. “I’m so...SORRY!” He repeated, clenching his eyes against his bitter tears. “I didn’t get to say it before...before... I was wrong! You weren’t to blame! In my own anger, I hated and blamed. When all the while, the blame rested with me!” Spike looked up into Dashie’s eyes, which had yet again begun to fill with tears. This time for the beauty of this moment, that this dragon, who barely knew them felt he needed to say this!

“I’m sorry!” He said to the Pegasus, who nodded weakly. Spike then glanced at pinkie over her shoulder. “Please...forgive me!” Pink stared back, her face showing nothing but surprise at the dragon’s caring words. Maybe there was hope for dragons after all! Pink gave a solid nod. And with that she entered the portal.

Dashie, unable to stand the misery of leaving another moment, turned and bolted for the portal. She jumped, and as she soared over the threshold of the portal. The barrier shattered like golden glass, Discord gave one final wink to them all, before his two horns glowed, and the tear he gazed through began to seal itself. The last thing the group saw of the other world was a twinkling red eye gleaming back at them as the gateway closed forever.

In the silence left behind, all that could be heard were the saddened breaths of the remaining ponies. Rarity now rushed to Spikes side, checking that the now collapsed dragon was ok. Shining Armour turned to the battlefield preparing to deal with the bodies. Only to find the black stallions fading into nothing, all that remained as their surfaces bubbled away was their silver armour.

Even more, the white stallions had already been mostly moved. He glanced to the side to see two Pegasy and a dark blue mane’d pony moving the troopers’ body to the side of the road. Suddenly feeling he wasn’t alone, he glanced to his right to see Big Macintosh stood beside him. “We got some work to do I think.” He said, before moving towards the closest body and moving it in the most dignified way possible. Leaving Armour to catch up.

“Twilight, I believe that it would be best if you and Applejack go and find your other friend, the one who flew outside when her house was set alight?” Twilight realised who she meant. Immediately the unicorn and country pony headed for the most likely place she would be. (Sugar Cube Corner)Only leaving the three still slightly crying ponies left beside the now simple open space of the town centre. Celestia gave a small sigh of her own sorrow. “This will need to be explained in full, I must return to Canterlot to record these events my little ponies. I’m sorry.” With that she turned away heading for an open space to head off.

“NONONOOOOO!” Pinkie cried, bolting out from under the sniffling Rainbow and Fluttershy, and running straight to the princess. “I want to come with you!” Celestia frowned at the odd request.
“Whatever for?”
“I want to talk to you about possibly helping someone out.”
“Someone?” Celestia’s frown deepened in confusion.
“Yeah, you see, their Discord has all the memories of our... Well he is the same one as... I’ll explain on the way. But please, we need to go now!”
“Why?” Celestia asked, not understanding the rush.
“He’s nice! He’s not mean, he’s really nice. He’s the only one who’s the same everywhere, and he helped us! That means he’s not as bad as you think, he’s all frozen up and that’s not fair!” with that Pinkie was off, cantering towards the train station as fast as she could, leaving the bewildered Celestia to follow slowly.

Now only Rainbow and Fluttershy remained. The two sniffed hard, and shook their heads trying to calm down. Finally after a moment, they gained control of their emotions once more. They stood there in silence, gazing at each other. Then, meakly, Fluttershy let out a whisper. “I’m going to miss them Rainbow!” Rainbow nodded, still with tears in her. (Though less severe as before) She reached out and held her friend tightly.

“Me too Fluttershy...Me too!”

Comments ( 4 )

Bittersweet endings... I foresaw it true, but they never get less touching.

768894 good to hear! ;D would never want to give a story that doesn't give them exactly what they've come to expect, (a sad hint in ever story!) :raritywink:

Excellent ending bro

Login or register to comment